Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've wanted a motard for a while now. For as little long-distance riding as I actually do I should just go ahead and sell my FJR, buy the motard (I really like the 690 SMR but a SM610 would get the job done too) and pocket the change. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pr0zac posted:

My major worry with converting a dirt bike would be the brakes. Dirt bike brakes aren't really made for the level of pressure required to stop a bike on the street. Dirt gives much much sooner.

I thought most conversions involved a larger disc and potentially a bigger caliper to go with it - or are you saying the master cylinder on your average dirt bike isn't enough for the street?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Paging HNasty to the thread - what were the maintenance intervals on your SM610? Any issues/pains in the rear end?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

AkrisD posted:

I love the 07-08(?) 690SM because they look a little different. Then they went and made it look like a regular old dirtbike with the newer ones.

the new ones look just like the 08 SMCs did (different model) and have the same features but they jacked the price up by 20%

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sold my FJR, 690 SMC should be getting here this Friday. I don't know what I'm going to do with a bike that doesn't weigh 600 lbs - take it off some sweet jumps, I hope. My wife is bitching that she "can't ride on the back of that thing" already. :chord:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
690 SMC was delivered yesterday. I haven't even been able to even ride it around the block because the bike got here before the title, etc. (had the bike shipped).

Coming from the FJR, I can already tell it's going to be a big change in riding style just from riding it up the driveway/around the yard a bit. If I take this thing on any rides longer than an hour or two it's going to need some more foam/a new seat, the stocker is like riding a lightly upholstered 2x4. My bony rear end isn't up for that.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Zool posted:

:can:
Here's what I know from SMC ownership, it probably still applies. Put on stock exhaust, make sure engine mapping is not on poor fuel mode, wire mod. Turn throttle all the way.

I thought SMCs were supposed to be insane wheelie monsters too, but I haven't found mine to be. It had an FMF pipe, Uni filter and the Acro map in it when I bought it. Maybe I need to pick up a tuneboy and buy some dyno time (or just learn how to ride the loving thing). Power wheelies in 1st are pretty easy, but it doesn't quite come up on throttle alone in 2nd or 3rd and I have no real idea how to clutch it up - I just end up surging forward a bit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Zool posted:

My 690SMC came with a Leo Vince, and akramap installed, it was much much louder, and much much slower, than my roommates bone stock 690SMC. I doubt a tuneboy and dyno tune will be able to get you to the same torque output at 5000rpm (aka wheelie speed) as the stock bike.

If your SMC can't do this, http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiffness1#p/u/10/GrXgRtw_jR0 it's not right.

I'll see if I can get any deals on a stock exhaust that someone else has replaced with a slip-on on SMJ or eBay somewhere. I didn't get the stocker with the bike and I'm not dropping the better part of $700 to get one from the factory. In the meantime, I'll see about different inserts for the FMF.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Christoff posted:

I also hate how expensive the 08+ 690 sm is. I mean really? 7-8k for a used sumo? You can find the 07 690 for 5k and down but they weren't exactly a hit. But I think in about a year I'll be getting a 08 690 smc. Unless there's something better.

I bought my 08 SMC for $5995 from a dealer in PA with 734 miles on it. I spent a few weeks trolling various craigslist search engines and eBay motors before buying and saw a few going for around that price. All of those bikes were on the east coast or in the midwest, though, and none of them were over 7500 miles which you'd need if you live in CA and wanted to ship one in.

I wouldn't expect to see prices for 690 SMCs fall much - KTM has sold the bike largely unchanged for the past three years and just jacked the price up for the bold new color schemes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ReelBigLizard posted:

My swing-arm and front brake disc say yes. Bar end sliders aren't a terrible idea either.

cycra pro bend barkbusters have replaceable plastic sliders on the ends that work as bar end sliders, plus they keep your levers from getting bent/broken when you drop the bike. :10bux: to replace them when they get torn up

on a related note, how in the gently caress can KTM get away with charging the better part of $100 for replacement brake + clutch levers, and why can't I find any folding levers either OEM or aftermarket that fit the bike? :smith:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Just got back from my first-ever group ride. I am slower than poo poo but don't really care about that so much since lofting the front over the crest in every hill and riding like a jackass around downtown was so fun. About 10 minutes in I realized I really should've started on a DRZ, but oh well.

Also, the Aprilia 550s sound loving incredible with an Akro can. That bike is tits.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You 690 SMC guys have any tips for tweaking the front end to make it a bit more plush over rough pavement/broken ground? Right now it feels like it's got too much preload dialed in and isn't doing much to absorb bumps. I dialed the rebound and compression back to stock and tried working from there, but still can't get it set so that my throttle hand isn't jumping around without putting the majority of my weight way forward (and this is going in a straight line, not around corners).

Consensus on SMJ is that the springs are too long from the factory and you can remove the preload spacers but it doesn't help that much; better off ordering shorter springs. Traded a few emails w/ David @ fastbike industries and he immediately went to revalving the compression stack. Just wondering how y'all have yours set before I start shipping my suspension around for work over the winter.

Static sag at the forks is 45mm, rider sag is 50mm. Rear numbers are 25mm static 95mm rider. To me that says "increase rear preload, maybe even respring the rear, and decrease front preload" but I don't really know what your sag should look like on a sumo. I weigh ~195 in full gear.

VV yeah, I figured I'd have to bump up the rear preload but haven't been looking forward to it. getting to the shock collar on these bikes is a bitch VV

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 23, 2010

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The local guy who has one (with the Akro can that makes beautiful noises) hasn't complained much about the maintenance on his. I'll ask him about it next time I see him. He has already split the cases on it twice in the two months he's had it (bought used) - once to replace clutch fibers, again after he went ditch surfing and broke the trans (bent shift fork, broke some teeth on 2nd gear)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

You know you're on a hand grenade when you're buying a KTM because its way more reliable.

Österreich über alles!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I just bought a pair of Gaerne SG-10s for light offroading because I am paranoid as poo poo about rolling/breaking my ankles after spraining them a few times. There is precious little chance I would ever wear these things for general street riding - heavy as hell and WAY stiff. The Gaerne Supermoto boot is based on SG-10s, it just has that Vibram sole henne mentioned.

Seems like boot choice boils down to what you're used to and what you're comfortable with. I see a mix of Tech 3s/7s on dirt guys and Sidi road race boots on former street guys a lot. Haven't found anything that hits the perfect mix of durable replaceable sole for jumps/sticking a foot out, protective but still light + flexible enough to wear every day commuting. I'm leaning towards moderate road race boots with toe/heel sliders for putting a foot out. If you're really worried about tearing up the sole you could probably screw a piece of heavy-gauge plastic to it along the edge of your foot, if you made sure you didn't screw all the way through.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
ReelBigLizard, do you recall approx. how far you adjusted the collar on the shock to get your preload set properly?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Z3n posted:

I'm selling or parting my DRZ. See the marketplace for details.

downsizing the stable or upsizing the sumo?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the local kart tracks charge $10 entry for unlimited laps whenever the karts aren't running. they don't have any jumps obviously, but it's still a hell of a deal

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Maybe you can get lucky and find a used 690 that someone doesn't want an arm and a leg for? Mine is sitting lonely and neglected in my garage 99% of the time and I'd love to see it go to a good home where it will be thoroughly hooned like it should be, but unless you're in the midwest that doesn't do you a lot of good

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I don't think it's very nice to tempt a person to fly and ride 690smc from the midwest to Atlanta, Jazzzzz. I'm just hardcore enough to do it, too.

I-75 for 8 hours is about the worst possible ride I can imagine on a 690, but it does have Seat Concepts foam+cover on it so at least you wouldn't be sterile by the time you got home.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm in Ohio (Cincinnati area)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
No, I don't have it listed anywhere. It's an '08 w/ less than 2500 miles (like I said, this bike should not be a garage queen). TBH I have no idea what I'd ask for it, but I don't think Coydog's $6K figure is too far off. $5500? Comes with a fair amount of goodies.

All black plastics with the enduro front fender, KTM front wave rotor, KTM axle sliders, Pro-bend hand guards, the seat concepts seat, aluminum skid plate powder coated black, grip heaters, CRG mirrors, Shorai lithium battery and charger. I have a new x-ring chain I haven't gotten around to putting on it, new -1/+1 front/rear sprockets, filters, Motorex oil, an FMF can that I swapped back for stock, and all of the OEM parts I replaced that would go with it, which includes a set of plastics. Probably ought to put new tires on it before you go tearing too much rear end, they're the stock Pirellis that are 8 years old now.

