Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Last night I read an old D&D module. I commented humorously on the artwork and creature descriptions. I commented aloud to myself.

Just wasn't the same, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So WTF, DnD finally came around to Kult.
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/kult-skeleton-horror/1/

I have the source book on my book shelf, and I can say that the 11 pictures featured here is just a small part of how bizarre Kult is.
The setting is basically that humanity are in reality immortal gods that have been chained behind an illusion, that now have started cracking and humanity is slipping free. Meanwhile our tormentors try to keep the illusion going.
There are no immortal alien gods or supernatural beings like Call of Cthulu or Vampire, instead everything has to do with human vices and weaknesses.

Some fun examples:
Leonardo da Vinci is featured as an immortal human that have freed himself from the illusion.
There is one adventure where Jim Morrison is actually Jesus, and where the players are the 4 apostles, and in the end Jesus/Jim is trying to free humanity by making the players sacrifice the pope, who in reality is a hidden tormentor.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

WTF, D&D? Where you at?

In the front, in the back, killer bees on attack!

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

Cardiac posted:

There is one adventure where Jim Morrison is actually Jesus, and where the players are the 4 apostles

Just reading that makes me angry. I'd be a terrible Kult player. "Guys- the illusion... maybe it has a point."

Nice to see WTF back in style.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I never said thank you for the last article.

Thank you.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The best was the cave slime or whatever that was a good listener and a loyal friend.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Kurt, E, and Left Eye stories are some of my favorite stuff on the site. Is Hard Ticket to Baghdad still in the pipeline? Gotta see what Station does next!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

With the 5th edition Monster Manual now available, you can always take a look at even the modern DnD illustrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It's been way too long since an update, did Steve choke on a d12 or something?

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
E: nevermind

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I miss these. Was looking forward to Hard Ticket to Baghdad in particular.

But its all good. :unsmith:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've always found this image hilarious from a really cheaply made rulebook for BattleTech (StratOps), the whole thing is just pictures of model collections and pages of text.

It's made worse when you realize the Quickdraw has crotch missiles.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 14, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Where is Hard Ticket to Baghdad :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DamnGlitch posted:

Where is Hard Ticket to Baghdad :(

ISIS. :happyelf:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zack seriously can't be hosed to update WTF DnD or Fashion SWAT or anything that was actually funny because he is terrified of success. If you read the giant steaming piles he called Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon and Liminal States, you'd know that his true calling is publishing unfunny pseudo-fiction narratives, as well as taking a moderately interesting premise for a sci-fi short story and stretching it into a million pages of banality.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

homeless poster posted:

Zack seriously can't be hosed to update WTF DnD or Fashion SWAT or anything that was actually funny because he is terrified of success. If you read the giant steaming piles he called Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon and Liminal States, you'd know that his true calling is publishing unfunny pseudo-fiction narratives, as well as taking a moderately interesting premise for a sci-fi short story and stretching it into a million pages of banality.

You're a rude dude. Zack owns.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

tripwood posted:

You're a rude dude. Zack owns.

No that's my point - Zack does own when he's writing very short, self contained things. WTF D&D or Fashion SWAT or even some of the other short story fiction he has written on the front page are legit awesome.

Just don't ask him to write a several hundred page story because holy poo poo does that get insufferable.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

homeless poster posted:

I really liked Liminal States.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

homeless poster posted:

No that's my point - Zack does own when he's writing very short, self contained things. WTF D&D or Fashion SWAT or even some of the other short story fiction he has written on the front page are legit awesome.

Just don't ask him to write a several hundred page story because holy poo poo does that get insufferable.

Sorry about your bad opinions.

I really do miss WTF, D&D though. :(

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
WTF D&D is good and I'd like to read more of it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hogge Wild posted:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Hard ticket to Baghdad please

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Is Steve a real guy?

Praying for Hard Ticket in 2015.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Hogge Wild posted:

And there's so much more left to cover, too. So much more. To fill the void I've been buying Palladium books off ebay and reading them for the humor value, and oh man, they're just as insane as I remember. This gem is the back cover to Mutants of the Yucutan, which somehow took two people to do, and all kinds of people looked at it and said "yep, nailed it" and printed off a lot of copies of it and sold them for real, actual money:

Mutants in Avalon has a dude in plate armor riding a giant snail which is somehow leaping into battle. I think I saw it a dozen times before I actually processed that was what was going on.

Hog Jowls fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 12, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I thought the cat-man was checking his smartphone at first.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
drat it Steve and Zack, my heart leapt up into my throat when I saw this on the front page, only to realize that this is Hard Ticket to Hawaii and not Baghdad. C'mon, at least try to get it out when Straight Outta Compton is still in theaters so it maybe shows up in searches about Eazy E!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So this happened: http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2015/09/wtf-dd-ravenloft/

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
yee

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Still no Hard Ticket to Baghdad, though. :smith:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

That's...weird. I noticed Zack "Geist Editor" Parsons wasn't the author of the front page article on his normal Monday slot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Still no Hard Ticket to Baghdad, though. :smith:

Good news! On Facebook, Zack wrote: "Hard ticket back on track coming soon. New wtfs will be on this site (The Bad Guys Win)"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Good news! On Facebook, Zack wrote: "Hard ticket back on track coming soon. New wtfs will be on this site (The Bad Guys Win)"

:neckbeard:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I hope Zack Parsons hasn't abandoned SA!
:ohdear:

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
He's still posting on Fridays!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I never thought I'd say this, but, thank you.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
If they just need someone to pay them then they should do one of those fancy Patreons.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BiggerJ posted:

If they just need someone to pay them then they should do one of those fancy Patreons.

Yes. Patreon to play old P&P RPGs all day everyday until one of them snaps.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

I will do this.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So what is the update schedule for this other site? I see one wtf dnd article and a couple of front page-ish updates but the ravenloft thing was like 3 weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

DamnGlitch posted:

So what is the update schedule for this other site? I see one wtf dnd article and a couple of front page-ish updates but the ravenloft thing was like 3 weeks ago

Looks like he's updating it once a week, every monday.

• Locked thread