Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've seen great results with the renzaco seats.

FYI, I've done a 800 mile day on the 690. It wasn't terrible. I was sore, but 6 months later, I think I could do it again with less strain. Mines bone stock (except for track sliders and catch can)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

yummycheese posted:

Im trying to decide on a drz. This thread had me convinced I absolutely needed one a long time ago.

Good! Welcome to the best club.

yummycheese posted:

Two choices exist right now.
$2200 06 with dirt gear but street legal with 1200 miles on it.
$3500 06 with sm gear but with 7000 miles already on the clock.

Either of these are most likely good choices at those prices.

yummycheese posted:

Could I buy the cheaper bike and get the wheels/tires for a decent price and still come below the price of the already kitted out bike?

Yes, but what one do you want? Dual sport or SM? You can make one bike the other, but it'll take effort, some money and some patience/research and it wont be as good of a crossover vehicle as the dedicated SM or S models. So... are you wanting a supermoto or a dual sport?

yummycheese posted:

The idea of lower miles excites me too. From what I under stand these 400cc motors are really giving it all when there going down the freeway at 70mph. 7000 miles of that might be a bit much for a bike like this.

There is absolutely no concern with 7k miles on a DRZ. If it was heavily modded and spent its whole life on a racetrack, maybe, but even then I wouldnt be too worried if it was maintained.

These engines will outlast us all.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

That's a DRZ, all the haters can suck it. :v:

Coulda cleared the whole city on a 690 :colbert:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buy the Husky if you want more balls for your dollar. Buy the DRZ if you want to save money at first, and then spend a lot of money upgrading every component.

The husky 610 sits between the DRZ and the KTM 690 as streetable supermotos. It's got plenty of power (50 HP or so), relatively low weight, good kit (brembo) and a fair bit of personality.

If the cash isn't an obstacle to you, pick one up. You wont regret it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Go for broke...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93088&page=2

DRZ Dakar fairings look rad.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Also a soon to be happy new owner. Saturday I'm pinking up a KTM 620 SX converted and tagged already. 12 hour drive on Friday. Can't Wait

Z3n,

This is how you are supposed to do it. :golfclap:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

A DRZ hasn't really been loved until it's been 12 o'clocked.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Someone else did the honors for me. Got to watch it go down. Was pretty sweet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My DRZ total:

- 12 O'clocked by a friend doing wheelies on a cement lot in the middle of nowhere (Stunta training what what), total damage: destroyed rear tail light, scratches.
- Crashed in the mud by same friend, total damage: none
- Dropped taking a turn on wet grass by myself, damage: none
- Dropped in ORV park on twisty muddy trails 3 times, total damage: forks rotated, easy fix.
- Low sided by my brother on gravel, no damage
- Low sided 4 times at track day by friend, scratches and character only damage
- high sided at 55 by brother, bike slid off the road into ditch. No damage.
- high sided again by brother at track, shifter punctured through case gaurd causing small leak. Resealed in the garage with some goop, no issues 3k miles later.

So the total sum of replaced parts after all that crashing is the stock tail light... replaced with edge tail.

DRZ's kick rear end. The bike doesn't look rough. Just some scratches in the dirt bike plastics and beat up hand guards.

Edit: Very possible I'm missing one or two crashes. Not counting half a dozen (at least) drops on grass, gravel and mud just doing stupid poo poo.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 5, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Yes, you can buy things with more power or better suspension or whatever, but NOTHING can touch the DRZ in day-to-day livability, and absolute bomb-proofness, which, in the end is what matters to 99% of people.

How prophetic you should say this, my 690 threw up a FI code tonight on the ride home and lost power a few times. Tomorrow it goes to the dealer to figure out whats up. Under warranty, which is nice, but oi.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Is this your ad, spiffness?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1631943472.html

Things like "Bike has been down, as any supermoto should." make me believe it was someone from here.

Guilty as charged

Edit: Geez, I need to proof read that ad.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 9, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Anyone have any experience with the WR250x, especially as compared to a DRZ? Right now I'm looking at a very well maintained '06 DRZ with 7k miles for $3400, and a '08 WR250x with 4k miles from a dealer for $4000.

The whole modern fuel injected thing is tempting me, but is it really worth the extra money considering the lower displacement?

DRZ is probably the better bike. The WR is a 6 speed but it's just as poor at highway cruising as the DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Not letting the SM thread go to the second page.

