Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm buying a supermoto as my next bike. Unfortunantly, probably not until after race season, unless I stumble upon a screaming deal. But they are awesome.

Best KTM SM commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2wsSL0RFEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Alright, I'm sure this will come off sounding a bit :downs: but why do people riding sumos always seem to drift everywhere? Are the tyres available in supermoto sizes just not sticky enough, is the surfeit of suspension travel to blame, or is it just because they can? I mean, I can understand if they're doing it just because it's fun, but you'd think that they would be a lot more predictable through the twisty stuff if they weren't breaking traction on every downshift. :confused:

Because tail-sliding a bike into a parking spot is awesome?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Alright, fun-ness aside, wouldn't it be quicker around a track to just rely fully on brakes (and engine braking, natch) when going into a corner, and just keep traction the whole time? It kind of sounds like the old argument for the scandinavian flick - it used to be faster to drive that way in rally, but once suspension and tyres reached a certain point, it was faster to just keep grip all the time.

It allows you to "cheat" the apex, time that you'd usually spend getting the bike turned, you can already be on the gas.

Plus, SM tracks are slower with tighter corners, so they encourage a more loose style. You don't go faster backing it in on more open corners, but you do when you'd spend a lot of time at full lean, getting the bike to come around, so it works well on the really tight stuff. Plus it gets the bike wider and you take up more space on entrance.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gr3y posted:

Okay, so after I fix a bunch of other poo poo in my life, I'm thinking about getting into racing. Right now I've gotten in narrowed down to:
1. A supermoto
2. A shifter cart
3. Buying another Miata and possibly doing a Spec conversion on it.

Do any of you guys race sumos competitively? If so is there a national sanctioning body to sign up with or is it mostly local clubs? How much do you need to transport to the track?

Do you steeple chase like on dirt bikes?

And most importantly: Is that poo poo as fun as it looks? Because it looks like you should be cackling like a maniac from start to finish.

Where are you located? I know there's a number of Sumo orgs out here in Cali, as well as some weekend races at the kart tracks.

Simkin, if you'd like to see the difference between SM style backing it in and backing it in on a streetbike, it's like this:

Streetbike:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1960255438960244472&ei=u2bCSebaHp2wqAPs5om9AQ&q=siglin+backing+it+in&hl=en

Supermoto:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8462378466997568582&ei=92nCSeL9Np2wqAPs5om9AQ&hl=en

You'll see that Siglin's back in line before he even starts to approach the apex, whereas the SM guys will take it all the way to the apex and past it. There's some showboating in the SM video that makes look a little different, but the exaggeration there helps show the point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Thanks Z3n, I think I understand things a bit more now. Backing it in, with your knee down? loving awesome.

Yeah, hayden's got the loving :psypop: all over the place.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Well I just dont want to be filling the gas tank up ever single day when my commute to work is 30 miles round trip :v:. The larger tank option does look great though. Do most dealers have the supermotos on display or is it generally a "you know what you want and you buy it on order" type of deal? I would love to see one in person to get an idea of the seating position.

Most suzuki dealers will have a DRZ400 SM on the floor...they're pretty popular bikes. At least that's been the case at every suzuki showroom I've been to recently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Generally cheaper, as parts are both abundant and there is a huge aftermarket.

I met a guy who had 65k miles on a DRZ400S (Same engine, chassis, different tires and suspension) who'd done nothing but standard fluid changes, adjustments and lubing the chain.

Did he have any mods to the bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dubs posted:

Well, I was trying not to flat out say the hypertard isn't a motard because it might sound stuck up, but yes it's really just a big monster with stupid plastics on it. I can't really see a reason to own one really, I'd just buy the monster or super sport ducati sitting next to it.

If I were waiting for a upright duc, I'd be waiting for the streetfighter to come out. 3.3 gallon fuel tank on the hyper seems pointlessly small too. They're cool bikes and all, I just don't understand the obsession that some people get with them. It's a standard with tarted up plastics. My SV will make the same HP with a good tune and pipe (although be lacking torques) and it's heavy as hell for something that's supposed to be a SM replica.

Hell, though, if it blows your skirt up, buy it and enjoy the gently caress out of it. I know that the friends who've bought them love theirs. I just don't get it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

At the request of Z3n, quick review of the supermoto class I took the other week.

