Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

After riding ducati's hypermotard 1100s at their demo days the other day the thought has now crossed into my mind to trade my 636 in for a supermotard. Probably can't afford the ducati but the drz400sm is right in my price range!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone here ridden both a drz and the ducati hypermotard? I've been riding the ducati at their demo days the pas couple weeks and was wondering how they compared. I LOVE the ducati, I want it now but the price might be out of my range. I know the drz has basically half the HP and feel a little bit different just sitting on it compared to the duc. Any opinions?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dubs posted:

Comparison? One is the cheapest road ready 'motard' and one is the most expensive road ready 'motard', And theres a big gap. Both are too heavy to be thrown around like a converted bike, but one is still like 100 lbs lighter than the other.

If i had Ducati money i would look at KTM's or Husky's or maybe just buy 2 bikes?

The one thing I noticed that was completely different was when I sat on the DRZ the suspension was super soft. Like, it traveled almost 4-6 if not more when I sat on it. The duc didn't really move at all. I'm just wondering if it was the floor model DRZ they had or if the suspension is really that soft.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Thats the thing that people conveniently forget about the Hypermotard. Its not really a supermoto. If you want to be really anal, its because its not based of a dirtbike. Mainly though, the reason lies in its heft and the fact that while it outpowers every supermoto on the market, it doesnt out suspension them.

A DRZ or a KTM or Husky or whatever SM you want, could ride down stairs and jump off loading docks and do whatever the gently caress until you're blue in the face. The Ducati, while it does have more travel than your average streetbike, isnt really set up for that kind of hardcore suspension abuse.

I could definitely tell that about the duc. It's really not made to take the abuse a real SM would. I know 2 guys in town that own the DRZ, I need to get one of them to let me test ride theirs to see if I actually like that feeling or not.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dubs posted:

Well, I was trying not to flat out say the hypertard isn't a motard because it might sound stuck up, but yes it's really just a big monster with stupid plastics on it. I can't really see a reason to own one really, I'd just buy the monster or super sport ducati sitting next to it.

EDIT: drz suspension is set up for someone about 80kg's, but even with me at 30kg over that it wasn't super duper spongey or anything. It would dive under breaks though.

I recently got the suspension changed for me and the different is just amazing. It's just a dream to ride and i have preety much not decided to jump over to a ktm now. It's not a quick bike, but I didn't buy it to be one and it does everything I will ever need it too.

I'm just under you at 100kg's, I guess I just wasn't expecting that much travel having only ridden sportbikes and the hyper. I'm guessing it just wasn't setup properly at the dealer and is why I wanna actually ride one first.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

After reading thumpertalk and supermotojunkie all weekend my urge to trade my 636 for a DRZ is reaching the boiling point! How to convince the wife it's a good idea though is the next challenge!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tsaven Nava posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is the Supermotard thing a pretty recent phenomenon? I can't seem to find many bikes for sale much older then a couple years.

I think in certain areas it's caught on more than in others. There's like 5 drz's for sale within 250 or so miles of me here in florida, at least according to cycletrader and craigslist.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bung posted:

Tell her that the insurance is a lot cheaper.

That, and my monthly bike payment would be a hell of a lot cheaper too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well it's more that at least around me and on E-bay/CL, there don't seem to be any supermotos and older then 2007 or so. And for me to have a HOPE in hell of affording one, it's got to be at least ten years old.

Ya, the ones for sale around me are between 3-5k which is about what I'd pay for a newer one.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

pr0zac posted:

(Bit late I know).

When I sold my CBR and got my DRZ, the girlfriend was all for it because I convinced her it was safer as it was so much slower. Course then I started doing this regularly and she realized the truth. But by then I already owned the bike.

Click here for the full 1024x682 image.

My wife and I may be heading towards a divorce soon. Guess what the first thing I'm buying when she's outta the house is? Not because she wouldn't let me have one, but just because, gently caress why not get a badass new toy like that to cheer me up!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh god, a former co-worker has a few year old KTM 640 LC4 that's in pretty much new condition that he's looking to sell!

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this from him!
There isn't is there?!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

Well, you could say that the fact that you're going to lose your license thanks to it is a reason...

But you know it really isn't! You'll be walking to jail with a smile from ear to ear :devil:

Since it's just sitting in his garage collection dust I'm going to see if I can "rent" it out for the weekend to "evaluate" whether I want to buy it offa him. He literally hasn't ridden it in over a year.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

needknees posted:

They vibrate like a paint mixer, have a pathetic instrument cluster, and even with the larger tank on the 640 over the 625 they have a minuscule range.

And you'll love every goddamn minute of it. :3:

So exactly what a SM should be then!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

Eh, you already have your mind set, could've just as well just posted the "I've bought a sumo" post.

Welcome to the dark side!

My 636 is going to be so lonely I foresee, might be time to ship her off to a better home!

edit:

Just found out it's a 2001. Anything to look for on this model year?

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 24, 2010

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh no, the itch is coming back.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2371143411.html

or

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2364550487.html

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Is this as good of a deal as it appears to be?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2486059939.html

Yes, very much so!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If anyone is coming down to Daytona this week for bike week and wants to get together to do some test rides lemme know. KTM will have all their bikes available and I'm really looking forward to getting on 690SMC as it's going to be my next bike!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Will they even have one there? the SMC isn't being imported to the US anymore as far as I know, so I don't think they'll be demoing a bike they don't sell.

Wow, I had no idea they weren't importing the SMC anymore. That blows rear end :( Gonna make used ones even harder to find than they already are.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

"[working title posted:

"]
Selling my DRZ tomorrow morning :( Picking up a 690 smc in the afternoon :woop: :woop:

So excited I dont think i'm going to be able to sleep tonight.

I envy you. I've checked everyday on craigslist for like the past few months and I have NEVER seen a 690SMC come up anywhere in Florida. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

As supermotos go, how is the Ducati Hypermotard 796?

I test rode one a few years ago when Ducati did a demo days here in Daytona. It's the bike that made me go, gently caress sportbikes I want something like this. However, compared to a DRZ or KTM, it's not quite the same. It's bigger and more comfy than both of them. Whereas the DRZ and KTM are more dirtbike than sportbike, the 796 leans more towards sportbike than dirtbike, which, while not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a little different. If you think the definition of super moto is a DRZ then the 796 doesn't really fit in that definition. Still an awesome bike though.

• Locked thread