Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Oh man, two DRZ400s popped up on craigslist in the last day, both 06's with 2000 / 4000 miles, both single owners. Around $3000 - $3200. I have also been eye'ing a WR450 that has been converted on craigslist for the last two months. I told myself I would get a sumo / dirtbike next spring but these are the best prices I have seen ever. Good thing I am out of town until Friday, I have some time to think rationality about things.

How easy / cheap is it to put dirt tires on a DRZ400, and is there anything else you would need for a offroad conversion? Nothing crazy, just fireroads or 4x4 truck roads. Is it reasonable to have a second set of wheels / tires and expect to convert to a dirtbike for weekends? FWIW I already have a sv650 I love, just want a second bike for bumming around the frontrange of Colorado and maybe getting my son a matching dirtbike sometime as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
After a bunch more reading and thinking I don’t think the DRZ400 is right SM for me. I worry that is will not have enough pep. Seems like the DRZ needs $1000+ minimum to make it quick. If I am getting a second bike for fun it needs to be unreasonably fast ….well, at least faster than a stock DRZ400 :)

I learned to ride long ago as a teenager on a 1980 2 stroke Yamaha 400 enduro and I guess I am chasing that feeling. Think at this point I will go back to saving cash and waiting until next spring. Any other Cycle asylum approved SMs to think about?

I hear a Husqvarna 610sm is a pretty great, fast, and reliable bike and I now want one. Howerver, I don’t think it would be easy to find one. I the 690 KTM is awesome but way too much money and also hard to find. I think I am leaning toward a late model WR450 or ?? (are Hondas any good for conversion?), other than wheels / tires / brakes / chain what else would one do to convert a WR450 to a sumo? Colorado is supposed to be an easy state for getting road plates so I am not too worried about that. Is $1000 - $1200 a reasonable budget for a conversion? I am looking to get away with a $3500 - $4500 total budget.

Sorry for the rambling post, I am still reading lots of thumper talk and supermotojunkie and this thread from the start to get educated in the ways of ridiculous wheeley machines.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Just keep an eye out. When I was sumo shopping, a bunch of people had bubba'd out DRZ400s way out in bumblefuck, Georgia. I searched for SM610s on Craigslist, and lo and behold, one came up for sale in stock condition less than a mile from where I work.

I'll be damned, found one in a town on the eastern planes about 1.5 hours away from Denver. Guy just emailed me back, said he still owns on the loan and just wants it gone. 2009 610SM with 2400 miles on the clock. poo poo, that is pretty much want I am looking for. He is asking 5 grand which is about right or a little high. If I try to get it I think my SV650 will have to go, and I love it and just got new tires / front springs / rear shock :( I'll have to go at least check it out. Truth is I rarely get out for long rides anymore (can't think of the last time I had a 250+ mile day) so a SM is looking even better.

Safety Dance, I'm a big guy, how do you think I will fit a 610sm? 6'3" 215lbs. I know what I like about these bikes, what don't you like about yours? How is it on the highway? I know it will suck I just wonder if it is tolerable.

Stupid thread, making me make financially irresponsible choices.

MetaJew, awesome ride. Egg me on.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

gently caress kickstarts!

Nonsense, kick starts are awesome. If I get a husky 610 sm first mod I do will be to add a kickstart if possible ( I have not kicked a bike over in years :) )

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
I looked at the 610sm that was local and it was a total bust. Engine was leaking oil everywhere, the owner assured me "My cousins races Husqvarnas and they all do it, nothing to worry about..." no wonder he never sent me the better pictures that I had asked for. I would not have minded to much, it's not the frist POS bike I have looked at and passed on, but I drove 2 hours each way to see it (4+ hours total)

I did ride it up and down the street and it was fun as hell, I can see myself with this type of bike. Did feel as little slow, but I was only on it for less then 5 minutes and doubt I was over 40mph.

It's a shame what someone can do to a bike in 3 years, it was just beat to poo poo.

Not pictured, busted rear turn signal, scratched to hell plastics, hole in seat. Can you at least wash your bike before you try to sell it? Especially if you are asking way to much and say you can't budge on the price since you owe that much on the loan...

I found a very nice 610sm on ADVrider but the seller said they have 6 other interested buyers and only want a local with cash at there door step. A fly and ride from Bakersfield CA to Denver CO on a unknown to me sumo it pretty out of the question. I would think about buying it and having it shipped but the seller said they don't want to deal with that. That and it's been listed for more then one month+, so I don't know about the 6 buyers thing, sounds fishy to me and I am not in the mode for these stupid games at the moment.

