Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

metachronos posted:

I'm not quite sure what I expected Shawn Ryan to look like, but it wasn't anything like that.

You should check out the last disk of Season 1; they have a humorous side-by-side of Ryan and Chiklis dressed the same with a "teaser" of Season 2.

Anyhoo, I'm working my way through Season 7, and I just don't understand why I don't see more of this scene from S1, E10:

Shane and Lem are arguing over who's guilty of the stripper muggings; Lem points to Tulips; Shane (who was banging Tulips) points to Tulips' boyfriend. LOOK AT THE HALOS!!! Hey, I think it's cool, planned or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

As episodic as Season 1 is, the good makes up for the bad. Dragon Chasers and Cupid and Psycho are incredible, and the pilot and final two episodes are essential for the series as a whole.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Nosaj posted:

Just finished season 4, now i gotta go buy 5-6-7 drat it better start saving my pennies.

6 and 7 are still available on Netflix Watch Instantly.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

KilGrey posted:

The one I really want to see is the one scene...I don't even want to say it in spoilers, the heart rending scene that really changes things and poo poo starts to fall apart.

You mean the end of the pilot episode? :v:

For all the dirt he got mixed up in, (spoiler regards Vic's actions through Season 6) the body count directly attributable to Vic is remarkably small. If memory serves, his finger was only on the trigger for Terry, Margos, and Guardo. Of course, if you want to go with responsibility, the list is significantly longer.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I had never seen Michael Chiklis in anything before The Shield, and now I'm watching my very first episode of The Commish. Each time he gets "angry", my brain keeps expecting to see him put somebody through a window.

A bit off-topic, but would anyone be interested in a fresh watch-through of the series? I've been thinking about doing one for awhile-one or two episodes a week with a brief writeup and discussion of each-but these things are always better with company along for the ride.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Dutch also wins because he had the chance to form participate in two of the greatest detective duos of all time.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

rejutka posted:

Personally, I thought it was a masterstroke by Ryan. Not often a show starts with big giant balls like that.

Edit: Plus, y'know, the sheer "HOLY gently caress THE COMMISH JUST SHOT KELLERMAN IN THE FACE!"

I think on one of the commentaries, Ryan described it as "his revenge for Hill Street Blues" or something to that effect. In the HSB pilot, two cops were gunned down and left for dead, but recovered a few episodes later and went back to their beat.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Best moments from The Shield?

Mackey chasing a guy who hops a wooden fence. Mackey just plows right through the fence like a bull and creams the fucker.

After finishing the series, I thought an apt measure of the escalation of the show over the years could be found between that particular scene in Season 1, and another one from Season 7. Not mirror images or anything, but similar enough, showing the more drastic the measures needed the deeper the poo poo they found themselves in.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

electricsugar posted:

Based mainly on the recommendation from this thread I started sinking my teeth into season 1.

I'm 5 episodes on. Its pretty good so far but...I'm not impressed yet. Does the show start to pick up soon?

It picks up as it goes on. Things become a bit less episodic once you hit Season 2, and it just gets better and better from then on in.

For all the flak it gets, Season 1 has some gems. Dragonchasers is just goddamn awesome, and Cupid and Psycho is fun, albeit a tad hokey.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think one of my favourite moments is when Dutch finally cracks his real first case there, and everyone applauds.

Then he goes in the bathroom and cries. :smith:

Oh well, the first part was good.

That's Dragonchasers. There's also some developments with Connie's story in there (as hinted by the episode name.)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The Valuum posted:

I'm curious though, is the general consensus about Vic good or bad? I mean by just watching his actions he might seem bad (and I heard he gets worse throughout the seasons) but right now I see him as a guy with good intentions that makes mistakes in a job that presents a lot of opportunities for mistakes.

Your opinion will probably change season to season and even sometimes episode to episode, but there's no taking back the events of the pilot.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

he's prominent but not overwhelming. He forewarns Vic of the shifting political waters of police politics and breaks ties with Vic but eventually comes into play again in the final episodes of the season.

He's nowhere near Kavannaugh or Rawling so far as screen time goes, but he was a recurring character in 4 or 5 episodes.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

He ranks slightly above Smitty

I'd say he's more along the lines of Connie, though I liked how they kept bringing Smitty back.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Yeet posted:

God I love this show. I'm on season 6 after...a week :(. I think I even like it better than The Wire. And the theme song is the greatest theme song ever. And for some reason I really like Ronnie.

You really like Ronnie because you are human. If he doesn't grow on you through the series, something inside you is broken.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I agree, but it does have one up on the pilot by not having any Kid Rock music.

