Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys have me pretty convinced I want a DRZ, just sayin'

Whenever I'm driving around at night and I go over potholes and random dips in LA's lovely roads I just think about how awful that might be on anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Well, had the chance to explore a bit. The road's really interesting, especially this part, which allows for some small jumps and wheelies off of crests:

Goddamnit, ok fine. I'm getting a drz for sure now. That just looks like fun.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valfar posted:

Am I getting old? I turned 30 not long ago, may this have something to do with this?

Buffer money is nice, being debt free is also nice. Personally I'm going to be selling my bike and using the money to pay off a majority of my high interest debt, also selling my car and I'll pay off some more. (commute via bicycle anyways)

Hopefully in about 6 months I'll be able to buy a really nice DRZ, but it's going to be lovely not having a bike for that long.

I'll probably be borrowing my Dad's KLR for some trips in the meantime.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to buy a bike from a dealer because I want to finance it.. Anything in the range of the drz400sm is fine. Should I just get a drz400sm? (I want a drz400sm)

I think this might be a dumb question.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah.. I think I'll get that drz. :v:

Hopefully I can get a fair deal from some dealership. The dealers in los angeles seem pretty poo poo but we'll see. The ones in marina del ray might be ok.

Anyone know any good suzuki dealers? I could drive a ways.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Also spiff speaks the truth about buying a new drz. Why do you want to finance it?

Just a cashflow thing mainly. I have never secured a loan before hand, although my credit is pretty good.

I've been waiting to sell my car for a few months as my wife was using it for school but finals are coming up so I have a good window to sell it, replace it, and get myself a bike... So that we can both have transport and I don't have to use horrible public transit to get to work. (she leaves school late, so public transit wouldn't be safe for her due to the walking through high crime areas)

Anyways, Z3N if your thing works I'd buy it. I just need to figure out the financing.

I don't know how to replace an HG but it cant be that bad?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

If you're really interested, hit me up on AIM or email me at conand at gmail and we can talk about it.

I'll contact you on AIM.

I really, really hate dealing with craigslist and I'm not in a rush so we can probably work something out.

Besides, I'd rather take advantage of your honesty.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do they have replacement shields for those? Like, a polarized one?

I guess you could probably wear sunglasses under that... But they'd probably fog up.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

I don't think so. Personally I like keeping an eye on the country wide motorcycle market because sometimes it's nice to know what bikes are selling for elsewhere. I've definitely bought bikes from out of state when the price was right.

Yeah I'd like this too.. Maybe an OP that has the avg price based on some samples that could be updated regular.y.. So we could watch price trends drop and then buy bikes at the bottom.

I'd probably drive 500 miles for a good deal on a DRZ. Once I get some money, that is. :smith:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God damnit, all this loving talk of wheelies is making me rabid. I'm gonna have to borrow my dads KLR650 this weekend and go burnout at the hollywood sign or something.

I have been bikeless for pushing 6 months and its terrible. I wish I could've just saved up and bought a DRZ originally, instead of the ex250 which everyone told me I'd be bored of in 6 months which I was almost to the day.

Could've had a bike by now but I used my cash to start a small business :downs:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ohwandernearer posted:

I don't think that will burn out unless you douse it in gasoline and light it on fire.

Somehow I imagine dousing a KLR isn't really needed for it to catch fire.

e- yeah, that was easy to find. http://vimeo.com/18941679

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's goddamn horrible, and bad luck. If it was a dealership or anything else you could go after them on the basis of the general warranty laws or whatever but it'd be tough to get a judgment against a private party on a modified sport bike I'd guess. Even then, its kind of a dick thing to do.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally have the scratch to get a DRZ, now to find a decent one in socal. A quick look on craigslist looks like they are all posting at 4k+ nowadays, I really don't want to pay more than 3500.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phat_Albert posted:

Join the club. They can be had for 3.5K but everyone wants more, and you might have to haggle to get them down.

Yeah haggling is no problem, I got a great price on my ex250 and sold it for more than I paid... Gotta be patient though.

