Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is there anyone that's done a write up on the RM250 stuff or is it really that simple? Just grab the triples and forks and away you go? Are there any other years that are compatable/worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^ that's spiffness's DRZ.

Jharkov posted:

There were basic write-ups on TT detailing what fits what and which year models.
The RMZ 250/450 forks aren't a bolt on.
The RM250 from 2005 onward is direct. Top & bottom triple clamp with stem, direct bolt on. DRZ stock wheel and all.

Hrm, ok. It looks like the general consensus is that you still have to revalve and respring because the DRZ is a fair bit heavier, but I guess if I'm gonna be buying a front end, may as well go for the bling upgrade. How about the brakes? I'm doing an SM conversion at some point, stock E stuff fit just fine?

VVV beaten, lol.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's perfect, I was actually wondering if the 16 tooth would fit on the front, as the 15 is already drat close to the swingarm pivot, me and the g/f need to extend the gearing on the bikes for our long trip this summer, and a 16 or even a 17 front would be ideal. Plus then I can just swap the front sprocket to gear it back down for the track and hooning in seattle.

We've got a motomaster 4 piston with the relocator bracket on the front of the g/f's DRZ and you can remove the front caliper and get the wheel off with 17s. It's real close, but doable.

There's a guy selling a Marzocchi front end, I'm sorely tempted to just suck it up and buy that, it'd go nicely with the theme of putting lipstick on a pig and expecting it to act like a lady.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

I love putting lipstick on my pig :D
I just need really good suspension to push it hard in the single tracks. On my XR650R i was leaving behind KTM 300EXCs and the like in the single tracks, when i put CRF450X suspension on it.
I'd go for the Marzocchis.

Yeah, I'm just not sure if I can justify dropping a grand on them. Sigh. Maybe I can find something else, who knows.

We'll see if they're still around when I've got money again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

You can pickup an RM250 front end for like $250
Is that for the 05+ models?

I can't seem to find any on ebay but I'll keep an eye out. I also need to see what was done with the rear shock on the DRZ, as they don't have a huge amount of travel to spare and apparently the g/f's DRZ has a shock with a Honda logo on it. What is going on...:psyduck:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sorry to double post but:

Jharkov, who makes your 16t front sprocket? Did you have to trim the swingarm plastic down a bit? I'm thinking I'll run 16-39 or 41 for trips and have a 14 tossed in the saddlebags for play time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks, I'll grab 2 of those.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Anyone have any experience with the WR250x, especially as compared to a DRZ? Right now I'm looking at a very well maintained '06 DRZ with 7k miles for $3400, and a '08 WR250x with 4k miles from a dealer for $4000.

The whole modern fuel injected thing is tempting me, but is it really worth the extra money considering the lower displacement?

I wouldn't. Buy the DRZ...the WR's a decent enough bike but the tires are tiny and weird sizes and impossible to find decent rubber for, plus no aftermarket, no used bikes for parts, etc.

They're fairly comparable if you just compare them as bone stock motorcycles, but the DRZ has a shitload of potential, support, and parts that the WR just doesn't have.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Haha, what kind of crazy rear end crabon brakes are you used to that the DRZ brakes make you wonder if you'll stop in time?

His right hand's not his, uhh, dominant hand.

You should ride something with the full setup though: Lines, pads, master cylinder, calipers. It's like the hand of god stops you, it's amazing. One finger stoppies isn't just a figure of speech. My SV with the brembo stuff made using more than 2 fingers utterly, totally pointless. That setup on a supermoto would make your head explode. The g/f's DRZ with the motomaster stuff and the stock MC is already pretty amazing, with the full brembo kit, it'd be astounding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Whats the easiest way to get the bike on a stand?

Lifting it sucks, especially by yourself and having no previous dirt bike history either doesn't help either. Was hoping that having it on the stand would ease my roommates worries or hitting one of the bark busters while she was parking in the garage but not the whole bike is no where near the wall anymore.

It's a dirt bike, just leave it in gear and lean it against the wall. Bonus points for sliding it sideways with the rear brake into it's resting place.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

God that thing is gorgeous. Where'd you get the Edge taillight? I need something similar for mine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

I got it from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com
Great service from that place.

They really clean up the tail on the bike. especially when you get their LED indicators too.

That's a great site, they're gonna suck some money out of my wallet. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

I got the front end off ebay for $250 US.
Then i got it revalved and sprung by a local place in Sydney, they do the suspension for race teams of the Australian safari.
Cost about $800 US for suspension work.
You really feel the different with USD forks for Supermoto.

