Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Another of the DRZ army. Black SM with black frame (09) and motherfucking BARBWIRE bng's.

No real engine mods, just the pipe and rejet done on delivery, (no 3x3). Plan's include setting up suspension for me and riding until the warrenty runs out, Then Pricing new gear and brake levers (or bending the OEM's so i can move them down without them hitting the frame) and Pricing a carb, cam and highseat, and seeing if that price will get me onto a 690SMC or keeps me with the Z+Mods.

I don't think i can ever go back to a bike that i cant see over cars in traffic, its just so convenient.

dietcokefiend posted:

Ok this poo poo has made me want to reconsider buying a SV650. With the DRZ400SM what sort of range would I be looking at for an average tank of gas? Are their any supermoto bikes that can handle longer range stuff comparable with a sportbike?

If your asking this its prolly not meant to be. Commuting i fill up at about 150km's, i could prolly hit 200+ but i dont have the balls to try. I commute 180km's each way when i ride to school, But i do have a corbin so its better than the standard seat and i dont do it often because I dont like loading up the bike with Km's when i can just catch the train.

When on the throttle the economy drops, alot. Iv hit reserve at 100-110km's before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

mattfl posted:

Has anyone here ridden both a drz and the ducati hypermotard? I've been riding the ducati at their demo days the pas couple weeks and was wondering how they compared. I LOVE the ducati, I want it now but the price might be out of my range. I know the drz has basically half the HP and feel a little bit different just sitting on it compared to the duc. Any opinions?

Comparison? One is the cheapest road ready 'motard' and one is the most expensive road ready 'motard', And theres a big gap. Both are too heavy to be thrown around like a converted bike, but one is still like 100 lbs lighter than the other.

If i had Ducati money i would look at KTM's or Husky's or maybe just buy 2 bikes?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Well, I was trying not to flat out say the hypertard isn't a motard because it might sound stuck up, but yes it's really just a big monster with stupid plastics on it. I can't really see a reason to own one really, I'd just buy the monster or super sport ducati sitting next to it.

EDIT: drz suspension is set up for someone about 80kg's, but even with me at 30kg over that it wasn't super duper spongey or anything. It would dive under breaks though.

I recently got the suspension changed for me and the different is just amazing. It's just a dream to ride and i have preety much not decided to jump over to a ktm now. It's not a quick bike, but I didn't buy it to be one and it does everything I will ever need it too.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 19, 2009

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Superman!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Whitesnake_2! posted:

KTM 690 is by far the best sumo bike for rich street riders. It has the power of a race 450 (about 60hp) and it has the durability of the drz. Plus it's only 307lbs!

They cost nearly twice as much as a DRZ in Australia. :mad:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Ducati Hypermonster 796.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/ducati-hypermotard-796-smaller.html

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Depending on the crank, that's gonna have like 70% more hp over stock. Assuming there are cams in there somewhere.

Am i the only person that seat bolts are a loving consumable? I've lost 6 and i just bought another 10, :(. Can't wait to get my mods done simply so i can just locktit the poo poo outa my seat.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Driven makes the only front sprocket that will fit with the stock case saver left intact.
There are plenty of other cheaper ones that will fit with mods too/ or without the case saver, but iv never heard of anyone ever having to cut down swingarm plastics.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I have a DRC lift that is preety Rad. Once it is up, its locked mechanically from the lever, its not just hanging on the piston, so if the piston did fail for whatever reason it isnt gonna fall onto the ground, its just going to lock into the lever.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Absolutly everything under the loving sun you have ever thought of or will ever think about concerning a drz is on thumpertalk Z3n, and normally not hard to find.

Unfortunity the average IQ of most posters is about 35.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Jabs posted:

OK, I'm gonna go with intentionally hilarious at this point. :D

Nah. I can't spell or type, and the spell check isn't working for some reason. I was running out the door if i can use that excuse?

Aargh posted:

What'd'ya do? Copy this straight from Vice Magazine?

"Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Mines doesn't wheelie as easily as some people claim either (stock gearing, FCR, YOSHI poo poo Pipe), but i am a fatty.

I can feel the front getting alot lighter when on it and will sometimes lift a bit, but i think half the trouble is the crazy long throtle pull it has now.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 14, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
//offtopicish - Thumpertalk gets WORSE to get around with every loving site update they do, what is wrong with that company?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

PadreScout posted:

At the expense of sounding like I'm defending them, it is only part 1. Maybe part 2 is where they take off the factory poo poo, put some long travel poo poo on it, you know, maybe .... Yeah, I think you're right.

quote:

With our bike looking cool, in the next edition of Project Ducati Hypermotard, we will do some more tuning to up our power with some more warranty friendly Ducati Performance bits. Until next time!

Noooope.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
its obviously the 0.000000000000000000000000001 more hp from lower intake temps.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
*Engine explodes on warmup lap*

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
The FI rumour has been around for like 5 years, And doesn't the cali bike with the PAIR (or blackbox or whatever it is) already pass emissions?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

How would the RMZ in SM form stack up next to the current motor with a flatside carb?

RMZ is much much faster. DRZ with BB, (LOUD) Pipe, Carb, Cams, Tune is about 40-45hp. RMZ is about 50hp stock.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 15, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Endless Mike posted:

Utility may be an issue if that includes carrying more than you can fit in a backpack, but other than that, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Get a rack (and a hardcase if needed).

number million why sumo's are awesome.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Ebay hardly gets used in Australia when it comes to bieks and poo poo, try bikesales and forums and poo poo. Moped are impossible to find really, and are expensive for various reasons.

poo poo is kinda rare in general in NSW it seems, I looked for months upon months before just buying new.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

cmorrow001 posted:

Can someone confirm this is a "quiet,q,96db,corked up etc aftermarket pipe" exhaust before I change jets this weekend. (as opposed to a "aftermarket pipe with open muffler " per ThumperTalk)

I had it set to an open muffler before but my brother says its a corked aftermarket pipe and I think he's right.

