Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I rode my XR125L for the first time in months yesterday. My new 400 is currently off the road, and I needed to get to an interview, so I stole my XR back from the friend who's been borrowing. It's not a supermoto, it's a road-orientated dual sport, so quite similar, but I'd forgotten how much fun it is to ride.

There was a huge grin on my face when I finally got to the interview. I'd also forgotten how much a 125 lacks in power, but it makes it more fun when you're full throttle everywhere. Until you reach 55mph and get stuck there. That's not so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. Do it. Swapping between sets is easy. Half hour at most. Or so I'm told, anyway. Utility may be an issue if that includes carrying more than you can fit in a backpack, but other than that, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Even if you just limit yourself to a single backpack, that backpack can be a 75 litre hiking bag. They fit stupid amounts of stuff, and it's not as top heavy as people seem to assume. Plus bungie a roll bag/sports bag/duffel bag to the pillion seat, and you've about doubled your load capacity.

I have to learn to be careful about suggesting to people that they do things the way I do them. I appear to be missing a few bits in my brain. The sensible bits. Like the bits that would have stopped me doing a 300 mile road trip on a low-geared 125cc scrambler, with the aforementioned hiking backpack.

And the moment I get a garage and some disposable income, I am so getting me a DRZ-400-SM. I rode that XR-125L 80 miles last week to my sister's and I'd forgotten how much fun the riding position, the wide bars and . . . I dunno, but it was awesome, even if I was only running on 10 bhp.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Oh crap

I've been reading this thread for the past 4 days (drat life in the military, letting threads get away from me), had a quick browse on eBay late one night and ran into this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-drz400e-supermoto-enduro-swaps-/120907944915?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c26acd3d3

That's a very cheap price for that bike (particularly because it's not even an auction, I could just offer the buy it now). I am stupidly tempted. I was already thinking about another bike, I'm sure I can persuade my sister there's enough space in her garage for another bike (there's 3 already) and I reckon I could get my brother-in-law to pass his full test if that was sat waiting. More reasons.

Does it look OK? What sort of things would I be looking at if I went to look/buy?

Persuade me CA. Let the group-think do it's thing

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Guys

How does this one look?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-drz400e-supermoto-enduro-swaps-/120907944915?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c26acd3d3

Is there anything specific to DRZs that I would need to poke or prod?

Also, how is a 400SM different from a 400E that's been supermotoed?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

echomadman posted:

I didnt know you could plate E models in the uk/ireland.

The E has a better carb, more agggressive cam profile (pre 06 anyway) and a larger diameter header.
So basically it has all the go-fast mods people do to their SMs already done out of the box.
That one has a nice front brake upgrade done to it.

I was looking at that bike last night, if it wasnt at the wrong side of england one of my mates was going to hop on the ferry to go get it.

edit, I think the older non USD forks have a little less trail with the sumo wheels than the USDs on the newer models, making them slightly more twitchy, but there are lots of people riding around on them so it cant be that big of a deal.

That's awesome to hear. And slightly terrifying. I can feel my willpower disappearing.

Is there anything I would need to check closely on these bikes?

I wouldn't have modded the bike if I owned one, but I'm not going to complain about more power.

drat, I think I'm sold

*edit* Also, thanks for replying. Even if my bank balance doesn't thank you

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Welp, I rang my sister expecting her to be my conscience. She likes it it. I mentioned that there might not be enough space in the garage. She'd make space. I talk to my brother-in-law. He likes it. He'd make space in the garage. He'd even pass his test to ride it. If he had to.

I phoned my best mate. He loves it. He thinks I should buy. I mentioned there might not be enough space with the rest of my bikes. He says he has space.

Dammit people

Guess I'll be joining your little club

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Welp, I'm now a member of the club.

Bike #1 XR125L
Bike #2 1993 CB400
Bike #3 1993 CB400 (identical bike, bought for my best friend)
Bike #4 ER-5 (My sister's bike)
Bike #5 DR-Z400E(SM)

Pick up is saturday, then 143 mile ride home. My best mate is coming with me, so we may be swapping bikes on the way back (not if I have anything to do with it).

