Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Jesus christ that's a good looking carburetor. An old friend of mine just got a DRZ actually, and I'm stuck in the basement working on my old loving yamaha.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any tips on lowering the drz400 seat height a tiny bit? I was thinking about maybe getting the gel seat but I'm not sure. I'm not super picky about comfort as I've had seats made of 16 gauge steel and yoga mat before. Definitely valuing cost effectiveness over comfort.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I think I'll probably drop the preload/height in the back a tiny bit because I'm not very heavy. I can tiptoe it fine, so I really don't care for now. A Seat Concepts order might be in my future though, the second gen low seat looks pretty awesome for the price. The guy I bought it from was like 6' 2" so I think he probably cranked the preload a bit and raised the back.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Some girl yelled at me that I looked "gay as gently caress" on my DRZ out the window of her lovely car. My jacket's kinda short I guess, but jeez. I just did a wheelie and flipped her off.
:unsmith:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It was a lovely wheelie, and I didn't flip her off while doing it. So don't worry, even if I had my gopro it wouldn't have mattered.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I got my Seat Concepts seat on a couple days ago. It's a little firmer, but goddamn is it the perfect height for me. I was just a little bit too high before and now I can actually get on the bike without putting the kickstand down and climbing on.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Next thing for the DRZ is gonna be a set of tires that aren't dualsport Shinkos. I've been really happy with Avon tires on my other bikes, so I was looking at Distanzias. I do 95% of my riding on the road, and I would like something that feels a little bit more comfortable at the edge of the sidewall than a chinese trail tire. Should I just buy a set of Pilot Powers and call it a day?

Edit: Also, I really want to try out a black gas tank to complete the black and white on my bike. Not sure if I should plasti dip it, vinyl wrap it, or just sack up and paint it. I think I might start with the $5 can of plasti dip.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 14, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The only thing you'd have to deal with is the tank. Which is what I'm trying to figure out right now. Picked up $10 worth of plasti dip, I'll give it a shot after work tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So what's the cheapest way to get an FCR for my DRZ? Wrecked 400E?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So what do you guys use for helmets? Before this summer's over I'm planning on road tripping to some OHV parks in Wisconsin and falling down in some dirt and stuff, so I was gonna just get a dirt bike helmet. My street helmet's fine, but it sucked the couple times I went off of pavement with it for an extended amount of time. Should I just get a Bell dirt helmet and finally have an excuse to buy Ronnie Mac beer goggles?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Does anybody happen to have a good picture of where the stupid butterfly return spring is supposed to go on the DRZ400 Mikuni carb? I swear to god I've tried everything and it still doesn't loving feel right. All I was trying to do was adjust the needle clip and somehow I managed to knock the spring off it's clip/post thing while rotating the fucker. I want to just use this as an excuse to get an FCR. I really, really do.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Figured out the Mikuni on my DRZ. Clip richer fixed my machine gun engine brake popping but it feels like the low end isn't really there anymore. I think I'm gonna just buy an FCR from Sisneros and call it a day. I've been working 60 hour weeks to justify it to myself.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Well this is embarrassing. About a week ago I went to do a standard 2nd gear clutch up...but instead of second it was in first. 12oclocked the poo poo out of it, lost my feet, but managed to hold it and bring it back down somehow. Since then I've still been clutching it up, but weak little three inchers mostly, nothing like what I'd been doing before. I'm scared, so I've just been practicing my fast offroading skills and little jumps, but want to keep expanding my hooligan skills in all directions. So today I went out to practice and learned that first gear power wheelies are like easy mode! Just cover the rear, get going ~10mph and dump the throttle and just rip it up. They pop up quickly and controllably, and while I can't hold it as long as a 2nd gear clutch up it certainly takes some of the uncertainty out of it and is much easier to get up. Kinda stoked.

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing but like 5 times. I always had my foot on the rear brake thank god, but it scared the poo poo out of me when I instantly sprang up to 12 o' clock. It took me a second to realize I was in first after doing it a few times.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
TT and Sisneros are both sold out of FCR 39 MXs until September because they're waiting on Sudco. I'm gonna cry.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My favorite week of work was when I had a 35 minute interstate drive to a job site. I turned it into an hour of twisty middle of nowhere back roads via Google maps. I don't have comfort/luxury standards though because I'm used to 70's UJMs that may or may not have stupid clip-ons and rear sets.

Edit: Forgot to share my proudest moment of the day. I had my first low(no) speed drop. Pulled up to a stop sign to turn right, didn't notice weird road crown at the very edge of the road. Went for usual lean to the left and went right instead, put out my stubby little leg and discovered I was just too short for it to do any good. I managed to hop off the bike and lower it down one handed. Hit the kill switch and picked it up instantly, while a dude on a bicycle rides by at 1 mph and just yells "WOAH BRO!" at the most anti-climactic crash ever. No scratches/broken anything. Let the engine un-flood and hit the starter, was on my way 5 seconds later. <3 supermotos

Yerok fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 31, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I guess I'm just going to get Distanzias for my DRZ because I have some dirt fuckery/camping planned for the fall. Anyone wanna chime in with what sizes they've had exceptional luck with? I've read a bunch of conflicting info about what sizes use the SM compound and which don't.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, actually. My DRZ came with the stock pipe and tires off the bike, among other things.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Just wait until you accidentally 12oclock it.

