Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma
I used to ride for 2 local shops in the Midwest, skated for about 9 or 10 years, then I shattered my knee and the ligaments surrounding it. Just realized it wasn't worth it anymore and quit. I went on my skateboard after reading this thread to roll around, I did 2 360 flips in a row went for a third and shot out on the landing and tore the tendon in my elbow. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma

donJonSwan posted:

Get something fairly wide, 8.5 or so. Starting out on a toothpick is only going to lead to frustration. The type of deck itself doesn't much matter, and as mentioned in this thread a few times before.. buy locally. Even if it costs an extra 20 bucks.

Trucks don't much matter either (don't buy the lovely generic stuff), but if you're going to skate transition or want to carve you should replace your bushings with Bones mediums.

I'd start with big and soft wheels. 60mm Bones Soft Cores would be my suggestion - they'll roll smooth on the street and are big enough to give you a little extra speed in skateparks.

8.5 is Gigantic, I have size 14 shoes and I ride a 7.5. I would recommend a 8 at the highest. Unless your a big (and by that I mean BIG) guy there is no reason for a 8.5. Wheels though yeah go with 60mm I only rode accel wheels, no idea if they are still in business. Destructo *if still around are the best trucks you will find for starting off.

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma

Bona Weiss posted:

Two questions:

Can anybody give me some pointers on a kickflip? I'm sure that I'm making an error in my foot placement or angle in which I flick the board, because it will flip edge over edge but consistently lands at a 90 degree angle. I've browsed the Youtbe how-to videos and read the pointers, but I somehow keep kicking the board to an angle. Perhaps there is a well-known common mistake I'm making?

Secondly, what's a good skateboarding forum with maybe a slightly older or less ADD inflicted user base? I'd love to find a site in which the threads read like this one, as opposed to what I keep finding which is:

Maybe I've just been lurking the wrong forums?

Kickflips, theres a couple things. To get the right rotation try moving your foot up a little more on the board this will produce a slower flip. When you do a kickflip soon as you see the griptape side come around you should be pushing your feet back down onto the deck. DO NOT do a kickflip let the board hit the ground and you land on it, This will cause ALOT of injuries. Its up to you on where your foot should be because each person flick differently, I myself put my toes just to the left of the front 4 bolts holding the truck in. This helps me keep the board even in the air and produces a slower and cooler looking flip.

In a way you should be "catching" the board in the air with your feet.