Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

In Call of Cthulhu it's not really an either/or deal. If something wants to turn you into a head on bug legs, it's going to happen.

As someone who played a character to whom this happened, I can swear to you all that the above statement is absolutely true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
It's a little hard to understand what's going on, but whatever it is looks creepy and cool.

BTW, you guys should absolutely play you some TORG. If you watch Rick and Morty, the "Ball-Fondlers" show with the lizard guy in the white suit firing an assault rifle from a helicopter could easily take place in the world of TORG.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
It's interesting that you guys used Daoloth as the antagonist in the adventure (as much as there was an antagonist). I don't recall any other published Mythos game material that does so. I recall from Call of Cthulhu that Daoloth was one of the few Outer Gods who didn't seem actively malevolent. He only showed up if specifically summoned and he pretty much functioned as an interdimensional travel agency. Sure, all those other dimension are mostly unlivable hellholes, but that's not his problem. Plus, he doesn't demand weird awful sacrifices if you worship him. Instead, he grants you cool traveling spells. He's like a cosmic Anthony Bourdain without the long-windiness or eating obsession.

Edit: I rechecked my CoC material. If you wanted to, you guys could send Betty to an alternate dimension forward in time and assume she closed her eyes and otherwise didn't look at Daoloth too much. You could have her be a Cthulhu-fighting Agent Carter type fighting in a world where the Nazi-mythoids took over.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 16, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's a little Steve in all of us, child.

But only because he has Plate Mail of Etherealness, a Ring of Teleportation and a twisted desire to inject his blood into sleeping people.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Granted that Deadlands: Hell on Earth had some silly poo poo in it (don't even get me started on the bullshit with two unkillable Stones). Still, for my money, Urban Renewal was a master class on how to run a horror scenario. The bit with the dolls, especially, provided some excellent nightmare fuel.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Heavy_D posted:

But I want to see a hilariously useless party who can't survive all super-soaker types, and I don't think Steve's inner power-gamer will let him create one.

See, you forgot that power-gamers "game to win." If they think Strength/Dexterity is a winning combo, they'll max those traits. If Stupid/Useless is the winning trait, those will be maxed. The best defense against power-gaming (aside from "get the gently caress out of my game") is a game like TORG where every stat-skill is potentially important, for example:

Power-gamer: "WTF my character fell in the Anti-matter reactor and died?!"

Game-Master: "Well, you decided to leave your Charisma at 1, giving you a Taunt defense of 1. So, when the evil little girl villain with a lisp called you a "Thtupid Thtupidhead who'th really, really Thtupid" and generated a 19, she got a Player's Call, which means your character does what she says as long as it fits the scene. She decided that you would try to long-jump the 15 meter gap to kill her in your Thtupid rage at being called a Thtupidhead. You failed by 5 meters, fell into the reactor and poofified. Next time roll up something more balanced and don't be a Thtupidhead.

Yes, the above actually happened in a real TORG game.

quote:

Zack: You get to run a Rifts game in the future.

Steve: You think that's a joke prize, but I am pumped. Get your Glitter Boys and Glitter Girls on the dance floor.

You guys should make it more "interesting" and have Steve run the RIFTS game for a party composed of the contest "winners." So, Zack's party should be made up of Charles the Waste Monkey, Ansel the Worldly Sasquatch and Vanessa the Candle Mage with the Strong Chin.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Heavy Metal is basically Playboy for nerds. Which now that I think about it is also Playboy.

• Locked thread