Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm to the point where I really want to find into a Sumo and let it consume my life completely. I'm currently on my beginner bike, a 1980 Honda CB650C (Honda Fours), and while it's great to learn on and in really good condition for its age, it's just not me.

I'm a small guy, so a lightweight bike is right up my alley, and I'm not speed-crazy and looking for a literbike to kill myself with.

ANYWAY, the consensus here seems to be "FIND A DRZ400SM", but there's only one in my Craigslist aura, and it's up for 5k. What's a reasonable price range to look for one? I know that's a very broad question, but is the scarcity of good sumos driving up the price a lot or are they really worth 4-5k? Aside from a DRZ, wouth any of the 230/250 range bikes be boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Zool posted:

I'd go for one of these (KTM 625 SMC)over the DRZ, you actually have to check the valves more than once a decade, but the extra power and handling is worth it. The vibration, well that's still up for debate.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/2357785373.html

I like the KTMs, and I've been actively looking for one for a while, but they're very hard to find around here. Grand Rapids isn't really close enough for me, but that is a sharp bike.

edit: I take that back, GR isn't THAT far for me (2.5hrs). I still have the ever-present problem of needing to wrangle someone with a truck to come with me on these kinds of trips though.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 22, 2011

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
So I'm looking at a KLX250sm now, and wondering if anyone has any words to talk me out of it? I really wanted a DRZ400, and there's one right next to it in the dealership, but it's really tall for me (I'm 5'8" / 155lb and had trouble getting a leg over in shorts, let alone riding pants)

A 250 seems like a small motor, but I'm really just tooling around town, doing 20mi rides out into the country, and I need a bike that's easier to live with. There aren't a lot of big, fun, fast twisty roads around here, and I don't have any friends that ride, so this would be more of a commuter/gently caress-around bike.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Well I'll take a closer look at the DRZ then. I looked up some stats for the KLX, and the power / weight ratio is way way way less than that of my current bike, which I feel comfortable riding on as a new rider - I think the KLX would probably be really slow, even for how I ride.

Not to mention that the DRZ was only a few hundred more than the KLX.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
06 DRZ650sm, $3600 with 5400mi.

I went in originally to look at that KLX250, saw what I thought was a DRZ400, turned out to be a 650 (which I didn't even know they made) It's still a bit tall, but they offered to install a new linkage to drop it a hair. Very nice bike, clean as hell. Anyone have any opinions on them? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

Well, there's no DRZ650sm. There's a DR650S, which has dual-sport wheels and tires. And in any case, don't. They're heavier with hardly any more power, and nowhere near the aftermarket.

drat that's disappointing. The bike looks like a full SM rather than a DS, but I'll take your advice. I really wanted a lighter bike anyway.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

nsaP posted:

The speedo cable being bad is a bit of a worry cause I have to trust his milage on it but ultimately I'll just have to size him and the bike up. I've been dying to join the sumo crowd, my FZ6 is boring for 95% of my riding and it rarely gets rung out. When I look up values though, I feel like his is worth a bit more than mine, so that worries me as well, given that he was potentially willing to throw in a 250 dirt bike in the deal. That makes me think it might be in bad condition, but I guess I'll find out when I go see it.

What kind of work is it to fix that if I get it. What do you think about this swap? And what should I look out for when I look at it/ what will it need?

I'm assuming you're in Indiana because I was looking at this same bike on CL. There have been a couple of good DRZs popping up in the Indy area lately - Fortville and Avon.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

nsaP posted:

He contacted me actually, I'm in NKY. Are we going to have fisticuffs over this? lol. I did a search for some recently but didn't see any ads. Care to post the link, I'm having trouble finding it.

No unfortunately. I've been looking for a Sumo for a few weeks now, but I don't have the facilities (pickup/trailer/hovercraft) to get one home. I'm in Northern Indiana, so that bike is about a 3hr drive.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

nsaP posted:

That's been my experience so far as well. Any that are close are all fairly new and out of my range, and all the 05/06s are a long way away.

Could you post the link to his ad that you saw tho? Just wondering if there is anything else there.

I can't find it now. Looks like he took it down.

edit: Found It

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
OK, taking another stab at this: Opinions?

The only issue is getting it home. I don't have easy access to a pickup and riding it home is basically not an option.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

If the bike isn't too far and the bike is still registered by the owner you may see if he is willing to ride it to your place if you purchase it.

It's 3 hours drive, so I highly doubt it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

soy posted:

why buy a bike you are not stoked about riding 3 hours solid on???

3hrs at 90% highway speeds, considering I've done scarcely that much on my current bike, which is much more "cruiser-y", I'm a little tentative.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Well, I did it. I was getting ready to bite the bullet on a bike 3hrs away when this showed up. Went and looked at it the next day, bought it 12 hours ago.

It's insanely clean, if a bit on the stunta side. Really the only upgrades it's missing are a seat and a possibly a lowering link (cause I'm shorter than the PO). I have to cram in insurance, registration, and plating tomorrow so I can ride it a bit before work.

