Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Athanatos posted:

Shawn Ryan said he envisioned Ronnie with his head shaved and working out a lot in prison, maybe associating with an aryan race group to stay alive

Ugh. Abandon all hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
Ronnie did some awful things.

He may not have been AS dirty as Vic and Shane, but let's not kid ourselves and call him innocent.

In fact I really like that ending for him, because it saves me having to make the 'Ronnie was only FOLLOWING ORDERS' comparison.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Until I get solid evidence otherwise I'm choosing to believe that everything after the season two finale was a dream :colbert:. After robbing the money train, the team decided to go on the straight and narrow. Vic and Corrine only suffer a brief separation, Shane meets Mara and they live happily ever after, Lem never gets blown up and Ronnie... is also there. All the team remain friends and enjoy their millions. Claudette isn't dying and Dutch never kills that cat. Had the epilogue gone on a little longer, it would have ended up with Vic bolt upright in bed sweating with Corrine asking him what's wrong and he explains he had a bad dream.

Serious question, In season 7, there was that story arc with Vic and Danny, over Vic giving up rights to Lee. Claudette tells Danny to take as much time as she needed to sort things out, then Danny goes home and packs although she's preparing to run. We don't see anything of Danny then until Dutch suggests Claudette brings her back to help with catching Shane. What happened there? It feels although I've missed something.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I remember when the show was running everyone thought Ronnie was going to be who got away. That he was some badass Keyser Soze type who was really running the show. Well it turns out he was the biggest sucker in the entire series.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea its funny he always seemed like the odd one out or after thought. I figured he was the casting director's cousin or something the first few seasons.

"Ol Ronnie will stay and do it"

Also can someone answer this I seriously dont get it

quote:

Regarding Danny I either missed or just don't remember what happened with Lee or why she all of a sudden got so hostile with Vic. Did Cassidy's speech rile her up that much?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's pretty much exactly how Ronnie came to be. Still somehow I'm also in the Roonie camp - he always did what had to be done and wasn't completely nuts like Shane or Vic. Plus, that loving beard.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I thought they were teasing him becoming the new leader towards the end with Vic and Shane doing their thing

Also, besides being a beautiful man what exactly was the point of Hyatt

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

the_american_dream posted:

I thought they were teasing him becoming the new leader towards the end with Vic and Shane doing their thing

Shane is a shithead.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
Everyone except Dutch and Claudette are shitheads.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Hey man, Billings was ok.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Error 404 posted:

Hey man, Billings was ok.

Billings framed a dude just try and impress his (ex?) wife. Also he was a lousy detective. That makes him a poo poo-head.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Yea its funny he always seemed like the odd one out or after thought. I figured he was the casting director's cousin or something the first few seasons.

Hah, actually thats pretty close. When they were making the pilot Shawn Ryan thought 3 guys + Terry made the strike team seem too small so he called in a favor from his friend Snell to play a 4th guy Ronnie who is just sort of there.

Its why he didn't get much characterization early on, and they only started getting this great material in the latter seasons after realizing what he could do.

In short, Hiatt was there to emphasize how toxic (and also manipulative) Vic really is.... its how this team didnt really start out as these bad apples so we bring this experienced, confident, clean guy and by the end hes been tainted and even acting against his self interest due to Mackeys mindgames. Unlike Vics other antagonists in the series who are directly antagonists on either side of the law out to get him, Vic comes at Hyatt from the perspective of a friend and we see how Vic as a friend can be just like having an enemy, something we get in that final season. His role is the summation of two quotes in the finale, Shane's "we made each other worse... wish I had never met Vic" and Ronnie's "you betrayed me? you were my FRIEND!"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just finished my Season Six third run through and It's so great how Vic is way more dangerous than the guy (Pezuela) who is running the Mexican cartel's operation in LA. Claudette's face when she tells Vic he has thirty more days is just great. And a special call out to Mara. She is a poisoned chalice that just keeps spilling. Only downside is season six not really having a conclusion/climax. Must have really sucked having to wait for the next broadcasts once season five kick off. Also (Pet Peeve), Julien has plenty of story and focus in every season. I guess he isn't a B plot line at as many points as earlier but he gets a lot of screen time.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Hah, actually thats pretty close. When they were making the pilot Shawn Ryan thought 3 guys + Terry made the strike team seem too small so he called in a favor from his friend Snell to play a 4th guy Ronnie who is just sort of there.

Its why he didn't get much characterization early on, and they only started getting this great material in the latter seasons after realizing what he could do.

I'm re-watching the first season right now, and I was surprised to see that Ronnie actually had a few good lines, because I don't think I even noticed him in the first season when I first watched the show. Notably, his "pick-up lines" on the stripper when he, Shane, and Lem were doing the strip club robberies sting, and the back-and-forth between those three guys was great. "I was just laying the groundwork." :smuggo:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Finished with the second-to-last episode. Jesus :stare:

I mean......JESUS

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Kloaked00 posted:

Finished with the second-to-last episode. Jesus :stare:

I mean......JESUS

Heh. Words can't express how great that episode was. Everything that happened during the entire series culminates into that one episode, in that one scene, in that one room. It's incredible.

"You're fired you sanctimonious son of a bitch!"

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Wow. What a crushingly depressing ending

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Kloaked00 posted:

I did a binge rewatch last year, it took me a while to shake it off.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Exploder posted:

Heh. Words can't express how great that episode was. Everything that happened during the entire series culminates into that one episode, in that one scene, in that one room. It's incredible.

"You're fired you sanctimonious son of a bitch!"

That line is one of my favorite lines in the series, mostly because of the way she says it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ya herd.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Kloaked00 posted:

Trivia from the final episode to perhaps add a tiny, tiny silver lining: the lawyer who leaves her number for Dutch is Jay Karnes' IRL wife, adding likelihood to the idea that a single happy thing resulted from the episode.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well, someone took the series finale too seriously.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2633575/The-Shield-star-Michael-Jace-detained-police-connection-shooting-death-wife.html

Malifaux
May 9, 2014
I loved The Shield and I was glad to see some of that rough chaotic side of society went across when the writers did SoA I wasn't really happy that the team had to split up like they did but that wouldn't have made the show it is now.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Holy poo poo, Julien. What did you do?! :ohdear:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Jesus Christ.

quote:

3:51 AM PT -- Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Jace's 2 kids witnessed him allegedly shooting and killing their mom. The kids -- both under 10 -- were extremely upset and taken to the police station. We're told cops are angry it took Children's Services 4 hours to get to the station and take the kids to the home of a family member where they could be comforted.

Jace is being booked for murder.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
edit: way late

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Those poor kids. :(

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
drat, that's actually a realistic way that his character arc could have gone in 1-2 more seasons and makes the whole thing super creepy.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Accidentally shot his wife 7 times.
Michael Jace is going to 'Antwon Mitchell-ville'

http://youtu.be/0qjZ44g8Nvg

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

BrandonGK posted:

Those poor kids. :(

drat, what the hell.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

androo posted:

drat, that's actually a realistic way that his character arc could have gone in 1-2 more seasons and makes the whole thing super creepy.

Spooky but yea that would made sense. Rather it had been there than real life :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder what he'd been doing since the show finished. I can't imagine he can live on his Shield earnings for all that long, and I haven't seen him in anything else. Maybe he's been slowly losing it.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

One time doin' time for a long, long time...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! That's a rather incomplete family meeting though tbh.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder what he'd been doing since the show finished. I can't imagine he can live on his Shield earnings for all that long, and I haven't seen him in anything else. Maybe he's been slowly losing it.

He's worked regularly since The Shield, definitely enough to support a family of 4 considering he gets residuals from DVD sales/syndication. Some article somewhere mentioned how neighbors heard them fighting over money, so maybe things were getting worse.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
gently caress everything, even the actors can't get happy endings.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

He's worked regularly since The Shield, definitely enough to support a family of 4 considering he gets residuals from DVD sales/syndication. Some article somewhere mentioned how neighbors heard them fighting over money, so maybe things were getting worse.

I don't live in the US, yet alone LA, but Hyde Park looks like a pretty ghetto neighbourhood. It doesn't exactly seem like he has been living the high life.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Don't you mean living the good life?

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

pentyne posted:

according to
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-actor-michael-jace-had-financial-problems-before-wifes-slaying-20140520-story.html

He declared bankruptcy in 2011 and has had quite a lot of debt, some of which he stopped paying off earlier this year. Pretty messed up his two kids were at home at the time he shot his wife.

Royalties from TV show vary wildly, in Jace's 2011 bankruptcy filings he listed his annual income as $80k from Shield residuals, which probably have dropped since then. Other actors in shows such as CSI (minor roles to be fair) have tweeted monthly residual checks that are in pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malifaux
May 9, 2014

tomapot posted:

drat, what the hell.

This alright....

• Locked thread