Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/classic-dungeons-dragons.php

Terrific installment. That old school art was 90% of the charm of those modules for me, unless block-text and tournament-style encounters possess a charm that escapes me.

I saw a photo of Erol Otus once, and was profoundly disappointed that he looked like a normal human being and not, I don't know, some kind of cave-dwelling monster. He certainly taps into something "off" and vaguely atavistic. I bet he's fun at parties.

edited to add: I'm disappointed the artists didn't go more nuts with Q1. Between the spiderweb bridge, the demons out the wazoo, and the bottom level with entire universes behind doorways, that module was deserving of its own pop-out art book (it didn't have one, right?). Otus could've made his masterpiece, presumably an underage-spider sexorium.

ASMR Yodeling fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

glowing-fish posted:

Now part of this might just be that I don't know the mechanics of the game (maybe that -64 is on some type of exponential scale?), but it might just be easier to say that once something gets to 75 miles tall, or even 10 miles tall, that it is not going to be hiding at all. But the chart follows the mathematical progression even when it stops making any sense.

I can only assume that at this scale, creatures get powers like "Summon: Small Moon" to cover their giant asses. And then it becomes a game of what's behind that moon. A space dragon? A Mega-Ant? Perhaps 10^37 gold pieces? (even the honeypots scale exponentially).

This book would've blown my mind when I was 10. Not so much with the idea of rolling 10,000 D8's for hit points, as it would be getting together with fellow nerdlings and pointing out how many hit dice these things have. That's what we did with the demon princes anyway.

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!
Holy shitballs, that is nuts. I've never played Exalted, but I was always under the impression that the genre was "anime superheroes in fantasy land." Did it have this stuff from the beginning, or did it soak it in from other White Wolf products, like a sponge dropped in a toilet?

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

Cardiac posted:

There is one adventure where Jim Morrison is actually Jesus, and where the players are the 4 apostles

Just reading that makes me angry. I'd be a terrible Kult player. "Guys- the illusion... maybe it has a point."

Nice to see WTF back in style.

• Locked thread