Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well the previous owner of my DRZ wants to buy it back...I'm kind of tempted so I can buy something less practical.

So if I wanted something that could be found used for under 5k what would CA recommend? It won't see commuting, I've got the SV for that. It won't see much off road other than mild gravel roads, I've got the KDX for that. It WILL see a lot of time at the gap/dragon, track days and an occasional ride to work (25 miles backroads).

Right now I am thinking KTM, Husky or maybe if I'm feeling really stupid Aprilia.

The Husky 610 or KTM 6** would be a good choice if you wanted a lower maintenance bike, but they weigh in at 310-330 lbs. But you don't need a bike that can take a lot of miles so don't get one. On the track, the KTM 690 handles like a Goldwing compared to my Husky SM450R. Choosing between a 450 and open class supermoto, you may as well go for an open class, you'll be able to use the extra ~10 Hp on the street.

I think the Husky SM510R is the best pick. The Aprilia's reliability problems are solved (and the 4.5 was solid, the 5.5 had issues) however valve checks are very time consuming because they can't be done with the engine in the frame. Valve checks on a Husky can be done in 20 minutes.

The KTMs are great too, but the 450 and 530SMR were never street legal, so you can only get a Supermoto converted EXC. These need three changes, wheels, front brake, and suspension, but the suspension is often left stock. If you see a good one go for it.

The Husky has two short comings, no factory slipper clutch, and a stock 4.25in rear rim (it should be on a 5in wheel).

Other brands... Husaberg, TM, Gas Gas all make good supermotos, you're just not likely to see one for sale.

If you get any competition supermoto for street use, do consider getting an oil cooler and radiator fan. The oil cooler will double the oil capacity and allow longer times between changes.

Zool fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Primo Itch posted:

To be honest i never had real gung to clean up. At most month-old gung, because really, even a week without firing the engine will dirty-up your carb with our gas.

@slim : Acetone ? poo poo, i have tons sitting around in the garage. But really, acetone is cheating, nothing can resist it, its a mean, mean, mean cleaning machine. I had never thought about using it to clean carbs, well, live and learn, right ? :)

new page, so sumo content : The border of my back tire is hitting my exhaust when the suspension compress on small jumps/big holes/etc, so this week i`m going to the metal working shop (any one word expression for that ?) to get something like this (the black piece) done:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Will that gently caress-up my handling too much ? I plan on doing it just long enough to stop the tire from hitting the pipe...

Can you feel it happening, or is it just leaving a black mark on the silencer? A little tire muffler interaction is no big deal, it happens on most supermotos. If you can tell when the tire hits the muffler the standard fix is to space the muffler out from the subframe.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

If you never jumped it or rode it up stairs/curbs/gardens, it'd probably be the better street ride. I like having stupid amounts of suspension travel and the Duke is definitely a sumo inspired standard and not a supermoto. I wouldn't want to hop curbs/offroad and stuff on it, basically, and that's most of the fun I've had on a sumo. Not saying it's not capable, because it's probably better off than your typical sportbike, but it's definitely not designed for it. It's not a bike where you're going to crash it, laugh, pick it up, kick the dirt off, and keep riding it. Half the fun in sumos is that they are practically indestructable.

I'm pretty sure a Duke with bar end and axle sliders is about as indestructible as an SM model. If your plan is to ride an awesome, flickable, light weight bike, with gobs of torque on a twisty asphault road you can't go wrong with a Duke II or 690 Duke. The Duke I is good too, but a bit ugly. Although on the upside the tach counts off in "Beats per Minute" instead of RPM. I would pick a bike with an LC4 over the DRZ every time.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ari.gato posted:

Duke 2 and the Duke 690 looks bangin. Would both (either?) of them be able to make it to about 85mph? Checked CL in L.A. and there's one Duke 2 available. I checked KTM's site and I guess they're discontinued as well. Time to start the search.

It'll do about 115. 85 will be comfortable*. Yeah, the Duke 690 replaced the Duke II. The 690 makes almost twice as much power as the DRZ, and the brakes are at least that much better.

Engine vibration won't be too bad, wind blast on the other hand...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to watch :( a Supermoto race this weekend.

The fastest guy out there got pretty darn sideways.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Get the stock exhaust along with it if he has it. My 690 SMC came with a Leo Vince exhaust, and a 'remapped' stock ecu. It was noticeably down on power until I put the stock exhaust on. Unless it has a power commander or tuneboy the Leo Vince exhaust will cost you power. Other than that, go for it.

