Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Pads are probably glazed from never being bedded in properly.

Still haven't found a replacement rotor button?

Yeah I looked around for awhile and just gave up after repeatedly being offered $300 rotors. I'd be willing to spend it if I wasn't still unemployed. And I still have the other nine.

The bedding makes sense since I was never too hard on the brakes until recently. I'll try that first before I do anything else. Maybe by the tenth squeeze I'll be floating the rear. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

I can attest that a Husky SMR with properly working brakes should have no trouble lifting the rear wheel off the ground, and launching you over the bars, and smashing your collar bone into pieces. And I have the previous generation of lug mount Brembo caliper, not the new radial hotness.

Yeah and it's supposed to wheelie in third and it barely does in second. Maybe I got some kinda underachiever here.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I really think I wouldn't mind trading my Ninja for a KLR with 17s. Handles well enough for daily riding, more comfortable and good for those "urban wheelies", no? Plus no sportbike image = not having every retard in an Acura sedan or Dodge Ram trying to race me. I'm really starting to get tired of that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I guess I'm doing it wrong, I simply flip them off.

"Boardwalk's that way Situation."

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Can't forget about the WRX while Motomind is riding all over Washington. It's surprising how capable that little thing seems to be.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I'm always amazed that they don't all crash into one another. A lot of the time they get clooosse.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is there even any penalty for contact if it doesn't cause a crash? Just by its half-dirtbike nature it seems like it would be kind of a grey area.

Edit: ^^It's been way too long since I laughed at the supermoto scooter guy.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 10, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

well, there is this, except it's more "holy poo poo, husky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEXI5GHoUI

KTMs are too heavy to jump like that. :smug:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

A kid on a KTM 65 could outjump your Husky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-DmDAX0bIo

(Skip to 2:10 if you're lazy and hate kids)

Now lets see him reg it for the street (and get a DL license). :smugbert:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

This poo poo is never ending with my local place and their regs. Safety wire is required on everything. How the hell am I supposed to safety wire a masterlink clip? They're talking about the chain right? Also new is "heat resistant" catch cans, which means I have to spend $100 on them instead of making my own. The rules also call for numbers on the bike and your loving name on your loving race suit...I'm really going to assume that is just for racing. I'm going there tomorrow, without my bike, and getting the straight poo poo and maybe get kicked out too. :argh:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Whitesnake_2! posted:

Rivet style master links.

Ok, so one more thing. Mine is clip style right now but the chain is toast anyway.

henne posted:

Speaking of catch cans? What all gets routed into one? I assume carb overflow, crankcase breather, coolant overflow and something else? All the ones I see have four barbs.

I'm really not sure about routing them all into one. I haven't found anyone that does it. The 4 barbs you're talking about I'm guessing are for the multiple carb/gas lines for the fuel catch. This is what I'm looking at that's throwing me into a rage. I need all three of these I think. Gas, coolant and crankcase. That's $160.

I don't really understand why a crankcase can would be required either, as mine routes right into the airbox. New rules are no bottles, even though their own "track prep" vid has little bottles ziptied all over the bike. No silicone on bolts either so gonna have to find a drill press for the bolts. Never ending.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well after going to check out my local track it seems like safety regs are indeed quite a bit more relaxed on track then the website would lead me to believe. Still I'll spend the money and fix up the bike proper since it's really there for a good reason and I'll be starting a new job anyways as soon as I accept the offer.

I didn't stay all day but for the few hours I was there I saw what seemed like a low speed crash between two bikes coming over a hill. Turns out the guy broke his leg in two places. :ohdear:

On the other side motocross was running and the few crashes they had on dirt at roughly the same speeds had them always getting up and riding away.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

With the Husky it's expensive if you follow the manual and put 10w-60 AMS or whatever in there but most just run rotella T6 or even T1 with no problems. Maybe the KTM is the same?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ah yeah I forgot the KTM has awesome oil change intervals as well. How the hell do they do it? In my case I save closer to $1000 and that's with all reusable filters.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well lets see:

Rock oil is UK? So shipping would be out for the US.

AMS Oil is $46.75 + shipping for a gallon. Shipping to me is $59.60 The closest thing is 20w-50, however.

Motorex is $57 and I found free shipping. Plus you get a bit more as it's 4 liters not one gallon.

Motul is $31 for 2 liters, 62 for 4 plus shipping. They only come is 20w-60 or 15w-50, though.

Bel Ray EXS is $45 for 4 liters and has a pretty good dealer network. According to their site just about every nearby bike dealer or parts store (cyclegear) carries it, as well as their awesome chain wax.

Then there is Rotellia T6 at $20 a gallon. Usually you can find it at walmart and some auto parts stores. But again it is only 10w-40.

I really don't like the idea of having to order oil. If I can go into my local cycle place and pick up good oil it's a huge plus for me. My bike takes roughly half a gallon, so it's a difference of about $200 between Rotella and Belray over 5k miles if I change it at 300, $250 if I change it at 500 miles and $21 for you KTM guys. :lol:

It's hard to get a price on a rebuild for Huskys, especially since everyone turns their bike into an insane monster at the same time, but a basic one would run about $800 from uptiteracing from what I gather. But of course using expensive oil doesn't guarantee it it won't blow up either. Plus a lot of the Husky guys use Rotella T6 in both Huskys and various jap offroad bikes as well. Honestly if I had a KTM 690 I'd probably run whatever expensive stuff it called for since the change intervals are so much higher. But in my bike I'm changing out clean oil all the time.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

For me a big part of wheelies was just getting comfortable with it. It was like all of the sudden I could hold first up for half a block, and then started pulling up second when I shifted. Probably no more then 9:00 at the most, but I'm dong them loving everywhere now.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

CA: Dong Wheelies loving Everywhere.

