Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Is the backing in/drifting stuff something an average guy can do on a supermoto? Or is it only reserved for super duper-moto riders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I was really tempted to ride up the sidewalk and across the crosswalk instead of waiting for the light to turn green but I played it safe and my Husky ended up shooting steam out of the radiator expansion tank! Just something to think about.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

Oh gently caress it, I'll just by a new one every year. :)

Edit: What are the chances I'll even make it 6000 miles before I bust it into a million pieces trying to jump a dumpster.

Reading supermoto junkie it seems like some blow up at 2000 miles and some last 15000. I'd like to think it's because some people take care of them and some don't, not just pure luck. Maybe when mine gets its dealer checkup next week I'll ask how much a replacement motor for it costs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

drat you Californians, having everything you could want right there.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

Supermoto bikes are basically just nice looking ticket printers.

Exactly why I went through all the effort and money to mount this:

It actually works really well with the remote display and is loud enough to hear most of the time.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

It's legal here. Once a cop told me to lose it but most ignore them. I've had one since I was 18 and they are definitely a useful tool. Now I have two and don't move any vehicle unless it's on.

The problem with the supermoto is I have to run it right off the battery, since at idle the thing will literally turn off and on. I really need to figure out how this goddamn kickstarter works.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Did you mean 600 mile valve checks? Cause 6,000 isn't too bad at all. I think the biggest con for the "race-ready" sumos is that a lot of them seem to blow up before 5000 miles. I love my Husky but there is always the worry that it will simply destroy itself one day, so much so that I'm trying to save money for that reason.

As for the law, it's true that cops want to know about these bikes. I got nailed doing 50 in a 25 down a backroad and the cop asked a bunch of questions about the bike, then wrote me for a 35 in a 25 and said he'd allow me to plead no points in court. I was quite amazed.

As for the exhaust, I think mine is done breaking in my boot:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well the place where I work put a hiring freeze on and I'm a temp, so it looks like I'll be unemployeed for my Christmas present. As I bought the Husky as a toy and to race, and spending money on racing and maintaining a bike like this while jobless isn't such a good idea, I might end up selling it come next year if I can't get a job.

Maybe I can get away with trading it for a DRZ. That wouldn't be so bad really...it's like those RPG games were the beginning is a cutscene and battle with the ultimate weapon, and then you start the game with a wooden sword.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

cmorrow001 posted:

Please look me and my DRZ up in the spring. (Seriously I hope you get to race it but iw as thinking about trading in for a new motard in the spring)

Sure, I'll keep you updated. I might have some answers as soon as November.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

It seems to be a pretty general consensus among Husky guys that if you end up needing a new connecting rod or something, it's gonna take half a year to get it (or forever). Even the power-up kits are a hassle to get your hands on. Of course, this is more of a deal breaker for the 450s and 510s (which are gonna end up needing engine parts, usually before 10K). I dunno how great the dealer service/getting parts is with KTMs, but I can't see it being any worse than for Huskys.

Also Huskys are entirely soft metal. You could practically hand tighten a bolt and strip it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Whats the easiest way to get the bike on a stand?

Lifting it sucks, especially by yourself and having no previous dirt bike history either doesn't help either. Was hoping that having it on the stand would ease my roommates worries or hitting one of the bark busters while she was parking in the garage but not the whole bike is no where near the wall anymore.

I got this bad boy on sale.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5007&L2=5008&L3=35&L4=727&item=RHI_TALL-500-BLK_G

You don't have to really lift it at all, maybe an inch and then you jack it up with your foot.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is...is that thing stretched?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I dunno, my Husky is supposed to be twice the horsepower of your DRZ and popping the clutch only floats the front end a couple feet (provided I'm leaning back). Then again, when I first got it I sat way back and almost crashed wheelieing around a turn.

Husky's are weird. Mine is calling for "Graphite Grease" on the threads of the new spark plug. Not only have I never heard of needing to grease up a plug, I can't find graphite grease anywhere.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

Has it been "powered-up"? The carbed ones come with a cap over the accelerator pump, and a throttle stop. If doesn't feel way faster than a DRZ something is not right.

According to the previous owner "emissions were removed" but he also said it's bone stock. I thought the power-up kit was a combo of exhaust and something else? If there is some switch to flip to make it faster, please for the love of god tell me!! Mine is a 2006 model, carbed.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-vHZm37U4

This is the operation I need I guess, which means I need to get different screw from the dealer.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 15, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

Has it been "powered-up"? The carbed ones come with a cap over the accelerator pump, and a throttle stop. If doesn't feel way faster than a DRZ something is not right.

