Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I just finished Season One and wow. I'm loving pumped for Season Two. Can't wait! I do have one question. I don't need any major spoilers, a simple "yes" or "no" will do, but I gotta know: Does that creepy Armenian guy who escaped midway through the season ever come back? I thought he was going to play an important role in the rest of season because of how much they were playing him up as a villain, but he never came back up again. I mean, they closed the case on the prostitute killer, so why not him?

A simple yes or no is fine. I just gotta know.

Also, I jumped on that $20.00 a pop season thing on Amazon. Killer deal. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
-yes-

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Smorgasbord posted:

-yes-

Niiiiiice.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
The final season getting some props from the critics.

Variety posted:

FX's The Shield, which ended its seven-season run in November, is the most-nominated show for the upcoming Television Critics Assn. Awards.

The Shield will take on Lost, Mad Men, Saturday Night Live and Battlestar Galactica for program of the year.

The Shield was also nominated for top drama and the TCA Heritage Award, while co-star Walton Goggins was recognized for individual achievement in a drama.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

tomapot posted:

Stoked for Walton Goggins, he deserves a ton of awards for his work on The Shield.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Smorgasbord posted:

Stoked for Walton Goggins, he deserves a ton of awards for his work on The Shield.
Sure, he did great but I hate his guts as a result. On I think it was the season 5 commentary he said that whenever he went anywhere he'd get boo'd or have people 'jokingly' tell them how much they hate him, but whenever Kenny Johnson went anywhere people would want to be his buddy.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Season 2 ending is probably my favorite minus the finale.

The music, and Vic laughing with the money. I think if it has not klicked to you by then, that is the moment when you realize that this guy is not a good guy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Smorgasbord posted:

Did he come up with Cletus Van Damme?

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Just finished 4 after a long hiatus from watching 123 over a short space, it didn't seem to live up. I'm pretty happy that people say that the last 3 are the best, should make it very enjoyable.

My favourite moment so far...

Season 2 (I think, if you haven't watched 3 then don't hover just in case)
The Mexican criminal genius they built up as being completely untouchable, who raped people and tattooed their faces, destroyed nearly every rival, he seemed like such an unstoppable monster who was going to bring them all down. I couldn't see how they would stop him and felt for sure that if his defeat wasn't a season finale then he was going to be a multi-season villain for the rest of the show.

Him suddenly getting shanked to death in the holding cell came out of nowhere and left me completely speechless, it was amazing

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tomapot posted:

Wow, that is awesome and totally unexpected, albeit very much deserved. Maybe it'll actually get some Emmy love this time, although knowing the Emmys I certainly won't get my hopes up.

Pretty sad that it's up against shows like Lost and Battlestar Galactica that don't even deserve to stand in The Shield's shadow.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Competition posted:

Just finished 4 after a long hiatus from watching 123 over a short space, it didn't seem to live up. I'm pretty happy that people say that the last 3 are the best, should make it very enjoyable.

My favourite moment so far...

Season 2 (I think, if you haven't watched 3 then don't hover just in case)
The Mexican criminal genius they built up as being completely untouchable, who raped people and tattooed their faces, destroyed nearly every rival, he seemed like such an unstoppable monster who was going to bring them all down. I couldn't see how they would stop him and felt for sure that if his defeat wasn't a season finale then he was going to be a multi-season villain for the rest of the show.

Him suddenly getting shanked to death in the holding cell came out of nowhere and left me completely speechless, it was amazing

Season 6 feels really like a transitional season and never really gets going that much, but it serves as an amazing bridge between the brilliant seasons 5 and 7.
Still love season 4 though, never thought a show could ever make me take Anthony Anderson seriously as a criminal mastermind.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Macrame_God posted:

I've picked up this series and I'm going through Season One at the moment. I'm loving it. It's a pretty bold show. I was watching the "Cherrypoppers" episode the other night and I was pretty shocked with how far it went. I seriously had a "Am I really seeing this?" moment when Vic went undercover in the brothel. Also, his face at the end of that scene was the perfect murder-face. You could tell that he wanted to just strangle every motherfucker in that joint.

