Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Still waiting on mine, 5 weeks now, just hope they got it posted before the great Italian August shutdown. Got bored waiting for it and I've ordered even more stuff; the mod/service list is getting more impressive by the day.

That sucks. Mine shipped in about 3 weeks to Australia via FedEx. Lets see if this imgur for Android works now...

e; whoops, timg'd now

Aargh fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

soy posted:

Ordered an SMH 10, pretty sold on the Hornet DS. I've had a Shoei RF1000 for about 3 years now and it was worth every penny. Just looking for a place to get a good deal on a 2XL now.

e- Actually now I'm sold on the Arai XD-4 because.. gently caress it, you only live once. Why doesn't anyone have 2XL for my jupiter head :smith:

ee- Ultimately went with a AGV AX-8 DS as it's the only one that comes in XXXL. My head is enormous. Also it looks like a top gun helmet, and it's not $600.

Did you try on the various helmets first? I wear a XXL XR1000 (same as the rf1000) but when i tried on a hornet ds in store i found the plain XL to fit fine. I couldn't get the XD3 to fit and i don't think its the right head shape.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

soy posted:

Ordered an AGV AX-8 evo which is supposed to have intermediate oval shape which usually fits me and went by their sizing chart. Only helmet that comes in my size that I wanted. Worst case, the place I bought from has a 30 day no hassle return deal.

Can't really go to a store and try stuff on if you have a massive head, they will usually have like one or two helmets at most in stock that even fit and really unlikely those will be DS helmets.

Fair call. I must have been lucky as the store i went in had up to XXL Hornets and XD3's. I think they had the AGV but they just didn't fit me at all.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you replace the exhaust on the SM you can save a lot of weight.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

For an LC4 it should be around the 28psi mark.

Yeah that's what i run. Everytime i take it to a dealer they put in about 36-38 though.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Popped the "DB killer" out of the SC-Project can on the 690 today and... it's actually less offensive. I hadn't dared before now because with the insert in it was already obnoxious. At high revs/load it's louder sure but at idle and low revs I'm getting a lot less dirty looks from the neighbours. With the insert in the idle is like a THAP kind of sound and wound out it's a really harsh but with the insert removed idle is a softer THUB THUB THUB and it only gets THAP-y when I whack the throttle open.

And it seems to run smoother and pop less on overrun/decel to boot, I'm leaving the insert out all the time now. Maybe SC-Project never even tested it, they just figured anyone buying this kind of exhaust would throw the insert in the loving bin in disgust before even putting it on the bike.

Mine is really loud without it in though I've yet to get around to putting it in. There does seem to be a complete lack of backpressure and the bike will stall a fair bit too. Slightly different bike though.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Hadn't ridden my DRZ in a couple weeks so I rode it to work to make sure I don't glue up the carbs or run down the battery etc. Got to work and I of course try to park it without the kickstand down. :shepface:
Realize its tipping past where its supposed to but because drzs own its light at as a feather and I set it down slowly. I put it back up easily and check the damage, and there's just a hairline scratch smaller than half a cm on one of the bark busters. :arghfist::smug:

Sumos own :allears:

I managed to take off with my disc lock on the other morning in a rush to get to work. The bike ended up on its side on the road but similarly to you only a scuffed barkbuster. They were second hand anyway.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Not that those should stop you, they can be sorted out reasonably easy with a £30 cable and a spare laptop/afternoon. But you could use it to knock them down on price again.

I've had some pretty average luck in the past with firmware updates on electronic devices so i've been putting off the whole Tune ECU thing on my SM even though I've had the cable for a couple of months. Finally got around to it on Saturday, boy does it make a difference, no sputtering throttle, better acceleration. Now i just want to fine tune it a little but it's really good and really easy to do.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I run 10W50 in mine, its just not worth the risk. That being said I have had a KTM dealer tell me it's fine to run 10W40 in them too, that being said this dealer also told me a bunch of poo poo needed to be replaced that didn't and liked putting excessive amounts of air in my tyres.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just wear earplugs. That way you can't hear it as much. I always surprise myself how loud the SC Project is on my 690 SM whenever i ride without ear plugs.

Confession: I haven't ridden my bike more than 5 minutes in a month and its summer here. Moving and associated crap has been taking up my time and now i have a little POS car i don't take the bike to work.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

hayden. posted:

How's the KTM 690 for distance riding? In terms of fatigue from high RPM on highway, or poor range, or butt pain from the seat.

The seat is going to be your biggest complaint id guess. Depends on the model but my SM will comfortably get 300-350KM from a tank (13.5L). The SMC has a smaller tank (12L) but should get similar mileage. I've never managed to get to the end of a tank without having to get off and massage my sore/numb arse though. This is with the KTM ergo seat too.

You'll get additional fatigue from it being a naked, KTM do sell touring windshield (or if you've a SMC you could possibly adapt one of the rally-raid faring kits). But I've never tried this so can't comment.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

This is what I read, and I have to say I agree.

