Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Be aware that the TT gurus think the recommended change interval on the SM is far too long. I think they recommend something like 1500 miles for changes, less if you are raging on it.

A thing to remember with lots of aftermarket tanks is they really change the angle of the front of the seat, and if you plan on doing lots of aggressive riding it may not allow you to get right onto the front of the seat. My YZ had an aftermarket seat and it really hosed the riding position. It'd be fine for slabbing or normal twisties, but I imagine for real racing you'd want a nice flat seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Does it make basically no sense at all to take a dirtbike and convert to a street legal SM? Adding wheels, tires, brakes, lines, speedo, lights, and license seems like a bitch.

Depends on where you live and what bike you're talking about. As already discussed, most dirtbikes aren't designed to be street ridden from a cooling and maintenance standpoint. I would think a DRZ400 E - the offroad model would be a good choice. It's lighter and makes a bit more power out of the box, and all the S/SM stuff bolts right up. It also depends on what state you live in if you can even plate a dirtbike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GriszledMelkaba posted:

gently caress my gay life I want to trade my R6 in for a DRZ-SM. I can't ride the thing anywhere to its capacity in Washington whereas when I borrow Spiffness' DRZ everything is super fun and I don't have to constantly hold myself back. gently caress Supersports in non-Los Angeles urban environments.

You live right next to pacific raceways. It looks like they are getting pretty close to finishing their kart track as well, so you could run supermoto there as well.

Edit:
Your best bet for supermoto on the cheap is to just run "sportsman" tires on normal offroad wheels. I don't know what is out there today, but a few years ago there were a few options for relatively decent street tires in offroad wheel sizes. I've always found it surprising how much grip you can get out of just a part of knobbies.

n8r fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 27, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pissing coolant at lights and needing to replace major engine parts relatively often is why so many people in here are very cautious about recommending "real" supermoto bikes for street riding.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

T-minus 1 day until I get a KTM 625 SXC with a dirt and supermoto wheelset. Not quite sure how this guy has the thing setup but it should be pretty awesome.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Been thinking about getting back into supermoto after looking at the current pricing for track days. I've got an '03 YZ250 that I could convert which seems like the best way to go about it. Someone want to give me some advice on a wheel/brake setup? The Motostrano budget kit seems like a pretty good deal for what you get. I have a friend that can get pretty good pricing wholesale on stuff. Would I be better off building a set of wheels myself?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

http://www.motostrano.com/sucokibabo.html

This is the kit I'm looking at specifically.

I'm located in Wenatchee so I'd be looking at the Tri Cities or Seattle + maybe where they do the flat track stuff.

I also happen to own a rather large parking lot as well :).

My bike is resprung and when you crank down the compression it does firm up a bit. I'm not against buying a dedicated sumo bike, but I didn't think my YZ would be too far off.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Is supermotojunkies the most active NW forums? I think I'm looking for a setup that is just for occasional use, I'm not concerned with maximum performance at this point.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Had you adjusted the chain? Generally speaking MX/Sumo bikes need a much looser chain than a street bike. I wonder if too much chain tension caused it to fail.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I wonder if this has something to do w/ the failure:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-625998.html

Edit:
Any shop is going to want to split the cases and it's going to be expensive to have fixed. FYI.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I wouldn't mess too much w/ the kickstand since that's probably designed that way so it doesn't come down while you're airing it out or whatever.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

To be honest only about $1k. People want a poo poo ton of money for those 2008+ SMCs

I guess no one gave him the "mods decrease value" memo

Pretty sure that doesn't apply to bikes at least to a lot of people.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

When was the last time you checked your valves? I've never found any 4T bikes that sensitive to jetting when they are dialed in properly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been thinking about getting a pair of bi-colours for the SMC, then getting some excel rims and spokes and re-lacing the stock hubs as off-road wheels. I haven't re-laced a wheel before, I understand how to true them though, is it particularly hard?