When the writers of the Shield do a musical montage well, they knock it out of the park (see Cupid and Psycho or Dominoes Falling). Then, there are those other ones.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I imagine they wouldn't be too keen on some of Shane later extra-marital shenanigans.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

WanderingKid posted:

They aren't comparable. They feature cops and criminals and thats about it for similarities really.

Plus Clark Johnson!

I think you've broken it down pretty well. The characterizations in The Wire are really about the actors in their roles in life whether that was working the streets/docks, running for office, following the paper trail, etc. The Shield had much more to do with interpersonal relationships. Sure, Aceveda had to work the system as he climbed politically and McNulty's relationships with his ex and Beadie tied into the rest of his life, but those were kind of stand-outs in the individual series.

To compare, take out the brass from The Wire (or the schools, or whatever structure the season is focusing on) and the series is gutted. Take out Vic's family and Claudette and The Shield is little more than Aceveda yelling at Mackey for his loose-gun shennanigans. Relating to this, The Shield is ultimately the story of Vic Mackey, while The Wire is the story of Baltimore.

Dead Snoopy posted:

When comparing The Shield to The Wire, try to think in terms of Scarface to The Godfather.

Well put.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

keyframe posted:

Season 2 is blowing my mind away.

I am up to the part where connie's face gets burned when vic brings the domestic abuse chick to his place

I can't wait to see whats going to happen at the end of this season.

Heh, I think you mean the part where Ronnie's face gets burned while Vic's have him watch Connie.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

IRQ posted:

Just wondering, how does this show end? IE like with a whimper or with a bang?

I'm still in season 5, I'm just wondering.

It goes out with a KABOOM. It's seriously at the top of best series finales ever. There's no Sopranos debate about whether it was great or not, no BSG WTF moment, no Lost out of left-field weirdness, and it's more than just a closing montage (great as it might be) like SFU or The Wire. The writers knew well in advance how they were going to end things and how much time they had to do so, and it shows.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

All this alignment talk always brings me back to this shot:

It's almost hard to believe this is from Season 1, the way that things turn out. LOOK AT THOSE loving HALOS!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, you should go back and watch him in The Commish, having only been familiar with him in that, it was a total mindfuck to see him in The Shield.

What was even more bizarre was catching an episode of Seinfeld where Chiklis had a guest spot. He and Seinfeld were in an argument about car rides or airports or something in Jerry's apartment, and I kept expecting Jerry to end up being dangled out the window by his ankles screaming for mercy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Just got back season 1 after a long-term loan to a friend. There are some pretty rough spots I glossed over in my memory. Aceveda's warrant sweeps day where the lobby is swamped with perps turning themselves in after just a call from Vic? The old cop at registration who retires even after Aceveda assures him that he's the chief's MVP (Most Valuable Police-officer)? Ugh.

On the other hand, there's some seriously funny stuff too.

"We're all gonna crash and burn because of you. I mean, Christ dude, Amy's not even that hot!"

Regarding the contents of Margos' apartment:

"3 cans of herring, 6 cases of microwave popcorn...no microwave!"

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Vic: questions the leader of one gang suspected of instigating a war with another gang, learns he was busy watching his sick baby and almost connects with him on a personal level

Shane: gets pissed off at gang leader's friend, shouts racial epithets, kicks him in the balls, pisses on him in the middle of a well populated street

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I know that the writers were constantly developing the story as things progressed, and while they may have had some vague ideas of what was coming up, they weren't looking 1 or 2 (or 5) whole seasons into the future. Still, the early seasons have some pretty poignant moments that only show up on a re-watch.

Season 2: Partners
"Shane, when we retire, we're gonna play golf together every day."

"I've never played golf before."

"I'll teach you."

"I'd really like that."

:cry:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

CeeJee posted:

Season 6 seemed weird like both 5 and 7 were shortened by 3 episodes to create this season which just hangs between the two. Having Kavanagh appear for just two episodes and Diro for the last few ones and not coming back in 7 felt off in a show that takes such care to let things in the past affect the present.

I believe that Seasons 5 and 6 were initially planned to be a single season but for various scheduling reasons and other stuff the writers split it into two slightly shorter seasons.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The finale of the pilot is a bit of a stand-out for music. I love the Shield's occasional montages, but that one was a bit much to take. Wait for the season 1 finale or Cupid and Psycho to get a better feel for them.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Hitting Season 5 of a watch-through. Some people are great on commentary tracks. They've got interesting things to say and open your eyes about the creative process and the work the goes into bringing an idea from an initial half sentence to an entire episode. Shawn Ryan is one of these people. Michael Chiklis, however is not. While he has his moments, his tracks usually just end up being how great everyone involved with the Shield was. While this was probably true, it makes for a boring 40-odd minutes of audio.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Goddamn Family Meeting :smith:

I need something to pick me up now.

