Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Having been in and out of the supermoto scene a couple of times, I can say that they are stupidly fun, and basically like motorcycle crack.

I had a 2005 DRZ400SM, and if I could go back and do it all over again, I would get another DRZ. They are down on power compared to the bigger displacement KTM's and Husky's, but the real world speed difference isnt really that big. If you do the FCR39MX mod on a DRZ and stick a nice pipe on it, its pretty much all anyone would need on the street. Throw the DRZ400E cam in for even more steam.

If you currently ride a DRZ, you owe it to yourself to install an FCR39MX carb. Its like a motor swap.

I do have to disagree with this though:

quote:

The gearing and the light weight make the most of the engines, and from 0-80MPH they are as fast as all but the hairiest sportbikes.

Whoever wrote that has been out of the sportbike game for a while. Supermoto bikes are quick, but they arent sportbike quick. Which is one of the nice things about them, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vampire Panties posted:

I ride an 06 DRZ400sm, and I was curious about this carb. How hard is it to install, and what parts do I need? Also, what is the 3x3 airbox mod? I've been riding my bike bone stock for about six months now, and I'd like to step up the power some. I have to agree with everyone else though, this bike is so much fun it should be illegal.

As above, see ThumperTalk for any DRZ questions, they are basically the mecca of DRZ info.

I do have to say though, as much as I love TT, and the info they provide, dont buy the FCR39MX from them. Its often backordered for months, and they charge close to $600 for it. You can buy FCR39MX's on eBay all day long for around $150. After you buy the jetting needed for the DRZ, you're still right around $200.

I didnt have to change the cables on my DRZ for the FCR, I did have to bend one of the cable mounts a bit, but it wasnt a big deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its not everyone. Basically its only people on the track, and even then not all of them do it.

If you ever see anyone drifting on the street, count yourself lucky, its a rare (and probably illegal) sight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

Do most dealers have the supermotos on display or is it generally a "you know what you want and you buy it on order" type of deal? I would love to see one in person to get an idea of the seating position.

My local Suzuki dealer generally has at least one in stock. They're pretty popular. If you're a short guy, it would behoove you to sit on one for a while and see how you like it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HNasty posted:

I don't think the DUKE I, II or 690 technically count as supermotos but whatever. Here is mine :D

I dont really think the Duke, or the SMR do either. They're more like really well-sprung adventure bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DRZ with big-bore kit and an oversized tank yo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stizu posted:

From what I have heard, as long as you get a street legal ktm, they are every bit as reliable as a drz and have similar maintenance intervals. I have not heard many good things about the reliability of the aprillia and I haven't heard much of anything about the huskies. I do want a husky 510 rather bad though.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but a good place to go for sumo info is https://www.supermotojunkie.com yes, it is spelled wrong.

My roomate had a KTM Supermoto at the same time as I had my DRZ. While I wont say it wasnt reliable, it did require alot more maintenance than my DRZ.

I know the "lol KTM rattles parts off left and right" is a tired cliche at this point, but it has its base in the truth. That bike was a constant game of finding loose parts and locktite-ing them before they fell off on the road. More than once he would come home and his rear blinkers would be dangling by the wires.

The exhaust was also a constant tightening struggle for some reason.

It was also very prone to flooding and vapor locking for some reason. That being said, it never did leave him stranded, it just wasnt the "push the button and go" vehicle that my DRZ was.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Does it make basically no sense at all to take a dirtbike and convert to a street legal SM? Adding wheels, tires, brakes, lines, speedo, lights, and license seems like a bitch.

It generally doesnt make much sense unless you're racing. By the time you take a 450 or whatever, and buy wheels and tires, different gearing, the proper brake disks for the rims, revalve the suspension for the street (if you're really going to do it right), add a lighting coil, put in the wiring, lighting and switches to make it street legal, and jump through the registration hoops, you generally could have just bought a supermoto.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spartak posted:

What about getting a used (road legal) xr500-600 or something and slapping some 17" rims on it? Cos that's what I want to do :haw:

But then again, that would probably be narrowly cheaper than a second hand DRZ. I guess the only problem would be finding one that wasn't thrashed, which they all probably would be.

You can certainly do that, yes. 17 inch rims arent just something that can be "slapped on" by most people though. Excel or similar wheels are thousands of dollars. As I mentioned before, they dont come with brake disks, and the stock disks wont work on the aftermarket wheels, so you have to do that too. After tires and everything, you're probably around the cost of a DRZSM. Not to mention that the DRZSM has way better street suspension than the XR's.

