Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
How bad an idea is a 2002 660 smc? I get the feeling you really want a late model 690 for ease of maintenance, reliability and power but having a kick starter is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Until it's 95+ degrees, 95%+ humidity and the bike doesn't want to cooperate. Then it loving sucks and you'll be looking for the smallest little hill to bump start from. Unless it's track/dirt only I'll never own another kickstart only bike.

My old bike was kickstarter only and boy did I have an egg on my face when, almost passing out from exertion, I discovered the kill switch was in the off position.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Hey Clutchpuck, I'm almost certainly going to get a Uly before the winter. What are my options as far as aftermarket springs and luggage (assuming it doesn't come with stock luggage) goes?

Yeah like Clutchpuck says, 07+ has better springs. 08+ has 47mm forks instead of 43mm and a wider lock to lock range. This only applies to the XB12X though, the XT and STT have different suspensions (also from one another). The X has reinforced wheels too.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Over here the 690 SM and 660SMC are both the same price, from what I hear the 660 isn't a wise choice though. 690SMCs however, cost at least 1.5x as much and I haven't seen any of the -R's for sale.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Re: disabling the O2 sensor, won't that kill the ecu's ability to re-tune itself for changing conditions (i.e. altitude)? I that is the case for my bike, even though the o2 sensor does indeed make it shuddery cruising at low speeds. Or do these bikes have another sensor for their learning abilities?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

needknees posted:

Sumo goons, if you are in the central Midwest and have been looking for a 690smc, look no further.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=49#post431871571

If you were too lazy to click here's the skinny. 2009 690smc with 5550mi. I'm the second owner. Newish tires, tons of spares/upgrades will be included (most of which is not installed). Also have a giant loop moto coyote saddlebag we can discuss.

Asking $6500. Located in central IA.

Buy my bike so I'm not tempted to pull my for sale ads!

Sweet bike but an oil change every ~1300 miles?!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

needknees posted:

Small oil capacity, high output relatively high rpm single (equals HEAT), plus getting beat up by the transmission? Yeah I'll bite the bullet and swap the synth dino goo more frequently than normal. If you think that's bad my trackbike gets oil changes every 300mi or so :geno:

On one hand I definitely get that, on the other hand doesn't KTM actually specify something bizarre like 10000 miles, at least for the latest ones? Not that I'd go with that...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

The recommendation for oil changes on the 690 is 3k. I usually did mine around 2-3k, because with the expensive stuff the transmission never felt notchy before that.

2014 smc-r manual says every 10000km (6000mi), which is more than I'd be comfortable doing but I'd probably end up rounding down to like 5000 miles.

My current bike has dedicated transmisssion oil which is probably great for oil life, on the other hand its being air cooled, not so much.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

That new husky looks amazing. I might just hold off for that. Any idea what the price is?

I don't know how much the Duke is in the US but it's basically an SMC and that's the Duke + 10%.

prukinski posted:

I don't know what the newer ones with the sportsbike style, as opposed to sumo, seat are like. A lot better, I'm guessing.

It's fine for a day of highway riding, although the super-upright posture does mean a lot of wind pressure and noise. Agreed that the Duke III looks way better though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Ontop of the fucker.

I've seen this leg position, sticking it straight forward, or dragging the foot along the tarmac. Do you know what's up with that? I took a dirt riding class once and they said to just stick your leg straight forward, but you often see supermoto ridings dragging foot.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Is there anything wrong with earlier years of it? 5k would be about the max of my price range, depending. I could go with the wr250x, which I've always liked. But why not go all in on an smc if the oppurtinuty comes up? My searchtempest is maxed out at 1200 miles, so these all seem to be just out of that range.

2012 got a little more power, 2014 again more (the dual plug head and ride by wire). It also got ABS at some point. I don't know if you'd be able to find any for 5k, could easily pick up a 660 smc for that but eeeeh.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Honestly the 701 is the bike I'd like to have most, more than a SuperDuke even.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
You don't want to be in a sick supermoto gang?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
^^^ Looks awesome.

I'm pretty much set on trading in my 690 Duke for a 690 based supermoto, only the question is whether it'll be the SMC or the Husky 701. The 701 carries more fuel, but the SMC has a tach, which I find a requirement for something lc4 powered. I wonder if it'd be possible to hook a tach up to the 701? It's coil-on-plug.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

It lugs if you're below 5krpm in higher gears, and then it's only 3k till redline. I find it easy to hit the limiter.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gullous posted:

The tach is your butt. Only .2 more gallons in the 701, it's nice but 10 miles isn't going to change anything. The gas cap is a bit less susceptible to letting debris enter the tank on the 701, but that's more of a concern on dirt.

I thought it was a quart. In any case, yeah it's not that big a deal.

JB50 posted:

A tach really? Hahahahaha.

I too ride my moto by looking down at the gauges all the time.

I actually check them all the time, like the mirrors.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I own a 690 Duke and it's been a piece of poo poo reliability wise. Issues with the master cylinder, replaced at 9k miles. It had always consumed some oil, which is normal for the LC unfortunately, but at 7k miles it got much, much worse: broken piston ring. Got a new top end under warranty, then 1k later it overheated and seized. Apparently this was because at the factory someone had installed two oil return membrane on top of one another instead of just one. Don't know if that also caused the ring failure and why it took that long for issues to manifest, but the dealer said KTM told them to check for the membrane issue, so apparently it's happened before. At 10k miles the bike was on its second cylinder, third piston, second water pump, crank. The new for 2016 LC4 in the Duke also has some teething issues. Also, these bikes tend to run too hot for my tastes, they've just got a teeny tiny fan and the temperature gets near the max during traffic. I guess it's partly how they calibrated the indicator, and I guess that if the cooling system's good enough for enduro use it's good enough for me, but I still don't like it.

