Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I just spent over $2200 US on Supermoto bits for my old beat up DRZ400E.

MRD SSW Full exhaust system
Acerbis black plastic kit
Edge smoke LED tail light & Smoke blinkers
Trailtech X2 headlight black
Clarke 4.7G black tank
05' RM250 USD forks & triple clamps
Trailtech Vapor computer
Stainless steel brake line
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with 320MM front brake
13t, 16t front sprockets for Dirt & road riding, along with 44T rear sprocket.
Uni filter kit

Next up when the motor needs a rebuild, its goin for a big bore stroker kit.

I'm going to document this, as it is the bike looks absolutely beat up and scratched. After this im hoping it will look good.
But i wont go as far as painting the engine & frame... yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Those old KTM LC4s are great, but make sure you visit the dentist to check the fillings are secure...

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Just got this in the mail today for the DRZ.

Ohlins, baby.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Got it from fastbike industries for $750 US including respring, revalve for my riding style. brand new.
Mounted it last night, looks too pretty in the frame of my beat up DRZ.
Now just waiting on the RM250 forks to get valved and sprung, and new seals put in. they were leaking like a bitch when i first got em'.
Great thing about the 2005 RM250 forks, they are a direct bolt onto the DRZ.
Top an bottom triple, DRZ front wheel and brakes.. all bolt on.
Great upgrade for less wallowing riding.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Is there anyone that's done a write up on the RM250 stuff or is it really that simple? Just grab the triples and forks and away you go? Are there any other years that are compatable/worthwhile?

There were basic write-ups on TT detailing what fits what and which year models.
The RMZ 250/450 forks aren't a bolt on.
The RM250 from 2005 onward is direct. Top & bottom triple clamp with stem, direct bolt on. DRZ stock wheel and all.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Hrm, ok. It looks like the general consensus is that you still have to revalve and respring because the DRZ is a fair bit heavier, but I guess if I'm gonna be buying a front end, may as well go for the bling upgrade. How about the brakes? I'm doing an SM conversion at some point, stock E stuff fit just fine?

Yep you still should revalve and respring, but it will work just fine without doing that. the DRZ being some 30KG heavier than an RM250, yeah, thats why im getting it done.
Stock E brakes direct bolt on. including disc, caliper, everything.

I'm doing the Sm conversion right now as well. Bought a Beringer 4 piston caliper with disc, i preferred this setup due to the smaller 310MM disc not requiring me to remove the brake pads when swapping between dirt & road brake setups.

My gearing setup consists of:
13/44 Dirt
16/44 SM
And i can use the same chain for this. Maximum versatility is the goal :-)

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I love putting lipstick on my pig :D
I just need really good suspension to push it hard in the single tracks. On my XR650R i was leaving behind KTM 300EXCs and the like in the single tracks, when i put CRF450X suspension on it.
I'd go for the Marzocchis.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
You can pickup an RM250 front end for like $250

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Z3n,

I forget which forks fit, but if you go for USD forks, try to get the 2005 RM250 triples. The offset is closest matched to the DRZ, so it will still feel stable at speed.
i think any of the RM250 forks 2000-2005 allow fitting of the DRZ wheel and caliper.

Man_of_Teflon,

I've owned a WR250R. Found it far too gutless for my needs.
It was surprisingly OK on the freeway, next to no vibration. very smooth. but simply not enough torque for me.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
The bike is finally complete!

2000 DRZ400E with a heavy off-road background as you can see on the engine & frame :P

RM250 Front end, revalved & sprung for the DRZ.
Vapour computer
Stainless steel front brake line
Beringer 4 piston caliper & 310MM disc.
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with Bridgestone tyres
Ohlins rear shock, extended travel to E specification & revalved/sprung.
Acerbis black plastics
Trailtech X-2 Halogen headlight
Supermoto front fender
Smoke lens Edge tail light & LED indicators
Renthal fatbars
15/40 gearing, I switch to 13/44 for my off-road wheelset.

It just feels amazing with this suspension, even on the streets. Can't wait to try it off-road.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

God that thing is gorgeous. Where'd you get the Edge taillight? I need something similar for mine.