Actually gently caress that you should get one of these.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/1814064945.html

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=91000

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I learned today that a slipper clutch is the poo poo for backing it in. And that a KTM 690 SMC really is a phenominal bike. Goddamn fast.

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

It's also the first bike I've ever ridden where I thought the factory gearing could need to be a little taller. First gear is hilariously useless.

Z3n got on my 690 and immediately did an accidental wheelie, nearly going over backwards.

Also the 690SM weighs about the same as a DRZ at 325ish, the 690 SMC weighs 20lbs less. A race 450 weighs in between 240 and 260 lbs.

Cristoff, I haven't ridden the 690SM, but if it doesn't feel nimble you could try adjusting the suspension, or maybe even your riding style. Are you sitting mostly upright and leaning the bike beneath you in tight corners?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

KTM 625 SMC
KTM 660 SMC
Aren't these just the older versions of the 690? Anything with an LC4 is primarily a street bike, and not in the holy poo poo this a real SM category.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

How are they for just casual commuting? I won't be dragging my feet, track days, etc. I'll do the occasional canyon and maybe trail/gravel ride. I already have to make a bit of an effort to shift/brake. Especially braking. How is walking around in them? Are they just too much of a boot for the casual rider?

Buying Tech 7's for commuting would be total overkill, and offroad boots are extremely awkward to walk in. Pop down to the store and try a pair on.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Do people on ride dirt bikes in your area? Offroad boots are much stiffer than on road boots, making shifting and rear braking harder. I've found alpine stars boots to be especially stiff, I tried on a broken-in pair of tech-8s and hated them. I prefer the less stiff, less expensive, and less protective, Fox Comp-5. For racing and track days, if I'm not jumping the bike I wear street boots.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

Edit again: double gently caress you guys so is the CR250 :qq:

Because you're also getting a 450exc?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

A newer, slightly nicer CR250 but don't tell anyone I'm getting that instead of a trackbike :ssh:

What's a cr250 if not a trackbike?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Fofalooza posted:

How well off would I be going with a sumo and aggressive dual sport tires for an extended and not very technical off road riding trip? What are the big differences between a supermoto and a dedicated dual sport, like a KLR? You guys seem to really know your poo poo so who better to ask :) I've always wanted a supermoto as a dick around bike and after this trip, I'd probably get another set of rims with real road tires or knobbies to keep my options up. Any bike recommendations?

You can ride off-road on any bike you want.

Will there be mud involved? You'll be fine on an SM with dual sport tires (distanzias give enough traction to wheelie on gravel road), until you get to mud. Then it gets hairy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fir7Lt2lwow#t=5m40s

More supermoto mud action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N7gkgOP0IQ

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 26, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Zool posted:

quote != Edit

Hey look, someone racing a 690SMC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPbSiUfS9k&feature=watch_response#t=0m36s

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Contiforce SM, superb grip on the track, and they do well in the wet too. I just got a new set for my SMC

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The 690SM is a few pounds heavier, has softer suspension, the swing arm is more difficult to clean, and the fuel fill is at the front.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Dubs posted:

How in the hell have those sliders not rattled off yet? mine were gone in weeks.

06 is post the 'lol-orange-gearbox' period right?

DRZ's had orange gear boxes?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

Also, tire sizes. The OEM rear tire (which is still on the bike...) is currently a 160/60. It _barely_ clears the chain. Would it be better to stick with the 160 rear or drop down to a 150?

By SM standards barely clears the chain is doing pretty darn well. A lot of bikes are in the "the chain will make it's own clearance" territory.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The only routine maintenance difference is the valve check interval. Expect to check the valves three times for every two on a DRZ. You can also expect adjusting the valves to be about half as difficult (cam shafts do not need to be removed).

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The KTM SM crew is getting pretty big, that's like six now right? Needknees, maybe you should get a goldwing.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

http://www.motostrano.com/sucokibabo.html

This is the kit I'm looking at specifically.

I'm located in Wenatchee so I'd be looking at the Tri Cities or Seattle + maybe where they do the flat track stuff.

I also happen to own a rather large parking lot as well :).

My bike is resprung and when you crank down the compression it does firm up a bit. I'm not against buying a dedicated sumo bike, but I didn't think my YZ would be too far off.

I take it you want to be able to swap back to dirt wheels? Otherwise you can save a bit by lacing 17s onto your stock hubs.