I guess I'll go back to looking at / thinking about WR450s. Why can't I just by a nice late model exotic Italian specialized semi-racing bike? #Firstworld_problems.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

That sucks, duder.

How many miles were on it, out of curiosity? My PO only managed 1100 between 2008 and 2012. I ran into him the other day, and he was real impressed that I had almost doubled the mileage between May and now.

Mine has a small oil leak around the oil filter cover because dingus over-torqued one of the bolts and messed up the gasket. It's nothing like what you posted, but it does piss on my boot a little bit during long rides. I'm going to get all of that taken care of in a couple weeks.

Had just under 3000 miles.

So, I am called to craigslist once again and this time he is not a bitch.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3231827868.html

This looks like pretty much the bike for me, heavaly modified bigbore fancy carbed DRZ400 for a reasonable price. Also close by, might give the guy a call and see if I can look this afternoon. My questions is, is such a modified DRZ now just a ticking timebomb or still pretty reliable?

Also found a pre motarted WR450 but no pics, emailed the guy asking for more info.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3209813460.html

Yamaha or Zuc? I know I said the DRZ was not for me, but this one looks right up my ally. Plus I already have a SV650, so I Iike the Suzuki method. Please don't snipe if you are in Denver :)

I will have a retarded wheelie machine soon... even thought I am a wuss rider.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

echomadman posted:

If all the mods on that one were done by Eddie Sisneros (DRZ guru on SMJ) like it says on the ad it'll be as reliable as stock.

Good to know it's quality work done by a guru. I'm going to go take a look tomorrow morning. I rode one DRZ SM, all stock at a local dealer months ago and was pretty un-impressed, but this should be a different bike from what I understand. The guy that owns it had a Husky 610sm that he bought to replace a DRZ, he said it blew up after 5000 miles, got the engine replaced under warranty then traded it in for this DRZ that he then had modded to hell and back. So, I guess we think alike! He said he does not miss the Husky at all and this is a little down on power but overall a much better bike. Trip report after I have a look. To be honest I have watched craigslist on and off for the last year for DRZ-SMs and everyone seems to want around 4 grand for them totally stock, so this is promising. Trying not to get my hopes up...

The Yamaha guy said he would email some pics, but I guess Im leaning away from the WR450 again due to maintenance. One forum post say it's nothing to worry about and they run forever if you just change the oil all the time, next post says ticking timebomb that will cost thousands (as a supermoto...)

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In that state of tune, that DRZ is probably just as strong as the WR450. Heavier, yes, but power-wise I'm sure its not far off.

If its really an Eddie Sisneros build it should last a long time assuming it was taken care of.

That is what I thought. So, a big thing about sumos is power to weight ratio and the DRZ has always been "heavy' for a sumo. The difference between the WR450 and DRZ is about 40lbs wet (as far as I tell) and this one is juiced up so it should be good. I do worry that I will not think it's light enough since it's "only" 90 - 100lbs lighter then my sv, but at this point I'm sure I am over thinking it :)

I have no reason to doubt it's build by Eddie Sisneros (even though I have never heard of him before today) Looked up his shop and it's just 15 miles up the street from here. Maybe I got luck with this one.

WR450 guy got me some pics, it is a pretty bike:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
The DRZ was all it was supposed to be. In good shape, well taken care of and all that. But, well when I rode it I just was not that taken. I was not sure what to think. It was very loud, I guess that was off-putting but that's not what was bothering me. On the way home I decided that I guess it just did not have the magic I was looking for. Not sure what was missing but somehow the spark was not catching.

I sort of tabled the idea of a second bike / sumo in general after that, perhaps it was that I really like my SV650 and the DRZ would never be an adequate replacement.

Fast forward a few hours and WR guy text'ed me. I was not really thinking about bothering to look but had a free evening so what the hell, one more try. Three bikes, three days. Why not.

Wow! This must be what sumo is all about. I will not lie, love at first site. Who ever converted the WR did a great job. It was not the current owner, he bought it from a shop in Grand Junction just last month and has to sell it along with another bike to help his family who's business is going under or some such sob story. I liked this bike way to much before I rode it, and after I rode it I was quite taken. It is everything the DRZ is not. Absurdly fast, the throttle was snappy as a blah blah blah... (insert a bunch of Jeremy Clarkson metaphors here) I love this bike.

The bad:

Something wrong with the front disk, not sure what, it does not feel wrapped but, "sticky" on some parts. Never felt something like this but I think its minor

A little stutter at one RPM range, again, minor. Probably needs Jets cleaned or perhaps rejeted, think I could fix it or at least pay a shop a few hundred to tune it.