Did my first stoopies on the KTM last night. Even with the dirt bike brake it will still pick up the rear with enough force on the lever. Stoppies are so scary :cry:

About a week ago I fired up the DRZ and took it out for a little spin. Racing towards a red light I started braking... and... nothing really happened. You could tell the bike was trying to stop but... seriously DRZ? SERIOUSLY? ARE WE GOING TO STOP IN TIME?! JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

When you get used to having 1 finger stoppie brakes, be careful going back down to grampa brakes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Haha, what kind of crazy rear end crabon brakes are you used to that the DRZ brakes make you wonder if you'll stop in time?

Basically what Z3n said. I've grown spoiled by Brembo this and Brembo that, so stepping down to everyman stopping power... I didn't come in aggressively enough to start, and then when my brain processed that 'wait a second... this is different'. I had to adapt quickly... very quickly.

It only happened that once, and then I was ready for it. Just that brief moment of "JESUS CHRIST IS THIS THING BROKEN?!"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40XsxAxkD0

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Getting noisy in here. Better turn on the entertainment system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcCdA0PqWuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2Z0AwjQaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc6i7XEi4DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQMsfT2K8I

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I was walking home from the Metro last night and saw a guy riding an SMC of some displacement (didn't get a good look) stopped at a light. I was disappointed when he took off with both wheels on the ground.

He probably forgot to downshift from 3rd gear

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jharkov posted:

This is my dream setup. Saving my pennies.

KTM 690R

with these wheels

62HP with EFI that grants 55MPG economy, at 138KG of weight.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Yeah, it's not a bad way to go. That's for sure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

http://store.ktmtwins.com/58609001044.html

Alpina for life!

Fuuuuuck. Had to take a smoke break to calm down.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Well god loving drat it then. I WANT fuel injection. I loving want it. I don't want to have to gently caress with a carb.

Guess I'll have to save some cash up and just sit on craigslist watching for a DRZ with a flatside already installed.

I guess I should explain my situation: I live in downtown Portland, in a building with a shared parking garage that doesn't allow vehicle maintenance. That said, they let me bring my GSXR up into my apartment to replace my ignition cylinder so my plan was to get a WR250X since they are small as hell and just push it into the maintenance elevator and up to my apartment each night. I would also be doing maintenance in my apartment. Ahhh, the joys of not being married anymore.

EDIT: Also, I am not interested in doing a bunch aftermarket stuff to it. I'd prefer just to slap a pipe and set of bars on one and call it a day.

Psst... I'm selling a DRZ in Seattle that fits this bill. :tipshat:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Where's the ad for it?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1690790405.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Trust me, I was very tempted to get stupid. But thats what 'related videos' is for.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's pretty cool how they took a dream... opened up the Ducati accessories catalog, and just ordered everything.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

Over the winter I installed a edge tail light. Now, the stock blinkers want to move a lot and I can't get them tight. Any ideas? I've seen some people move the blinkers back closer to the middle of the bike but it won't work on mine because that's where my exhaust bolts up to.

Do what I do and forget all about it.

Also, poor bikes going into storage for the winter... I'm happy I don't have to do such a thing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Why do they do that (put the foot out)?

Here's some good basic supermoto riding technique explanation I found.

Supermoto Canada posted:

-If you just ride your 'motard on the road then you can simply ride it like any other bike, but if you want to get the most out of your bike, or you want to go racing, then there are some basic techniques that are worth practising.

The first one is just where to sit. Under heavy acceleration, especially on wet or slippery surfaces, you need to get as much weight over the rear wheel as possible. To do this sit as far back on your seat as possible. Obviously this means you're taking a lot of weight off the front of your bike, but as the front wheel has little to do while accelerating this isn't a problem. Going into a corner, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. Just before you hit the brakes, slide your body right up to the tank so that you've got as much weight going into the front tire's contact patch as possible. Yes, this can mean you're more likely to pull a 'rolling stoppie' into the corner but just as the front tire does very little under acceleration, the rear tire does very little under braking. This seating position should also be used on aggressive standing starts.