As n8 said, you can run street tires on the standard wheels, which makes for a supermoto on the cheap. Doesnt look as cool, but the effect is nearly the same. Thats what I do with my Kawi 250 enduro. I put some Maxxis Promaxx tires on, and I have 95% of the fun factor of a regular supermoto with almost none of the cost.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For sure the handling isnt as good, but you can still toss it around like nothing. Which is half the point anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My dirtbikes current 21" wheels connect to a drum brake.

The bike will still endo with drum brakes.

I certainly wouldnt worry too much about a hydraulic disk brake.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

You won't regret it! I went from a GSXR600 to a DRZ and love it.

Same here. I didnt regret leaving my GSXR for the DRZ at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the thing that people conveniently forget about the Hypermotard. Its not really a supermoto. If you want to be really anal, its because its not based of a dirtbike. Mainly though, the reason lies in its heft and the fact that while it outpowers every supermoto on the market, it doesnt out suspension them.

A DRZ or a KTM or Husky or whatever SM you want, could ride down stairs and jump off loading docks and do whatever the gently caress until you're blue in the face. The Ducati, while it does have more travel than your average streetbike, isnt really set up for that kind of hardcore suspension abuse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

I think I could handle valve checks and oil changes every 1500 miles, but the connecting rod needing to be replaced at 6,000 miles? I mean, the connecting rod? Really?

Seconding n8rs feelings. This is why a DRZ with a FCRMX carb, a pipe and cam will be a better supermoto than most "real" supermotos will ever be.

Will it beat them on the dyno? No. But it will take all the abuse you can throw at it, it'll make enough power to keep most anyone happy, and wont make you adjust the valves and rering the piston every other mile.

Seriously. LOL at a conrod as a consumable part, thats just stupid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get ready to play with the accelerator pump duration. Mine was way too long.

Also, the carb doesnt look like it will fit in there the first 9 times you try it, but it does fit, its tight, but it fits in there.

Any frustration you experience installing/tuning it will instantly be wiped away the first time you get on the throttle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I forget the exact process now, but you can change how long the accelerator pump actually pumps (referred to as duration) when you open the throttle. The DRZ just needs a small shot (probably a second or so). Most of these FCRs come set with a pretty long duration for larger bikes. If you bought a DRZ-specific kit it may be set OK.

You basically have to get the float bowl filled with gas, prime it, and crank the throttle open and count how long the pump sprays fuel for.

Here's some relevant reading material:

http://docta-zaius.freeservers.com/whats_new.html
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228209
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31460

The bike will run pretty crappy when its not set right, so its worth it to make sure its set.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sw0cb posted:

Why?

Because he's wrong. And what rev said

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supermoto bikes are basically just nice looking ticket printers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In WI, radar detectors are legal, and I've never had a cop even give it a second thought. I know some guys panic and disconnect the whole thing and stick it in their glove box before the cop gets to their car. I cant imagine why they would do that, if the device is legal. Thats like getting a ticket for wearing glasses that help you see cops better, its not illegal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Congrats, you'll love it! They're a ball of fun.

Say what you will about the KTM's being faster, or whatever, but the DRZ was a hell of a bike, and I miss mine every day. I'll buy one again some day.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

It's an excellent choice all around. I got one as a second bike and honestly wish I just gotten it in the first place. Light, handles well, cheap to own, and a huge aftermarket.

I owned an 05 DRZ as my like 28th bike. Anyway, it was a barrel of fun, and its one of the few bikes I regret selling.

They are so flickable and smooth. The suspension is great, the engine is great the brakes are great, and I could go on. I wish I had the foresight to buy a good superslab bike AND hang on to the DRZ, but unfortunately it was one or the other for me at the time.

I'll get another DRZ some day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

New room mate is bringing over her 07 DRZ that she wants to sell tonight for me to ride. It has a lot of work done to it from when she worked at a Suzuki dealer...lowered, 39mm flatside carb, 440 big bore, high comp piston, different crank, full titanium exhaust, all yellow plastics, shaved seat and a few other things I can't list off the top of my head. Looking forward to it.

Holy poo poo, thats REALLY worked over. It ought to be seriously powerful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

So turns out it is a stock 400 motor with cams, crank, piston, shims, flatside, exhaust and all the other goodies. With the shaved seat and lowered suspension I can sit on it pretty comfortable. Roommate thought it had a 440 kit but wasn't sure. Rode around the neighborhood a bit, a couple main roads, up the curb in front of the house and across the lawn, what a fun bike.

