Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Shouldn't have started reading this thread. Now I'm considering going and test riding a DRZ400SM for my first bike, and to think I was almost worked out on what I was going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dubs posted:

Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

What'd'ya do? Copy this straight from Vice Magazine?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

"husk-var-nuh"

All the ads for chainsaws I've seen pronounce it this way too.

I'm pretty sure there's more than one way to say it though and I'd imagine that it'd be like something I heard years ago from a Porsche sales exec that it doesn't matter really which way you say it, just that you buy it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I looked at drz's for a while when I first got the license but as you say they're stupid expensive. I've just settled for a gs500 till I get off my p's then I'll grab something orange

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

Is that guy in the video driving a Caterham or a Lotus 7? That looks fun as hell, I wish they did something like this here.

It's a Westfield, says so at the end.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'm starting to seriously consider picking up a DRZ, just need to sell my current bike first. What are they going to be like for someone 6'5" and about 220lbs?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

They'll be fine. You might want to get some taller bars, but other than that, I don't think you'll have an issue. With the banana seat, you'll have plenty of room to side back and forth to get comfortable, and I'm heavier, so that's not an issue.

Fine then, was half looking for an excuse but I guess it's time for a new bike.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dubs posted:

You can come ride mine if you are ever in Newcastle.

Cheers, think I might just hunt out a few test rides at dealers maybe this weekend then wait for something to pop up on eBay / bikesales / is there anything else?

Also what's considered high / excessively high mileage on DRZ's, there's been a few show up online with 40-50000km's (30 thou miles). Would they be any good? Or really at the end of their lives?

eg.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUZUKI-MOTARD-DRZ-400-SM-5-500-/130521740987?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1e63b3b6bb

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dubs posted:

EDIT: I regularly saw people trying to sell a few year old bikes for under RRP, but more that I could buy one new for. Peeps are dumb.

Early this year I swear I saw KTM advertising 2010 690 SMC's for $11995, there's people on bikesales looking to get $11500 for 2008 versions (admittedly only a few thousand k's - who buys a bike and only rides it for less than 4 thousand k's (other than Z3n)?)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I sent an email to Procycles Hornsby asking why they had a 2008 690 SMC listed at 11500 when there was the runout on 2010's at 11995, they got back to me saying that yes indeed KTM did do a runout at that price but it was to get rid of stock and it makes there's seem quite expensive in comparison. Idiots, of course it makes it look expensive if you list it close to retail price of a model 2 years newer.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's the opinion on 690sm's over the smc? I kinda dig the real loving ugly look and they seem to be a bit cheaper than smc's in Australia.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's the general thought on the 690SM's can't really afford the SMC but there are a few SM's kicking around (plus I really like the look of them).

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Something went and followed me home this evening.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

KARMA! posted:

The L plate sells it.

Don't know what you're looking at but there's no L plate, there's rego up front and a license plate on back (needs a tail tidy), but that's it

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Looks pretty cool

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

The wife's DRZ lost the countershaft nut on the test ride. :haw: Still bought it though!

Loctite is good, there's a big debate on the TT forums about the best type to use to prevent that thing from coming off.

Speaking of shaking things loose, the shift lever on my 690SM fell off this afternoon and I had to ride 40km home stuck in 6th - city traffic was not fun for me or the clutch. Is this something thats going to be a generic part or do they vary from model to model and I need to hunt down the specific part?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This sounds perfect for a sumo-conversion: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct1811-ktm-unveils-freeride-350/

99kg? Yes please!

Not sure how I'd go with a bike that weighed less than me.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Is there proper technique or some tutorials on how to properly wheelie, stoppie or back it in. I've put about 1000ks on the KTM so far and feel I should really learn how to do some of this stuff, for you know, safety skills.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

You can start learning to back it in completely upright. Get up to about 60MPH, hard on the front brake, and downshift to second and then drop the clutch as you're slowing, because you should have a slipper clutch in that thing. The tail end of the bike will waggle a bit. When you get comfortable with that, lean the bike over to one direction a bit while still going straight and it'll slide out to the rear out in the other direction (ie, lean the bike a bit to the right and the rear wheel will slide out on the left).

