Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

GriszledMelkaba posted:

gently caress my gay life I want to trade my R6 in for a DRZ-SM. I can't ride the thing anywhere to its capacity in Washington whereas when I borrow Spiffness' DRZ everything is super fun and I don't have to constantly hold myself back. gently caress Supersports in non-Los Angeles urban environments.

Yea gently caress your gay life until the cops bust your rear end for cutting through parking lots at 30 mph. While entirely useful, I rode my DRZ like a total dumbass and got busted a few times. The bike is so easy to ride crazy, and downtown it is just unfair how fast you can get around town.

I ride my sportbike much more reserved than when I had a DRZ. Just keep that in mind, you WILL ride it like a dumbass no matter how much you tell yourself you won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Same here. I didnt regret leaving my GSXR for the DRZ at all.

Not hating, but I regretted the change after awhile. The DRZ is a BIG step down in power. Unless you re-gear it, it sucks on the freeway. It only has a 2.4 gallon gas tank. The seat blows unless you are wearing padded leathers.

That being said, it's the cheapest fun you will have on two wheels. Easily far and away the most elicit fun I have had on a motorcycle. I will own another supermoto but the next one will have some power, the DRZ was to ultimately to underpowered for my taste and I didn't feel like dumping a bunch of money into it to make it fast.

These are my opinions after owning and riding one for 10k miles. Great bikes, bullet-proof, I just wish they had more power.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I sat on a DRZ yesterday and I will agree that the suspension has a LOT of travel

It'll roll straight over curbs at 30 mph, I didn't touch the settings on mine.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
My circumstances have changed and I've decided I am getting rid of my GSXR and going back to a supermoto.

I've had a boner for the WR250X ever since it came out. I'm 6'2" and about 175 lbs, and I've owned a DRZ400SM before with a 3x3 mod and a pipe. What can I expect out of a stock WR250X for the people who have owned one or ridden both? It would be used mostly for commuting year round in the NW, and the occasional short-track trackday. I've been mobbing around on a vino 125 scooter lately and have been having more fun on it than my GSXR lately so I'm kind of turned on by the idea of having a small displacement bike.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Is the maintenance schedule on the WR similar to the DRZ?

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 20, 2010

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Well god loving drat it then. I WANT fuel injection. I loving want it. I don't want to have to gently caress with a carb.

Guess I'll have to save some cash up and just sit on craigslist watching for a DRZ with a flatside already installed.

I guess I should explain my situation: I live in downtown Portland, in a building with a shared parking garage that doesn't allow vehicle maintenance. That said, they let me bring my GSXR up into my apartment to replace my ignition cylinder so my plan was to get a WR250X since they are small as hell and just push it into the maintenance elevator and up to my apartment each night. I would also be doing maintenance in my apartment. Ahhh, the joys of not being married anymore.

EDIT: Also, I am not interested in doing a bunch aftermarket stuff to it. I'd prefer just to slap a pipe and set of bars on one and call it a day.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 20, 2010

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Psst... I'm selling a DRZ in Seattle that fits this bill. :tipshat:

Where's the ad for it?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
If my bike sells this weekend I might have to drive up and take a look at it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I'm going to wait until deep into the winter to save money/see what kind of deals I can find, but I sold the GSXR to pay off some debt. Once I've got my living situation locked down and some cash saved up I'm coming back to sumos. I miss it so bad :(

A supermoto really is the most fun you can have on two wheels. I can't wait to try something out other than a DRZ.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Shouldn't hurt a think putting that stuff on now, get it mapped whenever

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Pretty much since the day I sold my DRZ, I've been wanting another supermoto. My main concerns are reliability and cost of operation over power as the bike will mainly be a commuter. This bike seems to be somewhere in the middle of that considering the mileage.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/3448196384.html

I'm sold on the WR250X, I've been wanting one forever and have already rode a couple and understand that they are low on power. This one has a lot of mods, and 16k miles, which the internet says isn't a lot for these motors. I know I can talk him down on the price. What do you guys think? I'm tempted for the fact I wouldn't have to put any money in mods into it, yet I might find myself replacing an engine in the near future if it's been beat on.

The same guy was selling this bike last year around this time with 11k miles on it. I almost bought it then but hesitated and it was pulled from craigslist, it looks like he kept it and rode it all summer.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Great, thanks for the advice. I'm moving forward on it, if I end up with it I'll let you guys know. I can't wait to be back on a supermoto.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I ended up buying that WR250X. The bike is in great condition for its age and mileage. The owner is a motocross racer and it was his commuting vehicle. I got it for $3500 with all of the original parts.