I'm also vaguely worried by the fact that the bi-colour replacements do away with the 'cush-drive'. I always understood these offered protection to the transmission, is it an issue at all?

I've laced a wheel before and it wasn't terribly difficult, but it was for an old slow bike that wasn't getting pounded on offroad. To properly lace a wheel you really need to tension each spoke carefully. I'd probably pay to have someone do it properly.

I've read about some of the older KTM race supermotos that had no cush drive. The shock you impart onto the drivetrain with sticky tires and lots of torque was enough to gently caress up the crankshafts. It was basically the only point of give in the drivetrain and that is not a cheap part to have screwing up. Probably not a great idea on a street bike that you intend to put a lot of mileage on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I've seen some decent prices on Husqy 610s lately.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I love me some aprilia, but the SXV bikes are not reliable at all.

Edit: also be very careful when you look at the '07s because they had an engine recall. Honestly I would look for a 550 with a decent amount of miles so the bugs have been worked out.

n8r fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 15, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Try cleaning your seals first yo.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Clutch it up you wusses.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I would take that as a sign to either look at your jetting or stop trying to tour on a race engined bike. Probably both.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Kastivich posted:

I need some advice from sumo experts. I currently have a DRZ400S that doesn't get ridden enough. I was considering getting some street rims/tires to make it a bit more street friendly. I have an offer of $900 for a set of Excel rims/hubs, tires, EBC front rotor, and rear sprocket. I would still need to pick up a rear rotor and maybe a Vapor tach/speedo to deal with the lack of speedo gear with the aftermarket rims. With everything I would be in about $1200. Does this seem like a decent price and am I missing anything needed for an S to SM conversion?

Just get some street friendly tires for your current dirt wheels. If you find you're liking it really well but want more grip you could go to the sumo setup. To be honest though a decent set of street tires on the dirt rims should probably be enough for street riding.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spiff:
How much did you sell it to z3n for and how much scrillah is he trying to make off it?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Z3n's CA business plan:
1. Account for 40-50% of all posts in the forum
2. ...
3. Profit

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

epix posted:

Lil updates for my Supermoto DR650 project

Got some new rubbers..

Michelin Pilot Road 2's for the supermoto wheels:

Shinko 244 for the stock wheels so I can still dual sport.

And something to help slow it all down, an EBC 320mm kit for stock wheels (Already have same kit on the Sun Supermotos, so will make the wheel swap a very quick change over)

Currently the Sun Supermoto wheels I have are mounted with Kenda 270 knobbies (Got them this way from the previous owner)

Decided to upgrade the suspension a bit too.

Cogent Rear shock with Eibach Spring

Ricor Fork Valves - Intimidators

Stiffer fork springs

Also picked up a FMF Powerbomb Header, previous owner installed the stock heat shield on it, thinking I may take this off and use some fiberglass exhaust wrap

That's some grade A turd polishing you've got going on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Dont start with clutched wheelies, just do power wheelies to begin with.

This is the opposite of what you should do.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

re: wheelies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_Z96lxyUo

He talks a bit about why you should clutch up. At any rate it's much easier to control a clutched wheelie.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've been drooling over a DRZ since the creation of this thread and watching CL all over the state religiously. I was always told (by family) all dual sports suck, either buy a streetbike or a dirtbike. After reading about the DRZ in this thread and then hearing it all again on TT/Adv I wanted one badly, screw the haters.

Your family is right about dual sports not making good "real" dirtbikes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I now own an MZ Baghira Black Panther.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I don't think anyone in this thread can actually back a bike in. Requesting video evidence of anyone in here actually doing it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Adding the last few posts to shitty_excuses.txt

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

This thread seems to be a cesspool of people claiming to 'hoon' and 'back it in' yet I see nothing other than text in here. I make no claims about my riding ability - feel free to check my post history.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It's all about being far more capable at breaking the social contract/laws dictating what you can do on the road
Go back to D&D with your social contract bullshit plz.

nsaP posted:

There's a time and a place for hooning and apparently it's on residential city streets with traffic.

