Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Portable Staplefrog posted:

At Something Awful, I expect something described as WTF to completely break my mind, and this did not, so I felt a little let down. Does this mean there's something wrong with the article or me?
The commentary was still very funny and it's good to see Steve back.

Does this mean there's something wrong with the article or me?

[There's] something wrong with [...] me[.]

I love the fashion swat style articles and it took me a few moments to figure out that is what was on my hands. Loved the [probably manufactured] bewilderment zack had at Malak's responses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

These articles are amazing. I look forward to more. Also malak is awesome as always, and zack plays a good straight man.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

elpintogrande posted:

These are the first complaints I've seen about the highlighting, but I'll try to make it clear what is highlighted in future installments.

I like how you did it in the lastest one but yeah the first few installments I wasn't sure if it was the book or you and then what I was supposed to be reading. Lets be honest most of the descriptions are pretty ridiculous so reading it all doesn't really narrow it down.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

John Dyne posted:

4e bards get a move called 'Vicious Mockery' that does damage by making fun of the enemy, and it also gives -2 to attack.

So yeah it's not exactly 'rock so hard their face flies off' but they're getting there and are no longer the crummy little rogue-wanna-bes that can also buff the party.

Well at that point you just have to change the name of the move for the same effects. There's no reason your couldn't associate the various buffs and songs a bard gets with a vicious, shreadable guitar solo. Role Play that poo poo out, more fun that way!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

It's a lot sexier if you imagine the girl chained to the urinal just has a bad nosebleed.

It's pretty hosed up. I'll defend art on a lot of levels, but jesus, in your Role Playing Game? That's the sort of visual you want players going in with? Good god.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I agree the picture is all kinds of messed up, though it may fit the mood of most World of Darkness RPGs (every time I played people either wanted to just talk snobby to each other in accents or engage in violent perversion, so I went back to D&D). I wasn't completely serious, just making a joke about violence against women being sexier than menstruation.

I guess what I mean is that being part of someone's role playing adventure. Which is generally a group of dudes. Which is weird.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The two times I played Vampire: The Masquerade, the group was mostly female. That may have been the problem. Obese attention whores trying to out-evil each other are not as funny as you would think.

Now that I think about it I had a girlfriend that was into world of darkness, and like 3 or 4 members of her group were girls. Women and vampires :psyduck:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have no idea why people hate steampunk so much aside from perhaps the people who like steam punk.

The hate for it seems really put upon and forced.

I liked the the article, especially Steve's comeback "Sorry they can't all be WWII alternate history scenarios where goblins get elected Hitler. How's that for relevant? You know in case we have a Hitler problem or whatever with goblins."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

raezr posted:

Yeah there's nothing at all intrinsically stupid about steam powered spaceships in the 1800s.

...and dragons and rolling dice and playing in a basement all day are intrinsically smart? It's the same poo poo, who cares, why get angry about it?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

neoboman posted:

I think there's a video game about that, I saw it at Gamestop once but didn't have the $1.99 they were charging.

No you didn't.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I ended up trading a box full of them (including Fungusaur!) for my friend's wife.

woah woah woah lemme get this straight. You traded magic cards for your friend wife. As in, he pimped out his wife for magic cards...?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I never got into magic, but I love watching my friend's play. I got a blown up version of that chaos orb from a gencon years back and my friend kept laughing manically about the two he had in his deck.

It was the '90s and it was a really good deck.

:drat:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

At the beginning of your upkeep, if any player controls Shred of Dignity, remove Failed Cuck Wife from the game.

I thought it was a good story. The best anecdotes end in an exchange of he listener's disappointment and the speaker's apologies, followed by a frank discussion of what went wrong. Golden.

Nah it was a cock tease. He slipped it in like we were all gonna go "oh hey gently caress yeah man high to the five!" only for him to go "yeah... er, okay maybe I exaggerated."

At that point he should have just lied.

"Yup, that's what I said. I hosed a guys wife for a nice magic card deck. That's pretty much the story!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the first installment was legitimately one of the funniest DnD updates they've done, so I was a bit disappointed by the second. At first I thought it might have been a problem with Steve being the player character, but looking back he had some really funny ideas. The scenario just sounds like it was dumb, and I'm kind of glad to hear Zack and Steve were having trouble adapting it and not that it was really good and they just did a poo poo job.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I've been enjoying it a lot. The first one was sublime, the second was... odd, and this one was fun but felt very short, and having the characters killed in droves (as the game dictates) kind of makes it hard to keep connected to it all.

Basically my problem with this one (while still enjoying it!) was that we got some fun new characters and then they are immediately devoured by an omnipotent slug.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Between the loss of Karnov, the previous installments death of that hilarious southern dandy, and the 8 year old rich kid being immediately driven insane, Chang getting off scott free and staying away from all this horror nonsense is probably the most likely outcome.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They mention specifically that there are like 3 or 4 different street fighter RPGs.

Not that the characters for street fighter are particularly deep or well rounded but aren't they the only reason anyone would want to have anything to do with street fighter? It's not like they inhabit a particularly lush world.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That sounds like a zack one

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I laughed really hard at this installment, and kind of wished there was a podcast of this instead of a few short pages (even though I realize you guys probably just shot the poo poo over AIM or something until you had enough for the article)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

Trivia: Yadda being called a 'Yoda creature' is perfectly accurate. Yoda's species is the one species from the movies that George Lucas forbade EU authors from exploring.

Also: banned anything about the clone wars, prior to the prequels being released.

Motherfucker def should have let zahn at that one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Aren't Wookies the only species not allowed to be force sensitive?

Literally droids have been force sensitive. Erry one get jedi in dis piece.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

door Door door posted:

Steve's Kurt is much more high functioning than Zack's.

I get the impression steve was more punishing as a DM for effects of drug use / withdrawl.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Where is Hard Ticket to Baghdad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So what is the update schedule for this other site? I see one wtf dnd article and a couple of front page-ish updates but the ravenloft thing was like 3 weeks ago

• Locked thread