I took the newbie class with http://www.supermotoschools.com at the Prarie City kart track outside Sacramento. Cost was $315 which included the bike rental (Honda 230CRF). There were two instructors and four students which worked out great.

Instruction format was pretty fluid, we started around 10AM walking the track with Brok pointing out different things to keep in mind while riding. After that we were pretty consistently on the bike, with a whole bunch of short breaks to get out of the heat (was 100 degrees that day).

Before lunch we did a few drills to practice certain things like correctly weighing the outside peg, braking, turning the bike in, and body position. The small class size was nice, got a lot of one on one time to get pointers and stuff.

After lunch was pretty much free track time with lots of opportunities to talk to Brok and Seth about what I needed to work on. They let us ride until we wore ourselves out. We switched up the track layout a couple times and even got to ride it backwards. Brok had a DRZ there that he let us try on the track also. Hilariously fast compared to the little 230s. By around 4:30 I could barely walk and called it a day.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the class and the instructors. The only complaint I've got is the lack of totally awesome pictures of me, but thats my own fault for not bringing a camera. Luckily Brok took a few of me. I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable on the DRZ now thanks to the class. Definitely need to get out to some more track days and get better so I can take the advanced class.

And of course pictures:

Click here for the full 1496x900 image.

Click here for the full 1641x1137 image.

Click here for the full 1550x1010 image.

Hrrrm their next date is up at infineon on the 15th...I may have to do that...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dubs posted:

Superman!

Epic tailwhip there.

Starts are always such a clusterfuck. At the last AFM race, we had someone get clipped and dumped and then hit. He shattered his pelvis, femur, and 2 vertebrae. I thought that it was oil from a dumped bike that made up that stain on the front straight...it wasn't :(

Also, am I the only one that thinks that that looks vaugely photoshopped?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

My usual ride is a DRZ which I commute to work on regularly. Its all surface streets and 50mph roads which its perfect for.

And yes you should do the 15th class z3n. 'Course then you'll have to buy an SM and its all over.

I don't think I can do the 15th class, unfortunantly.

However, they offer personal classes for 1200$ for up to 6 people, and I'm pretty sure I could get 6 people together to go without any issues. That's in Sac though, and I'm not sure how much it'd be for infineon. Either way, I've got a couple of people interested already.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

I'd definitely be interested in doing another class with them if you put one together. Keep me on the short list. Contact info's in my profile.

Cool, I know how these things go so I figure if I get 12 people who are absolutely confirmed and ready to go we should have about 6 who actually make it. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Drewby Drewby Drew posted:

No wheelies, I promise.

Let's not be hasty now. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

With the Thor graphics and all, I'm suprised you didn't park it on some old lady or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's awesome. Dan Sewill is one of the fastest SV650 riders in the AFM and a hell of a nice guy to boot. I've always wondered if that was possible, now I know. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FlyinDoc posted:

Yeah, it's cool as hell, but I still can't help cringing at the thought of the punishment that the suspension internals are getting - mostly that "landing" picture where both ends are bottomed out and the front tyre squished flat. It almost looks like the rim is flexing slightly.

Worth it though

Yeah, that's a loving brutal ride for a bike that's capable of winning an AFM race, but I still think it's awesome that he did it.

I wonder if any damage was done to the bike. That landing pic is beyond insane.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I hope he gets some new suspension components to swap the SV between road race and SM, then starts winning motos on the SV.

Well, 4th in his heat isn't half bad, haha. The guy has serious, serious skills.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Just wondering, at what point in a slide do you get back on the throttle? It seems like cracking the throttle while still crossed up would be a recipe for a high side, and that once the bike is tracking straight again is when you get on it.

What sort of slide? Braking or on the throttle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rode it to work today and it actually wasn't too bad for commuting. Even took the interstate home, thing easily hits 90 and has a fair amount in reserve. After work I traded my textile suit and laptop for my leathers and headed for the twisties. I didn't actually intend on going to the dragon but like every other time I go out I ended up there. The bike really shines there, plenty of power and even on the lovely tires (Avon Distanzia) there was a lot of grip to play with.