That works pretty well.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Reo posted:

Woop woop. 5-0s comin. Posting as someone who just marathoned through the first three seasons for the first time I can say this show has done poo poo NO OTHER SHOW has touched. I've had at least 3 :tviv: moments already.

The one that got me hardest for some reason was Dutch killing the cat. As soon as the meowing started I knew where it was going but I kept thinking he'd back down. There really isn't too much separating him from the guys he brings down, is there?

I've been trying hard to avoid spoilers and I don't think I remember any that I've heard over the years. I knew about Aceveda getting sexually assaulted due to an unfortunate google result but everything else has been a surprise and I'm glad. I'm probably going to check out of the thread until I'm done watching, but I just wanted to say that drat, this show has some real shockers.

There are two scenes in the seasons ahead of you which will spoil the gently caress out of the series if they aren't surprises when they hit you, so it's a wise choice you're making. Do whatever you can to avoid them. Aceveda's moment isn't even a blip on the radar compared to these.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ben is not cool posted:

Season 6 is really just the set up for 7. I think they were originally just supposed to be one season (or was it 5 & 6?), which is why it feels a little anticlimactic.

It was 5 and 6, hence Kavanaugh's brief bit at the start of 6 and the slightly shorter run of each one.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

DS at Night posted:

I tried reading this thread earlier and accidentally spoilered myself on a few major plot points because I'm a dumbass, but even after that I was completely blindsided by what actually happened. That's some good story telling.

I'm hard pressed to think of any show that could be spoiled on the level that the Shield could be. Heck, even just after the pilot someone could give you two sentences and spoil the finale and THE BIG TWIST, and you'd have at least some idea of what they were talking about. To top that off, no matter how much sense they make in the context of the story, just about everybody is blind-sided by them when they happen. Compare this to Lost. If somebody tried to explain the finale right after the pilot, it'd take a couple of minutes to lay the groundwork for anything to make any sense. And anyone who didn't at least guess that (Lost finale spoiler) Jack would be the chosen one just isn't paying attention.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This has been posted a bunch of times before, but goddammit if this isn't the best Shield-related video ever loving made.

Don't watch if you haven't finished the show. poo poo, don't watch if you haven't finished Season 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJgJWbvkxjo

If indeed it has been posted before, I've missed it each time. Thanks for bringing it back - well worth the watch.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Yep, and that's the first introduction of Scooby. Don't recall if Carl is in the scene or not, but it just dawned on me that's probably why Scooby got the nickname "Scooby" :aaaaa:

Yeah, it was only on my 3rd or 4th time through the series that I realized this.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

LifelongFan posted:

Just started season 1, I'm 3 episodes in. The pilot was pretty good, though weirdly it seemed kind of early-2000s dated with the shakycam and Kid Rock soundtrack. I must be getting old, reminded me of high school.

The first season and the pilot in particular had a few hiccups before things settled down. Bawittabaw was definitely one of those. On the whole though the writers did a pretty good job with their use of music. Hopefully you'll agree after episode 8.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

They were dove tattoos! The little girl dropped her butterfly hair clip in the interrogation room which was how Armadillo knew she was snitching on him. :eng101:

True. I'm glad that somebody pre-emptively reconfirmed my thoughts.

New quiz topic: funniest moments of the Shield

First offering-"Dude, she's not even that hot!"

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

C'mon Roy, that dog had a piece and he was gonna use it!

:smith: Scoobie got his name in this scene

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

He did kill a couple of people in the first three seasons.

I've heard this discussed in a couple of places, and I'm a bit curious to work through it again.

People directly killed by Vic Mackey:
Terry Crowley
Margos Dezerian
Guardo
...?

The list of people whose death he's indirectly responsible for is certainly much longer, but even with a few additions that I may have forgotten, I'm always a bit surprised by how short Vic's direct list is.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Conquistador posted:

Aceveda just makes me want to punch his stupid rear end in the face like 4 times an episode. Pretty amazing acting and writing.

Touche:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

There's really no competition here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1T8pCKON3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

We need more 1st timers in this thread. Yeah, it's fun to watch folks traverse the Wire for the first time, but this show has so many more MOMENTS like that for us to relive vicariously.

• Locked thread