Knocks are a scratched front rim and a broken electrical connection in the front left turn signal. The guy even delivered it, which was amazing and he gave me all the original parts as well.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I got my DRZ out and about today. Absolutely love it! It's like riding a mountain bike with a motor on it. Price was ok, but it has all the goodies on it, all the original parts, and he delivered to my house about 40 miles away - well worth not futzing over in my opinion. Anyway, here's some pictures!

I was worried about the seat height, but it's alright once the shock compresses, so I'm not going to get a lowering link. The only things it really needs are a new seat, some mirrors, and a sprocket cover for the front (which might be in said box of parts)

It's got a bunch of Acerbis bits, Zeta bars, levers, and handguards, FCR Carb, bigger EBC front brake, Yoshi slip-on, bigger Clarke tank and plastics, new chain and sprockets with taller gears, and some LED lights.

The PO went apeshit I think and hit ADD ALL TO CART on podiumsuperbike.com, but the thing was stupidly clean and well-built.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

epix posted:

Nice bike

Check out seat concepts for a potential seat replacement. Have one on my 650 and major difference.

+1 on the FCR swap, awesome mod

Thanks for the link, those seats look really nice and the 1" lowering is appealing.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I'm down for getting some wheelies in too. I've been toying with pulling the front wheel up here and there at stopsigns, but I'm nowhere near pulling it up with purpose yet. I know the thing can do it, FCR'd DRZ 400SM with my skinny rear end on it, it'll lift the wheel with a spirited stoplight launch.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I was just thumbing through my service manual when I noticed that is says that stock DRZ-400SMs don't require turning the fuel petcock off because they're vacuum-fed. Mine has the FCR 39mm carb. Does anyone know if it's the same? It's not a big deal, I'm just curious - I've always used the shutoff whenever I'm done riding before.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Symphoric posted:

Depends on if you're running the stock petcock or not. If your petcock even has an "OFF" setting then it isn't stock and you definitely should be turning it off.

Oh you're right. It looks way different from the one in the manual and it doesn't have a reserve selection.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I have the same EBC Brake. It's a loving beast.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Don't feel bad, I'm skittish as gently caress to wheelie... but I let my brother (me +60lbs) on and he rocks a 4-gear wheelie down the road, so yeah, its just lack of wanting it enough :negative:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I guess this is sort of a general motorcycle question, but anyway:

I'm facing the probability of not having a winter storage location for my bike this year and having to keep it outside all winter. I can buy any number of tarps and covers and such, but is there anything I should REALLY look for? I'm in an apartment, so a shed is out of the question. The bike is a DRZ400SM if that makes any difference.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

TheDon01 posted:

You got a living room right?

2nd floor apt.

But I guess if you really have to keep it outside, Sta-Bil in a full tank of gas, battery hooked up to tender, GOOD waterproof cover, raise it off the ground so tires are off, and maybe some some sort of antifreeze in the radiator, replace with proper coolant come spring. I actually have no idea what kind of coolant is in there stock.

I could actually pull that off, but I'd have to run it up 3 flights of stairs with 4 180º bends and 2 90º bends. I think it'd probably get stuck.

I have the battery tender on it at least, just need to find a nice cover.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I just ordered a Seat Concepts seat, and it's supposed to be an inch lower than stock. I'm not particularly tall, so I'm looking forward to having both my feet touch at stoplights.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Yerok posted:

I think I'll probably drop the preload/height in the back a tiny bit because I'm not very heavy. I can tiptoe it fine, so I really don't care for now. A Seat Concepts order might be in my future though, the second gen low seat looks pretty awesome for the price. The guy I bought it from was like 6' 2" so I think he probably cranked the preload a bit and raised the back.

This might seem obvious, but google some coupon codes before you check out. ADVRIDER.COM saved me like $15 on the order.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Seat Concepts seat installed. It wasn't quite as hard as I thought, but if I could have found an upholsterer, I would have gone that route. I spent $30~ on a stapler, staples, and glue.

Before:

After:

The new seat isn't as 'sharp' as the old one - the front lip doesn't lay as flush on the tank, despite my best efforts. Hand stapler was a pain in the rear end as well. They recommend an air stapler. I wouldn't say it is necessary, it would just be way easier.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

JP Money posted:

What the heck is going on with that clutch lever? Do you ride standing on the seat? And it's hydraulic? Is that just a rear brake relocator?

It's a rear brake on the left grip, under the clutch (it has a regular rear brake as well)

ITS FOR MAD SICK STUNTS that I never do.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Trip report (?) on my Seat Concepts seat after a few hundred miles:

Would buy again. Looks way nicer, sits a little lower (I'm short - got the lowered version). Comfort level is marginally better, but noticeable. If I changed anything, I would get the Carbon Seat/Carbon Side rather than the Gripper Seat. It is a VERY grippy fabric and I've gotten my pant legs kinda hung up on it a few times. Minor gripe, but worth mentioning.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Well it happened. Someone hosed with my bike.