Do you happen to know what year forks are compatible? I recall you saying that the 05 RM (z?) 250 triples are the best with the most offset, but what forks can you put in there?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

All the RM250 forks fit, the RMZs have different axle sizes and caliper mounts i believe.
I cant find the link right now, but there is a thread on the DRZ400 Thumpertalk forum that lists all the offset degrees of each year triple clamp that fits, the 2005 was the best offset to closely match the DRZs geometry.
Thats where i got all my info.

Alright, I'll go digging. I checked last time but could only find scattered info.

Dubs posted:

Absolutly everything under the loving sun you have ever thought of or will ever think about concerning a drz is on thumpertalk Z3n, and normally not hard to find.

Unfortunity the average IQ of most posters is about 35.

That's what I thought, but their search engine seems to be questionable i use all the wrong search terms and it absolutely enrages me that google searches go to their archive site without an easy way of getting back to the main site. Petty, I know, but hugely irritating.

And yeah, I stopped reading one thread when someone suggested that we just flip our right side up forks upside down to make inverted forks. :downs:

Edit: Found it by searching RM250 offset triple...the old natethegreat post, thanks buddy, where ever you are....

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

These guys are loving flying. Just...insane.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Yeah but did you see these? Holy poo poo, these guys aren't really very fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXm1J_xnv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9b0JxfwyM

I did see those.

I'd talk poo poo about how you guys get rocked by everyone out there but you look like you're having so much fun that I just can't. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd ride it first and see...if you're not getting headshake while riding onroad, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Offroad, I have no idea.

Honestly, even if you are getting headshake on road, unless you're riding some really rough roads, you shouldn't need a damper either...that points to a setup issue.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 27, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rode it in the sumo setup for the first time, want it geared shorter (13t front?). Also fell over acting like an idiot! :woop:

Had a few wheelies too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I dunno, my Husky is supposed to be twice the horsepower of your DRZ and popping the clutch only floats the front end a couple feet (provided I'm leaning back). Then again, when I first got it I sat way back and almost crashed wheelieing around a turn.

Husky's are weird. Mine is calling for "Graphite Grease" on the threads of the new spark plug. Not only have I never heard of needing to grease up a plug, I can't find graphite grease anywhere.

There's spark plug specific antiseize, I've never used it.

Jharkov posted:

I just put on 16/40 gearing on the DRZ.
feels real nice cruising around.
But i think my jetting is out. Even with the 13/44 gearing for offroad, the thing doesnt like to wheelie.
Doesn't bog, just sort of... doesnt launch. I have to use clutch, even in 1st. Hmph.

I'm running 14/41 and it's a push to get the front end to BP in first gear without coaxing it with weight transfer and a tug on the bars. I think I'm gonna run 16/41 for freeway and 13/41 for track and hooligan.

With the 14/46 and offroad wheels, it'd lift and BP the front on a good smack in second gear...I guess the wheel size isn't different enough to make up for losing 5 teeth on the rear.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Yeah I fell over after doing a stoppie in front of some other bikers too. Got up laughing with nothing hurt other than pride.

Mine landed on my foot and now I have a bruise. :(

tarzanspuma posted:

Good, I don't want you wearing out that front tire.

I'll keep the stoppies down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://store.ktmtwins.com/58609001044.html

Alpina for life!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

Guys,

Is this fork action normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMvlDyNWRLU

Ive been chasing up this problem sicne i got these forks.

So when videoing this, i had the triple pinch bolts looseish, so its not binding from that.
The axle nut and axle pinches are also loose.

But they appear to be binding.
Also, they dont stick like that when the forks are off the bike.

Any ideas?

Looks like bunches of stiction. If you've already had the oil and everything else done, I'd say it's time to check that your fork tubes aren't tweaked. Stiction is a bitch and it seemed like I had to change the fork oil every 3-6 months on my trackbike if I didn't want it to start to develop it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

some other guys think my triple clamps could be stuffed.

Would the tubes be tweaked even if they dont do this when the forks are off the bike?

No, if they don't do it when the forks are off the bike, the tubes are probably fine.

Try this:

Loosen all the axle and the pinch bolts and carefully pump the suspension a couple of times. That'll get everything to center up nicely, then you torque it back down. See if it does it while everything is loose. Also, you can loosen and retighten everything on the top as well, in case things got a little crossed up during installation.

Do the forks slip in to the triples easily? If they do, chances are things are not bent.

Following that, I'd take it to a suspension center to get the geometry checked...it'll tell you a lot about your bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

My circumstances have changed and I've decided I am getting rid of my GSXR and going back to a supermoto.

I've had a boner for the WR250X ever since it came out. I'm 6'2" and about 175 lbs, and I've owned a DRZ400SM before with a 3x3 mod and a pipe. What can I expect out of a stock WR250X for the people who have owned one or ridden both? It would be used mostly for commuting year round in the NW, and the occasional short-track trackday. I've been mobbing around on a vino 125 scooter lately and have been having more fun on it than my GSXR lately so I'm kind of turned on by the idea of having a small displacement bike.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Is the maintenance schedule on the WR similar to the DRZ?