I got it from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com
Great service from that place.

They really clean up the tail on the bike. especially when you get their LED indicators too.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

pr0zac posted:

That thing is ugly as hell, ie perfect. I love it.

Where'd you pick up the suspension pieces, and did you do the revalving/respringing yourself? Cost? Trying to decide if I want to divert my savings deposits for a couple months...

I got the front end off ebay for $250 US.
Then i got it revalved and sprung by a local place in Sydney, they do the suspension for race teams of the Australian safari.
Cost about $800 US for suspension work.
You really feel the different with USD forks for Supermoto.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Do you happen to know what year forks are compatible? I recall you saying that the 05 RM (z?) 250 triples are the best with the most offset, but what forks can you put in there?

All the RM250 forks fit, the RMZs have different axle sizes and caliper mounts i believe.
I cant find the link right now, but there is a thread on the DRZ400 Thumpertalk forum that lists all the offset degrees of each year triple clamp that fits, the 2005 was the best offset to closely match the DRZs geometry.
Thats where i got all my info.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Nice bike. I had a Supermoto XR650R, wish i still had it.
You wont need a damper on an XR650R.
they are the most stable dirt bike ive ever ridden.
Proof of that, i had her pinned for an hour up to 190KMH indicated and it was rock solid.
They were built to stand up to those speeds in the Baja 1000, sand as deep as your knee. I think you will be fine.
I also took it into the sand dunes and it was fine.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Phy posted:

The idea of a thump doing over 160 is somehow :psyduck:

What's the difference between the L and the R, anyway?

The bike was surprisingly comfortable at 190. It sure surprised me. I was trying to keep up with a KTM 950 adventure and his pillion, they took off from our group of dirt bikes. I managed to catch up, and overtake him.
And while most thumpers would vibrate their nuts off when you have them pinned, the XR was smooth, and remained very calm. My DRZ feels like its screaming when i wring it out, the XR just seems content.

The R is much more refined. it was raced in Baja for years, and won for years.
Watercooled, better suspension, much lighter, alloy frame, powerful motor.
Just a gem. if they offered electric start i would still have it. The hills i ride are too steep for a kick-only big thumper. one stack and im knackered.

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3IaRRwq_E

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
This is my dream setup. Saving my pennies.

KTM 690R

with these wheels

62HP with EFI that grants 55MPG economy, at 138KG of weight.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I just put on 16/40 gearing on the DRZ.
feels real nice cruising around.
But i think my jetting is out. Even with the 13/44 gearing for offroad, the thing doesnt like to wheelie.
Doesn't bog, just sort of... doesnt launch. I have to use clutch, even in 1st. Hmph.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Guys,

Is this fork action normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMvlDyNWRLU

Ive been chasing up this problem sicne i got these forks.

So when videoing this, i had the triple pinch bolts looseish, so its not binding from that.
The axle nut and axle pinches are also loose.

But they appear to be binding.
Also, they dont stick like that when the forks are off the bike.

Any ideas?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
some other guys think my triple clamps could be stuffed.

Would the tubes be tweaked even if they dont do this when the forks are off the bike?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Cheers z3n, yep that video i took is with everything loose, and tried pumping it all down many times. Ive done lots of wheel swaps so something else is up.
Might pull it all apart this weekend to measure up the triple clamps.

4/20,

I had a WR250R for a few months. But couldn't get over how little the power output was.
I like torque from the bottom, and the 250R needs to be revved alot to get it moving. I didnt like that, so i went back to a DRZ400.
Ill eventually end up a KTM 690, same weight as the DRZ and WR with double the power.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Well i had enough of the DRZ on the freeway every day with numb nuts and hands.
And i severely wanted a 690SMC... until i did some research.
Quite a few engines have blown up with relatively sedate riding, and a guy has had his 5th fuel pump failure... ok i think ill wait a few more years on the 690s.