He geared it really short, it's 1-down in the front and 2-up in the rear. It's singing when you are on the freeway, but drat, it is pretty drat quick on acceleration.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Someone buy this: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/3474302306.html

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
God drat, ORP looks so much better than when I was there a few years ago.

I am going to have to make a trip back out there this summer.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I bought this thing a few weeks ago but didn't get to pull it out and ride it until today because of the weather. I put on the Acerbis handguards today as well. I'm having to re-learn how to ride this thing. It's hilariously fun.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

Do you want this:

It's like 600 pages, factory service manual. If you do, PM me your address, or email it to me at aylesworth @ google's mail service. Free of charge, free shipping before I leave my current job :woop:

Holy balls, want. PM sent. Thank you so much! That is so loving rad. I'm going to dedicate my next 10 wheelies to you.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
my loud pipe saves my life every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhKEoZoH2W4

I might buy the silencer for the exhaust, it's kind of obnoxious in quiet neighborhoods.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

As someone who had a DRZ and was so-so on the power, how disappointing is the WR250x?

I've previously owned a DRZ for ~12,000 miles (3x3 mod, jetting and yosh slip-on) and just bought a used WR250X. I don't have a problem with the power of the WR at all but mine is also well modified. (FMF full exhaust, tuned power commander, airbox mod/k&n filter and -1/+2 sprockets) The power delivery on this bike is different than the DRZ. The power on the DRZ is all in the low-to-mid RPM range where on the WR it's all in the middle and top end. It's fun to ring the WR's neck where as there was no joy in doing that on the DRZ. I constantly bounce it off the rev limiter on the WR. I love the 6-speed. As other people have said, it feels more refined than the DRZ, which felt and looked old to me. Both bikes handle great, both have good brakes.

I test rode a stock WR250X and I remember it being slow. That was a few years ago. With some mods the WR is an awesome bike. It feels lightweight between your legs where as I always felt the weight of the DRZ, even though that never seemed to stop me riding like an idiot on it. If it matters, I am 6'2", 170lbs.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Congrats! That's a sweet ride!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I want a drat WR250X now.

I really couldn't be happier with mine. loving DO IT

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Having owned both a DRZ400SM and a WR250X, they are both awesome. It really comes down to your size and what you prefer. I somewhat prefer the low-end power delivery of the DRZ but once you get used to constantly boucing the WR off of the rev limiter, it's pretty fun. As for controls and handling, they are both awesome again. Their absolute limit is way further than I have or will take them too on the street, they both jump easy, both have great suspensions and brakes.

I own currently and prefer the WR250X because I personally prefer the overall package. I am willing to deal with the high-revving nature of the engine because it has fuel injection, a 6-speed, it looks better, and personally just feels better, to me, than the DRZ. Again, they are both great, amazing bikes. It's impossible to sell the DRZ short having owned one and rode it the way I rode it. I love them both.

I can't wait to ride my first KTM supermoto. :v:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

That being said I've had way more people admire the DRZ than my R6

I also like the attention it gets, it's usually other motorcycle geeks or guys who ride dirtbikes. I like that it gets no attention from the "i got a literbike bruh" crowd. People who ride or appreciate supermotos, so far, have been really nice.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I noticed something odd yesterday on my WR250X and need some advice. I went out on a late night ride a couple of weeks ago and noticed on cold starts the header on my bike glows orange. I guess I only just noticed it because I never usually cold start it in a dark area. Is this normal? On cold starts the header will glow orange after about 30-45 seconds and stay orange until I take off. After I take it out riding and park and let it idle (engine already up to temp) the header does not glow any longer, even idling for 3-5 minutes.

The bike has a K&N filter with an airbox mod, a FMF powerbomb header and pipe and a power commander. Other than the glowing header, the bike runs absolutely perfectly. I have never messed with the power commander, it was setup by the previous owner who talked on and on about how long it took him to find the right map to set the bike up with so I never hosed with it. He was a motocross racer who seemed like he knew what he was talking about so I never bothered looking into it. Besides, the bike is drat quick for a 250cc.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
took some photos of my sex machine last night

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
WR250X owner here, I love it. I bought mine with mods from the PO and it seems plenty fast. The power comes on a bit higher up the revs than the DRZ I owned before but it feels every bit as fast. I can hit 97 MPH indicated on the speedo, drag limited. I loved my DRZ too, it was a great bike, but I like the WR a bit more. It feels lighter and a bit more nimble. It looks better than the DRZ imo.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

How do you like the windscreen? Have you compared it with/without? It's something I've kind of been considering for mine. The wind hasn't really bothered me much, but this is the only motorcycle experience I know. If having the windscreen does actually considerably help I might like to try one.

