Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Double posting because gently caress you dad

Found a park 20 minutes away instead of 30+. Went for about an hour, couldn't get out of my own head again when I first got there and couldn't even get on without stumbling. Finally relaxed and tried to get comfortable, few tic tacs and did some squats to try and teach myself where and how to stay balanced. Set my goal for the day to push, get my feet correct and roll till I ran out of room. Did that, so new goal was push, back on board, push again, back on board. Managed to do that and skate all around the flats in the park. Then went home because my legs were jello, and immediately wanted to go back.

That top area in the 2nd pic has a bowl/pool up there that I never got brave enough to even go look at. I think next goal is to roll up and down a ramp, and after that will be push, roll up mini ramp, roll out fakie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7292600763505790251

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

That kick flip is going to win us ww3.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Finally ate poo poo twice today after it being my biggest fear for the last month.

I'm fine, but definitely going to get some pads and just look like a loser. Thankfully it was on skatelite instead of concrete.

It was empty and the sweat slam marks made me laugh. One was coming in at an angle and trying to kick turn back side, which turned into a powerslide that quickly became a bs180 manual to self powerbomb. The other was trying to learn a tailslide stop, pretty sure I didn't have my heel off enough cause as soon as board hit wood that poo poo launched

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

iwentdoodie posted:

Finally ate poo poo twice today after it being my biggest fear for the last month.

I'm fine, but definitely going to get some pads and just look like a loser. Thankfully it was on skatelite instead of concrete.

It was empty and the sweat slam marks made me laugh. One was coming in at an angle and trying to kick turn back side, which turned into a powerslide that quickly became a bs180 manual to self powerbomb. The other was trying to learn a tailslide stop, pretty sure I didn't have my heel off enough cause as soon as board hit wood that poo poo launched

Hell yeah

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
No pain today so lfg

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Jason Park dropped his new video part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzpsH4EcXTE
Lot of cool, weird stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi skategoons, I'm almost 40 and getting back into this, ordered a complete online that should come in tomorrow or the next day and hopefully it stays dry. There's a million skateparks around me (metro Vancouver). Looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

VelociBacon posted:

Hi skategoons, I'm almost 40 and getting back into this, ordered a complete online that should come in tomorrow or the next day and hopefully it stays dry. There's a million skateparks around me (metro Vancouver). Looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe.

Go slow, have fun, and don't compare yourself to the other people at the park, and most importantly, your past self.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VelociBacon posted:

Maybe dumb question but won't it be like too cold and or snowy really soon to skate? But still, awesome. I feel like I've run into you in pretty much every hobby thread I've been in lol

Went out to a new park this morning with buddy who got me into this, took me like an hour but I finally got some lil baby carves.

And now just ate lunch and will likely go back solo this afternoon to do it some more.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They could be an Aussie?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Maybe dumb question but won't it be like too cold and or snowy really soon to skate? But still, awesome. I feel like I've run into you in pretty much every hobby thread I've been in lol

Went out to a new park this morning with buddy who got me into this, took me like an hour but I finally got some lil baby carves.

And now just ate lunch and will likely go back solo this afternoon to do it some more.

Clearly we are soulmates!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

They could be an Aussie?

No he's right, it's nearly time for it to snow here (currently 11am and 1C {34F}). I do have some covered areas around me that I can skate in, actually I live above a mall and I'm not above going down to my underground parking/the mall parking and skating there. There's also multiple indoor skateparks here in Vancouver and one is extremely close to me, but I'm not really at a point where I want to pay to skate somewhere yet - it would be a bit of a waste.

I grew up skating with a younger brother outside in our culdesac, my dad helped us build ramps, rails, little boxes etc that we used almost every day for probably 7 or 8 years. I'm hoping to get him to bring his board down to my area to come skate with me again but he's actually defending a dissertation in a couple weeks so probably not going to be taking any chances before then.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My bit of the UK is definitely getting cold n wet, still haven't got full motion back after my elbow surgery but the call of the board is getting louder every day.

I know you can't prevent/mitigate everything (and yeah, elbow pads), but does anyone else have experience of looking after a previously dislocated elbow when skating?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I went to the skatepark this AM when it was below freezing and had to stop when the snow started coming down.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's 1C here, I just got a bit high and had a couple beers and went to the loading bays under my condo and did the first shuv it in 25 years for me. Can't wait for it to get warmer, I don't think our skateparks are even stateable right now due to debris all over.

https://i.imgur.com/4kp1aQm.mp4

Felt so good to be back on it.

ps: the leo baker sig shoes feel so good, the front feels like a vulk shoe and the heel feels super cushioned. Old man ankles protected by a bit of mid rise also.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
:hellyeah:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

VelociBacon posted:

Clearly we are soulmates!

No he's right, it's nearly time for it to snow here (currently 11am and 1C {34F}). I do have some covered areas around me that I can skate in, actually I live above a mall and I'm not above going down to my underground parking/the mall parking and skating there. There's also multiple indoor skateparks here in Vancouver and one is extremely close to me, but I'm not really at a point where I want to pay to skate somewhere yet - it would be a bit of a waste.

I grew up skating with a younger brother outside in our culdesac, my dad helped us build ramps, rails, little boxes etc that we used almost every day for probably 7 or 8 years. I'm hoping to get him to bring his board down to my area to come skate with me again but he's actually defending a dissertation in a couple weeks so probably not going to be taking any chances before then.

I thought that about pay parks too since I literally can't do poo poo, but I went a couple times when it was raining and it was actually a good motivator for progress. Also helps that it's a legit af park that hosts pro and am contests

E: and weather is so beautiful here rn

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 25, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Go in the mornings and there's usually the older guys (In Vancouver anyway) who are totally cool, regardless of your skill level.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Skated 4hrs, finally kick turned and hit 2 steep banks for the first time. My quads are jello.