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I rode 150 miles pillion and then another 150 miles on fast A-roads to become the proud owner of a 2001 DR-Z400E SM.

The previous owner wanted me to test ride it before I'd hand over the cash. In my first 30 seconds on the bike I'd crashed after locking up the front wheel in the rain. The next 90 seconds of riding included at least 2 wheelies, a powerslide and locking up the rear wheel.

Picture to follow

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Gweenz posted:

Guess it's true about SM's making you ride like a dong. GOOD GOD I want one.

So much fun. Didn't do too many wheelies after those first few; wanted to get home in one piece.

Completely different bike to what I'm used to. Which is this . . .

The one in the front is mine. Pay attention to the one behind. That's the one that little ol' 6'3" me was pillon on for 150 miles today. I do enjoying pillioning like that, I can see right over my driver.

PO kindly gave me a Clymers manual, a spare headstock/bearings/thingy, some leftover oil and a spare mudguard. In fact, it was the dirt mudguard, the bike currently wearing a SM mudguard. But we came down by bike. Fortunately I had packed spare ratchet straps and duck tape.

So, 150 miles later (and one false alarm breakdown recovery. Seriously, why did the bike wait 45 mins before deciding to run again?) and I am home. Massive grin on my face, and it's the most I've ever leaned (leant?) a bike. Every bit of the front tyre used, and almost all of the rear. I've still got a row of those bristly bits on the outside edge of my CB400's front tyre.

Now to fit it in the tiny garage that already has 3 other motorbikes, 2 pushbikes and a lawnmower.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Woo, clean DRZ buddies. Well, mine was until I test rode it.

And it had 5000 miles on, whilst being a 2001. That's 5000 miles with the speedo over-reading by nearly 50% (or at least I hope it's over-reading. Otherwise I was doing 90mph past some houses)

*edit*

Also, I clicked on my post history in this thread to find my userid for a different thread and noticed this

Orange Someone on May 30, 2010 posted:

. . .

And the moment I get a garage and some disposable income, I am so getting me a DRZ-400-SM. I rode that XR-125L 80 miles last week to my sister's and I'd forgotten how much fun the riding position, the wide bars and . . . I dunno, but it was awesome, even if I was only running on 10 bhp.

After posting that nearly two years ago, it seems I did get myself a DR-Z. I didn't get myself a garage, but I have stolen my sister's (It's now a different garage than the one I rode the XR to 2 years ago, but the XR is still being used by her and sat next to the SM). Anxiously awaiting the weekend so I can take it out again. drat this working 200 miles away.

L-R: Sister's ER-5, the DR-Z, the XR125L and my CB400 half hidden in the corner

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 16, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Welp, my SM'ed DR-Z400E has been down for it's second time. And this was more traumatic than the first time. I'd let my sister ride it across town, and she was brilliant for the first few miles. Stopped at some traffic lights and she relaxed, forgot that this wasnae her normal ER-5.

Promptly wheelied off the line, 12 o'clocked it in the middle of the intersection. She's all right, few bruises. The bike's tailpiece has been snapped off, light dangling (didn't have indicators anyway) and I rode home with the cracked number plate duck taped to my backpack.

Amusingly we were coming back from getting a new number plate for one of my other bikes.

Any good suggestions for tail kits? Doesn't require indicators, but I'm not going to object if I have to put them on. Also, realised I ought to get frame sliders or some such protection

*edit* I'm in the UK, if that changes websites used, shipping or availability

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

DRC Edge is the best one out there.

Thanks. I got that impression from looking around the net. Since it's an E, it doesn't have a metal subframe under the tail. The previous tail kit was/is just screwed on to the plastic. Can someone with an actual S/SM confirm/deny that I need that frame?

Also, from what I can see, the Edge 2 is miles easier to acquire, but some places say the Edge is specifically designed for the DRZ. And then some places say the E needs the Edge 2. I don't know any more.