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=52362

Thread's kind of long winded, but good.

Personally, I wasn't happy with the power output of the DRZ stock (in E form, better cams and higher comp head gasket). It's good enough now that it has a flatslide on it, although a part of me still wants to slap a big bore kit on it.

There's no way I'd buy a WR250 though...for me the deal killer is the lack of a 4.25 inch rear rim, which means shoving a 150 on there isn't a good idea. Plus you could never get more power out of that 250 engine, it's already pretty much tapped out. A modded DRZ can get up to 60rwhp if you want to go totally crazy, and 40rwhp isn't difficult or expensive to reach while still being reliable.

The maintenance schedule is similar...my vote is the DRZ is already a small displacement bike for the hard streets of :911:, so ride it and love it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Supermotojunkie classifieds, Motostrano, thumpertalk classifieds and store.
Don't forget:
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fixed for SuperMotard.

And Zen, are Alpina still going? there were rumours of them shutting down not so long ago, not helped with their website disappearing.

We've had two solid weeks of sunshine here and it is rapidly killing my rear Avon PXR. I got a set after dropping the bike in the downpours last year (Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsas not so good in the wet) and this year it's been nothing but inexplicable, burning April sunshine. :mad:

I have no idea, but as much as I love the idea of a 2000$ set of rims on a 2000$ bike, I'm just gonna eventually unlace and powdercoat my rims. Probably when I swap back to dirt at some point.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Well god loving drat it then. I WANT fuel injection. I loving want it. I don't want to have to gently caress with a carb.

Guess I'll have to save some cash up and just sit on craigslist watching for a DRZ with a flatside already installed.

I guess I should explain my situation: I live in downtown Portland, in a building with a shared parking garage that doesn't allow vehicle maintenance. That said, they let me bring my GSXR up into my apartment to replace my ignition cylinder so my plan was to get a WR250X since they are small as hell and just push it into the maintenance elevator and up to my apartment each night. I would also be doing maintenance in my apartment. Ahhh, the joys of not being married anymore.

EDIT: Also, I am not interested in doing a bunch aftermarket stuff to it. I'd prefer just to slap a pipe and set of bars on one and call it a day.

Honestly, if you're buying it from someone who had it set up properly, you shouldn't ever have to touch the carb. Buy Spiffness's bike...I was going to do a fly and ride for a drat DRZ, haha. If you can fit your gsxr in the elevator, you can easily fit any dirt bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Test ride video didn't involve wheelieing it at every possibility. Would not recommend.

Seriously, what a loving boring rear end ride. The bike's not that impressive unless you're doing stupid poo poo all the time. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I had my first race on Sunday, unfortunately the camera only recorded during the practice session :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalBJPkKUMo

Maybe I broke it when I highsided, but don't tell Spiffness.

drat that looks like fun. Nice improvement on the dirt since last time you posted video too. And that track is beat to poo poo, drat.

Which highside aren't we telling him about now?

In other forms of supermoto hooliganery, we have a very, VERY rude lady splashing some helpless kids just trying to play by the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVcMMzmI6E

So rude!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Anyone seen this?
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1459/project-ducati-hypermotard-part-1.aspx

I assume so, but I don't have search so sorry if is repeat.

Kind of interesting. I don't understand their rational for why taking a sport bike and trying to make it more dirt like is better than taking a dirt bike and making it more streety, but hey- it's interesting if nothing else. Seems more of a naked hooligan conversion than a supermotard/hypermoto conversion to me though.

edit: They claim the whole " louder is safer thing" .. which I don't buy into, but otherwise- neato.

That's the most loving :downs: project ever.

"Hey guys, we put a factory exhaust and some factory catalog CF bits on our bike!" :downs:

If you're going to have a project, wouldn't you, uhh, do something besides order factory parts for it? Jesus. Make, fabricate, do freaking something besides spend money on ducati accessories. Anything. Goddamn.

They're also going to be really depressed if they ever put their super light duc on a real scale.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

At the expense of sounding like I'm defending them, it is only part 1. Maybe part 2 is where they take off the factory poo poo, put some long travel poo poo on it, you know, maybe ....

Yeah, I think you're right.

Not ripping on you or anything there. Just super disappointed, after they spend 2 pages talking about how badass a bike, blah blah blah, I expected something totally insane, on the lines of the crazy multistrada project. I was let down bad, that's all :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PadreScout posted:

I guess following their lead then, I can "hypermotard" out the K bike. I can find some old BMW crash bars for it, and maybe the K75R tupperware. Then pay the BMW dealership to put that poo poo on, and call it a project?

eh eh? Sounds like a ween-ar to me.

