Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The 690 certainly is a ticket machine. Every time I check my mirror I'm half expecting red and blue, especially after taking it out for a few track days. The street is so risky/boring.

I did my first supermoto track day with spiffness last weekend, what a blast. I've never imagined such lean angles before. The 690 is great, all that power is unnecessary but enjoyable; comparable to a liter bike on a road course, as spiffness put it. I'm running the enduro model, and I've finally got my front fork damping figured out which reduced front wheel chatter big time. I have having a blast until...

I rode Zool's husqvarna 450. What a machine, its one goal is to drag peg. The lower weight and slicks make the bike shine. And the power/gearing is ideal. Supermoto is incredible! God my body is still sore, it's intense riding.

VV:dukedog:VV

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

needknees posted:

~48 hours till 690 :lsd:

I haven't seen this point mentioned, so lemme warn you - be careful of the exhaust! The stock can is dangerously hot. I've received and witnessed severe burns from that thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWjoXP01YQ

Have fun!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 8, 2011

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I wonder if they'll run the dirt section on the demo day. Inviting newbs to ride a 60hp sumo in dirt seems a little cruel.

Where are you located Henne? I have a trailer. I plan on being there.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Ive found this pdf to be helpful, and with pics!
right click, save link.
Regarding the ktm freeride, did I recall reading it wasnt coming to the states :( So says Cycleworld...

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 10, 2011

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Aargh posted:

Ive been pondering similar on my 690sm, for some reason i have in my head i think its just not accelerating hard enough.

I have a 690E with the 17" wheels, and the stock 15:45 gearing. It's short... In 1st you have to make an effort to keep the front down. It's ridiculous, but I love it.

The gearing doesn't make any major compromises for the freeway. In sixth it felt comfortable around 70mph (no tach).

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think I'm going to switch to a 15t on the front with my SMC when I next change chain/sprockets. The gearing is way too tall if you're stuck in traffic (a lot of our roads are too skinny to lane split). Making this thing even more prone to lift the front will be 'interesting'...

...and by 'interesting' I mean :supaburn:

Do it! You can change the throttle mapping through Tune ECU if you want more precise input at low throttle. Personally I leave it at the #2 setting, but I haven't ridden pavement for a while...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Repost from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3w-iZAJBcA

Police chase, or just another day on an Husky?

You know its not in the states when the police don't beat his rear end.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

mattfl posted:

I envy you. I've checked everyday on craigslist for like the past few months and I have NEVER seen a 690SMC come up anywhere in Florida. :(

Try reading the more specialized forums. They wont be as close but you'll likely see something... Supermotojunkies, ktm specific forums, maybe adv rider (probably only enduros at adv rider).

Good luck :unsmith:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Balance point Bros! It was fun in a chaotic way. I had a blast despite all the silly redneck stuff.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Pics are up from the Goldenspike Sumo race Spiffness mentioned :dance:

Me

Zool:

Spiffness:

The rest of the pics

My footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XuFaqTqVs

Spiffness on an open-pipe 690 to my right, Zool to my left. A lovely start put me directly behind 654CCs of unfiltered KTM. My head was pulsing, I had to get off that line...

Some drama in the third turn put me into 4th, I finished 3rd with a some challenge from the 4th place guy. The first heat I dropped from 2nd to 6th after dropping it in the woods 4 times. I slowed my pace in the 2nd heat. Luckily it was single track!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 9, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
We walked the course and put down a 30 minutes of practice in the morning, and it was still hard to navigate the ribbon. They had piles of cones that could easily clarify apexes, but..dirt bike guys don't get road racing. Like having a check point on the front straight :wtc:

But yea, we're grateful for the opportunity to ride! I'm itching for more... Our local super track is battling the courts.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Zool had good advice: ebay a bag of used skateboard wheels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboard-Wheels-2-Sets-/261040897560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc73ffe18#ht_500wt_1129

I bought 2' of delrin round stock and cut/drilled it, but that was excessive. The skateboard wheel route is way easier:
http://www.professionalplastics.com/DELRINSHEET-ROD

Sucks about your friend's balls, yikes!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The local riders forum (pnwriders.com) threw some cones down in a parking lot and held a "skills refresher" day. On the 690 those challenging MSF-like cones made a great super moto course :v:

I kept my foot up initially, expecting an MSF mindset/instruction, but couldn't resist the urge to race. I power-slid the rear out looking for the limits, but eventually found my groove.

It was surreal racing around in an MSF style environment. The spot is next to my job, too. Hopefully I can get a regular thing going..

