Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

Come to Mac track on Edit: Saturday.

Gotta redo the rocker cover gasket, it's leaking pretty bad at high revs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NASCAR-style qualifying is so boring, have they ever just run heats?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope the wr450 comes in that scheme, too

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Warp9 are gonna make some forged alloy supermoto wheels. No official statement yet, just leaked details. They'll also have a set with a built-in cush hub.

http://www.toxicmotoracing.com/shop/supermoto-wheels/312-warp-9-forged-supermoto-wheels.html

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'm not sure about racing yet, but I'd like to do a few track days for sure.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

It' going to be pretty casual. I wouldn't stress it too much, the group that's developing so far is in it for fun not for glory. They're building jumps for the pavement sections (Rad!) little kickers, plan to have dirt sections, but also have pavement only classes, lots of open classes, knobbies class, etc. Something for everyone.

Yeah, I'm in. I'm thinking novice and asphalt only.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to own one in 8 years! :smith:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went to the Tri-Cities Kart Club with a handful of other goons last weekend, it was a blast, even though my bike didn't work for poo poo.

They let me borrow a 350XC with a trials tire on the front and a flat track tire on the back, though, so it was all good. It grips better than you'd think.

It was also a drat good showing. I'm bummed I'll miss the first race in the Cascadia SM series.

(Photos are by Gollous, I think. Or he might not be a goon at all)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JB50 posted:

Why didnt your bike work for poo poo?

First day: the caliper was pretty gunked up and only one piston was pushing under normal pressure. That pad would heat up and I'd lose brakes on the first pump after 4 or 5 laps. If I squeezed the lever another time I'd get some bite back, but it was straight to the bar on the first pull.

Second day: clean the poo poo out of the caliper and pistons, make sure the spacing is all good then go to start it up and it won't fire. I check it and I'm not getting spark. A resistance and continuity check on the ignition coil was giving me no continuity on the primary coil, but normal resistance on the secondary. It's either a case of Italian electrics, or the BATTERY MAX warning on the bike was something to be taken serious(it popped up because I pulled the lights off :shrug:)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize the Duke II looked so good with a dirt fender and headlight. I might want one of these in my life.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Four valve head, so I guess for power or casting or whatever it makes more sense to give each valve a pipe. I've seen quite a few thumpers do that(including my sm610)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here we go, round two of supermoto track time!

No brake failures or missing spark after the first practice, so it should be a pretty good day!

Edit: crashed once in the dirt, and once on the pavement. Turns out mud is slippery and you shouldn't decide to try knee out instead of foot out in the middle of a corner, especially if your front has already been chattering all day. A+++ would crash again

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 10, 2016

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like my bike is getting it's weak spark problem again :sigh:

I have a feeling that having no lights on it is overloading the system and killing the pick up coil for some reason, or maybe it's just heat? Either way, this didn't start happening until I started racing it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got on practice and heat races as well as one full final race. It stalled at the end of the final race, weak spark. I got it slapped together but missed the start of the second race, but went out when it was clear. It started coughing on the straights and died again at the end. Maybe it's just overheating the cheap pickup coil I put in it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks like my bike is getting it's weak spark problem again :sigh:

I have a feeling that having no lights on it is overloading the system and killing the pick up coil for some reason, or maybe it's just heat? Either way, this didn't start happening until I started racing it.

After doing some reading, it might just be negative pressure in the fuel tank. The one-way valve was on the 'wrong' hose nipple for a while, letting gas spill out an open tube every time I hit the brakes hard. I 'fixed' it this week and didn't have trouble until it got really hot out, but I can hear the gas cap trying to suck air in. Maybe I'll just drop money on a fancy new cap-with-vent assembly and just plug that stupid vent off altogether.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"You didn't even reach balance point"
:goonsay:

*farts away on a KZ550*

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Went to the last race of the year for cascadia supermoto. The sm610 is out again, so I was intending on just shooting stills and video. Another rider was kind enough to let me take his yz450 out for the asphalt only class. :getin:

Then I crashed it in the first corner of the warm-up lap. :smith: some combination of cold slicks and a weird track surface I think made me lowside.

But then I passed two dudes in the heat, and finished 5/8 in the race, so all good.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gullous posted:

T1 on that track is pretty odd; smooth concrete with some camber change and dirt on the inside. Glad you made it and had fun!

That corner has claimed many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0684itih14

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at supermoto brake and suspension setups for my new-to-me YZ450, and I'm curious what kind of guidance you guys can give on those. I've been searching eBay a lot and considering getting a Magura fork lug put on a spare set of forks(lowered and sprung for sumo), then running a brembo caliper and master cylinder off a fashion Ducati or something like that. Will that be good for racing, or would I be better off buying one of those Braking or Moto-Master kits for a bit more?

For suspension, I'm gonna try to find some forks that fit my year for cheap, then drop them 2", respring, gold valves, and have someone else install that magura fork lug because it sounds like a tricky job. So that if it ends up screwed up, it's on someone else. The extra shock I'll drop 1" and respring as well.

Is it super worth looking into 16.5" front wheels? I don't have tire warmers or anything like that, but then again I don't think I'll ever really street this bike. I guess it's all a matter of what you can afford.

