Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

thepokey posted:

Hell I'm just playing Xcom for the first time and as soon as they referred to the team as the "Strike Team", I immediately quit the mission and went about renaming all the soldiers after Shield characters. Julian was the only one to die in the first mission.

Should have named him Terry instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Ratatozsk posted:

Should have named him Terry instead.

You can't shoot your own squad. Well, actually I guess Vic could have hit him with a rocket...

drat, I can have Shane throw a grenade at Lem!

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Well yeah. But you're clearly meant to see him as the hero none the less. They don't really start turning different gears on him until the end of the 2nd season.

I think that this is interesting because as a nonwhite I hated Vic and saw him as a major piece of poo poo throughout the entire show. Aceveda and, Julian, and Wymms are the only people I cheered for consistently throughout even with Aceveda being shady.

e: the Refried Beans comment from Tig about those two ladies who burned to death in the SoA gun warehouse fire ep.1 and no one reacting to it like it was out of place got me finished on SoA immediately.

These shows are loving nightmares in many ways, I actually think Sutter being big in the writing process of both is a part of that. The Shield is a little more human and varied so I think its better.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 23, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mexcillent posted:

I think that this is interesting because as a nonwhite I hated Vic and saw him as a major piece of poo poo throughout the entire show. Aceveda and, Julian, and Wymms are the only people I cheered for consistently throughout even with Aceveda being shady.

e: the Refried Beans comment from Tig about those two ladies who burned to death in the SoA gun warehouse fire ep.1 and no one reacting to it like it was out of place got me finished on SoA immediately.

These shows are loving nightmares in many ways, I actually think Sutter being big in the writing process of both is a part of that. The Shield is a little more human and varied so I think its better.

The Shield is better because it was Shawn Ryan's baby, and there were times when he said "No, Sutter, that is not going to be in the story."

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just starting season 4 and just had Glenn Close talk at the community meeting and sandbags her. Goddamn I hope he gets taken down several levels

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kloaked00 posted:

Just starting season 4 and just had Glenn Close talk at the community meeting and sandbags her. Goddamn I hope he gets taken down several levels

Soon you will be calling him daddy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Kloaked00 posted:

Nobody makes it out of this series unsullied. Except maybe Terry, or the Handsome Marshall.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kloaked00 posted:

Season 4-7Except for internal psychological damage Aceveda manages to be the one who objectively 'wins' and walks away unscathed. If you love hating him it's all good news from here on out.Just got to the end of season four in my third rewatch. This time I'm watching all of the deleted scenes and extras. I think it's probably impossible (for air heads like me) to pay enough close attention to everything that happens to actually digest/comprehend the show in one run through. Especially so if you have them on demand (DVD) etc and keep going 'just one more episode'. Most of my 'first impression issues' with the story and characters turn out to be dealt with, you just had to make all the right connections and comprehend all the nuances of all the dialogue at the time. I'm not nearly as put off by Corrine this time through. Perhaps the biggest issue with her is that when ever a cop goes to Mission Cross she's both on duty and the person they liaise with.

I also think the people complaining about Julian's plot arc quietening down are not making a fair assessment. Still these are all minor issues and I think I'll be on rewatch six before I finally decide I need another show.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Breezing through here not reading any spoilers. Just caught the end of Season 3 Ep 11.

WHAT THE gently caress DUTCH. THAT CAT DUTCH. I THOUGHT YOU WERE ONE OF THE GOOD ONES DUTCH. GOD loving DAMMIT YOU IDIOT poo poo DUTCH gently caress YOU.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
:allears:

I love how that's everyone's universal reaction to this. I've introduced the series with two different people and got texts exactly like that once they reached that point lol

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

"That cat still keeping you up at night?"

"Nope."

:stare:

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Lugaloco posted:

"That cat still keeping you up at night?"

"Nope."

:stare:

Dutch is a pretty good example of a heroic psychopath in my opinion.

A lot of shows try to have their cake and eat it too, having the whole 'staring too long into the abyss' bullshit and how 'He's just like the killers he hunts, and it makes him dark and troubled' but really he's an attractive white man with a wife, 2.5 kids, who goes to church on Sundays and helps old ladies with their grocery bags.

The Shield is like gently caress that, this guy is a psychopath with no social skills and a morbid curiosity about the world. And he's still one of the best (if not THE best) detective in the Barn. See, not every TV detective has to be the same :V

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"And he's huuuuunnngry liiiiiiiike the woooooooollf!"