Hopefully this will fix some of my carb issues. (a good cleaning included)

Click here for the full 1152x864 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I think that's a Yoshi Ti? Which is the 2nd best pipe for the DRZ, and is not a "quiet,q,96db,corked up etc aftermarket pipe".

Search a bunch on Thumpertalk for pictures to confirm and jetting for it, its a very common setup.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Isn't that an RS2? it looks round?

Google tells me that this is a Ti,

and Yoshimura-rd tells me the same.
The Arrester can be pulled out to free it up if its still in there.

Either way, the power of a DRZ pipe is all in the header pipe, long low sweep is bad and the sweep back straight from the head is good, so it might be making power even with the arrester in there, I have no idea really.

EDIT: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506721&highlight=yoshi+ti+spark+arrestor

Full Yoshi Ti
3x3
FCR-MX:
155 main jet
200 main air jet
EMN clip 3
45 pilot jet
NO pilot air jet (removed it)
Fuel screw 2 turns

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Brake HARD, Transfer a bunch of weight onto the front wheel and lighten the rear, planting the appropriate knee into position hard up on the tank.
Grab the clutch and dump it down 3 gears.
Weight pegs, tip it in. Rev match, release clutch hard, let go of brakes slowly as it tips in. Apply a bunch of throttle.

Power wheely out of turn to stand bike back up.

There's nothing particularly different about getting a sumo turn than a sport bike. Its just that due to the more aggressive geom and lighter weight it can turn in so so much easier. You can weight the front wheel more than on a sporty but its not essential to the successful turn in of the bike.

There is counter-leaning (and foot-out, foot in) but that's another subject, so really do the same as the sporty,(turn the bars, weight pegs, shift bodyweight), just don't yank it hard and land face down on the pavement.
Leaning shouldn't feel uncomfortable or anything.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I don't think they ever released them, they were stuck in limbo for years.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
How in the hell have those sliders not rattled off yet? mine were gone in weeks.

06 is post the 'lol-orange-gearbox' period right?

Dubs fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 27, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
KTM's have orange gearboxes.

They used to break alot or something, in the early 00's

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Spiffness posted:

You paid for the whole seat but you'll only need the edge
________________//

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
What in the world is that... it just makes no sense.

( Me grimlock angry supermoto. )

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Z man himself will be back shortly with an 8 page comparison of the two.

(There's a few of them in the last few pages I think)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

upsidedown posted:

That might not be a bad idea. With the exchange rate the way it is at the moment that bike is about half the price of an equivalent 690SMC in Australia.

Also if you are looking for LAMS supermotos the 625 and maybe the 640 are LAMS approved (as are the Aprilia SXV if you are crazy and the DRZ if you are not).

You can't really plate overseas bikes I don't think if they where sold here or vintage. Recent Huskys are LAMS awell and probably the best bet if you don't want a 625/640.

I bought a DRZ because it was like 9k new vs 16k and 17k new.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Well when they crash it in a week, it was due for an engine rebuild anyway. right

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Only the Tech 7 Supermotos and the SIDI Crossfire SDCGDNTUSN's have replaceable soles.

If I was buying Tech 3's for the street I would buy the MX style over the ATV style. The ATV style has some pretty aggressive tread. That said, I dont own either, and these no chance in a million years id buy Tech 3 over the Tech 7 Supermoto for the extra hundred or so. (or thousand or so of the SIDI's)

FAKE EDIT: Apparently you can send them to the A* Factory and pay for resoling or something, but gently caress that noise.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Pretty much everything but the 690's and later LC4's are LAMS I think.

I looked around for about 8 months for a good 2nd hand DRZ SM, I even bought another bike whilst I was looking. In the end I just bought one New to save loving around.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I have bridgestone dual compound on my 400, BT-23's I think (The sickier of the touring compounds, not the sumo BT compound). They are pretty rad for mileage and I like the shape of them.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Aargh posted:

I'm starting to seriously consider picking up a DRZ, just need to sell my current bike first. What are they going to be like for someone 6'5" and about 220lbs?

You can come ride mine if you are ever in Newcastle.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
It took me months of searching to even find a few overpriced NSW DRZSM's that I would have even considered buying. I gave up eventually and bought new (actually because I wanted a black frame)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
When I say months of searching I mean 8 of them. I even bought another bike in the mean time.

This was a few years ago and its far better now, but there was so many badly modded/maintained or high mileage bikes that people are just asking far too much money for. There's no real reason for the prices and its not just the LAMS sumo's.

It might not be that Sumo's don't drop in money compared to all bikes, but maybe that other LAMS and sportbikes just depreciate more than average?

EDIT: I regularly saw people trying to sell a few year old bikes for under RRP, but more that I could buy one new for. Peeps are dumb.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
The Yamaha would also be better if you wanted a 250 or a 'newer' bike. The kawa's just in a kinda of odd place with the other two common bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I'm pretty sure there's a bridgestone dual compound tire for lighter bikes. I tried to get some last change but the only shop in town could only get 1 tire. I want to say re 92's or 84's... but those aren't bike tires according to google.

• Locked thread