Also, looking into getting a Hinson or STM slipper clutch, depending on which I can find cheapest.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Graphics got here before the wheels, so prettyfication begins

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They do yellow plastics for anniversary editions. 2017 was the 60th.

Looks pretty good, too, but I prefer white and red.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brake questions: should I go with an s1000rr and hope it's narrower than the cast monoblock I can't use, or go for the eBay FTE caliper off an Aprilia sxv? If you have personal experience with the FTE I'd like to hear it, it came on the KTM SMR as well and people seemed underwhelmed with the setup. Or if someone can give me a measurement of the s1000 caliper from rotor center to back off caliper, that's great too.

Edit: the monoblock needs 7mm to clear, but wall thickness is less than 5.

Edit 2: Using the highly accurate method of "measuring ratios on eBay pictures", I'm pretty sure the S1000RR caliper is around 3-5 mm narrower than this monobock. I think I'll roll with that instead.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
First track time on the new sumo. poo poo's lit.

I only got in 1 1/2 sessions unfortunately (ran out of gas the first time out :doh:), but the bike ran great, the front pushed a little bit, and I got passed by a 9 year old. A really loving fast 9 year old named Rossi, but still. Still need to sort out that messy catch can, get a crankcase breather catch can, and finish up the rest of my safety wire drilling, and at some point I'll swap in fork springs and drop it about an inch.

Also attention WA moto bros: A SECOND MX TRACK HAS HIT HORN RAPIDS

click for huge

It's right next to the kart track and looks pretty awesome. There's the regular outer ring track, and the inner ring is a pretty gnarly arenacross-style track.

Edit: oh yeah, here's that Rossi kid's new race bike. I talked to his dad for a bit, and he apparently won his class in a new Juniors mini-racing series on it. Their next race is in May.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 16, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally found an image of me on the supermoto in someone else's action cam footage. Apparently all the hobby photographers on facebook race the same classes I do.

I finished 4th in Asphalt-only(slow group) and Novice. Gotta git gud.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went away from the flask catch can to an RC airplane fuel tank ziptied to the swingarm. There just aren't a lot of good mounting points for catch cans on a dirt bike.

Here's a poorly uploaded video of the Novice main. I take the lead when the faster guys take the first corner too hot, but I start getting passed at 2 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5ZoaCBsPg

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 16, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I felt pretty good, but my line for corners 2-3 needs the most work, and I should've stuck with the outside line in the dirt because I think it's slightly faster. Also wish I worked harder in practice to rut the kickers, because that poo poo was waay too harsh.

I think I can brake later and just be smoother as well, I was riding on PP 2CTs vs slicks on almost every other bike, still not sure my suspension and tire pressure is dialed in, yada yada, It's my third race so there's plenty of room for improvement. I had a blast, though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A lot of dudes run tires with siping on the rear, which increases their traction from "nearly non-existent" to "flintstoneing it for drive"

Traction is good enough for the hardpack stuff we ride on, though. I rely on momentum and berms to keep me in line and moving quickly.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My supermoto decided to poo poo the bed(head gasket issue maybe), so I ended up shooting video at 240 fps instead. Click the gif for the hq version.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0UKzFNki3c

Finally finished up the Cascadia supermoto video, enjoy!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A gaggle of goons went to a supermoto thing north of Seattle.

Evergreen Raceway hosted a practice day last Friday, so me, Grizzled Melkaba and Gullous headed out there in lovely Friday traffic.

It was $35 for open practice with pauses every half hour or so so they could transition between the full track and asphalt only.

Gullous was clearing the longer double(30 ft?) along with a half dozen other people, and I finally started trying it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBCuJFws3is

Earlier in the day my ambition outweighed my talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc_hLKDQXqI

Sliders took all the damage, I didn't even touch plastics. However, I did split the palm of my glove and rub a hole in the elbow of my leathers, and hosed my shoulder up pretty good. Thankfully the injury didn't effect my riding at all, so I still got nearly 2 hours of seat time in a 4 hour session. Best $35 I've spent in a while.

(I cropped a bunch of photos, but they're all taken by Koji, fyi)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I found out we can rent an entire kart track out in tri-cities for $350, as long as it's a weekday. Tri City Kart Club hosts most of Cascadia Supermoto's races as well.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fourth race of the season happened a couple weekends ago. Only one amateur photographer there, so only one photo of me keeping up with a fast rider(yeah she's injured and only going 3/4 of her race pace, but)

Would've finished first in the beginner class by a big amount, but I stalled in the dirt section and lost a ton of time.

Also recently stepped up my sumo game with slicks and a 16.5" front.

They're takeoffs and I don't have warmers, so good luck to me in the first two laps :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got it first time with the same tape, it's good stuff. Spokes should be set if they're new, but I'd double check tension beforehand anyways before putting tape on. I also set my tape overlap to the opposite side of the valve stem. Then, getting the bead seated might be a bitch, so put a ratchet strap around the circumfrence to help seat the bead. Also take the valve out of the stem before filling it, then put it back once the tire pops in place. Take it slow and good luck!

• Locked thread