Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Back to DRZ chat.

2011 DRZ400SM. I replaced my rubber mounts with zeta rubber killers. Clymer says to torque "handlebar holder bolts" to 33 ft-lb. I think they are referring to A (the handlebar holder), but what about B (the handlebar holder holder)?

epswing fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

No, they're referring the B with that spec. 32 foot pounds is way too much for a handle bar pinch bolt.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. I'll start over.

I want to know the torque specs for these two bolts (A) and (B)

In this diagram, it appears the right side is for SM models. As for as I can tell, (A) is in the top right as (1) "Handlebar holder bolt", (B) is (9) "Nut"

I'm already a little confused, because it labels (1) going through (2) "Handlebar holder cap" and fastening to (3) "Handlebar holder". And also, another longer (1) going through (3) fastening to (9). So there are two types of "Handlebar holder bolt".

In the text, it says "loosen the lower holder bolts", and then "tighten the bolts ... to 33 ft-lb) on SM models". In this case, which bolts it the text referring to? I would assume it meant (9), but it goes on to reference "the bolts" in (A, Figure 1) pointing at (1).

In the torque specs section, it simply references "handlebar holder bolts" at 33 ft-lb for SM models, 3rd line from the bottom.

So... :confused:

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 11, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

Also, this is a clymer/haynes manual? I'd imagine that contributes. Usually the factory manuals will have a base model, primary book for the model, with addendums for the years afterwards/changes in model, to avoid exactly this sort of confusion.

Which book should I have? The Suzuki DRZ Shop Manual (tm)?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm never sure I have the right chain slack after buying a sumo. The swingarm flexes so much that, when I'm off, it looks loose, and when I'm on, it looks tight. I generally try to find a spot in the middle but :confused:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Got the MCCT for my DRZ in the mail. I've seen a tutorial here and a video there.

1) Do I really need to knock the top off and rotate to TDC?
2) Do I really need to remove the exhaust pipe?

I'll do it if it needs doing, but does it need doing?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Uh oh, do I need a new master cylinder? Or just the cover and membrane? Is this an opportunity to do the whole stainless steel brake line bit?

:ohdear:

E: bike is 3 years old, with 6000km on it.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 18, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Yerok posted:

The FCR39 on the DRZ is starting to piss me off.

How so?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, two 2008 KTM 690 SMCs have popped up for sale in Ontario.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/barrie/2008-ktm-690-smc/600710763 $6600, 18,000km, 1 hr away

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/oshawa-durham-region/2008-ktm-smc-690/600525936 $8500, 3000km, 3 hrs away

Quick what do I do :aaa:

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 10, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

iwentdoodie posted:

They chopped the end off, gutted it, then booger welded it back together.

Why?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I recently replaced my stock seat with a normal-height Seat Concepts seat. It's definitely better than the stock seat, due to the better quality foam, and wider butt-seat contact patch. But it's not going to blow your mind either, you're still riding basically a dirt bike, they're not made for comfort.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Shifting my DRZ, instead of a nice clean "click", I now get more of a "thunk" and I have to press harder (sometimes).

Coming up on 2500 km since last I changed the oil (rotella t6).

Is that what you mean when you say "notchy"?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My 2011 DRZ SM has almost 10k km on it. After it warms up, when I let it idle on the kickstand (leaning left), everything sounds normal. When I lift the bike upright, or lean the bike to the right, I hear an extra clicky clicky vibrationy sound, coming from the left side of the engine.

I'll try and grab an audio recording next time. It's subtle, but it's there.

Any idea what this could be?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it go away when you pull the clutch in?

Nope.

Here's a recording. I'm sitting on the bike holding my phone near the left side of the motor, slowly swaying the bike left and right with my feet on the ground. The phone was mostly kept at a fixed distance from the motor. At the 0:04, 0:08, and 0:13 second mark, the bike is leaned right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4220513/moto/New%20Recording%203.m4a

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 23, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Z3n posted:

Have you done the locktite fixes?

Actually, no. Uh oh :ohdear:

Edit: So...how do I know if I'm boned or not.

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 24, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I promise you if you put red loctite on your CS sprocket it's not going ANYWHERE. I had a hell of a time breaking the thing loose on my last one even with heat applied.

When you say "heat applied" what do you mean? Blow torch? Stick of dynamite? I was thinking of doing this over the winter, but what happens when I need to get it off and I don't have a full garage at my disposal? Take it to a mechanic and say "how much to get this off"?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Drz law: change your oil when the shifting gets notchy, don't worry about mileage, the bike will let you know.

I think I know what you mean. But define "notchy".

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I quite like the nimbleness of my DRZ. It can be a bit gutless at times but perfect for tearing rear end around the city and not as bad as I thought it'd be on the freeway

I enjoyed the nimbleness of my DRZ a little too much. Last season I turned into a bit of a hooligan, frequently pushed it too hard, wound up in maybe half a dozen near-misses.

