Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
That's awesome. Is that Fender Surf Green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bleh, I guess two weeks is too long for the DRZ I'm babysitting to sit un-started, and now she won't. Battery is fine, it cranks and smells faintly of gas but doesn't even stumble or try to catch.

Any quick ideas I can try before pulling the carb?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Enough fiddling with the petcock and the choke and I got it to run a couple times, as long as about 10 seconds, then it dies abruptly.

I think if I try it tomorrow it might go. I put some seafoam in the tank, too, just in case. In the mean time, I'm going to read the manual on this drat thing so I know what I'm doing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

kuffs posted:

You sure it has gas in it? DRZ tanks are pretty small.

It definitely has gas in it, but this is weird: I drained the float bowl, then turned the petcock to 'Prime' and no additional fuel comes out. That doesn't really make sense to me...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Not the petcock, I pulled the fuel line out of the carb, put it on prime, plenty of fuel comes out.

Has to be the float valve stuck shut. I sprayed some carb cleaner up the drain outlet and down the fuel inlet, I'm hoping that breaks it free. I really don't want to pull them.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I know, I just have Post Traumatic Carb Disorder, and it's not my bike so my desire to tear it apart is pretty low even if he said it was okay.

edit: Pulled carb, cleaned out float bowl and needle, adjusted float height, bike fired right up. Yay.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

For the last two years or so I've been bike-sitting an '06 400SM for my friend, who has basically given up riding and doesn't have garage space for it. I've ridden it a decent amount, and it's really not my favorite bike. Vibrates too much, seat is like a 4x4 suspended between paint shakers, sucks on the highway, I hate carbs, and I hate not having ABS. Also, after I broke my ankle I didn't ride it for about five months and it's going to need a carb clean to run well again. That said, I love the seating position and size, and it is really a shitload of fun when you're trying to have fun on it. I also don't have a bike of my own right now and if I want to ride something I'm worried about it being someone else's bike.

So, much like two people who end up moving in together and then getting married entirely out of inertia and lack of immediately accessible better options, I'm finally just going to buy it off of him (for very cheap) and become an official sumobro, free to wheelie myself off the side of a cliff.

It's getting a new goddamn seat.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ahaha awesome

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I only have $1000 into the DRZ so I don't really care about collision, but it would only bump me up to $200/6 months.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

What jet kit should I get for my DRZ400SM? Has a Yoshimura slip-on and K&N filter right now, and I'll probably do the 3x3 mod.

I'm going to tear the whole loving thing apart at once and refresh everything so I might as well do jet kit while I have the carb apart.

edit: anything else out of the ordinary I should do for a bike that only has 7k miles but has sat a ton for the last five years or so?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 22, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do the JD over the dynojet

Awesome, thanks for the rec.

So far I have:

JD jet kit
Carb rebuild kit - I know this will duplicate some parts with the jet kit, but it was the only way to get the other pieces.
Petcock rebuild kit
oil change stuff
speed bleeders, ATE fluid
coolant

I'm going to get new pads & stainless brake lines as part of the brake overhaul, and it's still on the original Scorpion Trail's so I'll get a set of PR4s.

Anything else that would be good to address while the bike is torn apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yerok posted:

I don't know if you already have your brake lines picked out but I have had really good experiences with HEL, and after a couple custom orders they started rounding my prices down.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go with those. Price-wise they work out very competitively and being able to get all-black non-bling ones is a huge plus.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 27, 2017

• Locked thread