Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

njbeachbum posted:

Loved it.

Take a look at this module for the next update, AD&D, and Laser guns!

On this note SpellJammer really needs to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Crowns
Jul 15, 2004
BOY, I SURE AM ONE HELL OF A FUCK-UP!
I love these. They are hilarious! Please do more!

Frolixo
Jul 17, 2002
I had this really harsh DM that used impossible traps and would punish you if you didn't take swimming and rope use as starting skills. I once lost 5 characters in one night. It was the worst night of my life besides 9/11.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I played the Neverwinter Nights conversion of Tomb of Horrors with a couple of other people at a LAN party... Ended up cheating our asses off because GOD drat that instakill floating skull guy.

At least Tomb of Horrors isn't Fatal, you guys. I never want a roleplaying system that requires me to roll for penis girth.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This is currently my favourite article series. I never played myself, although I did get a bunch of AD&D second edition books from an acquaintance who stopped playing. I've got the Fiend Folio and it's pretty ridiculous, but it seems like that's common knowledge so maybe it wouldn't be fit for an article? I've also got Oriental Adventures, which was awesome to my younger self but seems kind of ridiculous now.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Jenova Project posted:

I played the Neverwinter Nights conversion of Tomb of Horrors with a couple of other people at a LAN party... Ended up cheating our asses off because GOD drat that instakill floating skull guy.

Can this be found anywhere online? A search doesn't seem to turn it up. I'm amazed that there's actually a computer game of this horror.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Like an idiot, I searched for 'Tomb of Terror'. Play and 'enjoy'.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 21, 2009

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I think these articles are becoming more and more tailored to DnD players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it kinda weeds me out.

I have never played DnD, so I didn't get much humor out of the idea of playing through a map that was really hard, but in the earlier ones the pictures and descriptions were all I needed to get the jokes.

It's like if Fashion SWAT needed you to be a member of the fetish knitting community to enjoy the humor.

Well, maybe not quite like that. *shudder*

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ishamael posted:

I think these articles are becoming more and more tailored to DnD players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it kinda weeds me out.

I have never played DnD, so I didn't get much humor out of the idea of playing through a map that was really hard, but in the earlier ones the pictures and descriptions were all I needed to get the jokes.

It's like if Fashion SWAT needed you to be a member of the fetish knitting community to enjoy the humor.

Well, maybe not quite like that. *shudder*

Maybe a little less focus on the mechanics and a little more focus on the absolutely absurd nature of the logic and puzzles that went into it would help in a case like this? For example, i know that the specific adventure they covered had a lot of situations where you were expected to "solve" some trap, and what probably was more important and humorous was not the traps in-game effects (you die, essentially) but the fact that there were no clues or indication whatsoever that you were supposed to do anything at all.

It's like if you were watching an Indiana Jones movie, and it turns out the rolling boulder trap was actually an illusion specifically designed to make you run and fall into a snake pit, and the correct course of action was to stand still and let the boulder pass over you since it wasn't real. No one in their right mind would do this, and yet that kind of logic is all throughout the Tomb of Horrors module.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jesus that loving module is brutal. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and the summary there is pretty hilarious, too.

"The module is divided into 33 encounters, beginning with two false entrances to the tomb, and ending with "The Crypt of Acererak the Demi-Lich". Example encounters are the "Huge Pit Filled with 200 Spikes" (section 20), or encounter 22, "The Cavern of Gold and Silver Mists": "The mists are silvery and shot through with delicate streamers of golden color. Vision extends only 6'. There is a dim aura of good if detected for. Those who step into the mist must save versus poison or become idiots until they can breath the clean air above ground under the warm sun.""

'Okay, guys. We have a lot of poo poo that instantly kills people, and Bob, I love your idea for the room that teleports them naked to the front of the dungeon through the mouth of that thing that kills them instantly, love it, adore it. But how about this: a room that makes your character completely non-functonal JUST BY STEPPING INTO IT. gently caress yeah, huh?'

e: I downloaded the module from their website, and.. wow. This trap is just bizarre.

"If the characters follow the “advice” of the pointing skeleton, a powerful effect re qu i res each character making the trip to make two DC 20 Will saving throws, though characters can choose not to resist the effect. If the first save is failed, the alignment of the wearer is altered as radically as possible. If a character passing through the arch for the first time fails the second saving throw, the character’s gender switches."

:psyduck: 'You failed your saving throw and your dick falls off. You are now female.'

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 21, 2009

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Frolixo posted:

I had this really harsh DM that used impossible traps and would punish you if you didn't take swimming and rope use as starting skills. I once lost 5 characters in one night. It was the worst night of my life besides 9/11.

frolixo we miss you please come back for one more update :(

mewlink64
Apr 6, 2009
These D&D articles are some of the best ever. I await the next installment.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I think we can all agree that regardless of its orgins Bigby's Bitch Slap is the best name ever for a spell.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So, Rifts: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/wtf-dnd-rifts.php?page=1

I had never heard of Rifts before today, but just from this article, it sounds like what you'd get if you took a group of 13-year-old nerds, put them in a room with the annual cocaine output of Bolivia, and told them to come up with a game.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
Best exchange:

Steve: Canada and Quebec.

Zack: They did a source book on Canada and Quebec?

Steve: No. They did a source book on Canada and then they did a source book on Quebec.