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That looks insanely fun, yet so simple. Two pieces of debris and I have a course! Maybe after work tomorrow I'll go back...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm pretty sure the 2008 SMC is still 654cc. The 2012 SMC (which isn't in america) is the 690cc engine version.

Edit: sold, nvm.

$7500 is average, depending on your area. Supply is low (non existent in some areas). Buy it!

Old news since the SMR is gone, but Google found this:

quote:

my friend works for KTM and I asked him the same questions, here is his answer:

First off, we don't offer the SM's past 2007, just the SMR and SMC (which is new for the model year). The SMR and the SMC have completely different chassis geometry.

For riding styles, the SMR has a much more aggressive riding style, where at the SMC has more of a dirt-bike feel to it. With the SMR you will be forced to sit at the front portion of the seat and on the SMC you can ride comfortably at most any position of the seat. I'm not sure how tall you are, but if you are tall (over 6'2 or 3") you might find the SMR a bit uncomfortable. Either way, the SMC will be all-out more comfortable. It also has no subframe, as the plastic tank that resides under the seat doubles as the subframe. The fill hole for the tank is to the rear of the seat. The SMR, however, has the traditional top-mounted tank, so it may be slightly more top-heavy, although not that bad.

As far as handling goes, I'm venturing out on a limb to say the SMR has better handling all around due to how low it is off the ground and the suspension geometry. They both use a linked rear suspension and use a Trellix-style frame so they're very rigid. I haven't had a chance to ride an SMC yet as we don't have one in our Demo lineup. I am supposed to be taking delivery on one early this week, so when I get it uncrated and PDI'd, I'll snap a few pics for you. We had one in Vegas, but it was a loaner bike from Austria and they needed it back after the ride.

source

There is an abandoned/shut down elementary school near my house, I've been messing around on the flat top there recently. With the stock exhaust, lawn mowers drown my 690 out; I love the stealth. I was trying "gymkhana", weaving around a man hole cover and the state of Maine (those black top USA maps :v:). I'm looking forward to going back!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 22, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There are a handful of TuneECU maps for various configurations; akra slip on, the open evo airbox, and both. I have an FMF Q2 and even with the akra map there is still a small flat spot down low.

Eventually I'd like to take it to a dyno and have it tuned, but :10bux:x many.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The problem is the fuel outgassing through the tank. It outgasses under the paint and makes it bubble and fall off.

Even stickers will fall off unless they're perforated.

The only solution if you must color it is to dye it.

Consider vinyl wrap. It's cheap, clean and easy. Lots of Colors too:

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Colored-Vinyl-Wrap-Sheets-p/cwvinyl24.htm

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Gnaghi posted:

Would CA drive 5-6 hours round-trip to do a sumo race in the rain? I figure it's either an easier way to start getting comfortable sliding around or a horrible idea that will leave me hating my bike and myself.

I would try to trailer the bike... Riding the track is about not holding back, which risks a crash. Either you'll hold back and enjoy it less, or risk a crash and be hosed.

SO I did a 6 day ~1600 mile trip on the 690 with some friends:

Port ORFORD, OR

I know my bars aren't centered wanna fight?

Some bridge in OR

More photos

Seattle to Hood River, OR to Eugene to the coast, south to Nor Cal, North to Crater Lake, and Back. The 690 did better than I expected. The bike is roomy enough to stretch while riding and the sleeping bag was a great back rest. It only felt insufficient on I90 over the mountains for 5 hours in the wind.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Gnaghi posted:

Oh I'm definitely not riding there, Husky's going in the back of my truck. I was just wondering what to expect from a rain race day.

1600 miles on a sumo is a good stretch, what tires did you have on there and did they last? I'm gonna need to replace the distanzas on the WRX soon and would like to go the "sumo-touring" route.

Oh, I misunderstood. I've never done sumo in the rain, but I'd imagine tires and the pavement type would have a big role in how it'd turn out. Go for it!

I ran Q2s with starting out with 50% life left. The rear is really square and close to the wear bar in the center. The wet season is approaching here in Seattle so I'm thinking something like a pilot roads for street riding, but I haven't researched much.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
WR vs DRZ... It depends what you want out of it. The WR would be more fun in the twisties and sumo track, but less ideal for racking up the miles (but thats not what a sumo is for and you have the SV).

I wonder if the WR had the suspension switched to a street setup. I have that setup and it's cushy and good off road, but it suffers on the track. Lots of front end dive under heavy braking. It's not difficult to put new springs in but it's something to consider.

I understand that oil capacity is a limiting factor with legitimate dirt bike motards - don't they contain <1L? I've heard of KTM EXCs running longer intervals with oil coolers to add capacity.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Tenchrono posted:

Are drz-400s usually good in snow with knobby tires? Winter will be here in a few months in indiana and I'm trying to decide if I should wait till spring to get a new bike and get a truck now or if I'm able to get a bike now and not be stuck in the snow or tan off the road.