Argh, I don't even care about the indicators, I just want to ride. I need to get back out there. I wish I could just fix it. My other bike has just run out of MOT without me noticing.

And I've got a few weeks of working from home. Goddammit, let me ride!

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
w00t w00t. Bought and installed a DRC Edge 2 tail tidy for my DRZ after my sister 12 o'clocked it a few weeks ago.

Slightly ghetto install; I've now got two shiny bolt heads sticking through the tail, but it's rather nice. Glad it's done, and I'm pleased with how easily the wires connected. I didn't blow anything up by connecting it the wrong way round either.

In the background you can see the other two bikes we got back from the garage today. It's a good feeling knowing all the bikes are finally working again.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

fingerling posted:

Ninja edit.. Reason I'm leaning towards the Duke is also size. I'm around 190 cm at 100 kilos, and I'm not sure how amply the 400 single would go. And I love the idea of having hilarious power again - I'm jonesing for it!

I'm also 190cm, but 72 kilos. Height wise, I'm fine on my DRZ (E) SM. I'm also happy with the power, but then again the most powerful bike I've ridden is the GS500 I did my test on. The ER-5 and the CB400 also in my garage don't exactly top the HP charts.

I just love how light and flickable the DRZ is. Although it's down on power compared to my other two, the sprockets, grip and the single cylinder grunt mean that it feels like such a handful, and I love it.

Around town and short motorway janunts, it's fine. It's not the most comfortable thing but it's good enough

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Can you not just pull the bulb(s) and take it into a parts store? That's what I always do when I'm not sure about a bulb. Though mine just take H4s now, so I dinnae need to worry so much

*edit* I've even pulled bulbs and other bits in the car park outside the shop. And that bike looks awesome. Rather jealous

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 1, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
What sort of range do people get on DRZSMs? My brother in law is about to pass his big bike test, which means he'll be on my sister's ER-5 and she'll be on my CB400. So I'll be on my SM and we're off on a trip in a few weeks. I'd really like to know how far until reserve and then the range on reserve.

The only time I've hit reserve so far was after about 60 miles, but the bike was brand new to me and I was having way too much fun ragging the poo poo out of it.

It is an -E, but google tells me it has the same 10-litre tank as the -SM.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Oh no. In my effort to determine my range, I was forced to fill the bike up and attempt to ride to empty.

I failed.

86.5 miles later, I roll back on to my driveway, still on primary. The full 5L petrol can on my back untouched.

On the one hand I know I can do 86 odd miles. On the other, I'd really like to know the actual range. Maybe I'll have to take her out again tomorrow. Secondary duty of working out how much the speedo is over-reading by has been mostly nailed down. I thought it was showing 50% extra. Seems it's closer to 33%. I'll check the odo in the morning.

Also, my street kit doesnae have a full beam, so I was definitely testing myself on some of those corners until I realised exactly how dark it had gotten and made myself slow down.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
What advice would you give for someone getting on a supermoto for the (nearly) first time? I'm back home for the first time in nearly two months and I want to get my sister back on the DRZ. Last time she 12 o'clocked right in front of her husband.

He's gotten over the trauma; he passed his big bike test yesterday.

My sister and I have talked through the accident. Too much throttle (much lighter spring than her ER-5), nearly dumped the clutch (ditto), weight on bum rather than pegs and not gripping with her knees. Also leaned back slightly, which didn't help when the bike started tending towards the vertical.

She's never even attempted to wheelie, so I've talked her through some of the idea. Like hitting the rear brake to bring the nose down, and keeping the bars straight.

Anything I've missed?

I reckon it's mostly a confidence issue and she just needs to be back on. Also, I think the best way to teach her to deal with unexpected wheelies is to deal with some expected wheelies first.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Safety Dance posted:

What was her wrist position like on the throttle? If it was all the way forward when the throttle was closed, then the unexpected acceleration might have caused a feedback loop that helped her wheelie (bike goes forward, she goes backward, she twists the throttle more, bike goes more forward, etc.).

