Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
I want a supermoto RIGHT NOW :mad:

In terms of maintenance how do the KTMs, Aprllias and Huskys compare to the DRZ400SM? If I ever get one I'll probably use it for commuting, so I don't want to be messing with it every weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

It generally doesnt make much sense unless you're racing. By the time you take a 450 or whatever, and buy wheels and tires, different gearing, the proper brake disks for the rims, revalve the suspension for the street (if you're really going to do it right), add a lighting coil, put in the wiring, lighting and switches to make it street legal, and jump through the registration hoops, you generally could have just bought a supermoto.

What about getting a used (road legal) xr500-600 or something and slapping some 17" rims on it? Cos that's what I want to do :haw:

But then again, that would probably be narrowly cheaper than a second hand DRZ. I guess the only problem would be finding one that wasn't thrashed, which they all probably would be.

Spartak fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2009

Spartak
May 12, 2007
Hmmm yeah good points.

On a local bike tv show they showed a guy smoke a field of pre-'82 classics in a street race on his XR500 converted supermoto. Made me think what if..

I'll start putting away money now and I guess by Christmas time I'll probably have enough to get a used DRZ locally, or get one new on credit for the remainder.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
Yeah that could be a good idea, and I would still be able to ride a 250 on my license. But wouuldn't the 21"+ front wheel mess with things though, like corner entry etc?

• Locked thread