Well that was 3 minutes of my life I wish I could have back. All I saw was a bunch of non-balance point wheelies and some lovely stoppies followed by almost flicking himself off the highside or something near the end.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Z3n posted:

Ahh, I see why you were complaining about the lack of hooning. You can't recognize balance point wheelies and you can't recognize backing it in.

DRZ doesn't go fast enough to do good stoppies though, you got me there.

Bonus not balance point wheelies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7syR-joOU

You really do live in your own little dream world. I sometimes regret not reading 98% of your posts because it's like being taken into another universe where you're king badass of riding.

You were accelerating/shifting through all those wheelies, you're not balancing or maintaining a constant speed. You were probably near the balance point or briefly on it but whatever. Shifting through a gear and accelerating is a much safer way to sorta wheelie.

Your 'backing it in' appeared to involve about .5 seconds of wagging around the rear end so congrats? If that's what your definition of backing it in is then go with it.

Your excuse of the DRZ not being fast enough to stoppie is hilarious.

I now await your 5 paragraph filibuster style reply that I will not read...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

JP Money posted:

Ok, now that we are not discussing only backing it in I am hereby requesting that you provide video of your balance point wheelies.

Don't have a dirtbike anymore and I don't like to wheelie things I can't afford to hop off of. I don't claim to be particularly good at them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slide your rear end off the left side of the seat and put your left foot down. You can still use the rear brake for taking off on hills and such. Scooped seats suck for offroad riding if you happen to do any.

re: tire chat I think distanzias are good all around sumo tires - a set are currently on my MZ. My thoughts on offroad stuff with sumo tires are the main problem with the tire is you are dealing with tires that are too wide and smaller than standard 21/19 dirt setups. Once you get into rocky / rooty conditions the 17" wheel will bounce around a lot more due to the shape of the contact patch. The rear will also suck if you get into conditions where you actually need some traction. A knobby rear would probably hook up pretty well in lots of situations.

If you just want to cruise around on rough jeep roads and mild singletrack it'll be just fine. If you want to try to ride relatively technical stuff you're going to really hate life compared to the exact same bike equipped with a 21/19 setup.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Aargh posted:

Gah, haven't ridden my SM in too long. Went to go for a ride the other day and it wouldn't start, reading on SMJ suggests this is probably a gummed up fuel pump and i should just hit it till it starts. Might just fix it up, get it serviced and sell it off, just haven't had the time to ride it in the last 6 months.

This excuse is as lame as the excuses people used for not being able to back it in.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Anyone have a stock DRZ pipe / midpipe they want to sell for cheap?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have those on my MZ - they're pretty good tires given how well they also perform on the street. The troubles you will run into come primarily from the 17" wide tire. Your frontend is pretty much going to always suck and have very little traction.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

Yep, went looking and found that if you want street tyres your choices are 17" or 17". Also, I may be able to get away with changing the wheels without getting it certified, so I'm gonna trawl ebay for a set of wheels.

That's not true and you're looking at $1000 to get a set of 17s probably. There are all sorts of street oriented tires in your sizes that would be just fine for street stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I have the avon distanzias and they're quite good on the road and provide at least some amount of performance beyond a PP offroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

axia posted:

You didn't pick up any hypodermic needles in there did you?? :ohdear:

Also, what causes rapid chain stretching? I have a chain with less than 1,000 miles on it, its a DID O-Ring, and I have to turn my snails after every ride. I'm guessing its because I didn't change the sprockets when I changed the chain, and if that is the case, will replacing just the sprockets solve this? I didn't change the sprockets at the time because they looked (and still do look) like they're new still. :shrug:

Are you running it too tight? Chains for dirtbikes need to be quite a bit looser than those for street bikes due to suspension travel.

• Locked thread