Now we come to the best thing about riding a supermotard bike - sliding it into corners. If you ride a two-stroke 'motard you'll find this technique very difficult indeed, but on four-strokes it's actually pretty easy ... once you've got over the fear of sliding a bike around, anyway, as it goes against every road rider's idea of how to ride. The first thing you need to do is find a nice quiet road with little, if any, traffic that, preferably, has a side road for you to slide in to. Now, ride up to the corner and take the racing line into it. Hopefully this corner is a first or second gear turn. If it isn't take a line in to it that makes it one as you don't won't to be going too fast at this point. When you're happy with your racing line, again race up to this corner, but this time leave your braking until pretty late so that you're taking the turn in a racing manner. As you approach the turn you want to be in at least one gear higher than you need. As you hit the brakes (both of them, not just the front) select the gear for the corner and then release the clutch lever - no going through each separate gear or blipping the throttle between changes ala road racing - and you should feel the rear start to slide controllably.

You shouldn't need much rear brake as you want the wheel to continue to turn as it slides sideways. If you feel the rear wheel juddering (you'll instantly recognise the feeling if/when it happens) then you're in too low a gear for your entry speed - feather the clutch slightly and it will go away. And that's it. Overcome your fear of sliding, add a little practise and you too can look like Stephane Chambon. Hey, I said look, not be as quick as...

There's one more thing to talk about now and that's how to stick your foot out while cornering. Yes, I know it seems stupid but there are a couple of things to remember if you do it. The first thing is not to dig your foot into the floor as you corner - your foot should be above the surface and only touch down if the bike slides. You also want to make absolutely certain that your foot is pointing the same way you're travelling, which is the same direction your front wheel is pointing. If you do have a slide you want your foot to kick the bike up, but you also want your leg to only move in its natural plain of travel. If your foot's pointing slightly sideways then, if you're unlucky, your foot could grip the surface and twist in an unnatural direction that can end in anything from a sore ankle or knee to utterly shattering your leg. And because the break's caused by a sideways force you're not just looking at a bad break, but a spiral break which is the type of injury that almost cost multi World GP500 Champion Mick Doohan his leg. And don't forget to make sure your toes are hard against the engine casings when you put your foot back on the pegs as you don't want them digging into the tarmac if you loose control just after the apex or if you hit one of the conveniently placed tire/hay bale walls as this could also result in your foot being spun sideways with the same possible results as mentioned above.

I made the switch on the track because the fast guys do it... and when I started giving it a try, it just felt so natural. You can really spring direction from side to side much faster without having to reposition your whole body. For long corners, knee out can still rule the day, but it's more fun to to and drag handlebars with your body supermoto style. It's just very fluid on a dirtbike. You don't support your weight or even drag your foot, it's just there to let you know when your sliding too much and need to bang it down to get your poo poo back under control.

As well as that, when your sliding into/out of a corner, there's just something that feels so much more solid about having your foot out, body slightly upright, bike leaned like a son of a bitch under you. It just feels right on a supermoto.

Also on a supermoto track thats really narrow and tight, where you want to put your knee very well might just be a tire or a hay stack that's marking the course.

We still do knee out on long street corners, because if there's plenty of setup, it's still bad rear end good fun. If you watch the really fast guys though, foot out.

Nikki says 'gently caress your leg out'

Or ride it however you feel best about the pavement you are on. It's SuperMoto, nobody really gives a poo poo. We don't have a lot of rules.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 27, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

pr0zac posted:

I've always loved this picture because its so drat obvious dude is crashing and just managed to push it back up with his leg. His body language screams "OOOOH FUUUUUUCK".

No, it's just that on reflection his lead filled gloves was a bad idea.

HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK :banjo:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Has there been any word on 2011/2010 DRZs yet? I've heard strange rumors lately, up to and including fuel injection as a possibility??? Not a reliable source but still that someone had gotten the idea is kinda strange.

Suzuki basically has to switch to FI to pass emissions with the next version.

If we're lucky, we'll get a version of the RMZ motor in SM form. Maybe Suzuki will get serious. We can only hope.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Holy crap I went on e-bay just to drool over the 400SMs but there doesn't seem to be any listed on there right now.

Buy mine.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

rifles posted:

Where is it located!

Seattle

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is the cruelest advice one can give another person: Go with the SXV.

Do you own a pallet of replacement engines?

Hunt down a Husky 610 or even 510 if you wanna go the crazy route. KTM 625, or 690. Even a Husky or KTM 450 SMR with a street title would be a great less practical sumo.

