Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Out of everything ridiculous and overdone in that book, the one that stuck out for me was the table on hiding by size range.

At Mega-Fine size, or between 48 and 96 miles tall, the creature gets a -64 modifier to its hide skill.

Now part of this might just be that I don't know the mechanics of the game (maybe that -64 is on some type of exponential scale?), but it might just be easier to say that once something gets to 75 miles tall, or even 10 miles tall, that it is not going to be hiding at all. But the chart follows the mathematical progression even when it stops making any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
As someone who is at least passingly familiar with most major RPGs, I think its odd that I've never seen TORG before. I would think that I would have seen at least a volume of it on he shelves of a Goodwill somewhere. Was this a regional thing?

One of the few problems with WTF, DnD (which is pretty much my favorite feature on SA) is that since its already successfully plumbed the craziest depths of the RPG world, anything else is going to be a let-down. Sure, this TORG stuff is full of 80s RPG tropes, but after we've seen Synnibar, its anticlimactic.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
And yet another post:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/rifts-cover-art.php

And did anyone else get the feeling that Rifts as heavily trying to imitate Rob Liefeld?

Also, my copy of World Book Africa had a different cover than the one pictured. I feel cheated now.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
The only problem with the latest update "Heroes Unlimited: The Justice Machine" is that it was Palladium at its most mediocre bad, instead of spectacularly bad. This looks like it was a "two months to publication time, no time to edit the art" type of failure, as opposed to "Kevin Siembieda wants to spend all his time and money publishing an epic about dinosaur robots fighting blind ninja assassin babes in alternative-dimension Japan".

Not, of course, that I am objecting. Especially since it has been so long since we have had an update.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope I don't seem too stupid for asking such a newbie question, but I've been reading these since they started, over five years, but I have no idea if Steve is a real person, or if he is just a comedic foil for Zach.

Maybe I don't want to know, maybe I am better off with the mystery?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm shocked they didn't use the cover image for the Mexico source book (I think) with the big ol fat bandito with a huge mustache and a couple bandoleers in a sombrero and poncho standing in front of his own wanted poster. Not really very 'Deadlands' since he's not shooting a zombie or fighting a native american dinosaur spirit but it's a pretty hilarious picture.

But it would be a travesty of justice to cover the Deadlands Mexico Source Book when they haven't covered the much more rich vein of the Rifts Mexico Source Book.

It has been the better part of a decade and they have only begin to unpack the RPG cheesiness.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
While this was a funny article, I don't think it quite managed to scratch the uselessness of Rifts OCCs/RCCs.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

homeless poster posted:

Zack seriously can't be hosed to update WTF DnD or Fashion SWAT or anything that was actually funny because he is terrified of success. If you read the giant steaming piles he called Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon and Liminal States, you'd know that his true calling is publishing unfunny pseudo-fiction narratives, as well as taking a moderately interesting premise for a sci-fi short story and stretching it into a million pages of banality.

I really liked Liminal States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Good news! On Facebook, Zack wrote: "Hard ticket back on track coming soon. New wtfs will be on this site (The Bad Guys Win)"

I hope Zack Parsons hasn't abandoned SA!
:ohdear:

• Locked thread