I believe that's actually how Chiklis felt and he was adamant that they'd never do a storyline like that again.

doctor thodt posted:

Wow, that is awesome and totally unexpected, albeit very much deserved. Maybe it'll actually get some Emmy love this time, although knowing the Emmys I certainly won't get my hopes up.

Pretty sad that it's up against shows like Lost and Battlestar Galactica that don't even deserve to stand in The Shield's shadow.

It's tough to care about the Emmys when they're such a transparent circlejerk for the big 4 and The Sopranos. They're just the same as every other big awards show. Throw the quality shows a bone once (Chiklis winning Best Actor. Once.) and then blow Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, and CSI every year.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

I just finished Season One and wow. I'm loving pumped for Season Two. Can't wait! I do have one question. I don't need any major spoilers, a simple "yes" or "no" will do, but I gotta know: Does that creepy Armenian guy who escaped midway through the season ever come back? I thought he was going to play an important role in the rest of season because of how much they were playing him up as a villain, but he never came back up again. I mean, they closed the case on the prostitute killer, so why not him?

A simple yes or no is fine. I just gotta know.

Fun trivia fact: This guy is one of the show's head writers and goes on to create Sons on Anarchy on FX

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

Fun trivia fact: This guy is one of the show's head writers and goes on to create Sons on Anarchy on FX

I knew the Sons creator came from The Shield but I had no idea that was him. That just makes the show even more awesome.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

DarkCrawler posted:

Season 2 ending is probably my favorite minus the finale.

The music, and Vic laughing with the money. I think if it has not klicked to you by then, that is the moment when you realize that this guy is not a good guy.

Wait, what about the part WHERE HE SHOOTS A COP IN THE FACE IN EPISODE ONE? :psyduck:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Wait, what about the part WHERE HE SHOOTS A COP IN THE FACE IN EPISODE ONE? :psyduck:

Small sample size.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
THIS loving SHOW

This thread popped up at the perfect time. About two weeks ago I decided to finally start watching the show. Having already seen The Wire, I was itching for another cop show that was close to the same level as The Wire, something that was above the standard CSI/NCIS/L&O fare I started adding the discs to my netflix queue, but the 2-3 day turnaround wasn't fast enough. So I started renting them from a local video store. I'm over half-way though season two and clipping along at about 4 eps/day. I jumped on that amazon deal, snagged all 7(Funnily enough, they had a great deal on The Wire last summer and that's what got me into the show).

I knew I was in for a treat when Mackey kills a fellow cop in the FIRST loving EPISODE. The scene where Bob goes and gets his coat before going with Dutch and it shows the amputated girl in the bathroom all chained up almost made me puke. Then when she's in their trunk at the police station, the tension was so high it was almost palpable. I haven't felt that since the first seasons of 24.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Captain Charisma posted:

Small sample size.

He also locks two criminals in a storage crate and tells them to sort it out. Only one comes out alive. It wasn't that far after that, either. Vic's a cold-hearted motherfucker

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Honestly the episode with the amputee girl was the one that made me feel the most wretched. What's funny is that S1 is IMO still very good, but they clearly overhauled the show a bit after it. There weren't really any more "criminals/crimes of the week" that were turned up to 11 because they were on cable after S1, it was basically the Strike Team jacking the Armenian money train, and the consequences of it.

It really is kind of a thing where S1 is really Season 0, because it seems like the entire show after that is centered around the money train theft.

Unspoilered tl;dr for metachronos: It only gets better from here. S1 is setting the table, and the rest of the show is blowing that table the gently caress up.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
people try to get me to watch 24 because of the suspense & I tell them, "I survived seven seasons of The Shield...blow it out your rear end!":colbert:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dead Snoopy posted:

people try to get me to watch 24 because of the suspense & I tell them, "I survived seven seasons of The Shield...blow it out your rear end!":colbert:

Well the thing is, the first season of 24 was fantastic. It was like an action movie every week and there really was nothing like it.