SXV is soooo badass. What a nightmare maintenance bike though. I'm just far too terrified of how unreliable they are to ever buy one, but man would I kill for an hour and some twisties.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Maintenance is one thing. Terribly unreliable engines is another. I have no problem doing valve checks every time I go to the gas station. It's swapping in a replacement engine every time I turn around to go home that worries me.

Though for that kind of power, you can sacrifice a lot.

Really depends on how often you are going to ride, how far you want to ride, how much money you have to spend and how big your testicles are. We need more details for the 'which supermoto should I get arrested on?' buying advice.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Basic rule of thumb most guys follow, if its a really tight corner, put the foot out. If it's longer and sweeping, keep them on the pegs. This is where some guys differentiate, some people go knee out, some more dirt oriented or SM purists just keep the body more upright and close to the bike and lean with it.

It's supermoto, do whatever feels natural, keeps that rear wheel lively and having a good time and keeps you mostly rubber side down.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've done it for fairly long periods. Better than the KTM can for comfort.

In short: Yes, if you are cool enough.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jharkov posted:

couldn't resist... got another SE...

Next time I'm in Australia can I visit and play on your bikes?

Congrats on another fantastic Katoom.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

The underslung exhaust is the only bad thing about the dukes.

It's bad rear end and people jump dukes off curbs all the time without blowing poo poo up. They wont clear a triple, and I wouldnt wanna jump a loading dock with one, but curb hopping? No biggie. Plus are just so drat cool.

As Zool says, if you want a bike that will absolutely demolish any twisty road and wheelie out of every single corner the Duke is one of the best.

He's also not kidding about brakes. If you've ridden a stock DRZ400SM and then ridden any other supermoto and try to go back you'll honestly think theres a problem with your brakes.

They are endlessly good bikes but very much an entry level bike. You can mod the piss out of them, which is cool, and they will never break but the first time you ride something European you'll never get it out of your mind.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I love that question.

They suck. All supermotos suck for long commutes and long trips on the freeway. You are riding a dirtbike.

Now, that said, they suck about as little as a bike of their type can. So it's as good as a bad situation can be, and it's actually very livable. I've done an 800 mile day on my 690 and I still have the use of my legs.

Don't buy one thinking it'll be your everything bike, because it wont unless you are as crazy as I am. It will be the funnest thing you have ever owned though and you will defend your lunacy in any court of man. Also, you'll get a lot of opportunities to defend yourself in the court of man.

Read the thread. Then if you have any specific questions that haven't been asked 10 times already, fire away.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

I just want one for the weekends when I'm home to scoot around town.

Perfect

Christoff posted:

I don't think I'll own it too long because I'll probably eventually get another sport bike.

No you won't.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

stgdz posted:

So what should the DRZ's be selling for? Most of the ones I see on CL are like the miata's I see 2005's to 2009's all selling for the same price.

5 grand

There have been a couple of husabergs and husky's showing up for 5 and under(the husa was 4200). I think the DRZ crowd is kinda nuts around here to be asking for prices like that but are the euro's maintenance monsters? Most of them are the 510's.

5 grand is way to much to pay for a DRZ unless it is practically brand new. 3-4k is what you should be expecting to pay for a nice DRZ with mods.

Husabergs are freaking awesome, but yes, maintenance is more prevalent. A husky 510 is not a street bike. It's street legal, but that's not really the same thing. 1.3 gallon gas tank, no key, etc... it's a race bike.

Husaberg did make a more streetable Enduro/SM bike... the 5 something? I'm not terribly familiar with their bikes. Husky's street bikes start with the 6 series really, 610 and the new 630 are meant for the street. KTM, same deal, 6 series. 5 if your a bit mad.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

What's the deal with the duke, super duke, duke II

What are you looking for here?

Think of Dukes as supermotos with less ground clearance and morr street frendly rides. Slightly less insane but more day to day friendly while giving you almost all the benifits of a full SM.

Think pf a superduke as one of the most badass and fun streetbikes money can buy. An everyday bike. This is what i was going to buy until i found a deal on a Street Fighter i couldnt pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Youd be right. I use the term megamoto. Too heavy to be a real SM but the same idea. They dont ride quite like traditional standards, being very upright and aggressive handling, but they arent real supermotos either. You get ground clearance but the weight and 115 HP means tight sm tracks are not your home, but give them some backroads and theyll show their worth.

Again, very everyday-able.

The SMT is a touring kit megamoto.

• Locked thread