Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

ReelBigLizard posted:

Can anyone explain to me how a slipper clutch makes backing it in easier? I'm just curious.

They don't make it easier.

Unless you're Gary McCoy, backing it in means rear wheel moving slower than front wheel. You can slow the rear wheel down by abusing engine breaking or by applying rear brake.

Slipper clutches limit the "back-torque" you get when downshifting lazily, giving the engine a chance to catch up before the clutch is fully engaged.
It's easier to break the rear end loose without a slipper clutch because you've got the full force of that sloppy downshift's engine breaking to slow the rear wheel for you. The downside is that if you over do it you'll lock the back wheel completely, which is a lot less fun.

If you do have a slipper clutch you probably have to apply a little rear brake, but again too much brake and you'll lock the rear and have a near-death experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread