Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Confirmed: DRZ's hold up pretty good to being 12 oclocked. Shift lever and tail light took 85% percent of the damage.

\/\/\/ Yes, it came out looking exactly like that. Down to the tape job.

I give it an A+, would loop again.

"Would <blank> again" isn't a probatable phrase is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I've ridden both, the drz feels quite a bit lighter and more nimble, but it could really use a sixth gear. The Ducati is heavy (in comparison to the DRZ), but the extra 50hp over the drz is pretty nice.

I'm thinking about getting a KTM 690smc, which is lighter than the DRZ, but sits between the DRZ and Hypermotard in both power and price.

While I'm here, I backed it in on my BMW K75S this morning.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I test rode a Husqvarna SM510R this week, and Oh my god! I didn't try to do a single wheelie on my test ride, but the Husky was having none of that and did wheelie every time I even thought about touching the throttle.

I think I could handle valve checks and oil changes every 1500 miles, but the connecting rod needing to be replaced at 6,000 miles? I mean, the connecting rod? Really?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Oh gently caress it, I'll just by a new one every year. :)

Edit: What are the chances I'll even make it 6000 miles before I bust it into a million pieces trying to jump a dumpster.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 26, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Drewby Drewby Drew posted:

No wheelies, I promise.

You might have trouble keeping that promise.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I hope he gets some new suspension components to swap the SV between road race and SM, then starts winning motos on the SV.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Judging Ducatis based on what NCR can do isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Also, if it's cheap enough, I'll be looking seriously at 796 Hyper.
Throw on a titanium frame and carbon fiber wheels, pretty soon your talking real money.

The monster 1100 and the Hypermotard 1100 are both $11995. So it should cost about the same as a monster 696, 8995.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Did you mean 600 mile valve checks? Cause 6,000 isn't too bad at all. I think the biggest con for the "race-ready" sumos is that a lot of them seem to blow up before 5000 miles. I love my Husky but there is always the worry that it will simply destroy itself one day, so much so that I'm trying to save money for that reason.

As for the law, it's true that cops want to know about these bikes. I got nailed doing 50 in a 25 down a backroad and the cop asked a bunch of questions about the bike, then wrote me for a 35 in a 25 and said he'd allow me to plead no points in court. I was quite amazed.

As for the exhaust, I think mine is done breaking in my boot:

I should have paid more attention to this post, my Husky burnt a huge chunk out of my boot today.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 5, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

In my experience with supermoto, if your rear is sliding out, you are already on the throttle and your body position should already be in place to manage the slide.

Stay on the throttle, and when the wheel catches traction, enjoy the power wheelie and start braking for the next turn...

That's true for a slide on corner exit, which is also good fun :), but I'm thinking Slim is referring to a slide on entrance. Aka, backing it in. In order to back it in you need to be hard on the brakes, as you ease out the brakes on the way to the apex, (trail braking) the rear end sort of works its way back in line. You get on the throttle at the apex, and if you did it like a badass you just ended your slide.

If you haven't stopped your still sliding when you get back on the throttle it will shake and a half-hearted attempt to send you sailing, but unless the rear is stepped out really far it's not going to throw you off.

I've found when I try to back it in I blow the corner and run wide like 30% of the time, so I'm faster keeping the tires hooked up.

BTW, I'll be at the track in about an hour if you want to come out.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You don't need dirt tires unless you're going to be doing real off-road riding. If you want to tear down poorly maintained dirt roads the SM will do just fine. A set of 17" Avon Distanzia's will handle just about anything short of a mudpit.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

So what options are there for lowering these bikes a bit without killing the handling and ground clearance? Or should I just buy a milk crate to tote around and quit being a pussy? I'm 5'6 with a 28-29" inseam.

Slide your but off to one side so you can put a foot down at stop lights. Cut away some seat foam.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

My kickstand is one bolt away from rattling completely off. Supermotards, The weight sheds itself.

Not to mention the license plate.

That DRZ needs a brake system upgrade.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

So turns out it is a stock 400 motor with cams, crank, piston, shims, flatside, exhaust and all the other goodies.

That's a funny definition of stock.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

An entire Sunday afternoon spending riding sumo is hard to beat. Rooftops, 3ft deep puddles, train tracks, loading docks, cement factories, mud trails, state parks, huge parking lots and puddles that were more like river crossings all made this a great evening.

Don't forget cutting through warehouses. Exploring industrial districts is the best.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

cmorrow001 posted:

will probably kill anyone riding them.

Still worth it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://stores.ebay.com/MOTOSAVEdotCOM-1-866-930-6686_Supermoto-Tires_W0QQ_fsubZ1179562012QQ_sidZ6070982QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

No affiliation, just a Christmas shopping tip.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

samglover posted:

What are the odds on the DRZ getting an update in the next two years?

No changes for 2010, and none being imported to the U.S.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles.aspx?year=2010

2011 will see either the canceling of the DR-Z, or an update to fuel injection. (The current DRZ does not meet emissions standards for 2010.)

Suzuki has a lot of momentum with the DR brand that they won't want to go to waste, I think we'll see a completely new DR-Z (probably based on the RMZ) a year from now.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Maybe a DRZ-400SM TDI Fahrenheit Edition.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

A supermoto is like having a Lotus Exige with monster truck wheels.