Ok, looks like I'm in luck. The throttle stop wasn't there, it was replaced with the small screw, but the accelerator cap was, so I removed that. Now to gas this thing up and test it out!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nope, but I got pulled over in 10 minutes.

No tickets. The reason was my lovely led tail light/plate combo (again). I went home and ordered an Edge 2 with blinkers. I barely warmed the thing up (shoulda ran).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

cmorrow001 posted:

Finally getting the DRZ out of storage. I've only ridden it once this season so it will be nice to have it at my house. (I have a feeling the speed triple is going to start getting lonely)

Over the winter I installed a edge tail light. Now, the stock blinkers want to move a lot and I can't get them tight. Any ideas? I've seen some people move the blinkers back closer to the middle of the bike but it won't work on mine because that's where my exhaust bolts up to.

Why not just get the LED blinkers to go with it? I just picked up an Edge 2 since my old setup had me getting pulled over all the time and I'm just going to mount the blinkers on the side of the tail light.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=72&offset=10#2445

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Huskys don't consume any oil...because you change it before it has a chance to.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

More like "...because the connecting rod change interval is shorter than the oil change interval"

First thing you ask if you are buying a used Husky:

"Have you kept up with the engine changes?"

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Spiffness posted:

What are you looking for here?

Think of Dukes as supermotos with less ground clearance and morr street frendly rides. Slightly less insane but more day to day friendly while giving you almost all the benifits of a full SM.

Think pf a superduke as one of the most badass and fun streetbikes money can buy. An everyday bike. This is what i was going to buy until i found a deal on a Street Fighter i couldnt pass up.

So then what are the 990 "supermoto" T and R supposed to be? KTM puts them in the same category as the 690SMC on their site, yet they seem even less like a supermoto than the duke.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

OK now I get it. KTM needs one of those "which bike is right for you" calculators on their site (and more dealers).

Edit: They're looking fairly capable too.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 28, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I just did the skateboard wheel thing last week after putting off buying the $100 slider kit for a year. It cost me $30. I could've done it for cheaper if I went with a cheap K-mart board, but I liked the design on the spitfires.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Maybe it's just because I'm a big bastard, but when I stick a leg out and forward it seems to me like the bike becomes way more planted in turns. It's the same kind of feeling I felt when I first crouched down on a bike instead of sitting upright. I guess sticking a knee out is similar, but with a leg I can put more weight over the front and quicker too. I don't drag it on the ground or anything, but it still feels like I'm on three wheels for a second.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Primo Itch posted:

With the prices you have in the US everyone should be buying Husqs SM510Rs (and the necessary 7 or 8 spare top-ends to ride it for a year) and never think about anything else. :colbert:

From what I've seen, the SM450R apparently has a better track record of reliability. Either that or it just looks that way cause everybody buys the 510.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

This is why you shouldn't buy a KTM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzCb1H5sdfk

If he had a Husky this never would have happened (he would've been at home heli-coiling stripped threads).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone heat wrapped their pipes? How effective would exhaust/header wrap be if my boot touches it while I ride?

Despite how glaring an issue the boot burning exhaust is on Huskys, a good any heat shield doesn't exist for my year. I already toasted one icon boot and one heel cup on my fairly new Sidis and have failed for millionth time to find a drat heat shield online that will fit. I'm about ready to sawzall the bitch off.

Also that white does look really good.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

A buddy of mine had his headers ceramic coated on his Subaru, and you can pretty much grab the pipes with the engine hot, the stuff is good up to 3500 degrees or something crazy.

Meh I'm really just looking for a quick fix so I can get back to flogging it without destroying my $300 boots. $30 worth of black exhaust wrap, spray and ties should work well enough?

Hmm...Harley guy purchases supermoto from the dealer and decides to sell it 5 miles posts later. Talk about an impulse buy.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?109883-Did-i-get-a-good-deal-or-what.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've gotten quite a few tickets over the years, and it seems to me the cops always came down hard on me. Since I've gotten a supermoto I've been pulled over more, but have been let go with a warning or no-point ticket. So in my case it's actually helped my driving record.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

toolshed posted:

Can we get back to what's really important and discuss lofting monster wheelies for a moment?

Yeah I agree.