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Twee as gently caress posted:

:allears:

I love how that's everyone's universal reaction to this. I've introduced the series with two different people and got texts exactly like that once they reached that point lol

I think that was my reaction too. I love hearing people's reactions to that scene, it will never get old. Out of all of the disturbing things that happened in this show, that scene took the cake in my opinion.

edit:

Exploder posted:

What. The. gently caress. S3E11: What the hell was up with Dutch strangling that stray cat at the end of the episode? Now, I know he has shown a propensity to want to truly understand and get in the head of his suspects, and sometimes he takes it a little too far. That was way too far. To this point, they have painted Dutch as a bit odd and awkward, but not sociopathic. Maybe I am asking this too early, but that really threw me for a loop. Especially because Dutch, up until this point, has been one of my favorites.

Sure enough, that was my reaction.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
That's so strange. Am I a crazy person? Because that scene didn't do much for me. I knew exactly what he was doing, and why.

The Dutch scene that really hits me is the one at the end of episode 7, when he busts the serial killer, but the serial killer also targets Dutch and his insecurities, and hits them so bad that he bawls in his car in the parking lot. That was far more impacting to me.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

escape artist posted:

That's so strange. Am I a crazy person? Because that scene didn't do much for me. I knew exactly what he was doing, and why.

The Dutch scene that really hits me is the one at the end of episode 7, when he busts the serial killer, but the serial killer also targets Dutch and his insecurities, and hits them so bad that he bawls in his car in the parking lot. That was far more impacting to me.

For me, it's just the fact that it's a goddamn kitty cat that truly disturbed me. We did learn a lot about Dutch from his discourse with the serial killer, and I agree that it was very impactful, but the fact that he actually put those ideas into action and took it out on an innocent animal is what gets me.

And I would like to amend my remarks. Cherrypoppers was, without a doubt, the most disturbing episode of the series. I think I temporarily repressed my memory of watching that episode, and it all just came back.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Exploder posted:

For me, it's just the fact that it's a goddamn kitty cat that truly disturbed me. We did learn a lot about Dutch from his discourse with the serial killer, and I agree that it was very impactful, but the fact that he actually put those ideas into action and took it out on an innocent animal is what gets me.

And I would like to amend my remarks. Cherrypoppers was, without a doubt, the most disturbing episode of the series. I think I temporarily repressed my memory of watching that episode, and it all just came back.

I've successfully repressed all of that episode except for the shocked stare on Chiklis' face during one scene.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The most :stare: face ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The point of the scene where Dutch strangles a cat isn't about him being a sociopath(he's very clearly not), its showing how desperate he's gotten to understand some of the hosed up people he's encountered since entering The Barn. Dutch comes into the job with a certain arrogance; In his mind he's smarter than pretty much every other LEO he's ever dealt with, and you get the feeling that he resents other guys succeeding more based on raw strength and charisma.

So the cat is him hitting a wall for the first time ever in the area that he considered his specialty. He's always been able to understand criminals and use his brain to catch them, but the stuff he's seen in the years leading up to the cat has really shaken the core beliefs he had about himself. Strangling the cat is a final, last ditch attempt to get that back, but it doesn't work because nothing happens. He strangles the cat and then gets over it and moves on with his life, he has no epiphany like he was hoping.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 31, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Basebf555 posted:

The point of the scene where Dutch strangles a cat isn't about him being a sociopath(he's very clearly not), its showing how desperate he's gotten to understand some of the hosed up people he's encountered since entering The Barn. Dutch comes into the job with a certain arrogance; In his mind he's smarter than pretty much every other LEO he's ever dealt with, and you get the feeling that he resents other guys succeeding more based on raw strength and charisma.

So the cat is him hitting a wall for the first time ever in the area that he considered his specialty. He's always been able to understand criminals and use his brain to catch them, but the stuff he's seen in the years leading up to the cat has really shaken the core beliefs he had about himself. Strangling the cat is a final, last ditch attempt to get that back, but it doesn't work because nothing happens. He strangles the cat and then gets over it and moves on with his life, he has no epiphany like he was hoping.

Bingo! That's why the scene doesn't bother me. It's logical and in character.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

escape artist posted:

Bingo! That's why the scene doesn't bother me. It's logical and in character.

My thoughts exactly. Dutch isn't a psycho, he just lives for his job in every possible way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My thoughts exactly. Dutch isn't a psycho, he just lives for his job in every possible way.

It also shows that there is a point where he will not go to. That he can get in their heads, but never actually go further than that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You guys know about what Kurt Sutter wanted to do with his storyline, right? Thankfully Shawn Ryan said a hearty "gently caress that!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

You guys know about what Kurt Sutter wanted to do with his storyline, right? Thankfully Shawn Ryan said a hearty "gently caress that!"