Then The Shield happened and it just seemed so...amateur in comparison.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I've watched all of 24, and the first four seasons of The Shield. 24 is miles ahead at the moment.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha...sure....

24 is one of the most intellectually bankrupt shows to ever exist. It may have lots of ~*~*cool and ridiculous action*~*~ but at least The Shield doesn't constantly pummel you in the face with its offensive stupidity.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Captain Charisma posted:

the Strike Team jacking the Armenian money train, and the consequences of it.

It really is kind of a thing where S1 is really Season 0, because it seems like the entire show after that is centered around the money train theft.

I think it's also interesting that the big storyline of seasons 5 (and I guess some of 6 and 7) is based on some quick, throw-a-way bust done in the middle of a previous episode.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TUS posted:

I think it's also interesting that the big storyline of seasons 5 (and I guess some of 6 and 7) is based on some quick, throw-a-way bust done in the middle of a previous episode.

If you're talking about Lem taking the heroin, I don't think that's an accurate description. That happens when the team is searching for Angie's body that Antwon buried with Shane and Army's bullets in her. A dealer tips Lem that the body is buried in a park near "the horses"; the team digs near a stable in that park but doesn't find it. Lem goes back asking for more precise directions and realizes the dealer meant it was near a carousel, not the stables. He takes the dealer's heroin stash as collateral to ensure his directions are accurate, and Emolia, the dealer's girlfriend, sees him. So it was all part of the main plot of Season 4.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I have to say that my favorite aspect of The Shield is when they introduce a new character who sees Vic as a cop who gets things done and might just ignore the small rules occasionally. Then, watching the slow realization of "Oh poo poo who am I supporting?" I think the series finale is the ultimate expression of this - you can literally watch the US Government going "What the gently caress have we done?"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Doakes posted:

I've watched all of 24, and the first four seasons of The Shield. 24 is miles ahead at the moment.

Elisha Cuthberts character is quite possibly the stupidest character ever put on tv. That alone makes 24 much much worse than The Shield.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Doakes posted:

Yeah dude I actually like 24, as far as that goes, but this is vigorously retarded.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

A Violence Gang posted:

If you're talking about Lem taking the heroin, I don't think that's an accurate description. That happens when the team is searching for Angie's body that Antwon buried with Shane and Army's bullets in her. A dealer tips Lem that the body is buried in a park near "the horses"; the team digs near a stable in that park but doesn't find it. Lem goes back asking for more precise directions and realizes the dealer meant it was near a carousel, not the stables. He takes the dealer's heroin stash as collateral to ensure his directions are accurate, and Emolia, the dealer's girlfriend, sees him. So it was all part of the main plot of Season 4.

Well you're right in that it wasn't as insignificant as I made it out to be... but with all the poo poo that had happened prior to that, you wouldn't have thought they'd spend an entire season's main story arc on a quick decision made by one of the main characters "side kicks".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TUS posted:

Well you're right in that it wasn't as insignificant as I made it out to be... but with all the poo poo that had happened prior to that, you wouldn't have thought they'd spend an entire season's main story arc on a quick decision made by one of the main characters "side kicks".

Oh yeah, when you saw it the first time you had no idea that was going to be the direct catalyst for everything that followed, unlike Terry, the money train robbery or Lem burning the cash. Goddamn this was such an awesome show.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I sometimes wonder whether Shawn Ryan & co. ever regretted having Mackey shoot Crowley at the end of the pilot. I understand that they had to really push the whole "bad cop" angle to get the show off the ground, but it was still so extreme, such an unabashedly evil act for a character who was later developed as more morally grey than draconian-good-or-bad. Imagine if the entire run of the series was exactly the same, but Vic shooting Terry in the pilot never happened. And then they just plopped it in a singular episode somewhere in the middle of season 4 or 5. Would we have swallowed it so easily then, with as much as we had been through with Vic and the Strike Team?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
From the interviews I've read, Ryan felt that kiling Terry was a blessing. The curse was that it became almost imposible to portray Vic as the bad guy no matter what happened as time went on. The tried everything they could but so many of the viewership refused to root against Vic.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

A Violence Gang posted:

Yeah dude I actually like 24, as far as that goes, but this is vigorously retarded.