If it hops rather than slides, you need to be more aggressive on the front brake, you need more engine braking, or you need to use the rear brake to get it to slide out. I use a fair bit of rear brake to get it to slide out when I'm on the street, on the track I don't use the rear brake at all.

Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. :)

I was playing around yesterday on the ride to and from work and noticed I'm getting the rear to slide a bit on aggressive down shifting. I may have been doing it for a bit but since I usually have headphones on I haven't noticed the chirping of the tyre - once I noticed it I started trying to do it more and more when I was stopping at lights and there weren't too many cars about. As for all the rest, I'll head out later today and report back.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Trip report, got distracted, went for 250km ride instead of trying to do wheelies. Maybe tomorrow.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

My supermoto will finally have street cred!

That'll show those Ducati boys when you pop into the cafe for a Latte

(note: user may have similar shipping from ebay as we speak)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Dammit, that is not what I wanted to hear.

Buy it, it's really quite cheap.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

soy posted:

I can flat foot my completely stock DRZ at stoplights, no problem. :coolfish:

6'5" viking up in hea`

Yeah I'm not sure why people say sumos are tall. I flat foot my 690 easily.

(also 6'5")

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

CLEANIN UP THE STREETS

The tyre needs to be white, like a large white eraser

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

What's everyone's preference for helmets for supermoto bikes, road, dual sport or off road?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cool looks like a good enough excuse to shop for a new helmet.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Pretty much any stock supermoto seat is like a 2x4

I bought the "ergo" seat for my KTM, it's not that much more comfortable than the standard.

I was thinking for longer trips to wear cycling knicks under my clothes to pad things out a little more.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you're just after looks SDG makes some nice looking seats. Mainly a MX brand though

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If you've never had street tires offroad, you might be surprised how well they do. They arent dirt tires obviously, but they arent insta-crash territory either.

Over Christmas i rode about 1-200km on hard packed dirt on my pilot powers and they were fine. At first i was pretty poo poo scared to go above 40km/h but after a bit i had no worries at 80-90km/h. The water crossing that was a bit deeper than i expected and covered in more algae than expected on the other hand...

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ive been pondering similar on my 690sm, for some reason i have in my head i think its just not accelerating hard enough.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

28_days posted:

Would I be foolish to look at a supermoto for my first bike?

I've seen plenty of recommendations for 250 Rebels, TU250X's, Ninjas, etc. What about a WR250X or a DRZ400SM?

I'll be riding 100% street. 90% non-freeway/about 50 mph+. I have no prior bike experience.

Opinions? I'll be honest, I don't have much experience with different kinds of bikes, etc. But as I've been doing my research I've seen a lot of positive feedback on supermotos. I like the lightweight, throw-able, hi-rev combination.

Thanks!

A DRZ would be pretty good as a first bike, light, agile, likes to lay down on its side, not overpowered. Then theres a whole bunch of aftermarket when you get a couple of years experience under your belt.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

New love for motards:

Had a car (PRIUS BASTARDS) doing 35 in a 55 single lane each way and I had a chick in an SUV on a cell phone behind me making me nervous. I went to legally pass on the left and he loving blocked me. I moved back into my lane and he slowed down to 30. Waited a minute tried to pass again and was blocked without even signalling this time.

By this point I was really pissed as this guy could have been 2 seconds late and sideswiped me. I've got my dirt wheels on and on the other side it was fairly rough, but not really bad at all. I moved left and he blocked as expected so when I pushed hard right and off road he had no chance to block me. I passed him, opened up the throttle and left Prius guy in my mirrors.

I love motards/dualsports....