One of the following? A) Rape B) Murder C) Musical montage sung by his wife D) Make a morally decent character a serial killer since it would be edgy E) Something to do with feet.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
That idea is terrible, but I disagree with yall about him not being a psycho. He's not a cartoon psycho, but he fits the symptoms to me. The big difference about Dutch is that his outlet is detective-ing. You can just see it in the way his eyes light up whenever a serial killer comes up. He loves that poo poo. But he has the logical knowledge that serial killing and poo poo is wrong, so while he is psychopathic he's a good guy and moral out of sense and logic rather than instinct, if that makes any sense.

I mean psychopath doesn't mean serial killer, psychopaths are CEO's, postmen and pretty much every other job under the sun the same as everyone else. Dutch isn't Hannibal but he isn't exactly normal either.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PootieTang posted:

That idea is terrible, but I disagree with yall about him not being a psycho. He's not a cartoon psycho, but he fits the symptoms to me. The big difference about Dutch is that his outlet is detective-ing. You can just see it in the way his eyes light up whenever a serial killer comes up. He loves that poo poo. But he has the logical knowledge that serial killing and poo poo is wrong, so while he is psychopathic he's a good guy and moral out of sense and logic rather than instinct, if that makes any sense.

I mean psychopath doesn't mean serial killer, psychopaths are CEO's, postmen and pretty much every other job under the sun the same as everyone else. Dutch isn't Hannibal but he isn't exactly normal either.

So closer to Will Graham than Hannibal?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Psychopath discussion? Paging the Ikea monkey from Dexter Season 8.

bobkatt013 posted:

One of the following? A) Rape B) Murder C) Musical montage sung by his wife D) Make a morally decent character a serial killer since it would be edgy E) Something to do with feet.

D. D for Dutch.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

escape artist posted:

Weren't they going to find bodies under his house or something like that? Not sure why I'm spoiling something that didn't happen, but just in case!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Psychopath discussion? Paging the Ikea monkey from Dexter Season 8.

Not the rape monkey?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

thepokey posted:

Weren't they going to find bodies under his house or something like that? Not sure why I'm spoiling something that didn't happen, but just in case!

Yeah the way things developed him in the last season seemed like they were flirting with going in that sort of direction. It would have been horrendous.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Capntastic posted:

Yeah the way things developed him in the last season seemed like they were flirting with going in that sort of direction. It would have been horrendous.

I knew it was Beaver since he loves to kill.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Early S4 talk: Man Aceveda, you're a real messed up guy now huh? :smith:

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

So closer to Will Graham than Hannibal?

Yeah but Will Graham again is one of those TV psycho's were everything's super-romanticized.

Though Will Graham is probably how Dutch see's himself, everyone else sees the goon that he is :v

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
To continue with the Will Graham analogy, yea I think that's kind of a romanticized version of Dutch, and probably the kind of person Dutch thinks he is. Strangling the cat is something he thinks a guy like that would do, and if Graham did it he actually would have had some kind of epiphany that would lead him right to the door of the killer. For Dutch nothing happens except he (maybe)feels bad about it for a few days.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just finished Season 5

gently caress

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Kloaked00 posted:

Just finished Season 5

gently caress

There's a 12 minute segment that occurs between seasons 5 and 6. It was initially released as an online promo and may possibly have made it to the season 6 DVDs. If you can't find a higher res version, you can watch it here. It's by the official writing staff, and while not necessary for the series, it's well done and worth watching.

For what it's worth, things just keep accelerating through the series finale. Enjoy the ride.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I can confirm it was on the season 6 dvd.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Just got done with season 7.

It's been hell of a ride. Can someone please tell me that Ronnie might have gotten off. I don't care how unfeasible it is, I just need to know in my mind that there's a possibility Ronnie didn't go to prison and get abruptly murdered by Antwon's thugs. I don't think I can handle that much :smith: from one episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

It's been hell of a ride. Can someone please tell me that Ronnie might have gotten off. I don't care how unfeasible it is, I just need to know in my mind that there's a possibility Ronnie didn't go to prison and get abruptly murdered by Antwon's thugs. I don't think I can handle that much :smith: from one episode.

Sorry he is going to jail. He will be made an example of. He will be calling Antwon daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Tea Bone posted:

Shawn Ryan said he envisioned Ronnie with his head shaved and working out a lot in prison, maybe associating with an aryan race group to stay alive

• Locked thread