Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Neither CVS nor SVN required a server in the sense that there had to be a daemon listening on a port somewhere -- CVS could directly operate on a shared directory, and SVN had multiple backends including file://, [url]http://[/url] and svn+ssh://.

But they did require a "server" in the sense that there was a centralized repository somewhere that did the revision control and you use a client to checkout a fragment of that to do work and all your interactions were relative to that server.

Contrast that with a DVCS like git, where your local copy of the repository is a complete history of the project (ignoring things like shallow clones and git-lfs), and all your interactions are relative to your local clone. And then on top of that your local clone might have relationships to other repositories and you can use your repository to modify those other repositories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I was able to get Eclipse and GIT talking again, and backed out the merge. I then did the rebase I should have done in the first place. Everything is looking good, other than one jsp file that lost some changes, but it looks like I should be able to redo changes easily. Thanks everyone, I list find CVS easier to use, but I expect Git will become easier over time.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
I want to directly note here that git can also push and pull to a shared directory.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do anyone have a favorite tool to follow a git history along a specific branch, and easily view complete diffs for the changes? Preferably with a way to only view merge commits to the branch and commits directly on the branch.
(Use case: I have a few months of changes to a repository I'd like to review. Most are developed in feature branches.)

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

nielsm posted:

Do anyone have a favorite tool to follow a git history along a specific branch, and easily view complete diffs for the changes? Preferably with a way to only view merge commits to the branch and commits directly on the branch.
(Use case: I have a few months of changes to a repository I'd like to review. Most are developed in feature branches.)

In general, the logging option you're looking for is --first-parent. https://stackoverflow.com/a/10248421

My favorite Git UI is Magit, which is an Emacs package. Using this, you can just hit l-l (lowercase L twice) and see the history of only the current branch, or l-o and type a branch name (with Tab to autocomplete) to see the history of a different branch. The --first-parent option is hidden by default, unfortunately, but you can set "transient" levels to reveal more advanced options like this one.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Has anyone here used Fossil? I'm liking what I read about it so far, and I might use it on some side projects to see how it goes. If anyone has any experience with it, or any major disadvantages to watch out for, I'm all ears!

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

Tequila Bob posted:

Has anyone here used Fossil? I'm liking what I read about it so far, and I might use it on some side projects to see how it goes. If anyone has any experience with it, or any major disadvantages to watch out for, I'm all ears!

I've used Fossil for a couple of private projects, and while I really like the philosophy of tracking the project rather than code, I realized that my workflow relied too much on rebasing for me to be truly comfortable with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Tequila Bob posted:

Yup, love it, and I sometimes selectively try to convert others, but usually in small ways (personal projects, etc.) at first because of the impact of network effects and path dependence for most people WRT existing VCSes they're usually already using.

And while I say "love it", that's really more a holistic statement in that I find Fossil's basic DVCS functionality unobjectionable in general as a baseline (and with better UI/UX at the command level than Git, but YMMV), the robustness of the underlying SQLite file format, and then on top of that I get all of the rest of the end user functionality in terms of the web interface, bug tracking, wiki, all-in-one executable, etc., etc. That really seals it for me.

(I should probably say I'm a very basic user of Git, if that matters. And of course I use Git because I have to if I want to consume and/or work with other projects that use it; but this is an old gripe of mine from back in the CVS days: you will eventually have to learn every VCS that at least one project [that you interact with in that way] uses. And yes, for me at least, this still does include CVS. Anyway, as for personal preferences: besides Fossil I also use Darcs too.)

minidracula fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 11, 2024