Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I don't want you two dudes to get burnt out on these articles or anything, but they're totally sweet so keep 'em coming. In fact, did Drizzt & his Dark Elf homies come from a pen and paper game? I think they did, so do that one if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I do like how it looks like the devil guy has to threaten the lizard to get it to do anything. "Goddamnit! Turn right you piece of poo poo!"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I just realized something about early D&D. It's totally loving ridiculous. If someone today come up with a goddamn magic dishwasher that A) looks exactly like a real dishwasher and B) operates via -albeit magical- manual labor, they'd probably have to publish their own game. But in early D&D, they'll take any flavor text they can get. The long and short of it is, I suppose, that had a particular zeitgeist come into being a fair bit sooner, those crazy-rear end anime maid games would be part of TSR canon.

But if there're three skeletons, why do they need four buckets?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

My favorite was that dragon. What the hell kind of enemey is a literal walking arsenal with everything from a triple particle cannon to emergency smokebombs that attacks by punching? Hell, it's claws are probably vibroblades, if it didn't open it's hand it could probably kill you that much more effectively.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think the first two pages might've been my favorite.

quote:

Zack: Steve, are you being a dick to me?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Please, please do a review of the sourcebook for a game called Wraeththu.

See it's an RPG system based in a world where the next step in human evolution is a boy george-esque androgyne with an acid-shooting sea anenome penis and they capture people and convert them by draining their blood or something in a warehouse and uh uh and then there's a really funny section where the author of the book provides strategies for goading your players into having phone sex with each other.

It might be one of those things that is so out there and bizarre that it's impossible to make fun of, but it's definitely worth looking into.

Zack is really good at being mean, so this would be a walk in the park. It would be a great test of Steve's enthusiasm, though.

Also I'm reminded of a game I've heard about where you have to roleplay teenagers having sex in order to power up super robots and fight alien invaders. Was that a thing?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I'm glad there wasn't more than one game that fit my description.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I thought for sure Eric the Red So Fine's name must've been Photoshopped in. It's just... what train of logic could possibly end with that?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Victor Surge posted:

Fantastic job as always. It makes me want to take a ruler and make random lines until a mech design appears.

These mech designs are more angular & blocky than my fifth grade notebook doodles, which were more or less entirely stealth tanks, robo-mans, and X-Wings/TIE Fighters.

It's hard to pick out a dorkiest design though, they're all so indistinct.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

I really kind of like the idea of Zack and Steve as those kinds of Angry, Old School Grognard types who can't accept the changes Wizards made.

Or better yet, the semi-offical World of Warcraft tabletop RPG.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

If that's what it took to make the game enjoyable, then I'm happy with it.

I don't know if you mean the WoWification of D&D or the tabletopization of WoW, but I didn't mean to lambaste anything. I meant I like the idea of Zack & Steve as diehard D&D fans who would mercilessly mock the tabletop Warcraft game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

quote:

Zack: If the general public heard there were real vampires at a night club that place would be packed tighter than a Kardashian at a VIP Super Bowl party with pasty sdancing white girls in search of their Edward to fly them to a treetop and gently caress the crocs right off their cankles.

Steve: You want to think about it for a minute and then see if you can come up with a tenth reference for that sentence?

Zack: No, I'm good.

This is the best thing I've read all year.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I feel like you could just mock a page a day and get 477 updates outta this bitch.

Edit: Ahahaha, the raccoon is checking his watch! I didn't notice that before.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 2, 2010

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Should I be mad at the Monstrous Compendium for ripping off Bio-Boosted Armor Guyver or just ashamed of myself for catching it?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I just found out that Ronnie James Dio died. No more Frazetta; No more Dio. Whatever the opposite of Totally Sweet is, that's how I feel right now.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

The Seventies saw a push toward greater use of international characters. However, this was not accompanied by a greater knowledge of foreign countries; without Crocodile Dundee to go by comic makers only had the one thing, so they ran with it.

Of course, even if your country did have a well-known national character, you'd still get a clod like Captain Britain.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Crimsonjewfro posted:

The fire bat description made me think of those horrible "HOLY gently caress, IT'S A [completely mundane thing, like a hat]!!!" memes. Like "YOU THINK IT'S JUST A BAT OF FIRE? NO, IDIOT, IT'S A loving BAT ON FIRE!". How very avant-garde. The fundamentals are also totally not batwings, nope.

I've played enough Zelda that it's just a Fire Keese to me.

But there's something very Boris Vallejo about the genre of monster that is Real Animal, On Fire. It's always something potentially symbolic, but not in that way. People don't mentally associate the same kinds of danger with fire as they do with bats; and it's never a loving Fire Hedgehog or some poo poo.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

This is going to be the best Something Awful art contest sponsored by an outside company since the J-List contest.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/kevin-siembieda-aspergers.php

Sure am sad I missed that discussion about whether steampunk was dumb and fun or dumb and annoying, but I think we can all agree that superheroes are inherently awesome & that security guard uniforms have never been so affordable! Buy now!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, they're pretty heavy handed with the "NO CONVERSIONS!" policy. RIFTS conversions are hard to find on the 'net.

Which is a shame since if you decoupled the crazy-rear end setting from the creaky and confusing system you could actually have a pretty good game.

It'd be like Gamma World except exactly like Gamma World with no differences.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Battletech Loves the 80's

Featuring one of the best, and coincidentally most-80's, images of any WTF article.

Edit: Speaking of Battletech and by extension Robotech, I think they'd make good subjects for a Blue Stripe article. I've always been fascinated by the number of maintenance hours fighter jets need for every hour of flight, but imagine adding the wear and tear of transforming into a robot onto that.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 20, 2011

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/steve-top-module.php?page=1

Congrats to all the winners, placers and so forth in this year's contest! And as for the article discussing it- this just further supports my theory that Steve is not real, but rather a creation of Zack for the purpose of making fun of stereotypes about D&D players. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

If Steve "Malak" Sumner did not exist, it would be necessary to create him.

-Oscar Wilde

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think what really says it all is the fact they have standardized armor. Literally all alien bodies are 99% the same as humans from the neck down.

Yeop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

IntelligentCalcium posted:

The worst part of today's installment is knowing that someone is going to send an email defending it. At least one person.

I figure its only possible if you fall back on "It's a satire!" and assume all the underage lesbian rape is there for verisimilitude. It's too upfront with all that stuff to try to say its an unintentional or optional part of the game.

• Locked thread