Remind them to keep a neutral wrist position at closed throttle, especially when starting out on an unfamiliar bike. Also remind them to feather the clutch and lean forward before accelerating.

I'm pretty sure that feedback loop is what the major cause of the accident was. In her words she'd got thrown backwards when the bike went forwards, and then once the bike was on the way up, she didn't know what to do. The bike seemed to pause at about half ten - 11 o'clock before it launched her off the back.

The lean forwards thing is important as well. I've done some really vicious starts since then whilst leaning forwards; nothing happened. That and covering the rear brake.

I am unsure how to start on the topic of wheelieing intentionally.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I'll ask

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I didn't get my sister on the DRZ, but I did take it/her out last weekend. My CB400 decided to give up on it's clutch cable, but it was still a fun ride.

Few minor wheelies, and a wee powerslide. I was amazed at how composed I was when they happened. Noted that the front wheel was twisted when it came up, calmly straightened it. Powerslide, hold throttle and steering inputs, kick out the other side and attempt to catch up with the others. Poor little DRZ doesn't seem to do much over 80mph.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I can't tell you tyres I'm actually running on the DRZ (again 300 miles from the poor bike) but can someone tell me what sort of pressures I should be running?

I only ask because apparently I had 6 psi in my tyres when I went out riding a week or so ago. Filled them up to about 28-30 (air hose wouldnae fit on the stem properly), but that felt really hard compared to before.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I really ought to install some sliders/pucks/whatnot on my DRZ. I also need to ride it more. I spent 3 hours running errands last time I was on it, just enjoyed hooning around the city with my music on.

Then I took the CB400 out last time I was home, made me realise just how drat buzzy the 400 single is.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Is my engine meant to look like this?

A mere 75 miles from the end of our 350 mile roadtrip today, at the start of our 4 bike motorcycling holiday to sunny Scotland. First week off in over a year.

Brilliant.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
So with the insides of my DRZ-400 E's engine deciding to come outside and play, I guess I'm going to need a new engine. I'll take it apart when I get home (recovered it and cracked on with the holiday) and see if I can see what's good/bad.

Anyone have any suggestions of decent places that engines can be acquired? Apart from the obvious ebay ...

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
When I picked up my DRZ, I got given the original off-road mudguard. Which was interesting because I wasn't expecting it and I'd just pillioned 150 miles to pick up the bike.

Cue me riding 150 miles with said mudguard ratchet-strapped and duck taped-to my back.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Toot Toot.

After a few months of DRZ inaction, I'll finally be getting around to fitting the new engine.

Engine purchased, sitting in my best mate's garage. I have new oil & filter (and horn, the other one just scraped through the MOT). I have a willing friend and a weekend off.

Apart from doing suspension springs on a few cars, this'll be the largest mechanical job I've ever done.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Um, am I correct in thinking I'll need to remove the rear swing arm pivot to get this engine out? drat DRZ. Halfway through stripping this bike.

*edit* turns out we do need to remove that bolt, and it was jammed in good and tight. Lots of corrosion. Searching the Internet turned up a lot of people talking about making a puller. Having attacked it with copious amounts of penetrant, it looked to to the hardware store we were going. One last bash on the threaded rod/nut combo I put in to protect the threads . . . and it started moving! Yay!

End of day 1. Old engine out. Clutch cover on new engine replaced with good clutch cover from old (drat shipping damage). New engine cleaned; looked like it had been off-roaded with.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Boom! New engine in. Only forgot to do up one jubilee clip (that was quickly noticed when pink coolant started dripping over the floor). Even remembered where everything went.

Slight issues starting the first time, but a new spark plug (although the old one was sparking) and some Easy Start (ether spray) made her start. Idled fairly easily, not so happy in gear on the stands.

Oh well, it was a good weekend. Now back to work until I can find a spare weekend to finish.

• Locked thread