Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha, what kind of crazy rear end crabon brakes are you used to that the DRZ brakes make you wonder if you'll stop in time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you stay on the throttle hard enough when the rear goes over, you'll just keep the wheelie up. And probably catch a little air.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Motards with road bike alloy wheels always look so stupid IMO.

Yeah, spokes or nothin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is this happening to all you people? I'm a big, tall (Big&Tall lol) dude, and my DRZ was begging to wheelie all over the place.

Are you guys actually sitting on the tank or what?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I stand by my statement :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its like one of those Russian nesting dolls in the form of a forum.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably because you're groggy and not overthinking it. My best wheelies are the ones I'm not really intending to do. When I set out to do one usually its crap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I aint lying when I tell people the flatslide is like an engine swap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PadreScout posted:

I read that as "rape tech" which I think means I'm a bad bad person.

Thats a completely different, yet still spring and valve based company.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Any of the other DRZ owners have any problems with burning oil at freeway speeds?

Any thumper will consume oil at freeway speeds. My DRZ did it too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

How much did it burn roughly?

Hoestly, I dont remember exactly, as it was a while ago, but if I spent all day at highway speeds, you could see that it was low in the sight glass.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You two are the exception to the rule then. Most any thumper will consume some oil at extended highway speeds.

They probably just consumed so little that you didnt/couldnt notice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Reading further on it suggests that its due to the rings? Apparently manufacturers are fixing it in newer engines. 09+ KLR's have different rings that stop the oil burning at high speeds. Maybe Suzuki did something similar during the life of the DRZ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its very possible that the big bore kit uses whatever ring technology it is that allows for less/no oil burning.

In fact I'd bet on it.

All the more reason to get a big bore kit :wotwot:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

Huskys don't consume any oil...because you change it before it has a chance to.

More like "...because the connecting rod change interval is shorter than the oil change interval"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

DRZ400SMs have been holding their value pretty well

Which sucks if you want to buy one :argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jharkov posted:

This man knows whats up.
I got my DRZ400E for like $1500 USD and 4 years later still running great. no oil loss either.
So with the E already having cams that are on par with Hot cams, and one up compression ratio, and a flatslide carb, thats alot less money to throw away if you bought an S model.

Buy some Warp 9 wheels, sell the dirt wheels if you have no interest in dirt.

This is probably what I'll end up doing, as I miss my DRZ quite frequently. Some day, some day :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

How would the RMZ in SM form stack up next to the current motor with a flatside carb?

The flatslide DRZ would still be slower than the RMZ, but there is no way they would put an RMZ motor on the street as-is, the maintenance intervals are way too low, and they just arent suited to stop and go and extended idling and things like that.

I'm betting they'll leave the "inconvenient race motor on the street" game to Husky.

If an RMZ motor did show up in street trim, its almost guaranteed that it would make less power than the dirtbike version, meaning that a modded DRZ motor probably wouldnt be far off from it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never minded passengers on my DRZ, as much as one can not mind a passenger. I didnt feel that it was any more difficult than my GSXR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Primo Itch posted:

There really isn't much to it. Take the thing apart and spray a lot of WD-40 on all the small holes and them wash with gas.

Yeah, dont do this at all. You need to use carb cleaner, WD wont get rid of any varnish. Make sure that you get it in all the passages, and actually take the jets out to clean them, as this is probably a pilot jet issue.

Then dont wash with gas, you'll be putting gas through it when you start it up again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You've gotten lucky with WD40 then, as it wont remove any serious varnish.

You want aerosol carb cleaner, I surely dont know what would be available in Brazil, but what you want is something like this:

http://www.ruralking.com/gumout-carb-choke-spray-7459.html?cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303630303430303133

http://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Chemtool-Carburetor-Cleaner-aerosol/dp/B0002KKIE6

http://www.jcwhitney.com/clean-r-ca...141&zmap=576115

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never understood the fear of SM's (especially the DRZ) on the highway. My drz would pull 100mph stock. 75 wasnt that big of a deal. Unless you're planning to do 90 on the freeway all day, a DRZ shouldnt be too bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Post the DRZedest videos u got.

Gotta love the ankle-cam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZr6e4rl-Pw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AncientTV posted:

Probably a repost, but gently caress it, this video is still rad :hellyeah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI&playnext_from=TL&videos=8rLZA57jCe8

off topic: how the hell do you embed youtube videos?

That video should be GIF'ed and made into the background of Cycle Asylum

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jabs posted:

Oh, gently caress no. Not a fan of motion sickness while reading.

It would only show outside of the post boxes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

The DRZ is a 400, right? Even the older ones seem really expensive. I assume that's the more "putt putt" and zip around on a small bike sumo experience? Is it much slower than mine?

They arent too much slower than the 625's, couldnt tell you about the 690 though.

I think you're really overthinking this though. Its not like the DRZ is like a Honda spree and the 690 is some twin turbo Busa. They have their differences for sure, and the DRZ is slower than a 690, but theyre not as far apart as you're making it out to be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Have you ridden a 690 smc? They're insane. Shorter wheelbase than the drz, insanely responsive FI, , a much tighter chassis, it reminds me of what I felt the first time I rode a literbike. They're not that fast if you look at the raw specs of it but the bike simply doesn't gently caress around, ever. The "ready to race" isn't just a slogan, it is without a doubt one of the most uncompromised bikes I've ever ridden.