I am also gonna see if I can't get a helmet while sales are still ongoing

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Go in the mornings and there's usually the older guys (In Vancouver anyway) who are totally cool, regardless of your skill level.

I think this is universally true. When I go around 8am, it's all old farts who are pretty cool. Here's me a couple months ago on my 54th birthday grinding the 7' section of the bowl for the first time (well, probably the 3rd time, but this was the first day I could do it)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's badass. And same knee pads I got because wtf I am not paying 120 for knee pads.

Old guy skating is also the mornings here. Most parks don't open till 9 and 10, so first like 3hrs is old guys. Then another set of old guys the last 2hrs the parks are open.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Lol got helmet

Immediately slammed harder than ever doing something I've done countless times without a helmet

Immediately got back up and did it, but left soon after cause lol gently caress me that sucked

E: 4hrs later everything feels fine other than my neck. I tried to tuck my head like usual and the helmet apparently poo poo whipped my neck during it. Hip is definitely gonna bruise like a mfer

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 28, 2023

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
New Pedro Delfino part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_DUUV2QVAU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

SOTY Season is here.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Two minutes and thirty seven seconds of WTF by Yuto Horigome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLuur2b97Es

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Two minutes and thirty seven seconds of WTF by Yuto Horigome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLuur2b97Es

Came here to post it. What a madman, Yuto has to be the most effortless looking skater.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Tony's supposed last video part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdlcFg4-6sM

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I'm sure he'll have clips here and there in the future but I believe him when he says this is his last official video part. He's 55 and probably retiring all the tricks he did in this video. Nollie 270 shove-it to lipslide over the gap is insane. Good to see guest clips from the OG Bones Brigade as well.

ArmedZombie posted:

for harder durometer wheels you probably won't notice a difference, but some people swear by formula 4. supposedly powell dragons are the old guy wheel of choice, but i haven't ridden them.

As a confirmed old, I can vouch for Dragons. They absorb some of the vibrations of rough pavement like a 93A wheel, but slide like a harder wheel. They just sound a little odd when they slide. They don't have that signature chirp of a conventional street wheel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Do they flat spot from powerslides or chunk off at all?

Not that I need another set of wheels, but still. I'm already talking myself down from getting an actual cruiser board until I can drop in and actually carve above transition.

Finally got kick turns on banks mostly sorted out, starting to be less of a bitch with going down them, and from my short sesh this morning I think I'm over my fear of falling now since I ate poo poo twice (and hit the same loving spot on my leg both times on initial contact) and kept at it.

Found an amazing old guy park, but its 45 minutes away with no traffic :emo: there's like one rail in the park and the rest is entirely transition and banks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Man I wanna skate at the old man pavement

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

iwentdoodie posted:

Do they flat spot from powerslides or chunk off at all?

I think dragons really shine on chunky stuff like asphalt and rough cement, they also seem to slide better/more on that type of surface.
I think using them at a smooth skate park is probably not necessary, regular wheels would be fine and probably faster, but in the streets they are nice.
They don't seem to chunk or flat spot and they seem basically like regular bones wheels except they are a smoother ride on the chunky stuff and they slide nice for soft wheels (soft wheels typically don't slide that great).

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

So far no flatspots with mine. But I haven't been doing a lot of bluntslides or tailslides lately. I'll test them out on some ledges and curbs.

Lumpy posted:

I think this is universally true. When I go around 8am, it's all old farts who are pretty cool. Here's me a couple months ago on my 54th birthday grinding the 7' section of the bowl for the first time (well, probably the 3rd time, but this was the first day I could do it)

I want to skate a modern bowl like this with mellow transition and the tiles under the coping. The bowl closest to me is nice but it was designed in the late 2000s for Antihero pro riders so the deep end of the bowl has like 3 feet of vert and a little bit of oververt. I get flashbacks to watching Free Solo every time I peer over the edge and contemplate dropping into it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Man I wanna skate at the old man pavement

https://teampain.com/projects/jackson-springs-fl-2/

UFOTacoMan posted:

I think dragons really shine on chunky stuff like asphalt and rough cement, they also seem to slide better/more on that type of surface.
I think using them at a smooth skate park is probably not necessary, regular wheels would be fine and probably faster, but in the streets they are nice.
They don't seem to chunk or flat spot and they seem basically like regular bones wheels except they are a smoother ride on the chunky stuff and they slide nice for soft wheels (soft wheels typically don't slide that great).

Sweet. I think I'm gonna grab one of those zero misfit coffin decks, so those might be perfect. I have a 9" antihero deck on some super juice minis for rolling around the neighborhood, but I keep wanting a shaped deck. Rolled around on a guys Heroin board and it was a loving riot.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
More Gou Miyagi? Sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK8K4Ghhtd0

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

gently caress yes I've never been this excited to click on a YouTube thumbnail!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lumpy posted:

This poo poo just breaks my brain

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

A time-honored holiday tradition returns. The latest Tired video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccaNxZHC_4

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I finally went above transition on a vert wall (7 or 8' wall) and it felt loving amazing to carve out of it.

And all it took was my buddy getting tired of me angling in too shallow so he stood in the way of where I'd turn, and by the time I realized it, I also realized I really didn't want to eat poo poo that high up and going that fast so I figured it out.

Going to try and drop in on a mini Tuesday.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Baker has a Deathwish Part 2 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmow3CV5KU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

this is rad and I'm only 20 minutes in