But then i just found a steal of a BMW x-challenge.
I cannot believe im buying a BMW, being a KTM fanboy for so long and dissing BMW riders, im becoming one.
But then again, ive always wanted to drink a coffee while riding with the BMW coffee cup holder accessory.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Ive just removed the pipe on my BMW and gone back to stock.
Loving the stealth sound of this exhaust. 86DB at 4000rpm. just awesome.
feel like im riding an electric bike with the unique tingle sound from the BMW Rotax engine.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Yep, i cant wheelie at all on it now.
16/40 on the freeway is decent. But having ridden the BMW to work now, the DRZ feels bad on the freeway no matter what.
So i think im going to gear it back down.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Not sure whats up with your DRZs, but mine doesnt burn a drop.
Been at the same level since 2000km ago, and thats plenty of highway. plenty of times ive had it cruising at 130KMH.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
my XR650R wouldn't burn any oil when i had it pinned WOT at 190KMH for about an hour on a boring straight highway in the middle of nowhere :D

Same with my DR650.

The only time my thumper has burnt oil was when the valve seals / rings were worn, on my last DRZ400.
Typically DRZs that are burning oil have a dirt background, and have ingested dirt at some point.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Goddamnit, that's a distinct possibility.

Well, maybe I'll find a DRZ head and ship it off to eddie at SSW, see what he rustles up. :haw:

434 kit my good man. yours is already an E, isnt it?
Im considering doing the whole 470 upgrade to get the 58HP at the wheel figure. that will give me 3rd gear power wheelies with 16/40 gearing...
I can do the head work myself, and get the shop to do the stroker crank.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
i keep reading the 525 can do everything the drz can and more... just add an oil cooler and away you go.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I find my mpg on the DRZ isn't too flash either. Last time it was 47MPG mostly city.
thats an E model...
My X-challenge gets like 10MPG more and it has 10 more HP :(

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Just do it the way that I did...buy a 2k offroad DRZ, and then spend 2k trying to get it as nice as the stock DRZ400SM.

This man knows whats up.
I got my DRZ400E for like $1500 USD and 4 years later still running great. no oil loss either.
So with the E already having cams that are on par with Hot cams, and one up compression ratio, and a flatslide carb, thats alot less money to throw away if you bought an S model.

Buy some Warp 9 wheels, sell the dirt wheels if you have no interest in dirt.
Add the MRD SSW Exhaust system (if you dont mind loud)
and it continues on from there...
+4mm stroker crank
434cc big bore kit.

drat i cant wait to put those in, but i cant justify pulling the motor apart until its showing symptoms of wear.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Another thing i love about the DRZ is the absolute unlimited quantity of spare parts out there.
bent a peg this weekend? There will always be one listed on ebay for cheap.
Did my engine blow up somehow? Plenty of em' for about $900 on ebay.

I dont think ill buy any other bike. it does everything. Touring, single track, dual sport, commuting, racing...
Just lower your standards of comfort to that of a touring bicycle and she's actually very comfortable.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I got 280 kilometers to empty on my DRZ400E from a 14L IMS tank.
Thats mostly city riding.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I found i cant wheelie my DRZ much at all, i think because of the high flow MRD SSW full system.
It loses low to mid range response and moves it right up to wide open.
The bike pulls madly when its WOT.
But ill be stuffed if i can wheelie it like i could when i had the stock E exhaust.
Eddie says my jetting is correct too.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
My DRZ is my do it all,
So i have the dirt wheelset, different sprockets, and the Supermoto wheels with its 4 piston caliper setup.

So when i switch to dirt, i just unbolt the caliper and master cylinder and bolt on the dirt caliper setup, and change the gearing to 13/44 from 16/40
this allows me to use the same chain length, and instantly the gearing is the same as the DRZ400E dirt model, for single track crawling.

Takes me about 30 minutes, though ive never really timed myself. Because i swap brakes it probably does take abit longer.

Im up to 18000km or so on the DRZ now, its not burning any oil and just keeps going like a top.
Im actually looking forward to the engine wearing out so i can put in the big bore and stroker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
couldn't resist... got another SE...

got it for a steal, includes supermoto wheels, gps, pipes... the price wouldn't be understood as its in convict dollars.

• Locked thread