It's also the first bike I've ever ridden where I thought the factory gearing could need to be a little taller. First gear is hilariously useless.

No, I've only ever ridden the 625, which doesnt have too much of a lead on a well tuned DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alright, 690 Anti Defamation League stand down. All I know is the 625 and DRZ are drat close, so I didnt think the 690 would be far off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I have sort of a crazy idea rolling around in my head.

I have all the parts on order to completely rebuild my Kawasaki F11-250 (1975 2-stroke 250 for those not in the know), and should have it up and running within the month.

I already have street tires on it, but the stock wheels are the regular olschool dirtbike size (21" front, 18" rear or something like that), and the hubs are standard 36-hole hubs.

I'm thinking about buying excel rims and lacing them to my stock hubs. I can get excel rims for pretty cheap ($140-180 per rimbrand new, of course less on ebay), and I have a lead on a guy who does wheel lacing who can hook up the spokes and get everything trued up.

Part of me thinks creating an oldschool supermoto would be sweet, part of me isnt sure.

What think ye goons?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nothing drags at the speeds/angles it can attain on the street. Being a more dirt oriented enduro means that everything is pretty out of the way.

It already wheelies easily with the stock tires, so 17's would only increase that.

The brakes.....are what they are. They're not bad considering its not capable of particularly high speeds, but they're drums, so theres that.

The suspension is typical 70's, lovely on both ends, with a fair amount of travel in the front.

I just think a vintage supermoto would be fun. The illogical part of my brain says that it would be sweet to lean it till the bars drag, and that it would look cool with the smaller wheels. The logical part of my brain says that the 18/21 combo is fine with street tires, and there isnt much more to be had from a bike like that.

It also says to keep saving for a DRZ :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, the 17's on the F11 was a fleeting dream, I'm just going to get serious about saving for a DRZ-SM, the money is better spent that way.

On the plus side, I hope theres a DRZ-SM in my future!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man_of_Teflon posted:

If you come to the chicago goonmeet next weekend I'll let you ride my DRZ, which (assuming you haven't already) will force you to get one as soon as possible.

I used to own an 05 drz-sm with a full exhaust and an fcr-mx carb. It is one of two bikes I regret selling out of the tons of bikes I've been through.

Thanks though!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Man_of_Teflon posted:

In that case, bring back the memories! Though mine is pretty much stock... hopefully next summer I'll be able to start the mods.

Did you do the carb yourself? How tricky is it? And what kind of messing around with jetting is involved after the carb/3x3/exhaust, would I have to find somebody with a dyno?

I did do the carb myself. I got mine off eBay, it was out of a Yamaha WR-450, I believe. The install and jetting wasnt too horrible, but I read ThumperTalk obsessively to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Unfortunately, I dont remember what jetting I was running, but the FCR wasnt too tough to get dialed in. Eddie on ThumperTalk got me 95% of the way there off the top of his head, and I got the last 5% tweaked in just by feel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Possibly a little too lean on the pilot? If your fuel/air screw cover is drilled out, you could try giving it a half turn in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Wouldn't you want to turn it out a half turn in order to make things richer?

Uh, yeah, I'm stuck in 2-stroke mode, where that screw is an air bleed screw.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want a whole DRZ, please ship one to me, tia.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinotize posted:

So I think I want a DRZ for quick stuff and either a beater car or an early 00s bandit 1200 for highway commuting. Am I insane? And, uhhh, can DRZs carry a givi topcase...

You're not crazy at all. I have a 2000 Bandit 1200 and I'd like to complement it with a DRZ. The Bandit is great for touring, highway cruising, long trips, rialin twiztiz and other sportbike stuff, and I really love it. I'd like to get a DRZ for more around town and backroads tomfoolery.

I had an 05 DRZSM a few years ago, and miss it so much I want to get another one. The two bikes would complement each other perfectly. Pretty much everything the DRZ isnt good at, the Bandit is, and vice versa.

Yes they will do a Givi top case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I sold my DRZ two years ago to pay off some debt. Here I am two years later looking to by another DRZ.

Its a vicious cycle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Why not just save a little longer to have a bit more buffer money, or start with the cheaper parts of the remodel project?

Besides that, I was going to say you should ask Phat_Albert how that worked out for him but he's already posted :xd:

I guess what I should have mentioned is that it DID work out. I paid my debt, and the load off my mind has been worth the two years of being DRZ-less.

Looking back, I wish I would have figured out another way to make it work, but that might be just me looking through rose colored glasses at the whole situation. I know at the time I was extremely happy to get cash for the bike and turn right around and hand it over to the bank.

I still want another DRZ like nothing else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AngryGuy posted:

Are there any short dudes here riding a supermoto?

I was going to buy another SV650 but I'm thinking a DRZ400SM would be more fun since I'm still gonna have my Daytona 675.

I'm a short poo poo though and I'm kinda nervous about sitting on top of a 35 inch seat when my inseam is only about 29 inches. That's about 2.5 inches taller than my D675.

If you weigh more than 100lbs, it will compress quite a bit.

• Locked thread