I've dirt biked in the snow and general knobbies aren't that great. You need studs or spikes. There are tons of different stud styles for varying conditions; it gets complicated. I abandoned the idea when I realized how crazy that'd be with other cars around.
http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/for-the-bike/tire-studs
woops 2x post

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
If only KTM did a "European Delivery" thing like the euro car companies...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Major bummer about the WR :( It looks like YZF/WR450 engines go for ~1400-3000 on ebay. Just something to keep in mind.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I did a 690 track day in the rain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLCRGiav8qA
(Cross post from the pic thread) I go down at 1:50

It looks like there will be a supermoto race at the local Nascar/MX track in two weeks! I hope I don't die!

The Blue is paved, the green is MX, and the red is probably a 60mph flat track corner. These conditions do not favor sport tires...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

eddiewalker posted:

I took the FMF Titanium 4 slipon off my DRZ. The thing hit 121dB on a cheap meter held 5ft away while revving in my driveway. It was uncomfortable to ride around town without earplugs, and brought way too much negative attention.

The FMF Q4 is waaaay quieter. Not ninja250 quiet, but it won't wake the neighborhood (I hope.) I haven't had time to barrow a meter again, but it says "96dB Max" on the can.

Is thumpertalk the best place to try and sell the Ti4? I really don't know a fair price since FMF doesn't seem to make it anymore and TT deletes every sold item in the for sale forum.

I'd spam it everywhere; supermoto junkie, thumper talk, drz forums, craigslist, ebay, even here.

Used FMF market anecdote: I've seen a 690 Q4Ti sit on craigslist for months, dropping from ~$300 to $150. I'm sure a DRZ exhaust will do better though as DRZs are more common.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I was running my 690 off road and I couldn't hear the stock exhaust in a pack of bikes. I used that to justify a Q4. Off road or on the track the Q4 sounds awesome, but it's terrible for the street. It defeats the whole purpose of a sumo; ripping around below the speed limit. Doing a wheelie is loving loud, which is the last thing I want.

I'm definitely not the first person to point this out, but it needs repeating.

In summary, keep the stock exhaust for the street.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I generally agree with you.

The thing that sucks about the stock DRZ exhaust is that part of what gives it its sewing machine-esque quietness is the fact that the header is pretty gagged up. The DRZ really perks up with the powerbomb header that comes with the full Q4 system, but then you lose the silence of the stocker.

I guess I'd be happy if I could find a middle ground between the stocker, and the full-on ear raping of the MRD/FMFTi/Yosh/etc. The DRZ gets really really loud with those pipes.

I can totally relate, I do go back and forth (the grass is always greener...) Right now I'm on the FMF and I'm about the switch :D

Edit:
I was messing around these pretty cool park/old warehouse place, glad I had the stock exhaust!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 16, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
KTM! :)

SuperDuke Talk:

That's a tough choice.

Lately I've been imagining what it'd take to build an RC4:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 1, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtI1Lg3Px_8

Those "gloves" :psyduck:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The akra system is crazy expensive, like $1800

It looks like the charcoal canister has been removed, so the bike has been modded to some degree. If those mods were done properly and tuned accordingly (thown on a dyno, not just the akra map) I'd argue it's value-added. Failing that, it's work for the buyer to sort out, and detracts from the value.

Those mirrors are nice, the seat is fugly ($200 for a new one if the stock isn't around), those lights are weird but easy to remove. There is something weird going on with the horn mount, too.

The luggage is worth a chunk of change, too.

Overall it's a fair deal. I imagine you can sell the luggage and Akra slip-on for ~$1k pretty fast.

Edit: Z3n has a good point about the rocker arms, I recall that was a factory defect present in the early generation LC4s and was resolved around this model year. Google up,ask the seller, and inspect. It'll take ~30 minutes to open it up.

Edit2: Steering stabilizer is an easy $400 on the right forums.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 28, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Nevermind, those are stock mirrors. They look nicer than the stock mirrors I received on my enduro. They break easily so stock mirrors is a good sign :)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I have the Trail tech X2 halogen light and it's plenty bright. I'm happy with it besides having to make a choice between street legal and the rock shield. I chose the rock shield but when I ride at night the spread is pretty harsh for smaller cars.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

MetaJew posted:

What's the mounting and aiming like? With the way the speedo, indicator lights, and wiring harness are I'm not sure how a "universal" light will fit. Also, does the x2 cone with a relay, and how do I know if my charging system can handle it?

