Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I sat on a DRZ yesterday and I will agree that the suspension has a LOT of travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Who out there has taken an off road bike with no street legal counterpart and was able to plate it and everything? Pretty much sold on the stupid idea of getting a CR500 to chase down quids on.

Edit: I'm in nebraska and I beleive the only things to make it road legal is Headlight, tailight and possibly a horn. Though I don't really know the proper methods to get it plated aside from going to the dmv and telling them its road legal now.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I usually wear a backpack or some other method for carryin poo poo so premix wouldn't bother me too much

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Now, I plan on buying a DRZ SM and also doing some trail riding. Would it behoove of me to invest in some 400E forks to swap out when I plan on going off road. I also plan on investing in some secondary wheels with some dirt oriented tires.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
You guys are terrible. I want a KTM now. Most likely a 625 SMC. Thoguh I should really be getting a DRZ so I wouldnt have to make payments on the extra few grand I need.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Also a soon to be happy new owner. Saturday I'm pinking up a KTM 620 SX converted and tagged already. 12 hour drive on Friday. Can't Wait

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
So I was planning on going to texas and picking up that black 620 but the seller backed out. I was pissed but managed to find a great deal on a KTM 520 MXC converted over. Also come with dirt tires :dance:

Very dirty. I know

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Not letting the SM thread go to the second page.

Did my first stoopies on the KTM last night. Even with the dirt bike brake it will still pick up the rear with enough force on the lever. Stoppies are so scary :cry:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Whats the easiest way to get the bike on a stand?

Lifting it sucks, especially by yourself and having no previous dirt bike history either doesn't help either. Was hoping that having it on the stand would ease my roommates worries or hitting one of the bark busters while she was parking in the garage but not the whole bike is no where near the wall anymore.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I really didn't know if I could trust a moving parts/pneumatic jack so I bought one (non moving parts jack stand) at Harbor Freight. I think I'm doing it wrong

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I jumped off a landing dock today, bike took it really well, I didn't. I need to not let my feet slip off the pegs next time. Then I did lots of wheelies and stoppies. I love this bike :rock:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Rode it in the sumo setup for the first time, want it geared shorter (13t front?). Also fell over acting like an idiot! :woop:

Had a few wheelies too.

Yeah I fell over after doing a stoppie in front of some other bikers too. Got up laughing with nothing hurt other than pride.

Jabs posted:

A loading dock?

Yeah typoed, meant to type loading dock, not landing dock. Either way yes, my balls did hurt after feet slipped off the pegs.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I stand by my statement :colbert:

I totally agree, spokes are the poo poo. Plus if you gently caress up a forged cast whatever alluminum rim its gonna be a lot more expensive to replace than just a few spokes and a new outter rim.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Mine is held on with two zip ties at the top. I have it running the longways up and down and it is already bent about 30 degrees in the middle. :sigh:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Just placed an order for the oversized EBC rotor off motostrano with a new bracket. Bought an early 90s style Ducati Brembo front caliper. And some new mirrors since the acerbis one on there now really sucks for anything that involves looking behind you.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I want to give my street bike with motocross supension some more acceptable stiffness. Would race tech springs be worth a shot?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Got my upgraded brake caliper (Ducati style) and a new 320mm rotor (EBC) but when it is all bolted together the pads are horribly interfering with the rotor buttons. Measured the braking surface of the EBC at 30mm then the braking surface of my Ducati with the same style brake at 40mm. Hoping motostrano will know what rotor will work for me.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Yes that one with the 40mm mount. Though there is nothing Ducati about it, I've just seen on supermoto forums people call them Ducati style brembos.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

The coworker/friend of mine who bought a 1198S as his second bike after 8 months riding a Bandit 600 had been talking about getting a supermoto recently. I'm constantly talking them up to anyone who would listen and got really excited when he seemed interested. Came into my office today to discuss them a bit more.

:(Hes going to buy a Hypermotard 796.:(

I rode a Hype 796 and I was greatly let down. definately not the power I was expecting. Even my older carbed 900 had more spunk than it. And definately nowhere near the same as my KTM 520

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The 625's are corked too if I remember right. New Akros and fixing the throttle stop will bump it from 30hp to nearly 60.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
It came from the factory restricted, possibly for tiered licensing in the UK or cheaper insurance. I'm not quite sure why they did it. Either way stock it has around 30hp. New pipes and getting rid of the throttle stop will do some crazy things to that bike :)

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The SM is the Spy vs Spy bike

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The long straight at MAM would really suck for the SM. But the rest of the course would be pretty decent, not great but decent.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
This is the supermotard thread. Its not brake dive, its you being a wimp and not lifting the back wheel

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
When braking sit on the very back of the seat. The only the the CBR felt like it had better brakes was because they could bite harder without flipping rider and getting the most out the tire. I know you aren't maxxing out the front wheel braking traction on the KTM.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I taught my friend how to ride my 520 and that'll pop the wheel up really easy in third gear even, but she had no problems with the bike other than managing the tallness of it. But supermotos are great beginner bikes so long as you aren't going to get crazy in first gear or jam on the brakes. Super awesome maneuverability and lightness that is great for someone new. Even if you do crash, Hey its a dirtbike!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
People in here do clutch up wheelies? My 520 Ktm would power is up in 3rd with a slight bounce on the front forks to give it a little extra bump up

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Yes, they are lightweight, very easily maneuverable, and you are upright and thus can watch traffic very easily.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
My dirtbike didn't come with turn signals

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
What have I done...

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I also own this little guy, It decided that the timing chain wasn't necessary... It will run again some day :smith:

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Hadn't thought about a big bore kit. I never got around to pulling the head the see if there was some valve/piston lovin. Its just on the backburner for now.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I will be riding my Superduke from Omaha, Ne to The golden coast in August, not quite as epic as a cross country 250cc trip but still I've got a lot of weird looks when I tell people that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I thought the general rule of thumb with DRZ-SM's was that you don't buy one that hasn't been down atleast 3... maybe 8 times?

Good bike otherwise :cheers:

• Locked thread