There is this one: http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2376116268.html

Semi high milage, and I don't trust someone who posts using capslock... gonna email the dude and see whats what though.

e- If anyone sees a deal within like 500~ miles of Los Angeles let me know. I'd road trip for a good deal.

soy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 15, 2011

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat, shipping that to california would cost like $700+ based on the quick quotes I got. :smith:

I would totally fly out and ride back for the fun of it if I actually had free time.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcd/2430455852.html

I know the guys at that dealership, might be able to get it for cheaper. I can swing by and ask them if you'd like.

e- drat, no dice on this.. They want like like 4500 out the door.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2438275403.html

how is this a drz400sm?? liars!

soy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 15, 2011

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there sites I should be checking for deals on a drz other than craigslist? I've contacted just about everyone in a 500 mile radius going out as far as Arizona... Nobody seems willing to negotiate much at all yet. I don't care though, I'll wait.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2448760031.html

going to look at this baby early tomorrow morning, with cash in hand, hopefully I can haggle it a little.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I thought the general rule of thumb with DRZ-SM's was that you don't buy one that hasn't been down atleast 3... maybe 8 times?

Good bike otherwise :cheers:

dude said he semi dropped it in a parking lot whilst parking, thats good enough for me.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the bike turned out to be super clean, and I was able to haggle him down to the price I wanted. loving awesome bike! I rode like 50~ miles home on the freeway and it was not bad at all..

As if to make the day complete though, the universe decided to humble my rear end pretty solidly.

Shortly after getting off the 5 fwy I had kinda got in formation with some guy riding a really sweet looking white Ducati sport bike, coming around a pretty sharp corner that immediately goes downhill the guy went into a low side crash about 2 car lengths ahead of me.

Thankfully I wasn't riding like a dong at that moment and was able to come to a full stop safely on a steep decline, the rear wheel started going sideways a bit due to the abrupt stop but it was easily manageable due to the geometry of the bike.

Made a traffic break for the guy and helped him get his ride off the road. Guy was pretty scuffed up but he had semi decent gear so he fared alright.

Heres to safer times ahead. Driving in LA is a loving nightmare but I feel pretty confident that the bike will do fine as long as I take it easy.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just one slight porblem with the new DRZ. It's missing the wheel lock key (it's seperate from the ignition key).

How or who can I go to in order to have a new key made. What can I expect to pay?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiffness posted:

In my year and a half of DRZ ownership I never used it once. Don't worry about it.
It's not going to save your bike if someone wants to steal it.

I park downtown LA, I'd prefer to have it. I want to do as much as possible to discourage theft. At least this way they can't just roll it outta the parking garage.

For now I'm just gonna throw my small bicycle u-lock on a wheel or something. Might as well make them at least bring an angle grinder to get my poo poo.

I do have comprehensive insurance though worst case.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of mods/wrenching. I need some kinda cargo solution for the DRZ.

Also, it came with a pretty cool looking LED rear light attachment but I need to install it... and it didn't some with anything that looks like it mounts the OEM rear turn signals... Do those mount on something separately?

Also came with a MOTY design battery pre installed and the CA emissions thing removed. The battery is pretty nice, its like the size of an RC car battery.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NitroSpazzz posted:

My Dad was the same way until I made him ride the DRZ. He came back into the driveway in a wheelie and said I was right.

I don't get what people are saying all this poo poo about the DRZ on the highway. I rode close to 50 miles just after buying the thing at 75-80mph... and I was one below top gear. It wasn't bad at all.

Maybe it's because I'm 6'5" and 240lbs, could be stabilizing the bike a bit. The guy who owned before me complained about highways but he was a pretty small person.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey z3n where did you get/what is the name of your hard luggage thing?

Also it seems like you can re-mount the rear blinkers on different parts of the frame... I'm probably going to do move them this weekend and install the LED rear light. I think I need some extra mounting hardware though, so maybe not. I need to do it sooner than later though as it looks like the rear OEM license/light assembly is pretty hosed up.

I think the engine is pretty much fine as it is, stock. Not like I'll have any cash to mess with it for some time anyways. All these pipes/headers/etc sound expensive, and I'm mechanically retarded, so I think I'll stick to just changing the oil for now.

