Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jesus that loving module is brutal. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and the summary there is pretty hilarious, too.

"The module is divided into 33 encounters, beginning with two false entrances to the tomb, and ending with "The Crypt of Acererak the Demi-Lich". Example encounters are the "Huge Pit Filled with 200 Spikes" (section 20), or encounter 22, "The Cavern of Gold and Silver Mists": "The mists are silvery and shot through with delicate streamers of golden color. Vision extends only 6'. There is a dim aura of good if detected for. Those who step into the mist must save versus poison or become idiots until they can breath the clean air above ground under the warm sun.""

'Okay, guys. We have a lot of poo poo that instantly kills people, and Bob, I love your idea for the room that teleports them naked to the front of the dungeon through the mouth of that thing that kills them instantly, love it, adore it. But how about this: a room that makes your character completely non-functonal JUST BY STEPPING INTO IT. gently caress yeah, huh?'

e: I downloaded the module from their website, and.. wow. This trap is just bizarre.

"If the characters follow the “advice” of the pointing skeleton, a powerful effect re qu i res each character making the trip to make two DC 20 Will saving throws, though characters can choose not to resist the effect. If the first save is failed, the alignment of the wearer is altered as radically as possible. If a character passing through the arch for the first time fails the second saving throw, the character’s gender switches."

:psyduck: 'You failed your saving throw and your dick falls off. You are now female.'

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's up with the grey highlighting in the descriptions? I've never seen one of these books and it seems totally random.

That's Zack and Steve's doing; it's not actually like that in the books. It's to add emphasis and draw the eye to the parts that aren't greyed out (which is usually made fun of in the discussion below the picture.)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anonymous Robot posted:

My eyes naturally went to the brighter portions, when you were actually pointing out the dark shades.

Actually the parts that aren't shaded are the ones being pointed out; take the first one for example, with the glue mummy and the part highlighted about it secreting a glue that makes everything stick to it and being able to voluntarily secrete the solvent. It makes more sense to think that's being highlighted than the part immediately following it about the monster taking half-damage from weapons and poo poo like that (which they don't even mention in the article, because it isn't really that dumb.)

It wouldn't make sense for people to NOT read that and you should naturally be inclined to read the brighter parts that are easier to read, and even if you don't the fact they discuss the brighter parts more than the darker should be a huge context clue.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Offkorn posted:

You should be naturally inclined to read something that isn't highlighted over something that is? Really?

uhh how is making it darker highlighting it

highlights are generally, you know, LIGHTER than the stuff around them. take blonde highlights in brown hair or a bright yellow marker in black and white text

which is what the bright rear end white vs dull grey is in the article

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 21, 2009

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DoctorTristan posted:

I saw a first-edition rulebook a while back, and their early stuff was a lot weirder - they took races straight from the high fantasy games without thinking whether they made sense in a space setting. Orks and Eldar have survived, but there used to be space dwarves, space frogs, space centaurs, and all sorts.

'Hold on, guys, I see a horse in that black hole. Wayyyy down there, gonna jetpack down there and sit on that horse FOR THE EMPEROR.'

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Offkorn posted:

Apparently you've never used a highlighter before, because "making the highlighted portion stand out by adding a colored background to it" is what they do.

What about Blond hair with Black highlights? Because that's what this example has far more similarity with. Highlights have everything to do with the background color. Dark Highlights are used for light backgrounds, and light highlights are used for dark backgrounds.

A highlight is meant to draw your attention to the altered section. And a gray block most certainly does stand out in a field of white.

You may also want to visit some forums with built in color-coding options, as you'll then see that you can highlight text in any color imaginable. Even black.

A highlighter adds a brighter color to the text to bring it out. You do not have black or grey highlighters, and if you do highlight by that method you do so by not using the marker on the text you want highlighted. And there are no such thing as 'black highlights.' When you apply a darker color to a brighter color, in regards to hair especially, that is called 'lowlighting.'

The definition of highlighting is to emphasize, usually with a brighter color. 'An area or a spot in a drawing, painting, or photograph that is strongly illuminated.' White is 'more illuminated' than grey. Yes, the grey stands out in a field of white, but it's emphasizing the white, not the grey, by standard definitions.

And yes, you can 'highlight' in any color but highlighting with black on a forum makes the text white which STILL draws your eyes to the white. The point of highlighting is to draw your eye to the brigher parts, and your eye SHOULD be naturally drawn to look at more illuminated areas because they're easier to spot.

All of this is moot and arguing semantics, however, because they've gone from the grey and white to red. You guys is just weird with your 'oh let's try to read the darker part instead of the bright part.' :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I saw the image for 'Brandon's Bard-in-a-Box' and just started laughing. They honestly went to their artists and said, 'draw a halfling with sunglasses jamming to a boombox, and make him look urban' and their artists didn't quit on the spot.

You have got to be making GBS threads me. This book is awesome.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
One for colors, one for whites, one for delicate fabrics, and one to rinse!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Holy gently caress Bluegrass about killed me. I wonder where the franchise would've gone if they'd used the monster manual for their table top game to add in new fighters.

I mean, come on. Bluegrass. The Spanish Ninja with the brain of a 13 year old girl.

Jesus Christ.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Sister Miyagi posted:

I'm very disappointed in you both. :colbert:

Vader got his hand cut off in the second prequel so technically they're right. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

bhlaab posted:

It's based off of street fighter

A game where a Russian man in a speedo grabbed a polar bear and jumped into a nearby tornado so he could suplex the bear better and where a very tan Japanese man punched out a US navy sub at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

The whole universe is meant to be absurd. I think 'horse meat and sour mash' is just on the low side of the absurdity.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I love the half-assed job they did for the wizard on the cover. Torn sleeves, lovely wizard hat, lookin' kinda buff, swashbuckler gloves. Come on now.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ah, the great war between the cave demons and the tree demons. Such ideological differences rocked the worldship to its very organic electronic core. It was a day where even the coonman wept alongside his cyborg mutant archer brother.

what the gently caress is this poo poo

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I think a couple of these characters were in the old Fashion SWAT for comic books. I always did want to know if the Aquarian was single.

I also like that the anagram for the stats is FASERIP.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The whole thing seemed like it'd actually be the plot to one of the 90's X-Men comics.

ALLLLL ABOARD

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dectilon posted:

Man, if bards actually played like this no one would ever play a mage ever again.

4e bards get a move called 'Vicious Mockery' that does damage by making fun of the enemy, and it also gives -2 to attack.

So yeah it's not exactly 'rock so hard their face flies off' but they're getting there and are no longer the crummy little rogue-wanna-bes that can also buff the party.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I only owned Rifts for about 3 days, I had a really cool game store owner who gave me my money back when I showed him how stupid mega damage was, but I can still remember this one. It's a guy in shiny powered armor with a really big gun (so big that the armor automatically fires stakes into the ground from the feet before firing because of recoil). Aside from their name, they were actually not terrible at all, which was very rare in Rifts. In a game full of insanely overpowered characters, a shiny man with a really big gun was not that weird of a character concept.

Glitter Boys were also laser-reflective, which is where they got their names.

I played briefly with some friends and I played a grackletooth, which is basically a giant hillbilly crocodile with a heart of gold, and yeah, MD was pretty doofy. With a team of a mystic and a cyber-knight, I was the only person capable of normally dealing and surviving mega-damage, which made things very hard to balance for our GM. It was either give me a challenging fight and let the others get reamed, or I rip up a tree and beat 15 guys to death with it in one or two swings.

It was fun as hell but it sure as hell wasn't made to be a numbers game, I don't think. It's more of a vehicle for doofy poo poo.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Well some people bookmark or favorite threads, and I usually just click the small 'SA Front Page Discussion' link under GBS before I actually go to GBS itself. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The guy with the melty head and the half-gorilla dude actually WERE created in the 1950's. :v: Though Chondu's whole story sort of unravels sort of like a bad dream, as well:

quote:

Doctor Strange later mystically placed Chondu's consciousness within the body of a fawn. The Headmen then gave Chondu a monstrous, demonic-looking form with eight lampreys for arms, bat-wings, a horn from his skull, a forked tongue, and eagle’s feet. In this form, he had superhuman strength, could fly, and could constrict objects with his tentacle-like arms. This drove Chondu insane.

Also:

Schwarzwald posted:

Personally, I think the funniest line was from the book itself, and not from the commentary:

"Occupation: Conqueror"

"Marital Status: Single"

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 6, 2012

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Warhammer Fantasy is one of those series that would just do well with WTF, DnD; it has so many goddamned charts it'd be Steve's dream come true.

There's a chart in Tome of Salvation, a 2nd Edition book, to determine what your randomly generated religious man will be wearing. Options include nothing, and a pig for a hat, complete with illustration of said man with pig on head.

It also fetches you art like this, for a 'used horse salesman' class.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

elpintogrande posted:

Here is the other KKK pentagram dudes picture:

I legitmately have no loving clue what sort of monster that's supposed to be. Is this from the first set of Warhammer Fantasy books? What the hell does the book say it is?

Cause I know they've changed so much dumb poo poo and deciding 'yeah the tentacle monster with 20 mouths is a bit much' would be something they'd do so they can replace it with a dumbass bird monster.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Look what you've done, General Ironicus.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/save-synnibarr-mccracken.php

I have never seen a picture of McCracken so now that I see him actually talking and moving, I can't help but think he looks like a Steve Martin character.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

The fact that there have already been a few people socially maladjusted enough to admit to playing this poo poo kind of indicates its core demographic already.

I'd like to think there's a difference in these guys playing it once in a 'ha ha this game looks WEIRD let's try it' kinda way versus having an on-going campaign.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Well, they do have a Dragonball Z RPG. It's pretty well a turd, though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The best part of Kurt's equipment was the Bart Simpson t-shirt, hands down. I wonder what kind of skill bonuses it gives.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mr. Maltose posted:

This just made the Trad Games Secret Santa a whole lot more interesting.

Seriously. I saw the dragon stapler and was horribly tempted to use that and some other stupid thing as a gift. I'll probably get one for one of my friends as a gag gift.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I thought the cat-man was checking his smartphone at first.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The dungeon is called 'Steve's Dungeon.' That is the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Alpha3KV posted:

It's over a week old at this point, but they did an article about the 3rd Edition Monster Manual V:
http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2015/11/wtf-dd-monster-manual-v-3e/

Also, another beautiful Palladium book is covered.

http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2015/11/wtf-dd-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-after-the-bomb-palladium/

Why did they move to Bad Guys Win, anyways? Is that Parson's own site?

• Locked thread