I judge shows on how much I enjoy them, and The Shield so far has had a lot of boring parts.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

I sometimes wonder whether Shawn Ryan & co. ever regretted having Mackey shoot Crowley at the end of the pilot. I understand that they had to really push the whole "bad cop" angle to get the show off the ground, but it was still so extreme, such an unabashedly evil act for a character who was later developed as more morally grey than draconian-good-or-bad. Imagine if the entire run of the series was exactly the same, but Vic shooting Terry in the pilot never happened. And then they just plopped it in a singular episode somewhere in the middle of season 4 or 5. Would we have swallowed it so easily then, with as much as we had been through with Vic and the Strike Team?

I don't think it really clashed with Vic in the later seasons at all. Vic Mackey was always a man that was out for himself, and only himself. To him, Terry Crowley was a snitch and put his whole life in danger, so he had to go. It's no different than Hijacking a goddamn Armenian money train, cheating on his wife, or selling out and by proxy kill the only friend he had left to benefit himself.

Also they really didn't try hard enough to make Vic the most hateable piece of poo poo in the world. He did terrible things, but they put in scenes where we sympathized with him, and he said and did some really loving hilarious things.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

He was a rat. :colbert:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doakes posted:

I judge shows on how much I enjoy them, and The Shield so far has had a lot of boring parts.

I'd rather have a reasonably paced show like The Shield (although how anyone could call it boring is beyond me) than some nonsense that only sustains its breakneck speed time gimmick by having some of the stupidest, most ridiculous characters and stories in the history of television ( the secret bad guy in league with the terrorists is actually...THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES :hurr::twentyfour: )

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't think it really clashed with Vic in the later seasons at all. Vic Mackey was always a man that was out for himself, and only himself. To him, Terry Crowley was a snitch and put his whole life in danger, so he had to go. It's no different than Hijacking a goddamn Armenian money train, cheating on his wife, or selling out and by proxy kill the only friend he had left to benefit himself.

Also they really didn't try hard enough to make Vic the most hateable piece of poo poo in the world. He did terrible things, but they put in scenes where we sympathized with him, and he said and did some really loving hilarious things.

I don't want to start some boring and unanswerable argument about moral relativism or whatever, but I do think that shooting a "good person," let alone a cop in the face is by leaps and bounds the worst thing Vic ever did, up until the finale where he gave Ronnie up. And like you said, it was impossible for some of us to hate Vic later on because of how sympathetic a character he turned out to be. We witnessed, we felt such an undeniably human side of him - that's why I think Vic Mackey is one of the best characters I've ever seen on tv. Even though we may not have agreed with him, he was portrayed in such a way that we understood his internal logic for doing so many of the things he did. Sometimes we even rooted for him. If after 4 or 5 seasons of the show he shot a basically good cop in the face out of nowhere, I think more of us would have rejected it.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 8, 2009

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Doakes posted:

Eh? You're entitled to your opinion of course, but which parts did you find boring exactly? I personally find The Shield an order of magnitude more exciting and intense than 24. 24's early seasons, despite being the best, have plenty of boring soap moments, and even though it's pretty much non stop action now, we've seen everything it has to offer several times over.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
From the season 1 finale:

Vic: I want a shot at the son of a bitch who did this.
Aceveda: Get in line.
Vic: Line starts here.

:hellyeah:

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me why at the end of season 1 Gilroy doesn't roll on Vic after Gilroy gets arrested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Did Gilroy actually know for sure that Vic killed terry?

• Locked thread