The rock guard seems like the better choice. That sucks that it hurts the spread. Are visibility and light output still good for you?

It mounts via a rubber strap per fork tube and two holes in the fender. Placement of the fender holes will determine the aim.

Universal fit only applies to the connection to the harness, not the geometry of the ballast. It's not significantly different from a stock light, I wouldn't worry.

Relays are sold separately. The halogen x2 is 70W, Google advrider/smjunkies... Trail tech also sells upgraded stators.

The output is great, I'm satisfied. Trail tech has a comparison of output via photos, it's accurate.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Three motards picking their way through B group traffic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxqtsr6T0vc
I'm filming, Zool is in red, and a super fast dude on a bored out 450 joined us.

The fast guy said he routinely placed 3rd in regional motard races, but was new to road racing lines. We were surprisingly even with power and laptimes.

Track day footage without action is boring. Thankfully this has lots of action!

Zool goes off at 8:00 FYI

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I ran race tires at my last track day and there is no going back. Dunlop GP-As are a level above the street sport stuff (Q2s).

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
As good as any other slick. Also you're in the dirt 20 %?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Spiffness was riding a 690 in a two heat sumo race last spring, and the exhaust fell off in the first heat. On the second start I was directly behind him and his open pipe, 650ccs at WOT. My head was in pulsing in tune with his exhaust, my only thought was "MOVE".

Youtube doesn't capture the intensity but you can still hear the tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XuFaqTqVs&t=30s

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The manual says 10W50 or 10W60, but only Motorex. I recall reading the LC4 was intended for Motorex oil due to the Nikasil cylinder coating. Like all motorcycle oil recommendations it could be a bunch of bullshit, but the reference to specific technology was enough for me to buy into it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

JP Money posted:

I think I'd trust the setup, enough people out there that probably aren't very careful have had it work and even those that report small leaks around the spokes have done easy fixes by dropping in a few drops of loctite to seal them up with good results.

I'm more leaning towards the sealing tape solution as that seems easier / cleaner and reportedly seals much better at the cost of being a bit more expensive than a few tubes of silicone and some gorilla tape.

I've ghetto sealed my 690 rims with silicon sealant and gorilla tape and I'm never going back to tubes. Ghetto sealing isn't maintenance free, but I find many advantages compared to tubes. I've done a handful of trackdays and a 1500 mile road trip on sealed rims with minimal issues.

Advantages:
More reliable than tubes - I've had tubes wear a hole on the interior sidewall from heat cycles and track stress. Tubes are Timebombs (TM)
Cheaper - $20 a tube, $5 for silicon seal + good duct tape which isn't much to wrap a rim 3 times.
Easier repair - Anywhere that sells basic hardware supplies will be able to get you riding. Try finding a tube at 3am on a Sunday.
Weight - Not that I noticed but you can claim it

Downsides:
"Ghetto"
Can't set your bead with a bicycle pump
Prep time is longer - a tube just needs to be wiped down and you're good. Sealing requires you clean every nipple.

I followed this guide to the T and it worked nicely. The reliability of the seal correlates to the quality of your prep work. Do clean every spec of dirt in the spoke nipples. Don't go light on the silicon seal.

I have experienced some issues with this method, but it's always been due to me cutting corners. Water+soap lube from tire changes will eventually compromise the gorilla tape, and replacing that stresses the silicon seal, resulting in a ~5 psi drop overnight. Something that's fine for around town, but not track ready.

Spiff once asked "why not run tubliss" and the only response was price. If they sell motard wheel sizes, that's the ideal solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Slim Pickens posted:

I went to the Tri-Cities Kart Club with a handful of other goons last weekend, it was a blast, even though my bike didn't work for poo poo.

They let me borrow a 350XC with a trials tire on the front and a flat track tire on the back, though, so it was all good. It grips better than you'd think.

It was also a drat good showing. I'm bummed I'll miss the first race in the Cascadia SM series.

(Photos are by Gollous, I think. Or he might not be a goon at all)

My buddy and I went back to TCKC for Sunday's open practice following their race Saturday. We camp late, get breakfast, and return to everyone packing up! Nobody at the race wanted to ride Sunday so they cancelled, but they let us ride for 3 hours.

I'm still running dirt wheels, this time with a 21" slick made for cruisers (conti attack custom). It rode like poo poo, turns out motorcycle superstore sold me a 7 year old tire. Dropping the psi down to 17 it started to hold traction but still sketchy.

Having the track to yourself for 3 hour was a lot better than 15 minutes an hour for 8. We tried it backwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Pr1eLs9tU

• Locked thread