Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Alright, I'm sure this will come off sounding a bit :downs: but why do people riding sumos always seem to drift everywhere? Are the tyres available in supermoto sizes just not sticky enough, is the surfeit of suspension travel to blame, or is it just because they can? I mean, I can understand if they're doing it just because it's fun, but you'd think that they would be a lot more predictable through the twisty stuff if they weren't breaking traction on every downshift. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Alright, fun-ness aside, wouldn't it be quicker around a track to just rely fully on brakes (and engine braking, natch) when going into a corner, and just keep traction the whole time? It kind of sounds like the old argument for the scandinavian flick - it used to be faster to drive that way in rally, but once suspension and tyres reached a certain point, it was faster to just keep grip all the time.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Alright, that makes a lot more sense. The only time I've ever had my rear tyre break loose in a (reasonably) controlled fashion, is on the track, on one particular corner, and that's under power, not under deceleration.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Thanks Z3n, I think I understand things a bit more now. Backing it in, with your knee down? loving awesome.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Just saw a VStrom 650 in person today while I was at the dealer getting tired mounted and it has made me lust over it again. Why do so many motorcycles have to be so awesome :(

Don't take it out for a test spin, because then you'll truly be hosed.

Out of curiosity, what's it like, sliding a sumo around in the dirt sections? I assume that the tyres are either full slick, or treaded road tyres, and thus would fare pretty poorly on the dirt.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm assuming with intervals like that, the crank is probably also a consumable? :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, that looks like it would be a really awesome way to spend a weekend.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Number 40 should be able to pull out of that slide okay.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Really, really jealous that you can buy something like that - Yamaha doesn't see fit to sell it to NA. :(

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Looks like both ends have let go, judging from the skid marks. I'd say that's a pretty well timed photo of a highside (if he catches it).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That's a drat tidy looking sumo.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Damnit, you're not helping my resolve to not buy the 690 enduro and a sumo set of wheels. :smith:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Has anyone on here owned a Husky TR 650 (of either flavour), and how would it stack up as a potential around town hooligan tool, versus a KTM 690 Enduro on a set of warp9 wheels? Would I be better off looking for a TE 610/630? My point of reference is coming from a DR 650 and enjoying it a lot more in the city than I had any idea I would.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Soooo... I bought a 1986 Yamaha XT 600. On a scale of 1-just buy one of our 690SMCs, how expensive/difficult will it be for me to make it into a :krad: vintage hooligan tool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So should I bother looking into fork swaps from later motocross bikes, or just leave it be? Also, how exact do I have to be if I want to track down a spare set of wheels to mount the sportsman tires onto? Same rim diameter/width and close enough sprocket, or keep searching until I find someone parting out another XT 600?

• Locked thread