Its more of a rash...

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

I think spiff has the record for one day rides with a 850 mile day, I did 1600 (800/500/300) miles in 3 days on it.

Fffffffuuck! I've done 1000km in two days (650 on the first day). 850 miles - 1350km in one day is just insane. How long did that take? Allowing for rest stops and travelling near to a speed limit that's got to be 15 or 16 hours in the saddle. There's no way the last half would've been anywhere safe in regards to fatigue.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I'm looking at a new bike in the next few months as I am rapidly outgrowing my starter. I'm thinking it's definitely going to be a sumo :kimchi:.
I have a terrible obsession with 690 SMCs, and have been working six-day weeks in a fervent cash grab while I browse Craigslist.

I know I should probably get a DRZ but I'm interested in the input of some larger guys - I'm 6'3", 210lbs. I mostly use my bike for my short commute and running around town on errands, but on weekends I like to try to head up to the mountains for some curves. These mountains have a fairly rapid elevation gain, and that's where my current bike (Sportster 883) is really beginning to lack - I'm scraping exhaust going downhill, but accelerating uphill sucks with my big rear end onboard.

The reduced price and maintenance reqs on the DRZ appeal to me, but I'm looking for a significant boost in speed and I figured the 690 was my best bet. I'm in LA, so maintaining non-traffic highway speeds is a concern too. I realize comparing sumos to Sportsters is a bit silly, but I figured y'all would have some good input.

Bonus: my workplace is starting a lengthy expansion project that involves new parking lots/roads/construction/opportunities for sumo silliness. I am looking forward to being the first person here to be fired for hooning.

I'm a little taller and a little heavier (6'5" and maybe 220lbs) but I'd say a 690 is a good thing for you. I've never ridden a DRZ so I can't compare but the 690 SM I have is great for twisty mountain runs, it's also a great commuter.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

For remapping you should just head over to supermotojunkie and have a look at the TuneECU thread in the KTM subforum. There's a bunch of info and a few cross posts from threads on ADV which give you a pretty good rundown on how to install the basic Akra map for a new exhaust, put on a performance map, or how to change your throttle maps, or just how to get it all back to stock to give you a good baseline.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

So if I'm looking to buy new

Any reason? There's plenty of idiots out there that have bought a 09-10 SMC and only ridden to the shops and back and are selling for 25% below the new price. Buying new sounds good and the 13 SMC-R is sorely tempting but the depreciation isn't fun.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

So I kept asking you guys these questions and something scary happened and now there is a demon-thing in the garage HELP :supaburn:

As a fellow owner of an orange 690 SM I wholeheartedly approve of your decision.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Gah, haven't ridden my SM in too long. Went to go for a ride the other day and it wouldn't start, reading on SMJ suggests this is probably a gummed up fuel pump and i should just hit it till it starts. Might just fix it up, get it serviced and sell it off, just haven't had the time to ride it in the last 6 months.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

n8r posted:

This excuse is as lame as the excuses people used for not being able to back it in.

Yep blame me getting a car and a change of living arrangements. Just don't have as much spare time anymore and don't ride to work. Once I get it fixed up I'll take it for a couple of rides before I make up my mind.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Awesome idea.

The PO of my XT660X did a 5500km Copenhagen-Nordkapp round trip on it no problem in 2011, I'm considering whether I should repeat the adventure.

Long trips on a thumper with a 5-speed? No problem.

I've done 1200 km over three days on my 690 SM, had a sore ads but that was about it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Crossposted from the Photos thread, but here's a panorama shot of my 690 on a dirt road:

Also a test run of my new Hero 3 - highlights include me nearly falling off the mountain at 4:00 (street tires + dirt = aaaahhgh), and footbridge hooliganism at 4:50. Unfortunately I wasn't rolling footage when a deer attempted to kill me as I came out of a tight corner. Fucker looked straight at me and rushed across the road directly in my path. Luckily I anticipated his brilliant move and had already straightened up and geared down so he passed about six feet in front of me.

God I love this bike :swoon:

Yeah they're great bikes, I wish some rear end in a top hat didn't steal mine.

In good news though I got a good insurance payout, the armed robbers (seriously, they'd done over a bunch of service stations and brothels) got arrested, and now I'm after another 690, if only they were for sale.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

You know I never even thought of the idea that they stole it to do more robberies on, makes a lot more sense now.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

What, you don't want to be like every 690 owner on this board and either never ride your bike or pine over something you sold years ago? :v:

Shut up!

Strangely the 390 Duke is selling brand new for less than used DRZ's in Australia.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

epalm posted:

Just had both tires on the DRZ SM replaced with Pilot Power rear (150) front (120).

I'm experiencing some sort of up/down bouncing/shaking when riding in a straight line on a nicely paved road, which I noticed when the brake line which loops up and over the dash was bouncing around more than usual. I don't know much about suspension, so I'm not used to evaluating these kinds of things yet. If I ride up to 100kph, pull the clutch and coast back down, it's worst right around 60kph.