Owner of the dealership told me that some years/models are more troublesome than others, but that generally 1 in 20 bikes has recurring issues, no matter if they're built in India or Austria.

However I'm still planning on trading in the bike for an SMC or 701, there's just nothing that compares. However I don't think I'll keep it past the warranty period.

Re: exhausts and stuff. The later model LC4 bikes you can't tune with TuneEcu anymore, and there's only 2 tunes, the normal one and one for the full Akrapovic system. So people mess around with other filters/pipes and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I'd stick with the official stuff, expensive as it is.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Ouch!

That is a laundry list of troubles. Teething issues with the redesign? Admittedly my experience with these bikes is in the 08-12 region, aside from Grizzled's 701. That's just had the standard "melt your own turn signal on exhaust side" issue.

I'd run from your particular bike with an issue list like that, and I'd be pretty pissed off.

What year is yours? I have a friend with a post Baja (aka Indian manufacturing influence) 690 Duke who's been trouble free but I think that's about as new as my direct interactions go.

Mine's a 2014, which is the third year of the dual spark head engine. So probably not teething issues, just shittily put together.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Viktor posted:

Whenever I get a decent offer I'm trading mine in for something drastically more subdued.

How do you mean? That it makes you ride like an idiot? Mine does that, and it's not even an smc.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Husqvarna 701 is getting the Duke V engine for 2017: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/september/husqvarna-701-gets-updated-engine-for-2017/

Sucks for people who bought the 2016 model I guess. No news on the 690 SMC.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Husky keeping with their tradition of never keeping a model without significant changes for more than a model year, I see. Nice to know that these will still be used market lepers in four years. What do you mean by V engine? Vtwin?

The engine used in the 5th gen (2016) Duke.

builds character posted:

Is it heavier? :ohdear:

Not according to the spec sheet. I don't know how both this and the 701/690 with the older engine manage to pass emissions looking like they do, while the Duke needs a huge ugly exhaust box under the engine.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 4, 2016

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Looks like you 2016 husky 701 SM owners can get a power commander now if riding with no baffle is your thing.

Edit: I see their installation manual PDF says it's for the 2017 701 SM, probably a mistake.

The 2016 model probably fits the 2017 though, as the 2015 and '16 690 Duke PCV models are identical. Furthermore, the only difference between the '16 701 and 690 models is that for some reason Husky saw fit the swap the polarity of the injector leads.

What I don't get is that one of their maps is 'stock exhaust, original or modified airbox' and the other is 'Wings exhaust and airbox'. I know the guy whose bike they did the development on was mapped first with only the exhaust, and then exhaust + airbox. And that the airbox is the restrictive factor on these bikes, I doubt even an unbaffled exhaust would require remapping.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Husky 701 owners: there'll be a tuning kit for the '17 701 released this month. It includes a new airbox, exhaust, tuning, emissions equipment removal. Part no. 27012945000. Don't know how the airbox is different from the stock one, my hunch is it just doesn't include openings for the emissions hoses. The air filter cover is different too, but it looks like it's the same one that's been a 690 power part for ages.

At ~850 bucks it's relatively cheap, cheaper than just the exhaust (which is identical to the one in the kit) for the 2016 model.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Hopefully we'll be able to get kits without exhaust since I'm sure everyone bought the cheaper Wings one any way.

Well provided the airbox changes are minimal you can just chuck on the ~$30 power parts airbox lid and have a dealer perform the mapping. Get some random emissions block-off kit. Really the fact that there's a mapping now is the big win.

If you don't have an exhaust yet, though, I don't think the price of the kit is that high, plus the Akra it comes with has European certification.

Edit: Also, there was just a power commander released for the '16 models as well. Downloadable map for Wings + PP airbox cover. Should fit on the '17 but nobody's tried it of course.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 3, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Is this compatible with the 2016 701sm engine?

As far as I know, no. I saw the kit advertised as being for 2017 bikes, and the 2016 model has a completely different ECU. However, it would be best to ask your dealer; I've only seen the kit in a single web shop here so there isn't much info on it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

cryosis posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement seat for a 2008 690 SMC? The front clip portion of my new-to-me has been worn down enough where it won't stay fully latched which makes seating a bit exciting at times.

The stock seat seems fine other that the falling off thing, but I haven't ridden it for a full day or anything yet. Had started looking at the Seat Concepts if anyone has good/bad thoughts on that one.

Well you can probably get a stock seat pretty cheap second hand, and I've also heard good things about Seat Concepts. I've also seen people say the KTM ergo seat is actually worse than stock.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
it finally arrived at the dealer, only a couple more days before I get to pick it up...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

I like it.

Is that a Hyosung on the lift behind your 701? Did you buy it at some sort of mega-dealer? The very few Husky shops in my area basically only sell dirt bikes and quads, and usually carry Husky and either KTM or Polaris

Yes it's a mega dealer, they've got all the Japanese brands, Aprilia, Ducati, KTM and Husky. And Piaggio and Vespa. They don't sell any dirt/mx bikes though, but there's also dealers I know of that started as dirt-only and then started selling KTM or Husky street bikes.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
When I was selling my Buell XB12 someone wanted to trade for an RSV Mille, that would have been some kind of sick display of mutual sado-masochism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Yerok posted:

I got rid of my DRZ a while ago and I don't know what supermoto to follow it up with. Not a whole lot of 690's on craigslist these days. There are a decent amount of cheap WR450F's on Seattle Craiglist.

Maybe 701s are starting to pop up for sale.

• Locked thread