Nah dude, that's too much custom work. No one knows if that's going to fit, the only way to be safe is order all official BMW parts directly from the catalog.

Spiffness posted:

It's pretty cool how they took a dream... opened up the Ducati accessories catalog, and just ordered everything.

It'd be cool if they did it with a bike that was actually kind of worthwhile to upgrade...like putting a WSBK spec engine in a streetfighter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Turns out my battery is shot anyway. 2 batteries in 3 years. This sucks. I think I'll either install a kick start or upgrade to a nicer battery.

Grrrrr. If I didn't love this bike so much, it would have been gone a long time ago.

EDIT: I'd be down for new blinkers but I'm really broke right now, especially since I'm going to be buying a new battery.

Are you not putting your batteries on the trickle charger or something? Even the lovely batteries usually last at least 2-3 years.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

I leave it i a heated basement for the winter. I don't usually keep the charger on it all winter, I just charge it up in the spring. Am I hurting the life of my batteries by doing this? I had charged it up last week and went riding and it was already dead when I checked it last week.

Also, is it possible that my electrical system is causing the problem? Maybe I need to use the guide on TT to verify everything is working correctly. (the problem being I know 0 about electrical stuff)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thread/627031/charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod

Yup. Batteries are best when they're topped up and shallowly discharged regularly. The battery is designed to start the engine and then get charged back up to full. Get a trickle charger.

And it's possible that your R/R is hosed and blowing out batteries, but I doubt it. The check is really easy, just get access to the battery, turn the bike on, rev it to ~5k, and check the DC voltage at the terminals. It should read ~14v (manual spec is 13.5 to 15). If it doesn't, you've got a problem somewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Thanks for the info. I do have a trickle charger but I don't run it all winter, maybe I should start cycling it over next winter.

Also, I'm glad checking the voltage is so easy.

Well, I could have made a 35 step walk through ala the ninja 250 wiki, but I prefer to just...you know, tell you how to do it ;)

Also, why do I always wheelie best in the mornings? It makes no sense, but for some reason I can always rock these beautiful BP second gear clutchups when I'm still groggy in the mornings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Don't buy a slipon for the DRZ if you buy a pipe at all. The stock headers are hilariously restrictive, its one of the few bikes where switching out the full exhaust system can make a noticable difference. The slipon will do nothing but make your bike sound louder, and doesn't save that much money comparatively. Yoshimura also makes a few ok exhausts for the DRZ, though the MRD/SSW is supposed to be the best.

Also, price per performance the FCR-39 carb is a much better deal.

The only thing I'd add is that the E model has a much less restrictive header, so if you want more power with the same sound, an E model swap can open up a little more power. The flatslide is where it's at though, much better than an exhaust. Adds a nice intake noise too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Looks like I'll just leave it stock for now and when I really get the itch for noise/performance (and have more $$$) I'll just do the MRD/SSW + FCR at the same time.

It's like a brand new motorcycle. It's seriously absurd how much the flatslide improves things. Even with the stock exhaust.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Keep an eye on that link, maybe hit it with some extra lube and try and get it to loosen back up. Probably a lost cause, and I'd replace the chain sooner rather than later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I want to give my street bike with motocross supension some more acceptable stiffness. Would race tech springs be worth a shot?

Well, springs go hand in hand with valving. So you can swap out the springs but the valving may be wrong, causing issues with not being able to get the right amount of damping.

But it's definitely a place to start, and racetech is a good resource for figuring out what stiffness springs you need...I'd look at what they recommend, see what stock is, and decide from there if you'd rather go with springs or revalving the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Regeared the DRZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oonJC3vKhY

Definitely doesn't wheelie as good now.

But it handles normal riding type stuff pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EHFX3njytc

I really need to tape over the mic to cut down on the wind noise, I just forget. All the drat time.

Jharkov, I'm running 15/41 and it doesn't want to power up the front in first anymore. I think that 16/41 is going to kill any chance of wheelies in first without the clutch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

Yep, i cant wheelie at all on it now.
16/40 on the freeway is decent. But having ridden the BMW to work now, the DRZ feels bad on the freeway no matter what.
So i think im going to gear it back down.

Yeah, I need to figure out how my speedo is off due to the change in front wheel size, but there's definitely some thoughts a-brewin' about how exactly to handle the power deficit. I also think it may be burning oil, which means if I absolutely have to pull the top end to re-ring it, I may as well put a big bore kit in it. :D Could also just be single freeway-itis though. Any of the other DRZ owners have any problems with burning oil at freeway speeds?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Any thumper will consume oil at freeway speeds. My DRZ did it too.

How much did it burn roughly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Did either of you guys do your break in personally? I'm wondering where big singles burn oil from, because my g/f rides hers on the freeway a lot as well, and it doesn't seem to be burning oil.

• Locked thread