I checked tire pressure when I got home (I should have done this right after the tire change, I know), and it was 33 front, 36 rear. The internet leads me to believe it should be much lower, like 24 front, 29 rear. I adjusted the tire pressure as such and rode around the block, which didn't seem to help.

I don't have a stand, otherwise I'd lift the bike and spin the wheels, looking for imperfections. Maybe it's time for a stand.

Suggestions?

Edit: Clymer says 25 front, 29-33 rear.

I've noticed that bike shops don't know dick about supermoto tyre pressures. Whenever I got new tyres or a service or anything done to my KTM I'd come out, the ride would be nervous and a little stiff, check the pressures and they've closer to 40 than 30. Once the tyres are down to 26 front and back everything feels good again.

This was three different shops including two KTM dealerships.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you're looking for a 690 the Supermoto variant is good too if you want to save some money over a SMC. They lose a bit in the weight department though a lot of that is the exhaust and they're really timid on the electronic throttle mapping standard too, when you replace the exhaust Chuck in the K&N filter, remap with TuneECU and also adjust the throttle then and it's a whole new bike. The only problem with them then is the looks but I'm quite partial to them, still wish I had mine.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

epalm posted:

I thought the SMC was the 690 supermoto. Educate me.

There's a much better write up on Supermotojunkie but I thought I'd put a little up here.

In about 2007 KTM replaced the old LC4 (625 / 640 / 660cc) engines with a new 654cc (labelled 690 - go figure), this was offered in the Duke and SM variants. The duke had dual vertical headlights and an underlying exhaust and it's suspension travel was a bit less, it also featured cast marchesini wheels. The SM had well, controversial styling, looking a bit Spy vs Spy from the old Mad magazine. The SM also had a bit more suspension travel and an exhaust that looked like it was taken off a truck.

In 2008 probably due to poor sales of the SM due to looks KTM released the SMC. The SMC featured more dirt bike like styling, lighter weight, better fuel and throttle mapping. The SMC is the one that everyone wants and as such is rare as hens teeth on the used market. KTM now offer a SMC-R that features an engine increased in size to a true 690 and more anodized orange farkles than you could poke a stick at. This is only available in the civilised world.

As I said in my previous post, if you like the styling and are prepared to spend a little cash on upgrades and plug your bike into your laptop you can make a SM (or duke for that matter) a much more lively beast, closer to the SMC.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'd still have my 690 SM but it got stolen a couple of months ago.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

I haven't noticed the temp gauge going any higher. The (stock) exhaust still burns with the force of a thousand suns, but that's normal.

Out of curiousity - do you have any good links on tuning ont he 690s? I remember there was a german forum where a guy mentioned that the ideal A/F ratio on them is somewhere in the 12.8 range, due to cylinder cooling properties of the fuel. I keep wheelieing gas out of the back so it's hard to tell what the gas mileage actually is.

Edit: This guy: http://www.ktmforum.eu/forum3/wbb/690-supermoto-690-smc-690-enduro-690-duke/690-lc4-tuning/19947-neues-aus-der-tuning-k%C3%BCche/

I should also probably get an EGT sensor when I start in on this - those seem to be somewhat useful for adjusting timing.

On supermoto junkie there was a thread by intune who tried a fair bit in getting his SMC tuned right, seemed he spent a fair bit of time, money and dyno work to test it all out. I'm on my phone right now so I can't easily chase it down.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Boss posted:

My first supermoto isn't a real supermoto!

Jump on over to supermoto junkie and learn all about tune edu. The 690SM's are pretty similar to the smc. The big one to adjust on these bikes is the throttle tables as they only run about 75% throttle max at any point. Adjust it to 90-100 and enjoy the poo poo out of it. I miss mine.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

It's been a while since I had my 690 (and I still miss it sometimes) but as has been said the throttle tables indicate the percentage of throttle opening for the percentage of twist. Basically at default they adjust out the throttle to tame some low speed jerkiness or something.

The stock 690SM maps are all sorts of tame compared to the SMC and from what i remember you should just adjust it to the EVO2 map, though there's some good reading to be done on ADV and SMJ about it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Just because I ride a super moto doesn't mean I can't want to go 100+. I bought it specifically so I couldn't do it. It was an informed purchase.

You should be able to hit 100 on a 690, I remember my 690SM making about 150km/h but it got a little light at that speed too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

epalm posted:

A motorcycle thief did a very interesting AMA on reddit a while back. One thing he mentioned was that he, and every other thief he knew, would always ride the stolen bike away, and that the bunch-of-guys-and-a-truck was not really a prevalent thing, as far as he was concerned.

My bike got taken by two guys with a Ute or something. Admittedly they were Armed robbers, not professional bike thieves so circumstances vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Saw a cop sitting by the side of the road on his policed up Husky 701 earlier tonight. Looked pretty good. Would've snapped a pic except for the fact I was driving and they tend to look down on that sort of thing.

• Locked thread