I haven't talked to her about price yet but my roommate mentioned that she had talked to him about selling it for $4500, it around 15k miles. I'm not sure if she is flexible on the price or if that is even what she will ask but what are your thoughts on the price if it was $4500?

I'd definitely go for it at 4500$. That's a lot of work that's been done and if you dig it you're not gonna find a better deal on a DRZ.

Now the flip/evil side of it is that that's almost KTM/Husky money. And you'll spend a fair bit more getting a DRZ to handle like a KTM. But they definitely have an appeal all their own.

Does it have a brake kit?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rode the DRZ down the the BMW dealership to pick up some parts for the E21 today. Turns out the parts guy used to ride one, is now riding a WR450 he converted. And its for sale $2800, he said it is converted and has some work done to it but no specifics. So if anyone in the Knoxville area wants a WR450 motard or knows someone that does let me know and I'll try to get you some info. I would be tempted if I didn't just pick up the DRZ.

:argh: Why are you all the way across the country.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks, I was thinking it would be pretty drat heavy for a woods bike as well. Will start looking for mid 90's two smoke to play with.

Also the speed humps they put in neighborhoods down here are way too much fun on a motard.

You mean the wheelie indicators? :haw:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sharp_angus posted:

Thanks for the info!

I'm asking mainly since if I got one of these (either one of these or a GS-500e), it'd 95% stay on regular city roads, but to get out to the fun stuff involves taking some county road/highways (80-100km/h speed limits). I'd also like to just get out and ride somewhere up north once in awhile, which doesn't sound like an SM thing.

The real question is how much you're willing to invest in it. I'm selling a 1200CC touring bike to buy a supermoto...and I'll probably ride it from SB to Seattle. It requires a different approach than just slabbing it somewhere, but who really rides a motorcycle to slab it places. The idea is to see and appreciate the stuff that you don't normally see...

If you're a real badass like Spiff, you do 850 mile days on your sumo because...you hate yourself, I think.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

gently caress you for making me want to spend more money on the KTM. I had my heart set on the DRZ mostly because of the price.

In all seriousness, I'll be keeping my SV and buying the supermoto as a second bike. Realistically, I'd commute on the SV and play on the supermoto but I'm pretty sure want to take it to work as well. I have a 25ish mile commute and 23 of those miles are on the freeway. Sounds like a bigger KTM would be better than a DRZ.

All I have to say is...same same same and I'm buying a KTM.

KTM should loving give him money for advertising for them so well. I'll probably only have the KTM, though...as a do it all bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

How tall is tall? I'm 5'8", 5'9" with my boots on. I guess I should sit on one.

They're tall but they sag quite a bit. I've 5'11 but I've got a 30 inch inseam and I can still get a foot down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's a DRZ, all the haters can suck it. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I don't know how to feel about that site, but I...I strangely like it.

Also:

Because you always wanted to grip a clear dildo as you rode your bicycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

abigserve posted:

Guys, I have the option (and the cash) to buy either a husky SM610 or a drz400sm in the next 3 months. Has anyone had any experience with the husky? There's a few for sale in my area, which is really unusual given my area has one of the worst motorcycle markets around.

They're not quite as balls to the wall as the KTMs, but definitely an upgrade from the DRZ...basically, I'm into tinkering so I went with the DRZ, and when it's done it should be fairly comparable to the Husky, both in performance and in overall price. On the flip side, the Husky won't require any serious mods and will pretty much be ready to go from the start.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

abigserve posted:

I'm not as much of a tinkerer...what bits and bobs have you added/modified?

By the time I'm done with my DRZ, it's gonna have just about everything modified. I want to ride off and on-road, so I'm gonna have 2 sets of wheels (Offroad in stock DRZ-E sizes and 17s for supermoto), suspension upgraded, brake kit, exhaust, bore kit, new carb, plus a bunch of other random stuff. If it were a toss up for me between buying a newer DRZ400SM and the husky, it'd be the husky. I'll be buying an older S (dual sport) model and modifying it to supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The 6th gear is one thing I really, really wish the DRZ had. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

god i know, I ride my gfs and i hit the top and I JUST WANT ONE MORE PLEASE

It's the only 5 speed I've ever ridden like that. I think the gearing is too offroad compromised to really work great on the street. I'm gonna mess with the gearing on mine, but I have a feeling that if it gets tall enough for 5th to act as a decent highway gear, 1rst is going to get too tall for wheelie fun. We'll have to see, but sprockets are pretty cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's really absurd. The bike would be a lot better with a little more spread between the gears. But on the flip side, it's a very engaging bike to ride up until about 55mph thanks to that close ratio box. But it was also bizarre to ride it up a tight road and have to shift it so much. It's probably made worse though because of the top end of the bike being effectively lopped off by the restrictive stock exhaust...I need to figure out some way to let it breathe better without making it super loud.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ant mouth posted:

I thought a new bike was on the horizon so I too was looking at the sm610 and DRZ. The thing I considered the most was maintenance and upkeep costs. The 610 will be more costly especially if you say you are not a tinkerer. In the end, it turns out I couldn't get a new toy. But if I had, it would have been the DRZ due to the maintenance intervals, their general bomb-proofness, and the amount of miles I put on.

Also, if you are looking at used sm610s make sure you find out what click the cam chain tensioner is at. They recommend it changed when it reaches 8-10 and shops charge a hefty amount for it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403478

It's not too difficult to change the cam chain out.

Here's the general ADVrider husky 610TE/SM thread...ADV rider has some great resources.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431

And the husky has the same 3k oil, 6k valves as the DRZ does. A lot of that power comes from the additional displacement the husky has over the DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Where do the Aprilias stand when compared to the Huskys for a street motard?

Factory oil change on the Aprilia is 1k miles, but basically everyone I know who owns them changes it at 500 or even sooner. You change it every 3k on the Husky.

The aprilia is a highly, highly tuned, tiny Vtwin. It's like running a race 450 on the street, not even closely comparable. The factory recommendation is piston replacements at 6k but I think that's under race conditions, it could probably go longer under street use.

pr0zac posted:

No offense, and I might be misunderstanding you, but if you're thought process is "I don't want my supermoto to be too annoying to other people" you're really doing it wrong.

It has nothing to do with being annoying to other people (although it's a nice bonus) and everything to do with avoiding cop attention, and avoiding annoying myself on long trips on the bike.

ant mouth posted:

I was under the impression the factory recommendation for valves was 14k on a DRZ.

Weird, I seem to have all my valve adjustment intervals mixed up. I'd check them more often than that, just to be on the safe side, most people seem to check them every 1-3k, depending on how anal they are. But those people also report that they don't see any change, either, so it seems to be a mixed bag.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Allright tards. What's the deal with flat slide carbs anyway? What's with a flat slide that makes the motor go unf unf better than a, umm, round slide?

Your answers lie in this picture:

Edit: Not a sumo. But one of them played one once, so it counts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Aha, so less restriction for a given diameter basically.

Blamo. Plus they're not tuned for emissions requirements, so you can blech out sweet, sweet noxious emissions to make power without worrying about the jerks at the EPA harshing your buzz.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's tolerable. It's not good, but it's tolerable. Then again, I'll be riding mine 2800 miles over a bit more than a week this summer, so what do I know? :haw: There's a lot of options for seats, gel seats, corbin, renazco, refoamed stock one, etc. I'm gonna put a larger windshield on mine, find a seat that I like, and ride.

I may lengthen the gearing slightly to reduce cruising speed as it ticks over around 6k at 65. It'll cruise all day long at 55, 70 it starts to get uncomfortable unless you're gonna gear it taller.

vvvvv Yeah I'm gonna be putting a bigger fairing on mine.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 1, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sw0cb posted:

How maintenance intensive is owning a drz400SM? I understand they are pretty simple bikes but I know on some of the dirt bike stuff the engines don't hold up to long.

Dead simple. The engine will go the distance if you take care of it...people have had upwards of 80k on the E engine, I've got one in the garage with 36k on it, 6k of that with a big bore kit, no problems although it may need a cam chain soon...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Z3n,

This is how you are supposed to do it. :golfclap:

Yeah if I didn't have to ride it 2800 loving miles to get to ride with your lazy rear end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I crashed my DRZ like 4 times today, no problems. Just had to pick the loving thing up, it gets heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:argh:

I desperately want one of those for my DRZ :(

Where'd you find it and how much did you pay for it?

• Locked thread