I noticed on the front LED headlight/HID thing the description says that poo poo is not DOT approved. Is that a wink wink nod nod sort of thing?

soy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 22, 2011

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Replacement-Plastic-Kit-2041080001/dp/B0018EOKA8/ref=sr_1_97?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1308933770&sr=1-97

You can replace your entire set of plastics on this bike for like $100? Hahaha.. and they just bolt on... I'm going to get a set just because mine are slightly scuffed up.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

robotsinmyhead posted:

It's 3 hours drive, so I highly doubt it.

why buy a bike you are not stoked about riding 3 hours solid on???

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the foamy wrapper thing on the handlebars for? Mine came with one and I think its a bit gay, I took it off.

Is it worth it to upgrade your bars? I am very shallow and am highly concerned with the looks of my ride.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish owning a bike in real life was more like gran turismo where you get a nice upgrade screen that neatly lays out all your options with price tags and then you just press a buttan and the man upgrades your thing.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Question about all that: seriously just how bad is it to commute a short distance to work on a bike? IE: I know a few people who ride GSXR's literally less than one mile to / from work.

I commute 4 miles on surface streets to work. It almost seems pointless, as I can easily ride a bicycle the same distance in about 30 minutes versus driving/riding motorcycle there in about 15-20 minutes...

But it's not pointless, because I'm riding a loving sumo and I look totally rad also all the chicks dig it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Replacement seats for the DRZ seem to run in the $2-300 range. I've seen a few options... They look pretty comfortable. I personally don't find it to be that bad when riding in the 5-50 mile range but ymmv.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I switched out my half falling off oem tail light for LED edge rear and LED blinkers. Looks great...

Only thing is, since I don't have an LED flasher unit it makes my lights blink really fast.

I actually prefer this as it seems like it'd get peoples attention better. Is this going to break stuff?

I guess when I replace the front light/blinkers I can get the correct flasher unit at that point.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I be shifting sooner than later on the DRZ? I'm not really hitting the RPM limiter but I get kinda close. Wish the thing had a loving tac. Only complaint.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Roger that.

Does it use more gas if you rev higher? I assume yes as my mileage has not been very good. I want that bigger gas tank mod. Already had to go on reserve twice.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hooligan update: I succesfully wheelied several times today... I'd been trying since I got the DRZ, thought I was just too fat. Then I read online that you gotta tug on the bars. That did the trick.

I'm gonna get in so much goddamn trouble now.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any trick to stoppies? Seems like you would have to stand up a bit to raise the center... Stand up and move forward a bit I guess while gradually but firmly pressing front brake?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JP Money posted:

Are you trying in first? If you're low in first and give it any amount of gas the front should come up. It should be balls easy to get the front entirely vertical in first. Second is a whole different story unfortunately.

Yeah I'm in first. I was trying to just accelerate quickly to get it up, but that didn't seem to work without pulling on the bars a bit. I think the pulling also allows my weight to shift back enough to get it up, once it's up a bit then rolling on the throttle brings it up more easily.

Also I'm 6'5" 240lbs on a 100% stock DRZ400sm so it makes sense that it doesn't come up that easily.

I haven't gotten it up in 2nd yet, practicing that on public street in LA is probably not wise. :3:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's easy to resist in the part of LA I live because I seem to see a cop every half mile and there is no such thing as a back route.

I do wanna try launching off some poo poo though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaNChEzZ posted:

We should hang out.

Fo sho

Empire Waffles posted:

http://vimeo.com/27139748 via https://plus.google.com/sparks/interests/supermoto

Supermoto class looks so awesome.

Yeah I'm planning on hitting up http://socalsupermoto.com/ sometime later this year when its cooled off a bit more. $200 for a class, trackday, and a sumo to use on the track. Not a bad deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After extensive testing, yes sitting in the passenger seat and quickly revving up in 1st definitely is the easiest way to get the wheel up. I like the feeling of coming up when sitting a bit more forward though, but I'm not able to get the wheel up more than a foot or so in the front no matter what I do.

Still no successful stoppies, just a lot of my balls being crushed as I try to stop really hard with front brake. I think it's mainly just that I'm a vagine and am not going fast enough.

• Locked thread