The windscreen was on there when I got it so I can't anything other than I like it and plan on keeping it on the bike. It kicks the air into the bottom of my helmet if I'm sitting perfectly upright which is kind of a pain, but being able to tuck under it on the freeway is a nice option. The PO modified a small windscreen from a Harley and made a custom mount with some large screws that are bolted directly to the plastic that covers the speedo.

hot sauce posted:

That thing is beautiful man. Awesome paint job :dominic:

Thanks! It's the factory blue plastics but the PO stripped off the factory stickers and had the big black Yamaha tuning fork logo made with black vinyl and painted the white plastics black, so I can't take any credit. The only thing I added was the handguards.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I miss my bike :(

Thanks again for the service manual! I really appreciate it. :)

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of selling my WR250X for this 2008 KTM 690 SMC: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5739578677.html

What do you guys think? I've sent a couple emails back and forth already.

The only issue he has had with it was: "I did have some stalling issues which was a pain initially. Bike would flame out in heavy stop and go traffic otherwise was fine. Ended up adding evo1 air box lid plus K&N with 15 min reset and yielded a night and day difference. Better bottom and mid with awesome intake sound. Bike idles as it should now. Cam chain tensioner is a little noisy will change oem hydraulic tensioner out with aftermarket replacement next. Haven't had a rocker issue yet...will most likely inspect and do valve adjustment this winter if the bike doesn't sell. Only use motorex 10w-60."

I've done some light reading online about the bikes possible issues and it's all over the place. Some say these bikes are rock solid, others say they are maintenance queens. Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also if SaNChEzZ sees this, thanks again for that shop manual on the WR250X, I used it to trace down an electrical issue I had with the taillight a few weeks back. Much appreciated.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 29, 2016

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I appreciate the comments. I'm still going to go look at it later this week but I'll keep what you guys say in mind.

Maybe I should just go all-in on the Husky 701? The bike looks like an absolute blast from all of the reviews I've read. It's just so drat expensive...

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
My WR is up for sale. Am I asking to much? These bikes seem to be rare in my area, so I think I can get $3000 out of it.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5796117129.html

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yeah, that seems way under priced to me. If you were within 300 miles I'd be driving there tomorrow. Also, I think valves are due at 24k so unless you're hearing done chatter I'd take that out of the ad.

It ticks a bit loudly on start-up, and has a light tick while warm that has never been an issue, this engine has always made a lot of noise. Only reason I bring that up is the place I am trying to buy a bike now, when I offered the bike as a trade in, said the top-end was noisy and might need a valve adjustment. It might. I don't honestly know because I haven't checked the valves. The previous owner *said* he checked them at 15k and they were fine.

Only reason I want out for so cheap is there is a local 2015 Hypermotard SP that I want badly and if I can get $3000 out of this bike, with some extra savings I have, I can buy the hyper all cash. I love my WR, but having test rode the hyper.... I'm trading my loving Japanese girlfriend for an Italian super model.

I would honestly keep both if I could but only have room (physically) for one motorcycle.

EDIT: As for riding long distances on this bike: It's terrible. I've done a few 3-4 hour rides with friends and your taint gets so wrecked by the end of the ride that it takes 30 minutes for sensation to come back to the area. That said, if you want to fly up here and pick up the bike, I will put you up for the night or three and do whatever I can to help you on your way.

EDIT2: I took the valve adjustment thing out of the ad. It's a bit ticky, I wanted to weed out potential tire-kickers in case they came to see it and thought the engine made to much noise.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 24, 2016

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Quoting myself from the "invest in bikes" thread:

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

The bike just sold. I bought the bike from a motocross racer, then just sold the bike to a motocross racer. I'm glad went to a good home and a good dude.

.........And now I have the money for the 2015 Ducati Hypermotard SP I've been saving for. Good lord, I can not wait.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I really wasn't a fan of the Hyper - test ride before you buy if you haven't already.

Also njoy ur stalls when cute boys are looking at you.

I test rode it twice, once in lovely PDX traffic right at 5pm, and again yesterday. I got to get up into the hills and open it up on Skyline and Germantown, two roads I know really well. It's definitely not a supermoto, it corners completely different obviously. However the seating position and ergonomics are really nice and not to far off of the WR. The added weight and difference in center of gravity is taking some getting used to, however you can still hustle the thing around corners MX-style, I just don't hang my leg out like I did before. So far I am really enjoying it. I don't dread taking the freeway now like I used to on the WR, which is nice.

I bought it today and put about 200 miles on it. I love it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

First track time on the new sumo. poo poo's lit.

:swoon: That looks like a lot of fun. Rad bike.

• Locked thread