I keep meaning to try stoppies but the only time it occurs to me to try I'm rolling up to a red light at an intersection. Dong indeed.:downsgun:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

How much leeway do I have with tube sizes? I have a tube which will fit 150/70/17 but the tire I'm ordering is a 150/60. Monostrato makes it sound like most tubes can be run if the sizes are close and I've had this single tube sitting in my closet for months.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Cool, saves me a bit since apparently no shops around here carry supermoto-sized tubes.

While on the subject, has anyone gone the homemade tubeless route, where you basically just seal up the spokes with silicone? It seems almost too easy not to have a few downsides.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Going to start getting the bike track ready. I'm really not looking forward to safety wiring, but I'm going to make a jig out of board and take my time with badass drill bits and the special spinny pliers.

Ugh I ought to replace those mold-colored handguards too.

I'm replaced the Distanza's cause I really wanted street tires and don't ever offroad to the point where I need them, but could I sell them maybe? I can't read tires for poo poo, but they seem to have a ton of thread left to just go in the garbage.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

Are you sure your track actually requires safety wiring? The local track here says safety wiring is required on their website, but they're fine with a dab of RTV on the oil drain plug. Not that having it safety wired isn't a good thing, it's just a pain in the rear end.

For hanguards I use reinforced vinyl tubing slipped over the bar to keep it from grinding on the track. It works, and it's cheap.

I meant just the plastic handguard covers I wanted to replace, cause they are turning yellow. I already tried cleaning them with peroxide.

As for the track, I went there myself during an event and talked to an official to get the straight scoop. Not only is safety wiring required on a ton of bolts (RTV is Ok for the masterlink clip only), but I need actual catch cans as water bottles and the like are no longer allowed as of April this year.

I'm worried about them giving me poo poo for my rotor button missing on the front rotor, but I'm not paying $330 to replace a good rotor with a new one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I have often though of converting or finding a big supermoto like that and I already have a plated race bike. It'd be good for soaking up miles while still affording the opportunity to ride like a jerk.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I think with a nice seat on and some good luggage the drz could even do a decent highway commute. I keep thinking of swapping my 636 for one. It'd keep me from speeding and get double the mpg too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MrZig posted:

I filled up my DRZ today. 37 MPG.

I'd be keeping mine stock since I have the husky for aggressive riding/trackdays. Browsing fuelly it looks like stockish ones get 54-60 on average. The only problem would be dealing with a carb on cold mornings.

invision posted:

Swap the bandit motor into the DRZ, problem solved.

e:No seriously please do this I want to see it so bad :(

With a combo like that one could literally loop the bike, as in flip all the way around and land on the tires again.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I guess I haven't been paying attention, but I just recently realized the wr250x is fuel injected. That combined with motomind's awesome trip is enough to make me pick one over a drz for a daily bike.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

It doesn't help that they are dropping into the sub 4k range either. I'm hoping come December/January I can scoop one up for the same price I end up selling the 636 for at the beginning of summer.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I never thought I'd be able to back it in and then on my second trackday it just happened by accident. Charging down a straightaway towards a chicane, I got hard on the brakes and banged it down three gears. I felt like I matched revs ok, so I guess what happened is I began to turn before the clutch was all the way out and the back end stepped out accompanied by a lot of tire squealing. It was only for a second and wasn't showy to be sure, but it felt pretty awesome once I realized I wasn't crashing. I don't think I'd be able to do it if I only rode street, rather it's something that just starts happening when you race (for me anyway).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Riding a street legal "racebike" like the Husky on the track and sliding around/riding off the edge of your tires/grinding your teeth trying to keep up with converted MX'ers as they pull away easily really makes the difference pretty clear.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

If I ever ended up not being able to keep my bikes inside a shed, living room, etc., I would just buy a van and make that my storage. A cargo van could fit two and a conversion van would make a bitchin trackday hauler.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

The wr250x is dropping to almost $3500 for a 2008 around me. Still hoping for a winter deal ever since I read Motominds trip.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

There are actually a lot of fat guys at the supermoto races and they're fast as poo poo too so there definitely has to be something.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Meh, let me know when someone drops a turbo wr250x motor into a klr. Now that's my kinda bike.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

:smith:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

That is not what "backing it in" is supposed to be :colbert:

I'm trying to imagine if that's possible on a goldwing.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Having road in that with Distanzas, I can tell you you probably won't even get out of the driveway. It's really not doable. :smith:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I had maybe three feet of snow and couldn't get any traction no matter where I sat on the bike. I had to shovel a path out for it.

Then I did donuts in a parking lot and fell off ten times so that was ok I guess.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I want to get those Distanzas for my DRZ when I need new tires, are they the go-to for light dirt riding? Do they wear out in like 15 minutes?

I rode on them for a year and they're still in my basement with good tread. They handle pretty good on the street and will pull the bike out of swampy mud puddles and up dirt hills.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Motocross helmet with these.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Distilled water is also great if you're sweating your rear end off at the track and need a drink. Coolant not so much.

Nobody adds water wetter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

It seems like distanzas only helped when I tried to tackle wet ground and mud. Otherwise regular street tires were fine. I guess it depends on where you push yourself the hardest and thus where you're going to need the most grip. My answer is on the tarmac.

I still don't understand how the racers haul so much rear end in the dirt on slicks though. I'm guessing they just pin it and spin the whole way while pointing in the general direction they mean to go.

• Locked thread