VV I wanted an SMT so goddamned bad, but now the SuperDuke GT has stolen my heart VV

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 13, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The instrument clusters that had that white dust rattling around in them were recalled/replaced by KTM under warranty, at least on the SMC - I had no problem getting mine taken care of. Sent in the faulty cluster with the current mileage, parked the bike for a week, got the new non-coked out cluster back with the correct mileage on the odometer. Fuel warning light on mine works fine too, which is good because the tank holds what, 3 gallons? It does take a mile or so for it to go off after filling up.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
head gasket

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Depends on how much slabbing you have to do - I hate slab on my 690 even though it will do 75+ all day long just because of the wind blast. If you can get some interesting roads and break it up over a few days it'd probably be a riot

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it's too bad these are apparently gutless and don't respond much to mods short of a big bore kit because they look pretty dope when they're tricked out

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
HNNNNGGGGGG

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/trade-or-sell-my-super-rare-smoking-fast-husky-smr-630-eddy-seel.1178826/

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
c'mon guys there's a spare piston right there in the pics, that's like the next best thing to having a factory warranty

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yerok posted:

I don't know if you already have your brake lines picked out but I have had really good experiences with HEL, and after a couple custom orders they started rounding my prices down.

I really like HEL lines too, have them on my FZ1. Excellent fitment, well put together, easy install

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

how are the service intervals? Tarding a CR450* for the street supposedly translates to "I hope you like replacing your top end frequently"

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skreemer posted:

Unfortunately the only way to check is to see if it has a different carb altogether, or open it up and look at the jets. It's a single and shouldn't be too hard.

pull the spark plug and see if it's running rich/lean? I know that doesn't tell you if it's been rejetted, but might tell you if it should be or if whoever rejetted did a decent job, assuming the bike feels like it runs fine and doesn't have any obvious flat spots on throttle

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I haven't tried second gear power wheelies on my 690 since the test ride (sorry Jazzzzz), but this afternoon I decided to see if I had enough back pressure on the Wings to make it happen.

YEP. I was even sitting forward and the front came right up no problems at all. :dogbutton: I love this biek.

EDIT: I just remembered it's not even in sport mode, but the tamed standard mode. :aaa:

look up the "three wire mod" for the 690 - removes the power restrictions in 1st-3rd. You pull two wires from a harness somewhere on the left side of the bike. I never did it and never found any dangling wires anywhere, so...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

High Protein posted:

it finally arrived at the dealer, only a couple more days before I get to pick it up...

I like it.

Is that a Hyosung on the lift behind your 701? Did you buy it at some sort of mega-dealer? The very few Husky shops in my area basically only sell dirt bikes and quads, and usually carry Husky and either KTM or Polaris

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

Looks like it's a Suzuki GSR.

duh, not sure how I missed the giant silver S.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I like those, a lot. I saw a pic of a YZ450F that someone had put yellow Cycra Powerflow plastics on with the black and white retro Yamaha graphics and wondered what they'd look like in red on white plastics. Sharp.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I know better (I'd prefer to actually ride vs. loving with cooked starters and the other typical RXV/SXV bullshit), but for $3600 this is pretty goddamned tempting:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6154612685.html

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
haven't heard anything about new head gaskets - the 07s had issues with bad sealant if that's what you're talking about, but that particular issue was fixed 08 and up (look for a motor with black sealant, not orange). They have other problems though, namely starters going bad/getting cooked, and it looks like this dude's already run into the issue at least once since the ad lists a new starter and sprag assembly.

The starters are so bad that Aprilia won't warranty the part - even if you order a brand new one and it shows up DOA, you can't return it for a refund. People have taken to buying WR450 starters and swapping the Aprilia end caps onto them

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
DRZ will be poo poo on the freeway compared to the FZ07 but more fun pretty much everywhere else. If you're on surface streets 90% of the time, go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Every time I see a WR250x go up on Craiglist for less than $5K it's gone in two days - mileage, year, or condition don't seem to matter.

I chatted with the Yamaha rep at demo days today and asked him what it would take to get Yamaha to bring the 660 sumo stateside or start selling a WR450x, and his answer was "thousands more buyers". He asked why I didn't just buy a new WR450F and sumo it myself, which is a good question, but I'd be looking at something like $11 or 12 large to do it ($8500 + tax for the bike, plus new wheels and tires, etc.), and no warranty. Getting close to KTM territory there.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2017

• Locked thread