Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aargh posted:

Shouldn't have started reading this thread. Now I'm considering going and test riding a DRZ400SM for my first bike, and to think I was almost worked out on what I was going to get.
It's an excellent choice all around. I got one as a second bike and honestly wish I just gotten it in the first place. Light, handles well, cheap to own, and a huge aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MetaJew posted:

How terribly impractical are these things? I'm torn between thinking an SV650 would be a good first bike, and the DRZ. The problems I see with the DRZ is that you probably never would want to take one on the freeway, and their minuscule gas tanks lead to a very short range. Am I right in thinking this?
It'll run on the highway, although not terribly comfortably. But unless you really want to be somewhere quickly, there's not much need to be on the highway. From the factory there's no real provision for carrying a load beyond a tank bag, but you can get racks to deal with that if it's an issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually should have mentioned that I own both an SV650 and a DRZ, and I like them both, but the DRZ definitely beats the poo poo out of the SV in the city, which is where I do most of my riding.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

Not to mention the license plate.

That DRZ needs a brake system upgrade.

The very first time I took it out with the plate, I lost it. New one is gettin ziptied on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

That's a funny definition of stock.
I wish my definition of stock matched it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

abigserve posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between a normal DRZ400 and a DRZ400SM? Aside from cosmetics, tires, and suspension.
I'm going to assume you're asking about the S, not the E or kicker, since those are both off-road only (although they can be made street legal in some states).

They're geared differently (S is geared more for off-road, SM is geared for more street) and have different brakes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was surprised how not terrible it looked with the plate zip-tied on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mid-90s Impreza since it's also mildly off-roadable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not exactly related, but I'm 6'1", and I can bend my knees on the DRZ once I actually sit down. It squats quite a bit.

I had the SV/DRZ combo until the SV was wrecked. I haven't commuted to work on the DRZ, but it's like 95% city, so I imagine it'll be more enjoyable than the SV was. I'm still trying to figure out what to replace the SV and my wants are all over the place.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You might actually find a KLR650 or DR650 a better choice if you're not doing much more than light offroading. It's way more comfortable, and you can find good, used examples under $2000 without much effort. You can't really supermoto them (well, you probably could, but it's not the best choice), but you can go on a highway without quite the vibrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah.

I actually just made that statement thinking about the KLR.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's one in Gainesville:
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/1612948946.html

I'm pretty sure there's no real differences between an 89 and whatever the last year before the refresh was (07, maybe?). But I guess, yeah, under $3000 seems like what people on CL are asking.
http://craiglook.com/motorcycles.html?q=klr

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

What car even has a valve lash check on the maintenance schedule anymore. Maintenance on the DRZ is like other street bikes.
E46 (2000-2005) M3s have them. The E90/91/92 models do not, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Completely on accident, I stoppied at my MSF. It was a DR200SE, so it's not like it weighed anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

That's a great site, they're gonna suck some money out of my wallet. :sigh:
I got my Edge there, also, but drat if it isn't hard to actually find anything on there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was walking home from the Metro last night and saw a guy riding an SMC of some displacement (didn't get a good look) stopped at a light. I was disappointed when he took off with both wheels on the ground.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

After my DRZ shed its first plate I said gently caress it and zip-tied the new one on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Er. The handlebar may have been bent. Oh, and it could have punctured the case, but that would have been obvious.

Dropping a DRZ doesn't really hurt it other than cosmetically and barely even that. I guess the tank could get dented, maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes. Do it. Swapping between sets is easy. Half hour at most. Or so I'm told, anyway. Utility may be an issue if that includes carrying more than you can fit in a backpack, but other than that, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of jets, where can I get them for the FCR? The TT kit comes with a bigger main jet than I'll need since I have a stock exhaust right now. Searching the TT store only brings up full jet kits, and I don't need anything but the main.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

See if you can get him down a bit, but really, they're simple bikes so there's not *that* much that can be wrong with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't a 450 going to blow a DRZ out of the water?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the hell's the difference between a 690 Supermoto and a 690smc other than an ugly exhaust on the former?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AngryGuy posted:

The only other DRZs on craigslist are people asking ridiculous money for bikes with higher miles. I guess it is the wrong time to be looking at DRZs in this area.
Get z3n to ship his!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heh that guy's been advertising it on SVR for months now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I can sell my VFR fast enough also it is on the wrong side of the country. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not very. They have to come out to adjust valves, so it's required for maintenance, anyway. Just triple check everything before you put it back together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Hard after she's throughly warmed up. Just like...well, nevermind. ;)

Nice bike :)

(run in is basically black magic with half the people saying one way and half saying another and it not seeming to make a drat bit of difference)
Hey if you do it wrong, it might only last for 100k miles instead of 110k!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

soy posted:

Anything in the range of the drz400sm is fine. Should I just get a drz400sm? (I want a drz400sm)
Yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Christoff posted:

At what point is it still a sumo, really? Might as well be a big duke or something.

Do they make dukes that big? I want a duke. Is there a point in having duke AND sumo? In the duke 690 and supermoto 690 which out performs the other in speed/handling?
http://www.ktm.com/990-Super-Duke.46.0.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Depending on miles that's probably fair. Ask when the valves were last checked. (And the miles.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well that sucks poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How much meat can I get off the big boar?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eamonn posted:

I'm looking for a used DRZ to import to Canada, what's the upper limit for mileage on them? prices don't seem to dip appreciably below 3500$ regardless of year, condition or mileage and they don't seem to be drastically different from 2006 onwards. So is older better than higher mileage all other tinhs being equal?

The DRZ never changed at all other than plastic colors and stickers so yeah older with lower mileage is preferable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A 690 would be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gom Jabbar posted:

When I bought my White 400SM I couldn't find black anywhere. Not that it really maters, but I am worried that the red dirt that is everywhere where I live will stain the white panels.
If you don't want a white bike, order a set of replacement plastics. They're cheap!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aargh posted:

I'm starting to seriously consider picking up a DRZ, just need to sell my current bike first. What are they going to be like for someone 6'5" and about 220lbs?
They'll be fine. You might want to get some taller bars, but other than that, I don't think you'll have an issue. With the banana seat, you'll have plenty of room to side back and forth to get comfortable, and I'm heavier, so that's not an issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DRZs pop up around DC on occasion. The bike market here is mostly affluent lawyers and IT professionals, so they're not as common as other things. I've only ever seen one or two supermotos on the road besides mine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

06 DRZ650sm, $3600 with 5400mi.

I went in originally to look at that KLX250, saw what I thought was a DRZ400, turned out to be a 650 (which I didn't even know they made) It's still a bit tall, but they offered to install a new linkage to drop it a hair. Very nice bike, clean as hell. Anyone have any opinions on them? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it.
Well, there's no DRZ650sm. There's a DR650S, which has dual-sport wheels and tires. And in any case, don't. They're heavier with hardly any more power, and nowhere near the aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

It's the ideal city bike,
Agreeing with this. Supermotos are awesome in the city.

• Locked thread