Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus, absurd D&D monsters are sort of a proud tradition. There are some recent ones too (I can't believe that Krenshan are still in the game).

I haven't bought any RPGs in ten years, but I keep my 3E Monster Manual in the bathroom for reading material, and the Krenshan is one of the most absurd and stupid monsters in the book. I cannot believe it made it to later editions. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I only owned the core Spelljammer rules and an expansion for ship-to-ship combat, and I recognize about half the art in that article from my old books. They really re-used a lot of art back then.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Karl Rove posted:

Also jesus christ that last image, it is literally frightening.

It's a lot sexier if you imagine the girl chained to the urinal just has a bad nosebleed.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

It's pretty hosed up. I'll defend art on a lot of levels, but jesus, in your Role Playing Game? That's the sort of visual you want players going in with? Good god.

I agree the picture is all kinds of messed up, though it may fit the mood of most World of Darkness RPGs (every time I played people either wanted to just talk snobby to each other in accents or engage in violent perversion, so I went back to D&D). I wasn't completely serious, just making a joke about violence against women being sexier than menstruation.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I guess what I mean is that being part of someone's role playing adventure. Which is generally a group of dudes. Which is weird.

The two times I played Vampire: The Masquerade, the group was mostly female. That may have been the problem. Obese attention whores trying to out-evil each other are not as funny as you would think.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

What the hell is a Glitter Boy?

I only owned Rifts for about 3 days, I had a really cool game store owner who gave me my money back when I showed him how stupid mega damage was, but I can still remember this one. It's a guy in shiny powered armor with a really big gun (so big that the armor automatically fires stakes into the ground from the feet before firing because of recoil). Aside from their name, they were actually not terrible at all, which was very rare in Rifts. In a game full of insanely overpowered characters, a shiny man with a really big gun was not that weird of a character concept.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Space 1899 wasn't really steampunk, it was an homage to the scientific romance genre and was written before steampunk was big. There's some similarities, but steampunk is modern authors writing cyberpunk-style books set in alternate Victorian times, while scientific romance was people in Victorian times speculating about going to other planets with the technology they had (and in the Space 1899 series the spaceship engines were electrical). See Edison's Conquest of Mars for an example that was obviously very influential to Space 1899.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
I had a lot of disposable income in the '90s but was still a nerd for a long while. I owned every single one of those cards. I ended up trading a box full of them (including Fungusaur!) for my friend's wife.

Y-Hat posted:

Back in the Alpha days, there were no card limits for your deck, so you could have all the Chaos Orbs, Ancestral Recalls, and Plague Rats you wanted.

It was ridiculous. I played with a 250+ card 2-color deck that had over 70 ornithopters in it. That game was cheap in such an awesome way. I quit when they introduced multi-color heroes.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 3, 2011

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

woah woah woah lemme get this straight. You traded magic cards for your friend wife. As in, he pimped out his wife for magic cards...?

It was the '90s and it was a really good deck.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

elpintogrande posted:

Sorry, no, that is not sufficient. Full story.

This girl I knew in high school moved into the apartment building I was living in, and later married this guy who the Steve character really reminds me of, but he had dark brown hair in an exquisite mullet. She approached me to teach her how to play Magic, and when I met him he was extremely envious of my deck. One time over a game of X-Com or something I jokingly told him I'd trade it for a night with his wife (this was back around when that dumb movie with Redford and Demi Moore in it made that topical). He took me up on it, and I lost a deck that I could have got a couple of grand for if I took my time selling it. Then the wife and I went to The City, hung out at the cheesy goth club, and then crashed at one of my co-worker's apartment.

Basically made things a bit awkward and I'm pretty sure I didn't need to give up the deck to get the same results, but it makes a good story so it wasn't a total waste of cards.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

neoboman posted:

Yep, sounds like he lost allegedly TWO THOUSAND dollars to go on what seems like a horrible, awkward date with no payoff while the guy got the valuable deck and some time away from his chick. Yikes. Goony as gently caress.

It wasn't completely pointless, but I realized after I wrote about it that it wasn't really that great a story and was nerdy as hell, at that point continuing it would only make it sound only slightly less pathetic at best, and much more pathetic at worst. The guy could be a goon for all I know, too, and there may not be enough guys trading wives for Magic cards to maintain anonymity.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Axeface posted:

I've spent more than that on awkward dates.

insert rimshot here

There's a fine line between accurately describing an accurate date and comming across as the kind of person I realize I don't want to be. I've hosed up a few relationships and shouldn't celebrate anything that led to a break-up, whether I got my dick in a pussy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/heavy-metal-first/6/

The daughter of the guy who did the bottom one is a friend of my wife, after the artist died she gave my daughter a lot of his old art supplies. Don Ivan Punchatz also did the cover of the original Doom cover, and his son Gregor sculpted all the models that were photographed and digitized into the game. I never knew he did a Heavy Metal cover, but I saw that cover at an art show after his memorial service.

• Locked thread