You realise that the rules of the road explicitly state that if someone blocks a legitimate overtake more than twice you're allowed to drag them from their car and beat them senseless in front of their loved ones.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

quote:

Some people do long trips on SMCs, but unless mine is the exception (it isn't) the bike is not set up at all for distance; twitchy power delivery, iron beam seat, 12l tank (only about 100mi range if you're careful).

What the heck are you doing to get feul economy that bad. I was getting 3.6L/100km earlier today in my SM

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Well I should be clear, KTM states 12l, the physical volume of the tank is probably more like 11.5, the fuel pump is inside the tank and takes up more room and then on the SMC if you actually fill it all the way up and loft the front wheel so much as an inch you will get fuel out of the tank breather. So it's more like 9l.

On top of that I ride it start-stop on short, small, twisty roads constantly, we don't have highways, or even more than two straight roads on the whole island.

(If you're thinking that sounds great, you're sort of right, except we have 45,000 registered motor vehicles in 25 square miles, for 65,000 permanent residents)

Ok that makes more sense, I think the SM has a 13.5 litre tank, I'll usually get 180 km to the fuel warning light (10?) in the city and up to about 300 if i'm travelling long distance. Yesterday was a lot of 60-80-120kph on a freeway for a couple of hundred k's so the engine in sixth really isn't doing too much.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

JP Money posted:

The '07's are butt rear end ugly. That's what. Not sure who thought that setup was a good one...

You shut your whore mouth.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

JP Money posted:

It's a known fact the newer model is much sexier. Both are pretty sweet bikes but I don't think the '07/'08 model has that awesome supermoto look like the newer ones do...

Ah ok, you like the dirt bike look. That's fine, I'm not going to make comments on your sexuality, different strokes for different folks and all that.

On the subject of SC Project exhausts, I missed one on ebay by 2.50 last night. Some oval office beat me in the last 2 loving seconds to nab a $1000 exhaust for $182.50.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

QnoisX posted:

What are the major differences between a 2008 KTM 690 SMC and a 2007 SMR? Not at all familiar with the SMR. From what I gather it is a nicer version of the SM maybe? I've been on the hunt for a 690 and those two options popped up at the same time. Neither are really that close and they're located in the opposite direction to each other, so comparing them in person is a problem. The SMC is listed at a much higher price, ~$2700 more. It's loaded down with mods, but I know mods are generally not valued very highly.

Anyways, guess I'll go back to staring at the photos while I wait for responses from my emails.

The smc is a more balls to the wall supermoto whareas the SMR is slightly tamed towards street riding. The SMR has less suspension travel (8 inches vs 10 on the SMC) but as an R its got the full 690 engine rather than the 654. It'll weigh about 10kgs more but thats mostly the exhaust (apparently the SC Project exhaust is 9kgs lighter). The SMR should also have some fancy wheels (marchesini) from the duke which should be lighter but not so good off road.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ordered a pod filter (K&N RU-1750) for the SMC, and I have a TuneECU compatible ODB2->USB adapter and KTM 6-pin adapter on the way from lonelec. Planning on ordering the SC-Project exhaust when I get paid this week, then hopefully the fun will begin...

...or I'll brick my ECU and/or blow up my motor.

It seems SC Project might have a sale or just don't update their site. I ordered an exhaust for my SM last week and when they got back to me with a price it was lower including shipping than the listed price. Now i just have to wait for it to show up.

Just how long is shipping from Italy to Australia?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Bear in mind they would have taken off the Italian VAT (22%) because you are a non-EC customer. I've seen the system they make for the SM model, it's gorgeous and it sounds great too.

Ah that might be it, the price difference would be about right. Silly of them not to advertise this on their site (or my fault for not seeing it) I delayed for a fair while on getting it because of the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Got my SC Project exhaust fitted over the weekend (took it to the shop because it was too much of a pain to do it in the street). The shop took out the extra baffle as standard and holy gently caress is this thing loud. The titanium is starting to colour up nicely too.

Pics up tonight probably.

• Locked thread