Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Partial Octopus posted:

Can someone give me a basic rundown on how to set up stock suspension the drz400sm? I'm going to my first track day with the bike soon and I have no idea how it should be set, or how to set it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you checked chain slack?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

So, my 690SMC rattled its gear selector bolt off today. Awesome. Oh, and it's melting its own indicator behind the exhaust. Christ I love this bike.

e: Is it normal for them to have a wheezy sound when starting?

https://www.facebook.com/timothy.shipston/videos/10153914896367812/?pnref=story

Should be public.

Also, don't mind me, I'm pretty tanked atm.

That weezy sound is a little strange, I don't remember mine making that noise. Maybe pop the starter off and look for weird wear, inspect the connections, etc?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah just shove the pistons back in a bit and you won't have any issues. If you wanted to go all endurance racer you could lightly chamfer the edge of the brake pads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah uh that's actually cheaper after inflation than the release price of the 690 SMC.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Get hype son

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hooray

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Did someone say supaaaaarmotoooooooo

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pn4CoQhT2-4

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If a supermoto wheelies on a road and no one sees it, is it illegal?

wallaka posted:

Karma's a bitch.

:golfclap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Throttle cam looks too wide.

I wouldn't buy any drz with work done, who knows how well it was done. You want power, buy a 690 SMC. You want something cheerful and unintimidating? Buy a drz. You want something a bit better than a drz but not as crazy as a 690? 610/630/690 SM.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Can you really forget something you don't know?

Edit: ...supermoto?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDqs0bQ6Ew

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mursupitsku posted:

With engine work I meant engine rebuild. Apparently things that were replaced in the engine rebuild were piston, valves, camchain, clutch plates and springs and some other bits. Also it has the manual cam chain tensioner. No bigbore kit or such. It has been driven for 10000km after the rebuild though.

If it needed a rebuild at that point something was seriously wrong with how the motor was treated, as they should do 25,000 miles (40,000 kilometers) no problem with just basic maintenance. Of course, everyone runs them low on oil, forgets to check them, and then they explode.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those early lc4s really redefine paint shaker.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

It lugs if you're below 5krpm in higher gears, and then it's only 3k till redline. I find it easy to hit the limiter.

It really doesn't matter, honestly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those would be fine, ya.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I really wasn't a fan of the Hyper - test ride before you buy if you haven't already.

Also njoy ur stalls when cute boys are looking at you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I test rode it twice, once in lovely PDX traffic right at 5pm, and again yesterday. I got to get up into the hills and open it up on Skyline and Germantown, two roads I know really well. It's definitely not a supermoto, it corners completely different obviously. However the seating position and ergonomics are really nice and not to far off of the WR. The added weight and difference in center of gravity is taking some getting used to, however you can still hustle the thing around corners MX-style, I just don't hang my leg out like I did before. So far I am really enjoying it. I don't dread taking the freeway now like I used to on the WR, which is nice.

I bought it today and put about 200 miles on it. I love it so far.

It just didn't quite mesh with me the way I expected, which is why I cautioned you - glad you're enjoying the bike.

It still does OK wheelies, even if I didn't mesh with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn6hg1hJcCY

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

"You didn't even reach balance point"
:goonsay:

*farts away on a KZ550*

I blame the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ya if you're looking for model specific advice / modding guidance for your use case start a thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You're really best off creating a thread here and telling us what you're looking for change-wise - there's a lot of modding you can do to a motorcycle, depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Without having some direction, you might just end up with us recommending you put apes on your sportbike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Listen buddy the bike is perfectly fine as long as you replace a known bad part constantly that the factory won't stand behind until you get sick of it and upgrade to a Yamaha part.

I didn't know Yamaha made replacement doohickies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just watch a few videos on YouTube and budget a bunch of time. A HF wheel balancing stand, or setting the chain off to the side, a nice spike wrench, and setting a reference item (zip tie!) to visually see runout on the rear wheel is all you need.

• Locked thread