You can get by with a dirt front fork, but you will find it's limits and want something better set up for SM as you get faster.

You should start with a proper brake system, using a 4-pot caliper. The stock dirt caliper, even with a 320mm relocation, just isn't up to the job. Brembo or Beringer are choice. The brake upgrade is expensive if you buy new parts, but if you look out for deals on used parts you can come out of it fairly cheap.

Pro-tip the same caliper I have on my Husky was used on Ducati Monsters from like 1994 to 2002.

If you haven't been cruising the SMJ classifieds, you should start.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?73-Bike-Parts

And while you're on SMJ, don't forget to stop by the Washington forum. Mention you're converting a YZ250 on there, I think someone might have some YZ 17"s for sale.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?26-Washington-Supermoto-Forum

There is now a track Yakima,I don't know how often it will be open for practice, but there were a few races there this year, as well as one in Ephrata.

Zool fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 1, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

Engine work is cams, piston, shims, valves, flat sides, exhaust, crank. All the good bolt on's but no big bore or anything like that.

I assume that's a high lift cam, what about the rest of the parts? What does piston, valves, and crank mean? Did you just swap in a few new stock parts? Oversize valves? Pink piston? Cantankerous crank? Sounds like you blew up the engine and rebuilt it, not exactly a selling point.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

After taking a spin on the CBR last night the difference in braking between the it and the KTM is astounding.

Anyone have suggestions on brake pads for my 625? I'm not having much luck finding stuff for it :(. I'd really like to go with a set of RLJs but it doesn't look like they make one for my bike. Maybe that caliper on the 625 is used on another bike and I could cross reference them or something?

I've always been happy with EBC pads, I think they're the OEM ones. They are probably just glazed over. Be sure to pull off the rotor and clean it, then break in the pads properly. The KTM will have a lot of brake dive compared to the CBR, but I assume you mean it actually isn't stopping as quickly. Does the 625 have braided brake lines?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jazzzzz posted:

690 SMC was delivered yesterday. I haven't even been able to even ride it around the block because the bike got here before the title, etc. (had the bike shipped).

Coming from the FJR, I can already tell it's going to be a big change in riding style just from riding it up the driveway/around the yard a bit. If I take this thing on any rides longer than an hour or two it's going to need some more foam/a new seat, the stocker is like riding a lightly upholstered 2x4. My bony rear end isn't up for that.

You just have to give it some time to break in.

Not the seat, your rear end.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

henne posted:

On a saner note, this is on craigslist right now. I know info is short in the ad but does it look like a decent bike at a decent price?

That's a girl bike.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You can put an aftermarket pipe on for a loss of all midrange power. It's a trade-off, lose power, gain noise.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

I'm lost. In 07 The 690 was introduced with the new motor and all. So in 07 there was the beaker 690 SM and some beaker SMC-R or SMC something? I remember seeing one on craigslist. Then in 08 there was the SMC with the completely different body style....and a regular SM? Then in 09 there's the enduro/SM? Same thing? AND SMC? I'm confused.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?92269-History-of-the-KTM-SMC-amp-Duke

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
If anyone's looking to spend 10 grand on a Supermoto, the FS570 has made it state side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNk6C-NI4k#t=6m14s

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

I find my 690 sm to be not very wheelie happy.

:can:
Here's what I know from SMC ownership, it probably still applies. Put on stock exhaust, make sure engine mapping is not on poor fuel mode, wire mod. Turn throttle all the way.

Zool fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 20, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

They are wheelie monsters, but every aftermarket exhaust punches a massive hole in the midrange. Backpressure is good if you want midrange, and midrange is good if you want wheelies. The akra map may give you a few more peak HP, but peak HP doesn't mean poo poo for the vast majority of your street riding.

DRZs are the same way, any open, loud straight pipe tends to blast a hole in the midrange.

:science:
Ever wonder why race bikes/cars have exhaust pipes at all? Back-pressure would be really low if you just unbolted the headers.

The exhaust pulse flowing down the pipe leaves a low pressure area in it's wake, this low pressure area reduces the amount of energy sapped from the crankshaft during the exhaust stroke by helping to "suck" the next exhaust pulse out of the cylinder. The rpms where the low pressure wave will meet the exhaust valve right as it opens (and get the most benefit from this effect) depend on the exhaust gas velocity. Putting on an open exhaust will lower the exhaust gas velocity, and move this effect higher in the rev range. That could be good, or bad, depending on the bike. You certainly don't want it to occur at 10000rpm on a bike that redlines at 8500rpm.