Are you leaning forward? For me, the problem was I would tend to lean forward automatically when the front end came up which, while maybe not making much different on a sportbike, completely kills it on a sub-300lb supermoto. Also I tended to sit to far forward, as I was used to that for hustling around turns. Once I realized what I was doing and that I needed to change my body position, I could start fighting that urge and really pull up/lean back. I've only done them in first, though and I still mostly suck as well.

As for covering the rear brake, I have the same problem. On my Ninja (which I don't wheelie on purpose) the rear brake is nice and low and would be easy to cover if I was trying to wheelie it, but on my Husky it's drat high and can't even be adjusted any lower, so I end up trying to curl my foot up to cover it while managing everything else. Most of the time I end up not covering it, which I should.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

That's really lovely but there's always a chance of it when you buy anything used, especially if it's modded.

How would the seller know his bike was about to blow up, though? He could be some rear end in a top hat who didn't maintain it or bounced off the limiter or he could just have sold it right before his luck ran out. I could sell my Husky and it could drat well blow up 6 days later. It's basically a chance of disappearing money every time I ride it. A DRZ is supposed to be more reliable, but once some guy did engine work I wouldn't really think of it any differently. Hopefully he's a good guy though and will throw you some of that money back.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thats the best part...he is broke, he is always broke. I guess he got a small inheritance, quit his job, moved to knoxville (following a girl who wants nothing to do with him), bought SXV/TV/PS3/fifty/ysr/etc. Now he is selling everything off, the SXV is the only thing that hasn't sold yet.

He is afraid to ride it because he knows if it blows up he is hosed. If he would have actually ridden the thing I would have bought it instead of the CRF.

Sounds like the norm. Come into some money, impulse buy a bike, never ride it and eventually sell it at a loss. Guys like him make the motorcycle world go round for the rest of us. :v:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

They're also surprisingly difficult to really crash hard. The KTM will put you on your rear end in a second if you're not careful, the DRZ is as forgiving as a 250.

The thing with the high-end supermotos is you can just leave it stock in that case. Then when you get good at it you just change the jets and exhaust and double your horsepower.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Synonamess Botch posted:

Uh, wow. Where's the beginner's guide to backing it in?

One thing I realized is that, since trying to understand and do all that while diving into a turn seems impossible and crazy (for me anyways) you can just try it while going straight and braking. Much less of a holy poo poo factor and a good way to get started.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Edit: Gnaghi! :v:

Obviously a better explanation, but I just had to share that little epiphany I had (which I'm guessing most people already figured out).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you have another bike for commuting, trips and stuff then pick up the 510 as a toy for windy roads and track days. If the 510 would be your only bike and you plan on using it to commute...well hope you like wrenching.

And spending big money when the engine goes. Maybe it won't be so bad when you have to replace a crank if you've been riding like an insane man for 6k, but if it's all (or even some) highway you are putting the bike to waste.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

That really sucks man. :(

And gently caress those neighbors...that's like the opposite of neighborhood watch, wtf?

I know it's too late, but this came up here, I think in AI, as a good way to combat thieves and vandals if you have to park in open areas. Basically it's a motion sensor that when triggered takes a pic.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Just have to sit farther back to wheelie. Upside is sitting forward you can launch a wheelie from a dead stop like a badass.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ah it all makes sense now. No cush drive is why I'm supposed to replace the crankshaft on my Husky in another 2k miles. I always wondered what was up with that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is it normal for sumo brakes to suck compared to sportbikes? The harder I'm on the Husky's front brakes the more they disappoint (i.e. can't stoppie). They are brembos too. :confused:

Also some fat lady turned in front of me today and while I was able to stop I would've have double the space that if I was on my Ninja. I bled and flushed them over the winter because they were disappointing last year too (the pads have plenty of life left). It gets better if I'm on the rear at the same time, but it really needs a light touch to not lock up when I'm hard on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Your pads are toast, or your calipers/MC need to be rebuilt, or your rotor needs to be cleaned with brake cleaner/media blasted. Every Sumo I've ever ridden with a working braking system has been able to pull stoppies easily.

Pad thickness isn't a good indicator of pad quality, either. They could have gotten glazed over, or they could just be lovely pads. Are you getting a firm lever but not a lot of braking power? I'd look at the pads first, maybe try sanding them down to bring some life back into them.

Yeah, firm lever, feels like it should, but the braking power isn't there. I'm still missing that rotor button too, though I don't see how that would make any difference. The original owner only put like 1k miles on it, so the pads are the originals.

• Locked thread