Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReelBigLizard posted:

Can anyone explain to me how a slipper clutch makes backing it in easier? I'm just curious.

The SM guys adjust them to have no slip at all and to just slam the plates engaged in order to get more rear tyre sliding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FlyinDoc posted:

No mention of weight reduction :(

NCR managed to shave 42Kg off the weight of the standard hypermotard, despite putting in a larger engine making 42Hp more than standard (NCR Leggera Course 1200 if anyone wants to look it up and drool - it's what the hypermotard should have been, even if just the weight).

Judging Ducatis based on what NCR can do isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Also, if it's cheap enough, I'll be looking seriously at 796 Hyper.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Motards with road bike alloy wheels always look so stupid IMO.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tarzanspuma posted:

I wouldn't go that far...
http://keysdog.com/YamahaWR/NewMarchesiniWheels2.JPG

http://www.blackstonetek.com/includes/products/MotardWheels.php

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NitroSpazzz posted:

A KTM 525 EXC with dirt/sumo setup just showed up on craigslist locally and I'm really tempted to pick it up as a replacement for the DRZ and the KDX. Tell me I'm stupid and won't be happy with it so I don't go buy another bike.

Nah, buy it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aren't most of the issues with the SVX with the 4.5, and the 5.5 is largely the same as the other higher-strung singles, i.e just short service intervals.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

What exactly does the "slipper" clutch do?

Basically when you drop it down a couple of gears quickly, the revs and gearing (and therefore the speed the wheel is turning at) won't match your road speed, so even the wheel is still spinning, it's sliding along the road. When this happens it sends force back through the drivetrain. What a slipper clutch does is use that force to slip clutch enough that the wheel speed matches road speed.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've seen a well-prepped and ridden CRF450R pretty much keep pace with 600s down the straight at Oran Park. Not a daily ride.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the 690SM the one with the Dakar-style pipes?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

If the KTM 690 SM isn't SpyVsSpy enough for you... don't panic! Bust out that pocket book because your prayers have been answered.

More on this... THING

That tail is cool, but look at the pics in the ad, is the bellypan touching the front tyre?!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Canned maps are generally shite. Powercommander (or similar) + custom mapping on a dyno is the only way to do it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dubs posted:

You can't really plate overseas bikes I don't think if they where sold here or vintage. Recent Huskys are LAMS awell and probably the best bet if you don't want a 625/640.

Pretty much every sumo is LAMS legal. It's hilarious seeing SVX550s with an L-plate dangling off the back.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a pair of new "Husky" SMs out next year:

Basically they've taken a G450X and 'tarded it, and also made a big-bore model. The G450X is supposed to be a decent bit of kit isn't it? Although the placement of the coolant bottle seems a bit daft on something that's likely to end up on it's side at some point.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Now that Aprilia has the engine sealant issue sorted, the biggest problem with the SVX is oil, or rather, a lack thereof. They hold very little oil, and burn quite a bit. I did hear some second-hand stories from a mechanic that a lot don't make their first service, purely because people aren't expecting them to run out of oil in <1000km.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That was 100% your fault.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On the whole road/race vs. dirt boots for 'tarding discussion, aren't there a few road/race boots with replaceable soles? Sidi does some I think? Might be an option.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

The fastest guys in the AFM could run up in the top 10 in AMA. Most of them are in their 30s or even their 40s. The idea that as a racer you hit your peak at 25 or whatever is BS, experience is way more valuable than youth. The guys who are seriously fast are those who at 20 already have drat near 2 decades of experience. And those are the guys you see at the world level...but at the national level, the grid's a lot older, because most people didn't get to start at 3 years old, and you pretty much need at least a decade of riding experience (ideally, racing experience) to win your first race. There are exceptions, but the general rule that you'll see is that the guys out there who are winning have decades of experience and the age to match it.

Just to reinforce this point, Troy Bayliss is 41 (39 when he won his last championship, and didn't start to race nationally until 26), Troy Corser is 39 (34 when he won his last championship) and Nitro is 35.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

This is why you should buy a DRZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI

Totally wanna find a DRZ in SF so I can do that during my holiday.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ephphatha posted:

What other bikes should I consider? It's hard to find a LAMS approved sumo which I think is why the DRZ is so desirable.

Incorrect, shitloads of sumos are LAMS approved, they're just all ridiculous. I mean poo poo, SXVs are LAMS approved.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I'm probably going to be doing an SM trackday on Tuesday around a go-kart track on a friend's boyfriend's race KTM 'tard (a 500something). Should be interesting.

And by interesting, I mean I'm guessing I'm going to be embarrass myself/be totally embarrassed.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 10, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No idea about a slipper, but I'm guessing it woukd since he races it.

Ignoring backing it in, what's the best way to ride it? I've never ridden a tard before. You're supposed to sit right forward yes?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Made it through unscathed! This is the bike I was on:

KTM450EXC converted to a sumo racer running on slicks. Bike is waaaaaaaaaaay better than I am. Found myself braking and turning way too early just because I wasn't even approaching the bike's limits. Having my first ever ride on sumo be on a cold, greasy, very tight go-kart track probably wasn't my best idea ever but hey, I didn't crash it. Feels pretty good once you start sticking a boot out and get it sliding around (although I didn't have the guts to try and back it in). I've got some footage from my GoPro but it's night so it's quite poo poo.