Riding it to work tomorrow even though if I buy it I doubt I would commute on it very often. Will see what she wants for it when I get home most likely.

That still ought to be pretty strong.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rode it to work today and it actually wasn't too bad for commuting. Even took the interstate home, thing easily hits 90 and has a fair amount in reserve. After work I traded my textile suit and laptop for my leathers and headed for the twisties. I didn't actually intend on going to the dragon but like every other time I go out I ended up there. The bike really shines there, plenty of power and even on the lovely tires (Avon Distanzia) there was a lot of grip to play with.

I haven't talked to her about price yet but my roommate mentioned that she had talked to him about selling it for $4500, it around 15k miles. I'm not sure if she is flexible on the price or if that is even what she will ask but what are your thoughts on the price if it was $4500?

I sold my 05 for $4000, with that work on a newer bike I'd say its definitely worth it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mattfl posted:

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!

Thats my problem too. I miss my DRZ pretty bad, but it'll be hard to convince the wife to let me get another.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tsaven Nava posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is the Supermotard thing a pretty recent phenomenon? I can't seem to find many bikes for sale much older then a couple years.

It technically started in the late 70's/early 80's with Superbikers. It didnt really hit national consciousness till the early 2000's though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

You really do get what you pay for though, as a house with a DRZ, Husky and a KTM, it's not hard to see how the KTM and Husky justify the extra cost once you ride one. DRZ is awesome, but a DRZ vs a Husky 450 SMR is a Miata vs Elise.

Eh, the build quality isnt (or wasnt as of 05/06) there on the KTM yet. My old roomate had a 650 SMC, and while it was faster, it had a lot of downsides to it, and his cost of ownership was most certainly higher, both in out of pocket costs, and time costs.

Not that its a bad bike, its just not "turnkey for at least the next 10 years" like the DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*starts saving pennies for 2011 DRZ-450SM :fap:*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AWD Eclipse/Talon

I have also determined that the Zodiac is the supermoto of the boat world.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While the DRZ-SM shares suspension with the RM, the valving is completely different and geared towards street riding. Guys who have used DRZ-SM's offroad have blown seals and stuff like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Soooooooo now I'm on the hunt for a 96+ DR650, partially because I want to have a trail bike to take to Upper Michigan this summer, and partially because I want to buy a second set of hubs and lace SM rims to them.

Anyone have a DR650 in the midwest that they want to give away out of goonerocity :huh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

That's a god drat ark of a trails bike. I've seen a few DR650's in Sumo trim, goofy big bastards. Lots of charm though. Like you just wanna see what the big oaf can do.

Yeah they're big bikes, I'm a big guy though, at 6'3", I havent found a bike I couldn't muscle around yet. I do still have a 250 2-stroke that I can take on the trails as well. I pretty much constantly miss my DRZ-400SM that I had, and the 650 is a good way to get back there for cheap. The Z had better suspension, but as long as the 650 can soak up bumps I'm fine.

I actually think they look pretty awesome in SM trim:

Basically like an overgrown DRZ-400SM. Either way, I wont be racing it or anything, so a good streetable SM is higher on my priority list than a good raceable SM. I may be tempted to take it to one of the SM trackdays that they hold up in Road America on the kart track, but that'd be it.

DR 800's, now THOSE are monsters.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 20, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Milwaukee to the 'Zoo to the UP is one hell of a trip compared to MKE to the UP :colbert:

Ha, I should get on the ferry to Muskegon and go that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I believe so, but now that I think about it, its been two seasons since I've been to an SM track day there, so I cant say for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, DR650 SM's are awesome :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Coulda cleared the whole city on a 690 :colbert:

And rained down parts. :colbert:

Z3n posted:

That's a DRZ, all the haters can suck it. :v:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/02/bottoms-up-sloganeering-and-engineering.html

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 24, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bikesnob is absolutely hilarious. Everyone should read it even if they arent into bicycles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, the butterfly in CV carbs really makes quite a restriction despite being pretty small.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The CB100 would have had a roundslide. Same basic concept, different design. Closer to CV's, performance wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seriously, I'm proclaiming this right now. The DRZ is the best street supermoto you can buy. Period.

Yes, you can buy things with more power or better suspension or whatever, but NOTHING can touch the DRZ in day-to-day livability, and absolute bomb-proofness, which, in the end is what matters to 99% of people.

• Locked thread