I didn't ride a lot this year because of a back injury. I went out to reattach the trickle charger, and it appears someone decided to steal some bodywork. Problem is, I bought the bike with the current aftermarket parts, and I'm not even sure if there was a filter in there and I don't know what that panel is called so I can replace it. Any help? It's either UFO or Acerbis plastics. The bike also has the 3x3 airbox mod and FCR39 if that helps.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Baller Witness Bro posted:

An entire new set is like 130 bucks or something if you want to go that route from Acerbis or UFO. I like the Acerbis front fenders I've had so I'd trust them.

You're looking for the air box cover. If you don't have a filter you can buy a UNI or TwinAir filter or something. I forget if that filter needs a cage or not but that's something you can look up on a microfiche or whatever.

I should've gotten a better picture - there's a caged circular filter inside, I just don't remember if there was another loose filter in the opening pictured.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Oh, late update/edit: tried to start my bike to move and park it for the winter and found out they slashed the fuel line, opened the petcock, and drained the tank.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
It has an aftermarket Clarke 3.8ish gallon tank. You can see the fuel line cut in the picture I originally put up. I didn't try to start it at that time because it was cold as gently caress outside and the battery was flat.

There's a new one-man repair shop in town, so I hopped over there and he cut me off a 1ft piece of Tygon hose so I could repair it. Finally got it fixed, pushed it to a gas station, topped it off for the winter, and took it to my parents' house. Apparently, parking under a deck downtown in a small Indiana town is just asking for trouble.

I was thinking about selling the bike next year and upgrading, but I'm super paranoid about it being outside anymore, and parking it full-time at my parents' house is inconvenient at best.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I've got another dumb rookie DRZ400sm / General Motorcycle question:

If anyone remembers, someone vandalized/stole parts off my bike back in the fall. I only rode it once after that to move it to its winter home, but upon inspection while I was taking it back to my place this weekend, I found the license plate light (I think it was a little LED strip) is completely gone - just dangling wires - and also my brake lights don't work. It's some brand of fender eliminator undertail kit, the LED turn signals work and the always-on red brake light is lit, but it won't go to Stop/High mode when the brakes are on.

Where do I begin? Is the missing license plate light causing a floating ground?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

BlackMK4 posted:

If you in California I suggest you check out SoCal Supermoto School. $230 - their bikes, their photos, instructor is cool as poo poo, etc.
Get up on the front of the bike, push the bike down, foot out front by the radiator guard. You can definitely feel the difference between being up on the front vs out back.

Yes, I was in the same boat as you when I took that school. loving total opposite of how I've always ridden but it was definitely fun.

Wondering about this myself. I live in the Chicago area, but I've thought about flying out to California in the spring to do this. Is it worth making a weekend out of (and the ~$1000 total cost with hotels and poo poo all said and done)?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
It was finally warm on Saturday and I decided to ride my DRZ, but it wouldn't start. It's been in storage for about 4 months (climate controlled basement, on a trickle charger, fresh gas before I put it away)

It just cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. The choke seemed to be working fine (it sounds slightly different cranking it with the choke on, per usual). It's always started a little rough after sitting through the winter, but never this bad. The battery eventually died and I ran out of time waiting for it charge and more snow is coming, so aside from just trying to get it started, I won't be riding it anytime soon.

05 DRZ with an FCR carb. Where should I start? My motorcycle mechanic skills are not that great.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
It got a New plug at the beginning of the season last year.

The only thing I could think of beyond that is that I may have left the petcock open since storage - it's equally likely that I turned it on without thinking about it when I was getting it out and didn't remember.

Definitely in neutral, definitely had the key in it, definitely didn't have the killswitch on.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Ether is a magical thing. I've had trouble with my bike not starting after the winter and a half-second blast took care of it.

Should've started there before pulling the spark plug, but oh well.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
It's increasingly likely that I'm selling my DRZ this season for something more suitable for my area. I love it, but something about the riding posture really aggravates my back, and everything fun around here is 30+mi away on the highway. Is there any reason I should just shoot for $4k firm on my bike, even with 10k mi? Try for more? I unfortunately lost the specs when I got the bike from the PO, but it's something like this:

Yoshi Exhaust (TRS Comp?)
UFO and Acerbis Plastics
Acerbis Cyclops Headlight
3x3 Mod
FCR 39 Carb
EBC front brake (320mm?)
Zeta brushguards w/integrated signals
Stainless steel brake lines
Seat Concepts low-profile seat
Twin Air filter
Clarke 3.9g (?) fuel tank
Unknown Make fender eliminator kit
Rear Pegs
Possibly has aftermarket wheels from a CBR, if that matters at all.

+ all removed parts

Local DRZsm's on Craigslist (both stock) are 4k miles and 300mi, $5000 and $5900 respectively, for reference.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

The Bandit posted:

Where are you located?

N. Indiana

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Coydog posted:

10000/DRZ/IN

Hey bb u want some brap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Selling my DRZ on Craigslist has been a nightmare (surprise!). Lots of "that costs too much / Will you take half price plus a Hi-Point" kinda responses.

Last night took the cake when some guy offered me a single iPhone 5 OR a PS4 for the entire bike. I'm frustrated, my friends.

• Locked thread