Almost looped the DRZ today, when I went for a "pissed off and need to relax ride" after work. Second gear wheelie got a little high and I decided to go for 12 o clock. Got there, panicked a bit and pressed down with my right foot, only to find that it slipped off the rear brake. Clutched in and held on to the bars while my rear end slid backwards and popped it down. I'm sure anyone on the sidewalk got a good laugh out of that one. I need to put my loving sliders on damnit.

Edit: I guess it must have been 11:30 since I didn't go over backwards. :haw:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

ChewedFood posted:

When panicking in a wheelie, don't clutch. The resistance from engine braking will bring you down from even farther than 12 o'clock.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you! That'll definitely save my rear end in the future.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I got an FCR39MX for my DRZ, and it's showing up Saturday. What's the most recent fix for the accelerator pump? Is safety wire better than the "o-ring" mod?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Trying to pick out a main jet size from this install guide, I'm several hundred feet above sea level with 3x3 and a Yoshimura exhaust. Thinking 160 probably, at least for this season.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/562280-fcr-39mx-install-using-the-tt-kit/

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
FCR install on the DRZ went pretty good, should have checked the AP timing before buttoning it up though. Looks like that's gonna need a bit of adjustment as well as the fuel screw. There's a tiny stumble from the AP and the acceleration, while way better than the Mikuni ever was, isn't as brutal as I'd like.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm gonna see if I can use my phone to look down the intake tube and watch the AP squirt so I don't have to unbolt the subframe again haha. The stumble seems to be the worst when the engine is nice and hot, if there are any carb wizards reading this.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The fuel screw is at 2 turns out as per ThumperTalk jetting recommendations, so it's very close but not perfect. The stumble is unmistakably the result of a poorly timed accelerator pump because it lasts a split second then clears up right away. I'm sure I could be wrong, the only real place to start is with fixing the AP timing and going from there. I'm gonna order an R&D flex fuel screw tonight to make for easier adjustments.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Holy poo poo the stock DRZ fender is terrible in the rain.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was gonna get an Acerbis one but now I don't know. If the stock SM fender is this bad then I can only assume the aftermarket ones are like water funnels

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

JP Money posted:

No way, it's totally worth it not to have the front end get squirrely at like 50mph. Get the sumo fender.

You are 100% right. Also Nidhg, that's exactly what happened to me last night. I need those gloves with the windshield wiper finger.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I was leaving my buddy's house last night after it started raining and explained to him that sitting upright in the rain gets you soaked no matter what.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Just another great day riding in the rain on the crotch water funnel. Super glad I just bought a new helmet that has a visor and good anti-fog yesterday.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So if the combination of the FCR 39 and a Yosh exhaust doesn't pop at all when downshifting hard it's probably too rich, right?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Right now it's running 45 pilot, no pilot air jet, clip 3 EMN needle, 160 main. The AP cam has the o-ring mod, but I'm considering getting a bowl with leak jet adjustment. I'm in Madison, WI so I'm basically at sea level. 3x3 and full Yosh RS2 as far as intake and exhaust mods. It's running pretty good, seems a bit down on power though. It doesn't seem like it wants to lift the front end when you get on the throttle like it should in first and second. I think it's probably the AP, but I'm not really sure.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 23, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Is there a trick to telling a late AP squirt from an early one? Obviously they both produce a bog for different reasons, and I guess I could start way late and make it sooner and sooner until it starts running bad and back it off again.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Exploded my chain clutching up second this morning on the way to class. Mashing refresh on the USPS tracking page for my chain and sprocket set.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I thought about getting Kouba links the first time I sat on the DRZ, but now that I've gotten comfortable with the ride height I would never even consider them.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Went for a ride to run some errands today, 45 degrees and drizzling all afternoon. First gear was hilarious with the FCR and my stupid tires in the rain.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I keep smelling burning at stoplights, then I lean to the right and remember that there's still a ton of cheap polyester/acrylic/something pant material melted onto my Yosh exhaust from the DGR. I wonder what the PO did with the heat shield.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Went for a ride with a sportbike buddy on some nice country roads. I was right behind him in the corners, but every long straight the VFR would loose me while I pinned the DRZ wide open and put my chin on the tank. Good times.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Got stopped for a written wheelie warning on the way home today, it was the last of probably 10-12 and just happened to be 30 seconds from my house. Just played dumb and said I was used to having dirt/trail to ride back where I'm from, old habits die hard, etc. Worked out pretty good.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The FCR39MX goes a long way towards making a stock DRZ more of a handful. Although it's not exactly super fun to tune the accelerator pump, and really requires an adjustable leak jet AP cover to get it right. First time you hammer second gear open makes it all worth it though. A buddy of mine went down a tooth on the front sprocket of his stock DRZ SM, and maybe up one tooth on the rear. He said it's really fun in the city, but he doesn't feel comfortable on the highway anymore. Sprockets aren't that expensive though so try it out and see if you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on your DRZ and adding a $500 carb should be totally justifiable with some minor mental gymnastics. You can always take a chance on a used one as well.

• Locked thread