Guy before me how test rode it broke the tail light assembly, and did not tell the owner, he olny found out after the guy left, so no tail lights rear turn signals. To bad, the unit looked like it was nice before it was crushed.

Suspension. I am pretty sure it stock dirtbike set up, I imagine if I got it this would be the most expensive fix. I think new springs, valves, oil etc... I think it could wait though, not something that makes the bike unridable

Spedo cluster was not working, it powered on but was not hooked up.

No key? I guess you have to add an ignition key, otherwize anyone can just come start and take the bike!

Probably some other stuff I can't think of

The good:

Twist wrist, holy poo poo! Do I need anything else?

Need to sleep on this and collect my thoughts. I feel like I should by this bike, I don't think I would miss my SV650 at all if I had this. Have not had anything like this feeling on any of the other candidates. $1000 topend rebuilds every few years aren't that bad....

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Logic and reason won the day. I decided to get the DRZ.

gently caress no, WR450 is on the way!!!

Should have the deal done in 2 - 3 days. I expect I will have it go right to a shop to sort the carb and jetting, I would rather pay a pro and be ready to ride then dick around for days weeks trying to get it right myself.

Sorry if I sound half retarded, something about these bike makes my brain turn mushy. I am a pretty slow conservative all around rider, ATGATT, I don't often speed, safety first and all that. I've been riding for 5 years or so all together, spread out over the last 15. MSF and an intermeedeate course, so don't think I am going to kill myself with a new sumo. But I won't lie, I want to learn to pull a those long rear end wheelies and I stoppy my SV all the time so I think some slow speed stunting would be cool.

So happy, can't wait.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Probably Hates You posted:

Welp, I did it... This is pure motorcycle happiness.

That is a very nice looking bike, you sound happy. Me thinks I made a good decision getting into this sumo thing.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
This is the post where I introduce you to my new WR450:

It's awesome, I love everything about it. Got it Thursday night, road around. Friday road to work and took the long way home. Today I got to take it up Boulder Canyon and off some side roads as well (Gold hill if know the area around Boulder CO) Holy poo poo. This bike is so fast around turns it is crazy. I have no working speedo so I don't know how fast I was riding but is feel 2x faster then I have ever been on my SV. It probably was not, but man it felt fast. I could have gone a lot faster as well if I had no common sense or was squidy. I started to hang my front leg down MX style in the tight stuff, it felt so cool. Dirt! Dirt roads I would never take my SV on were my playgound. I must have spent a good 10 15 miles dicking around on the dirt. Felt like a little kid.

I keep thinking, no matter how impractical this bike is I made a good choice. Only rode it 3 -4 times and it is already more fun then anyother bike I have owned.

It's really hard to write this post, see below

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 9, 2012

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

how impractical this bike is I made a good choice.

This is the post where I cry like a little girl.

Pretty sure my topend is gone... I was back in town going 30 - 40mph down a road and the bike dies. Thinking not much of it, I pull over to a medium and try to restart. The battery has been dead so I have been kicking it over, but all the riding had the battery charged a bit so I try to fire it up. Then I think, could I be out of fuel? It was running a little spotty I guess and I have had a FI bike so long I don't think about the petcock reserve until just then. Swap to reserve and start kicking since the battery is dead again.... sort of puts up then dies a few times. Then it is really hard to kick. I am 220lbs, more with gear on and I can't get it over. I put it in like 4th or 5th gear to roll it and it's really hard. But, hey, this is a high compression racing engine so it's all good. Kick and fire it up, on the throttle and down the road. For a block or two. Then the same thing. I get it started again and after, I guess 30 seconds or so (at this point I am little fuzzy because I was hot as hell in my one peace leathers hemet gloves boots and had been kicking the bike over on and off for 5 minutes) it runs really crappy and sounds like an engine should not sound. Clanking metal on metal. I think I heard 2 - 3 good clanks, then killed it. They were not super loud, but nothing that it should have sounded like. And it hits me, my jokes about my engine exploding are likely coming true on the 3rd day of owning my bike :(

Lucky me, I have a friend with a trunk who is close and he comes to pick me up, we drop the bike off at Colorado Power sports Boulder, I have gone to the Thornton store for years and it's the same owners so I hope they do me right... 2 hours shop labor to get a look around the topend and see whats what. Wish me luck, I should know the damages Tuesday or Wednesday. Guy said a full topend rebuild is around $1100 - 1500. Trying to be nice, he said "Wait until we see whats what, it may not be so bad" I hope I turned if off soon enough to mitigate any really back damage. I was still running so that is good right?

I was not even going to ride this weekend. I was going to take it to the shop on Monday and have them check valves and give it a once over. Mom called and said "Bring the kids over (my kids), go for a ride on your new bike!" Thanks Mom.