My 690SMC came with a Leo Vince, and akramap installed, it was much much louder, and much much slower, than my roommates bone stock 690SMC. I doubt a tuneboy and dyno tune will be able to get you to the same torque output at 5000rpm (aka wheelie speed) as the stock bike.

If your SMC can't do this, http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiffness1#p/u/10/GrXgRtw_jR0 it's not right.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Everyone that doesn't own an SMC that doesn't buy that is stupid. :colbert:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

Yeah, in my opinion it boils down to a couple things. If you want a proper super light sumo that is nimble and easy to toss around get a drz. If you want a decent amount of power and torque with a little extra weight get a KTM. My 07 690 is pretty drat heavy and is hardly a sumo but I still love the poo poo out of it.

I know next to nothing about sumos as a whole and have never ridden a DRZ. But if I could trade my 07 690 SM for a 625 SMC and collect the difference I would. Instead I'm just going to get a 08-09 690 SMC in 6 months to a year.

The DRZ is not a "proper super light sumo" A 450 supermoto weighs in around 250lbs, the SXV is considered a (very powerful) porker at 280.

Any supermoto weighing over 300lbs is not light. Not to say that's such a bad thing in a street bike. I love my 690SMC, but at 308lbs (according to KTM), its a street bike, not a real supermoto.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Pinny posted:

We all know CA's thoughts on the DRZ but what does everyone think of the Husky 610's and the new 630's? They look to be a nice compromise between performance/maintenance, compared to something like the 450/510's that seem to drink oil.

The Husky 610 and 630 are much like the KTM 690, only not as good, but also a bit cheaper. I completely agree that they're the right compromise between maintenance and performance. I've ridden the 610 briefly, I thought it would make a great street supermoto, the suspension was a little soft but still better than the DRZ's. It's a bit down on power from the 690, which you'd expect given that it's also down on displacement. The throttle response was smooth, much better than the KTM in that area. Brakes are quality 4 piston Brembos, worlds apart from the DRZ. Six gears, another big advantage over the DRZ.

I've done a valve check on both a DRZ, and a Husky 450 which shares the cylinder head design with the 630. The DRZ is cam-on-bucket, meaning the camshafts must be removed to change the shims. The 630 uses rockers that can be moved out of position, allowing the shims to be changed without messing with the cam shafts. This saves a lot of grief and makes it a much quicker job.

The 630 gained about 20 lbs over the 610, but I expect that to be mostly in the exhaust.

(Don't ride the SM510, if you do you'll end up buying that instead)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

There's a pair of new "Husky" SMs out next year:

Basically they've taken a G450X and 'tarded it, and also made a big-bore model. The G450X is supposed to be a decent bit of kit isn't it? Although the placement of the coolant bottle seems a bit daft on something that's likely to end up on it's side at some point.

It's the G450X engine, the chassis was designed by Husqvarna though. I've noticed the crank horsepower is listed as 40, I'm certain thats a lie, my 450 dyno'ed 41 at the wheel.

It has a coolant bottle, my '04 just starts puking coolant onto the ground if it overheats, so you can't really complain about the placement.

FYI Adapting the BMW engine to the Husqvarna designs required an entirely new type of transmission. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o&feature=youtube_gdata

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

Well then may i suggest

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

TheDon01 posted:

As long as you maintain front wheel traction and stay on the gas you should be fine sliding around like that.

Backing it in is accomplished under braking with the throttle closed. If we're talking about sliding on corner exit, then what TheDon01 said is correct.

I would hate to see the crash when someone tries to back it in thinking the method is lock up the rear brake, then gas the poo poo out of it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

So how do you pronounce Husqvarna anyways? I was watching a German video and they clearly said "husk-var-nuh" even though I figured they would be saying the V like a W. If I'm not pronouncing it right how will I get any sumo street cred?

hoos-kvarna

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Z3n gets on 690. Starts it. Flips down visor. Clicks it into 1st gear. Immediately 12 o'clocks it. Total distance traveled: 20 inches.

Zool gets on DRZ. Starts it. Clicks it into 1st gear. Stalls it. Starts it. Stalls it. Starts it. Rides... wants 690 back. Total distance traveled 20 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I buy my bikes so that I can ride them though, not wrench on them.

ZX9R

• Locked thread