Zack: My god.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

neoboman posted:

Best exchange:

Steve: The Coalition also hate magic cities and usually is bombing them or skirmishing.

Zack: Magic cities?

Steve: Like Tolkeen.

Zack: Oh gently caress off.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Zack's attitude towards this module reminds me of my own and why I never really could get into tabletop RPGs.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I don't want you two dudes to get burnt out on these articles or anything, but they're totally sweet so keep 'em coming. In fact, did Drizzt & his Dark Elf homies come from a pen and paper game? I think they did, so do that one if you can.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

I don't want you two dudes to get burnt out on these articles or anything, but they're totally sweet so keep 'em coming. In fact, did Drizzt & his Dark Elf homies come from a pen and paper game? I think they did, so do that one if you can.

:ssh: Dungeons and Dragons

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

neoboman posted:

Best exchange:

Steve: No. They did a source book on Canada and then they did a source book on Quebec.

From wikipedia:

"The second greatest power [in North America] is "Free Quebec". At one time it was a Coalition State, but constant disagreement with Chi-Town, over everything from Glitter Boy production to education level of the populace, led to secession and eventually a short civil war."

"The Royal Canadian Mounted Police managed to survive the great cataclysm, though Canada itself did not. The Mounties have become an independent law enforcement force called the Tundra Rangers, patrolling the northern wilderness."

lol.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
How could you guys ignore Glitter Boys entirely? Come on!

The Rifts update definitely merits a part two, please please please do one.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I love these dnd articles. Never played but they're very funny.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

This was the best WTF, DnD so far. Please do a few more on Rifts. Especially the Quebec book.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

neoboman posted:

Best exchange:

This is so retarded. I'm from Quebec, so it's not surprising to me that Free Quebec would secede from the coalition. I mean, it makes sense, we follow authority until they ask us to do anything, then we whine until we win status quo. This worked much the same way, except with giant robots.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Portable Staplefrog posted:

This was the best WTF, DnD so far. Please do a few more on Rifts. Especially the Quebec book.

LE SURETÉ DU QUEBEC (sic)
"As an independent nation, Free Quebec now relies on intelligence
more than ever for its military and political strategy making.
Le Sureté du Quebec is the instrument to that end. This high
level intelligence agency
has been in operation for decades,
starting shortly after Free Quebec joined the Coalition States"

----
lol
"Martin Petit is the office gopher, good natured assistant and
researcher. He is an 8th level Rogue Scholar who handles research
and maintains the office's computer"

Sir Gladu fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 27, 2009

Holy Q
Oct 21, 2008

my mind is not the part
I want robots to be blowing
:roboluv:
Not as good as Fashion SWAT, but close. You guys are only getting funnier with time.

RushingCraze
May 6, 2007

by angerbot
First front page I read in a while, but apparently not the first Rifts/DnD deal. (?) Any tentacle rape classes? I just have a soft spot for them.

adambomb286
Mar 15, 2003

Best. Gimmick. Ever.
If only I could get back the countless hours spent playing Rifts in my youth. I could use them to play me some more Rifts! I hope in the future you guys mention something about techno-wizardry and the insane power creep that happened as each source book came out.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I thought the coalition used juicer...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

neoboman posted:

Best exchange:

I... I bought both of those.

I don't even play Rifts. (Anymore. It's been over a decade. Honest.)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

those are totally guys riding future-kangaroos, aren't they?

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
This is what comes to my mind when I read about the juicers. :buddy:

Also, anthropomorphic dog men with knives........ the fact they're vibro knives just brings it to a whole new level of perversion.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

RushingCraze posted:

First front page I read in a while, but apparently not the first Rifts/DnD deal. (?) Any tentacle rape classes? I just have a soft spot for them.

The closest thing I can think of is the Oozemaster prestige class from DnD 3.5:

Also I guess you could play with Illithid as your monster race and take the ECL +8 hit but that's cheating

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
At the age of 10, thinking wizards and dragons were the greatest thing ever, loving star wars, and constantly writing rules for my own homebrewed games, I STILL knew that RIFTS was completely and utterly retarded.

So yes i like this update.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Wandering Knitter posted:

On this note SpellJammer really needs to be done.

I would also like to second SpellJammer.

Space sailing ships powered by phlogiston are just too ridiculous.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Bloodnose posted:

I would also like to second SpellJammer.

Space sailing ships powered by phlogiston are just too ridiculous.

It's really niche though. These articles need to stay general enough to appeal to people that have no idea what is going on. Only people that have experienced Spelljammer can even begin to grasp what the gently caress it's all about, and while "LOL FANTASY + SPACESHIPS" is really goofy I don't see how it naturally equates to material for an article.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
e: Y'know what, Rifts is probably full to the gills with tentacle monsters and the one I remember is just one of 'em. I think the Splugorth were basically tentacle Hutts?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Thanks for making me remember that I spent an entire family vacation in Montana riding in a minivan creating a homemade Rifts module featuring Australia or some poo poo (before Australia was inevitably released) instead of looking at mountains and nature. It explains a lot.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

This is one of the greatest works of art I have ever seen.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

CrushedB posted:

This is one of the greatest works of art I have ever seen.

Especially if you picture him fighting dinosaur riding Jesus from the creationist museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I do like how it looks like the devil guy has to threaten the lizard to get it to do anything. "Goddamnit! Turn right you piece of poo poo!"

• Locked thread