Definitely want to give it another go though.

And this is the track. Not in that config though: the straight tyre barrier on the the left blocked off the two bits of road it runs parallel too, so you took the left it blocks off.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 12, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By my 3rd session I wasn't even using the clutch to downshift, just stomping down on the lever.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the difference between that older model SM and the current SMC?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

Will a converted 450 or a KTM 'tard hold up to mileage the way a supersport will? I do like 12-15k miles a year, would this be prohibitively expensive? I can only assume it would be for a convert, but I'm curious about the KTMs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, gently caress no. I rode a KTM 450 EXC converted into an SM, it's dash showed speed and engine hours. 450s are race motors.

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, wtf is this on the header there?

It's usually called a "powerbomb". I believe the idea is that it balances out the power curves on 4T singles.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aargh posted:

Early this year I swear I saw KTM advertising 2010 690 SMC's for $11995, there's people on bikesales looking to get $11500 for 2008 versions (admittedly only a few thousand k's - who buys a bike and only rides it for less than 4 thousand k's (other than Z3n)?)

They did. People are idiots.

EDIT: I just looked, and they're not doing that price anymore (but are doing the rest of the 2010 on-road range for poo poo cheap).

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 19, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

What have I done...

Lost your licence.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Now that the Gixxer is running nice again, I've been thinking of selling it :v: I haven't really been doing any decent rides lately so the idea of getting a 'tard for hacking around town is getting serious. Looking at DRZs and 640s mostly. Any opinions on these? (Note: I use my bike as my sole transport, so it'll need to start everyday to get to work)

2004 640
2001 640
2005 DRZ (this one looks like it might been converted to an SM from another model?)
2005 DRZ (this looks like it might be the best buy)
2009 DRZ (probably best of the lot but pushing it budget-wise)
Potential comedy option: 2005 Husky SM610S. Is this thing likely to be a hand grenade? More time servicing it than riding it?

Will the KTMs offer anything over the DRZ? IIRC the 640s are pre-balance shaft so how bad are the vibes? I'm going to try and line up and a test-ride on a DRZ next week to see if I like them before committing though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

I agree the 05 that you think is the best buy is probably your best option.

I've seen those huskys have quite a few issues. Mostly revolving around the cam chain stretching early. It will be more powerful, have nicer components, etc., but for reliability and pure getting you to work, Id go DRZ. Learn from my mistakes, resist the temptation to mod, and save that money to sell the drz and buy a 690 if you decide to stick with the sumo style.

Cool cool. If I do go for the DRZ I'd just fit some handguards (seriously, what's with no one fitting them?), do the 3x3 mod and maybe a re-jet for the exhuast and then leave it alone.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

How strong is the AUD vs the USD right now? The only mod I would consider is doing the FCR, if you can get a deal on it. Might be able to get a deal here in the states if prices are inflated there.

Handguards should be a given on a sumo.

1.00 AUD = 1.07685 USD :smug::hf::australia: How much do they go for? Are they a bolt-on swap for the standard carb? Or do you need to mod the intakes?

EDIT: Ben Spies' motard is pretty awesome.

http://www.rolandsands.com/wp/2010/12/15/ben-spies-build/

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 8, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiffness posted:

Supermoto's you could absolutely use everyday include the 690 SMC, Husky 610/630 and DRZs, as well as the Yammie 250's.

I would go a 690 but they're quite expensive (usually going around the $10k mark) and there's never any for sale (the only ones listed at the moment are 12+hrs away). As for the 610, what's the go with this cam chain stretching? Do they just need regular replacing? A manual CCT? Or do they just let go because it feels the valves and piston need to be friends?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 9, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Note also the positioning of the front brake.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The person who linked the photo on another forum thought it was probably to shorten the wheelbase/sharpen the geometry, sounds reasonable.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hey Motard Goons, can I have your opinion on this: http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/2478616527.html

TIA! :):respek::)

I've ridden one of those converted properly into a motard and it was a blast.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pete posted:

The headlights are bright - currently 35w halogen but it'll take 50w and different coloured bulbs. The best thing is a new bulb I can find in a DIY shop for 35 pence..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAOh1ZzCBo

Is that something you made/had custom made? Or is it an off-the-shelf thing?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pete posted:

Off the shelf of a German website. They only sell black now, but I don't have the link.

Black good! No link bad.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This sounds perfect for a sumo-conversion: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct1811-ktm-unveils-freeride-350/

99kg? Yes please!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ReelBigLizard posted:

At a guess (and from the name) I'd deduce they took the Freeride electric chassis and adapted it to IC... That's actually pretty clever. Now they'll have really good parts compatibility between EV and IC lines. Which means the IC diehards get a better, lighter bike and the EV stands a much better chance of seeing meaningful production.

Also: that's really loving light.

Looks like it might be. But I can't imagine a de-tuned 350 having to move only 99kg will use a lot of fuel. Perhaps their making Freeride be a branding for more efficient KTMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
WR450Fs. Tell me about them. Specifically, tell me about their maintenance intervals. Because I'm thinking about one as a 'tard.

e: Oh poo poo, here we go. How do LC4s hold up to that many kms?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 14, 2011

• Locked thread