TL;DR My new WR450 most likely sent is valves through the piston or something equally bad and I am not happy :(

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

Well, good news is they're very easy to work on and parts are plentiful. When it's sorted, you'll know the bike really does have a 'fresh rebuild' and it will be trouble free for a long time to come. It sucks but take it as an opportunity to improve on what you already have. It'll rise again, and you'll love every minute. Sometimes relationships have a bit of a rough start...

This is what I am hoping. Not sure why but Im still thinking positive about this whole thing, perhaps it's since it was such a fun ride and only broke-down at the end. I did have around $1000 budget for larger gas tank, rear rack, shop tuneup, new rotor, sprockets, new trail computer, etc... so I'm not totally screwed. I guess I will just hold out until I hear back from the shop. If it was super bad I would guess the motor would not run at all so perhaps it's not to bad. I don't know a lot about engine failures but I do know all the basics of how an engine works. So, what would go bad on a engine like this? Failed timing chain or the chain slipped a sprocket causes cams to go wonky and valves get out of whack? Just a guess, sort of pulling that out of my rear end. I think topend since it was still in gear and running putting power to the wheels when I turned it off. Tranny still shifted no problem after it was off.

Jabs, not sure if you remember but my son and I rode our bikes to your house around two years ago to help you work on the forks on your KLR. Did not help much, just hung out with you and a few other goons I did not know. Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with CPS. I have had pretty much the exact opposite experience. I also have never got good vibs from SUN, never had work done from them, I just never liked anyone I talked to at the place. I guess you find good and bad people everywhere.

No need for the I told you so's, I have been doing it plenty to myself for the last few hours :) I did hug my SV when I got home, she never let me down, not once in 4 years. Keeping my chin up, I'll just drink lots for the next few days.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

JP Money posted:

I already told the guy I was gonna pass but drat that thing would be fun. It's a shame every KTM owner I run into while searching has been a complete douche. I hate enabling snobby bike owners and prefer to just pass them over.

Jim Silly-balls beat me to it, but.... Um, yeah, pass is a good move.

No work on my WR, shop should have a look Tuesday or Wednesday.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
"My bike exploded"

Got word back on the WR450. Main bearing is toast, the lower end is gone. Piston is toast, so the topend is done! Lucky me I get a whole engine rebuild. Headwork, new valves (maybe all 5) New piston, ring, rod, etc... hone cylinder walls, some other stuff and a shitload of labor.

Costing more then 50% what I payed for the bike. Looking on the bright side, I will have a brand new engine to abuse and not worry about.... still paying less then a new WR would have cost.

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it, but i wish I would have had a year or so before this happened. I'll try to stop buy the shop and take some pics of the failed parts if I have time in the next day or so.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Still no pics, the engine is not out yet. The shop said they would take them for me. As far as going after the guy I got it from, I truly think he did not know it would grenade on me. If he did I doubt he would have been giving test rides to me and at least one other, I sure would not have if I was dumping a bike with engine problems.

That leads to the other point. I am pretty sure if someone called me up 3 days after buying a bike from me and said that it had whatever problem, I would say "drat, that sucks..." but I don't think I would do anything for them. It's not that I am a bad person and I have never sold a car or bike thinking it had a major issue and tried to get more then it was worth, I would not do that. Hell, I sold my old pathfinder to my nice for $250 bucks because I thought it was well past it's expiration date (200,000 miles, bad oil leak for at least the last 20,000) I could have easily sold it for a grand or more. But, no warranty / as is means just that. So I don't feel like I have any right to ask for anything. I just had bad luck. Well, that and I bought a racing bike with an engine that had a rep for not being anywhere near as reliable as a road bike.

Of course I was pretty pissed, but I think I have come to peace with it. Hell, I'll have a brand new engine and the rest of the bike is awesome so good times :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Good news on my WR450 engine rebuild. So, the head got back from the headshop and did not need any new valves! I guess just needed valve seats cut and not much else. Saved me around 3 hundred. Finnaly catching a little break on this bike.... I'll take it.

Still waiting for the new crank and the cylinder wall ended up needing a nikasil coating so waiting on that work as well. If I am lucky it will be ready sometime next week. I guess I am excited about having a brand new engine, I'll be a sumo rider yet :)

No pics yet, I might make it to the shop this week, I have a new front sprocket I ordered before the thing blew, so I figure they can put it on for me. Going from a 13 to 15 tooth. The rear is 48 or 50, don't remember. I will probably change the rear to a 46 if its at 50 now or 44 if its at 48.

• Locked thread