So I bought a Boulevard M50 to ride daily, and I'll be riding the DRZ exclusively at the track :v:

That decision may have doubled my lifespan! Guess we'll never find out though :iiam:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ought ten posted:

I hope you can. A disc lock is good but doesn't mean too much on a bike a couple guys can easily lift into a truck.

A motorcycle thief did a very interesting AMA on reddit a while back. One thing he mentioned was that he, and every other thief he knew, would always ride the stolen bike away, and that the bunch-of-guys-and-a-truck was not really a prevalent thing, as far as he was concerned.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

ought ten posted:

Interesting. Makes sense. You have a link to that?

Yep http://bit.ly/1NlRpTA

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 10, 2015

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a set of newly new Pilot Powers on my DRZ, and I'm gearing up for my first track day in about a month. Are these tires fine for beginners?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I rode a klx250sf around the block. It's really tiny, felt like a toy. I ended up passing and getting the tractor (drz400sm).

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm also OCD when it comes to straightness and symmetry. Bought my 2011 DRZ SM from the PO who had recently crashed it. The bars were bent, and no amount of un-tightening/re-tightening the triples got things perfectly straight. Turns out one of the rubber bushings was semi-destroyed, causing the bars to sag a little to one side. I replaced the rubber bushings with rubber killers and all was right with the world once again.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

epalm posted:

The bars were bent misaligned

Oops, fixed. The bars themselves were fine.

Partial Octopus posted:

Awesome. Thank you so much.

:glomp:

PS careful when tightening the triple tree pinch bolts, they are soft and if you reef on them they'll break :v: be sure to check the torque specs!

captainOrbital posted:

Never buy an S1000RR.

:confused:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What year is your DRZ? I've got a Clymer (or was it a Haynes?) at home, I can take a photo of the torque spec page for you.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Partial Octopus posted:

I found the torque specs on google. http://dwulet.com/bikes/docs/Torque_DRZ400S.PDF I'm guessing it is the front fork upper clamp bolt.

Ah poo poo sorry, I forgot to look it up at home. Yes, you're after the front fork upper/lower clamp bolts, BUT I can't remember if those torque specs are different for the SM model...

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

JB50 posted:

Any word on the price yet?

> "Put me on the list. NO I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH IT COSTS."

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Spiffness posted:

PFFT, drag bar:

I think that's called "crashing" :confused:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What is this magnificent beast?

https://vid.me/ycQM

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Deeters posted:

Is that the Seat Concepts seat, marxalot? What do you think of it?

I have one. It's great.

(Rather, it's "acceptable" as far as motorcycle seats go, which means it's great, for a DRZ :) )

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Regarding my 2011 DRZ400SM, I've been reading about the factory ACCT applying more-than-necessary tension, which leads to Bad Things over a long enough timeline. Swapping it out for a MCCT makes sense, BUT how do I know if the previous owner has already performed this particular operation?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

High Protein posted:

the SMC has a tach, which I find a requirement for something lc4 powered

Why?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

cursedshitbox posted:

seatconcepts is your friend.

Seconding this. It's pretty great (aka reasonable for a couple hours at a time).

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Don't know where else to post this link, but it needed to be posted.

Yamaha YZ250 Dirt Bike sound effects library

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
For the past few years, I've owned two bikes. My DRZ400-SM and "the other bike". I keep buying a new-to-me bike, then I get tired of it, sell it, and go back to the dizzer. As such, it gets a lot of use for a season, then no use at all the next season, rinse, repeat.

I live in Canada and we only ride 7 or 8 months per year. This means when it sits, it sits for 4 winter months, then 8 riding months, then 4 winter months = 16 months at a time. So far, during these long timeouts, the only "maintenance" I'm doing is keeping the gas tank full, to avoid rusting out the tank.

What else should I be doing?

I'm scared that one time I'm going to hop back on my old friend and it's going to be broken :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My 2011 DRZ-400SM is about to sit for a 3rd winter.
  • Hasn't been used since just before last last winter, about October 2016
  • Won't be used until spring, say April 2019, so that's 30 months of inactivity
  • It's got a full tank with stabilizer
  • The battery died a while ago (forgot to trickle charge)
  • It's in a small non-temp-controlled shed in the backyard, under a cover
  • I live in Canada, temps can drop to -30 C (-22 F) over the winter
In light of these facts,
  • Anything I should do before letting it sit this winter?
  • Is it worth draining fluids?
  • Are there any rubber hoses in particular I should replace, after multiple freeze/thaw cycles?
  • Should I take it around the block a few times before it gets too cold, just to get things moving?
  • Is the gas almost certainly bad and needs to be replaced before starting up the motor?
I'm selling my other bike come spring, so I'll be back to hooning on the DRZ and I can't wait.

epswing fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 25, 2018

• Locked thread