Baja truck on slicks.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Drill another hole in the plate and safety wire or ziptie it to the bracket. Leave the tie loose you just want it to catch the plate if the bolts back out, or the plate breaks. Krakkles, you'll want to get on this right away :haw:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You're better off getting a dedicated dirt bike, the DRZ is heavy, swapping wheels and brakes will be a bit of a pain, and you'll beat the poo poo out of your street bike. Go pick-up a mid 90's Japanese 2-stroke for $500.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75QSH1T4Vs&feature=related

This can't end well.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHOx-O1oJ9M&feature=related

Actually it went just fine. Have we found the MSF's replacement for the Blast?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
So I got a KTM 690SMC. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You came to wrong thread to ask that question, it's a little biased in here :D
In short only if you're riding 50% or more off-road.

The S can take knobby tires so it will handle better, and have a usable front brake, in the dirt. On the road you won't be able to get the same sticky tires you can on the SM, the front brake is really not up to the job, and the suspension is too soft.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Now, I plan on buying a DRZ SM and also doing some trail riding. Would it behoove of me to invest in some 400E forks to swap out when I plan on going off road. I also plan on investing in some secondary wheels with some dirt oriented tires.

No, spend that money on another SM front brake so you don't have to swap rotors.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Buy the Husky, the front brake alone is worth it. The sixth gear alone is worth it. The power increase alone is worth it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Also a soon to be happy new owner. Saturday I'm pinking up a KTM 620 SX converted and tagged already. 12 hour drive on Friday. Can't Wait

Don't paint it pink!:gay:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

stizu posted:

the maintenance on the DRZ is pretty much like a car.
What car even has a valve lash check on the maintenance schedule anymore. Maintenance on the DRZ is like other street bikes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

My DRZ total:

- 12 O'clocked by a friend doing wheelies on a cement lot in the middle of nowhere (Stunta training what what), total damage: destroyed rear tail light, scratches.
- Crashed in the mud by same friend, total damage: none
- Dropped taking a turn on wet grass by myself, damage: none
- Dropped in ORV park on twisty muddy trails 3 times, total damage: forks rotated, easy fix.
- Low sided by my brother on gravel, no damage
- Low sided 4 times at track day by friend, scratches and character only damage
- high sided at 55 by brother, bike slid off the road into ditch. No damage.
- high sided again by brother at track, shifter punctured through case gaurd causing small leak. Resealed in the garage with some goop, no issues 3k miles later.

So the total sum of replaced parts after all that crashing is the stock tail light... replaced with edge tail.

DRZ's kick rear end. The bike doesn't look rough. Just some scratches in the dirt bike plastics and beat up hand guards.

Edit: Very possible I'm missing one or two crashes. Not counting half a dozen (at least) drops on grass, gravel and mud just doing stupid poo poo.

That must have been one awesome wheelie :golfclap:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

These guys are loving flying. Just...insane.

Yeah but did you see these? Holy poo poo, these guys aren't really very fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXm1J_xnv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9b0JxfwyM

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Is...is that thing stretched?

It does look a bit long, it is a 660 though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

I dunno, my Husky is supposed to be twice the horsepower of your DRZ and popping the clutch only floats the front end a couple feet (provided I'm leaning back). Then again, when I first got it I sat way back and almost crashed wheelieing around a turn.

Has it been "powered-up"? The carbed ones come with a cap over the accelerator pump, and a throttle stop. If doesn't feel way faster than a DRZ something is not right.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Supermotojunkie classifieds, Motostrano, thumpertalk classifieds and store.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had my first race on Sunday, unfortunately the camera only recorded during the practice session :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalBJPkKUMo

We ended up racing the full arena cross course, but I only took one lap in practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcqVm7QGTIY

Maybe I broke it when I highsided, but don't tell Spiffness.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 21, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I just had a guy over to check out Spiffness's DRZ since he's out of town. I told him the Husky is the best bike I've ever ridden, then did lot's of wheelies on the KTM when I showed him around for a test ride. Probably not the best sales strategy, but I'm not making commission. Everyone who comes over to check out the DRZ leaves wanting a 690SMC.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Well, I could have made a 35 step walk through ala the ninja 250 wiki, but I prefer to just...you know, tell you how to do it ;)

Also, why do I always wheelie best in the mornings? It makes no sense, but for some reason I can always rock these beautiful BP second gear clutchups when I'm still groggy in the mornings.

That's really interesting, because I'm the opposite. I do my best wheelies after I do a bunch of coke.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I'm running 15/41 and it doesn't want to power up the front in first anymore.

You're in luck, Spiffness is holding a wheelie seminar in early July.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Cross-post from the 2010 Race thread... http://www.supermotos1.com/TV/Default.aspx?VideoID=Y0lEPTEwMTE5ODMmYXBJRD0xMDAzNTAy

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Got my upgraded brake caliper (Ducati style)

Do you mean this Brembo caliper? Ducati used this caliper before they went to the radial mount, but there's nothing Ducati specific about it.

http://www.motostrano.com/brsubrkitle2.html

You might need to get a Brembo rotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PadreScout posted:

Hey, can you SuMo out any bike? Cause I'm thinking one of those Aprilia 450MXs would be a loving hoot on the road. You need what? Headlight, turn signals and brake lights?

http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/20985/SXV+4.5+-+5.5/Overview.aspx

In my opinion no bike is really a Supermoto if you can't/shouldn't jump it. You need 17" or 16.5" wheels, a bigger front brake, and some suspension work. The MXV would make a great race bike, and an very fun but high maintenance street bike. Just like the current SXV.

The MXV must be new, I wonder if they will base an updated SXV on the new MXV frame and engine.

• Locked thread